|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Rowe is continually pressed to do what?
(a) Tell the Vietcong of the American Army's location.
(b) Write a statement siding with the National Liberation Front.
(c) Commit suicide.
(d) Translate for them.
2. What prompts a flood of emotion, including tears, for Rowe?
(a) The question, "Where have you been?"
(b) The question, "What took you so long?"
(c) The question, "When are you coming home?"
(d) The question, "Why did you leave us?"
3. He waits for a rescue attempt but decides it is not going to come, so what does he do?
(a) He joins the Vietcong army.
(b) He says what the Vietcong want him to say.
(c) He plans an escape attempt of his own.
(d) He gives up.
4. What is happening to Jim?
(a) He is becoming angry.
(b) He is growing stronger.
(c) He is weakening.
(d) He is beginning to believe the Vietcong.
5. How are the next nights a nightmare of pain?
(a) He is dying from starvation.
(b) He has large welts all over his body from the whip.
(c) He is taunted by the Vietcong soldiers.
(d) He receives thousands of mosquito bites.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rowe's captor do now that he believes Rowe?
2. What happens when Rowe is moved to another base?
3. Where is Rowe discovered?
4. On September 14, what happens to Rowe?
5. At first, what do these men plan to do to Rowe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Jim?
2. How does Rowe feel about the VC prisoners being tried in Saigon? Why does he feel this way?
3. What happens when Rowe is given nets and set lines for fishing and begins catching more than he can eat most days?
4. Describe Rowe's encounter with the news reporter.
5. Describe Rowe's escape attempt.
6. What punishment is given to Rowe for refusing to write a statement siding with the National Liberation Front?
7. What does Rowe do on September 14? What does he expect from this?
8. Describe the moments soon after Rowe's rescue.
9. How does the book end?
10. Who are Herc and Ajax? Describe Rowe's relationship with them.
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)