|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eddie tell his father at the diner?
2. What was Eddie's promotion?
3. Who mentally hurts Eddie in Chapter Eight?
4. Why was Eddie sad when he was living?
5. How many lessons have been learned thus far?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Chapter Twelve used as the denouement?
2. What does the reader learn about Eddie through the short snippets describing his various birthdays?
3. How is Eddie's and Marguerite's relationship impacted by the fallout from the track and Marguerite's accident?
4. Clearly, Chapter thirteen is used as the falling action for the reader. How is Tala's lesson a resolution for Eddie, as well?
5. Why does Ruby know all of the details of Eddie's father?
6. How does Eddie feel when he returns home from the VA hospital?
7. Eddie washes Tala with a stone. What is the significance of this action?
8. For what was Eddie supposed to save his money, instead of gambling?
9. Who is the child Eddie meets in Heaven, and why is she significant?
10. How does Albom use Eddie's birthdays to pass time in Chapter Twelve?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mitch Albom effectively uses symbolism throughout the novel. Discuss why his use of color as a symbol works to help deliver the impact of the rising action.
Essay Topic 2
The Blue Man tells Eddie, "That there are no random acts. That we are all connected. That you can no more separate one life from another than you can separate a breeze from the wind." (p. 48, ll. 1-3) Show how this quote is one of the main lessons throughout the novel. Be sure to cite at least three specific examples and connect them back to the quote.
Essay Topic 3
Tala is the fifth and most important person Eddie meets in Heaven. What does she teach Eddie? Why is Tala so important in Eddie's life? Why does Albom introduce her as Eddie's last person, rather than using Marguerite, Eddie's great love?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)