|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "Life has to end; love doesn't."?
2. What is the lesson in Chapter Eleven?
3. How does Eddie feel when he returns home from the war?
4. What does Eddie's co-worker say about Eddie?
5. Why does Marguerite spend six months in the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Eddie feel when he returns home from the VA hospital?
2. What was Eddie's relationship like with his father?
3. Is the estate attorney's view of Eddie accurate? Why or why not?
4. At this point, Albom has shown the reader a span of seventy-five years in only ten, short chapters. How is Albom's storytelling effective?
5. Clearly, Chapter thirteen is used as the falling action for the reader. How is Tala's lesson a resolution for Eddie, as well?
6. Why is a reception hall an appropriate place for Eddie to meet Marguerite in Heaven?
7. Eddie washes Tala with a stone. What is the significance of this action?
8. How will Amy or Annie's visit to Heaven be connected to Eddie?
9. Who is the child Eddie meets in Heaven, and why is she significant?
10. How does the fifth person Eddie meets in Heaven reveal Eddie's character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Albom includes the time Eddie serves in the war as an important part of Eddie's life. How is Eddie's emotional state similar to the physical destruction caused by war? How does Eddie finally make peace with himself throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the concept of Heaven. What is your idea of Heaven? What was Eddie's expectation, before meeting the Blue Man? How does Eddie's actual journey through Heaven compare to your own thoughts of such a place?
Essay Topic 3
Mitch Albom introduces silence as an effective symbol several times throughout the novel. Identify three different instances where silence is employed, and explain why its use is so effective. Make sure to cite your references.
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)