|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Someone braves punishment by doing what?
(a) Giving Rowe food.
(b) Attacking the Vietcong.
(c) Touching Rowe's shoulder and asking if he is alright.
(d) Hugging Rowe.
2. What do Rowe's captors tell the villagers?
(a) Rowe will be executed shortly.
(b) Rowe had deserved to die but that he was being treated leniently by the NLF.
(c) Rowe is now a member of the National Liberation Front.
(d) Rowe will be returned to the Americans.
3. He waits for a rescue attempt but decides it is not going to come, so what does he do?
(a) He gives up.
(b) He says what the Vietcong want him to say.
(c) He plans an escape attempt of his own.
(d) He joins the Vietcong army.
4. On September 14, what happens to Rowe?
(a) He is taken on a tour of the region.
(b) He is sent to a new camp.
(c) He becomes ill.
(d) He is rescued.
5. Using their own slang, what does Rowe ask the men to do?
(a) Come back for him.
(b) Let his parents know that he is alive.
(c) Help him to escape.
(d) Send a unit in to save him.
6. What do some of the guards do to the animals?
(a) They play with them.
(b) They feed them.
(c) They torment them.
(d) They try to catch them.
7. How are the next nights a nightmare of pain?
(a) He is taunted by the Vietcong soldiers.
(b) He has large welts all over his body from the whip.
(c) He is dying from starvation.
(d) He receives thousands of mosquito bites.
8. Is Rowe punished?
(a) Yes, somewhat severely.
(b) Yes, but not severely.
(c) Yes, severely.
(d) No, not at all.
9. Who initially sees Rowe?
(a) A nutritionist.
(b) Army personnel.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A psychiatrist.
10. What happens to Rowe's camp?
(a) It is captured.
(b) It is destroyed.
(c) It is invaded.
(d) It is bombed again.
11. Rowe arrives at a hospital and is allowed to talk to whom by phone?
(a) His friends.
(b) His children.
(c) His mother and father.
(d) His wife.
12. What happens when one attacks a guard who comes too close?
(a) It is eaten.
(b) It is tortured.
(c) Its wing is clipped.
(d) It is killed.
13. What does Rowe tell the enemy?
(a) He wants to die.
(b) He is now a member of the Vietcong army.
(c) He is trying to escape.
(d) He had been gathering firewood and had become lost.
14. How does Rowe find that he is about to be moved to "the Zone" where he would do as commanded or die?
(a) Occasionally he has the opportunity to go through papers in the camp.
(b) He is told by the camp commander.
(c) He overhears his captors talking.
(d) One of the Vietcong has decided to try to help him.
15. What does Rowe know about Jim?
(a) He has been giving information to the Vietcong.
(b) He has made plans to escape.
(c) He has stopped eating.
(d) He has started to decline to death.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Rowe is moved to another base?
2. With his first money, what does Rowe buy?
3. Rowe is told that he and the other prisoners can do what?
4. How does Rowe feel after eating this meal?
5. What has Rowe been repeatedly told regarding the National Liberation Front?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)