|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. They are told they are to listen to a radio broadcast. What are the first words they hear?
2. The trip continues _________ late and arrives in Tan Son Nhut where Rowe watches departing troops head back to the United States in the plane that brought him there.
3. Dan and Rowe learn that who has been assassinated but they don't believe it?
4. Dave and John are moved out of the camp in _________ of 1965.
5. They cross rice paddies, learn from a resident that there have been enemy forces along the road recently but get no information regarding what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at around six o'clock?
2. What takes place immediately following Rowe's capture?
3. Why are the men instructed to write letters? Why do the men refuse these instructions?
4. Describe the squad's deployment to Vietnam.
5. What happens when the men are promised a Christmas celebration?
6. How do Dan and Rowe learn that Rocky is alive?
7. What are the prisoners encouraged to write? What does Rowe choose to do?
8. How does Dan deal with this isolation?
9. What operation is to take place?
10. How does Dan find himself alone in the camp? Why is he alone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The men are given a Christmas celebration.
Part 1) Describe this celebration. Why are they given this celebration? Do the Vietcong truly care about them and want to give them something to celebrate? Why or why not?
Part 2) What happens after they celebrate? Why does this happen? Should this celebration have taken place? Why or why not?
Part 3) How might this celebration, as well as the overall treatment of the POWs, be connected to the Geneva Convention?
Essay Topic 2
Rowe is debriefed.
Part 1) Describe this debriefing. Why does this take place? What purpose does it serve?
Part 2) Why is this debriefing disturbing for Rowe? How does this make a comparison between the U.S. military and the Vietcong?
Part 3) Why is this debriefing important to the U.S. military? Do they care about Rowe? Why or why not? What matters to the U.S. military, based on Rowe's debriefing? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Several escape attempts are made by the men.
Part 1) Describe these attempts. Are they successful? Why or why not? What do these attempts say about the POWs?
Part 2) How are they treated in these ways? Are you surprised by any of these consequences? Why or why not?
Part 3) How do the men use psychological warfare in some of these attempts? How do they benefit from this?
This section contains 1,197 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)