|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rowe's captor do now that he believes Rowe?
(a) He helps Rowe find Americans.
(b) He calls for more Vietcong.
(c) He lets Rowe run away.
(d) He splits off with him away from the rest of the group.
2. What lies did Rowe tell upon his capture?
(a) He is only a sergeant.
(b) He is an engineer and has no military training.
(c) He is a doctor and has no military training.
(d) He is a pilot and has no military training.
3. How does Rowe draw attention to himself?
(a) He goes into a clearing and jumps up and down.
(b) He yells in English.
(c) He goes into a clearing and waves his white mosquito netting.
(d) He begins to scream.
4. Alone, Rowe is initially ___________________.
5. What does Rowe think about this first bite of food?
(a) The taste is too strong.
(b) It is okay.
(c) It is the best food he has ever tasted.
(d) It is very sugary.
6. What does Rowe tell the enemy?
(a) He wants to die.
(b) He is now a member of the Vietcong army.
(c) He had been gathering firewood and had become lost.
(d) He is trying to escape.
7. Rowe is told that even what will not prompt his release?
(a) His threats.
(b) His money.
(c) His acceptance of Vietcong beliefs.
(d) The end of the war.
8. What happens when Rowe is moved to another base?
(a) He is examined again and debriefed.
(b) He is ignored.
(c) He is kept in a confined space.
(d) He is allowed to rest.
9. When Rowe is asked by a news reporter if he'd been beaten, he says that he wasn't "mistreated severely" and then says that he can't go into it further. Why?
(a) Because of the possibility of retaliation on other POWs.
(b) Because he is not sure what happened to him.
(c) Because he did not want to upset the news reporter.
(d) Because he is embarrassed about his treatment.
10. Who initially sees Rowe?
(a) A nutritionist.
(b) A psychiatrist.
(c) Army personnel.
(d) A doctor.
11. Where is Rowe's mother?
(a) In the car.
(b) Inside the house.
(c) At church.
(d) With his father.
12. Someone braves punishment by doing what?
(a) Giving Rowe food.
(b) Touching Rowe's shoulder and asking if he is alright.
(c) Attacking the Vietcong.
(d) Hugging Rowe.
13. What punishment does Rowe receive when he continues to refuse the Vietcong's request?
(a) He is put in shackles in the middle of the camp.
(b) He is beaten.
(c) He is sent to bed without his clothing or his mosquito net.
(d) He is refused food.
14. How does Rowe find the will to resist?
(a) In the actions of the Vietnamese people he encounters during the tour of the region.
(b) In prayer.
(c) In the actions of the Vietcong.
(d) In the actions of his fellow POWs.
15. When does Rowe believe it seems worse to be on the verge of death?
(a) At the hands of Americans.
(b) At the hands of the Vietcong.
(c) When he has lasted this long.
(d) When he cannot defend himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. What else do the men buy?
2. How do many of the Vietnamese people feel about Rowe?
3. What do these animals do for Rowe?
4. What do Rowe's captors tell the villagers?
5. Why do the men buy raw brown sugar?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)