|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Do Rowe's pleas for food and medicine get noticed?
2. The groups go into what?
3. That night, Rowe has a dream about a battle and wakes to find what?
4. They then fly on to Can Tho to what compound?
5. Rowe tells the guards this news when?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dan find himself alone in the camp? Why is he alone?
2. What happens at around six o'clock?
3. What has happened to Rowe, physically?
4. How are some of the men captured or killed at this point?
5. Describe the squad's deployment to Vietnam.
6. What problems surround this plan?
7. How does Dan deal with this isolation?
8. What takes place immediately following Rowe's capture?
9. What happened to Dave at this point?
10. Describe Rowe's arrival at his training camp.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rowe is interviewed by a news reporter.
Part 1) Describe this interview. Why does Rowe respond the way he does? Do you believe many POWs responded the same way? Why or why not?
Par 2) How do the Vietcong continue to control Rowe's actions, as seen in this interview? What does this say about the power of psychological warfare?
Part 3) How did the media affect the Vietnam War? Why? How has this continued today? How has it changed the face of war? Is this good or bad? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Several escape attempts are made by the men.
Part 1) Describe these attempts. Are they successful? Why or why not? What do these attempts say about the POWs?
Part 2) How are they treated in these ways? Are you surprised by any of these consequences? Why or why not?
Part 3) How do the men use psychological warfare in some of these attempts? How do they benefit from this?
Essay Topic 3
The men are requested to admit to their "crimes."
Part 1) What specifically are the men supposed to write about? Why is this demanded of the men? How do the Vietcong encourage them to write?
Part 2) How does the psychological warfare play into these demands? Are the Vietcong successful? Explain.
Part 3) How does this plague Rowe, even after he returns home? Why?
This section contains 1,142 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)