|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "weddings are for possibilities."?
2. Of what does Marguerite assure Eddie in Chapter Eleven?
3. What was Eddie's promotion?
4. What does the author show the reader through all of Eddie's five people?
5. Who is the fourth person Eddie meets in Heaven?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Chapter Twelve used as the denouement?
2. What does Marguerite teach Eddie in Heaven?
3. Explain Ruby's lesson to Eddie.
4. At this point, Albom has shown the reader a span of seventy-five years in only ten, short chapters. How is Albom's storytelling effective?
5. Clearly, Chapter thirteen is used as the falling action for the reader. How is Tala's lesson a resolution for Eddie, as well?
6. How is Eddie's and Marguerite's relationship impacted by the fallout from the track and Marguerite's accident?
7. Who is the child Eddie meets in Heaven, and why is she significant?
8. How does the estate attorney view Eddie's life?
9. What does the reader learn about Eddie through the short snippets describing his various birthdays?
10. How does Eddie feel when he returns home from the VA hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mitch Albom effectively uses his own experiences with relatives to create Eddie and his other characters. Draw connections between the people in Albom's life and those in Eddie's life. Write an essay paralleling the similarities and contrasting the differences.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the fact that Eddie still worked at the Pier at age eighty-three. Next, recall Eddie's relationship with his father and his brother. Using facts from the novel, write an essay where Eddie's father and Eddie's brother are two of the people Eddie meets in Heaven. What lessons would they teach Eddie? How might their interactions play out?
Essay Topic 3
Tala is the fifth and most important person Eddie meets in Heaven. What does she teach Eddie? Why is Tala so important in Eddie's life? Why does Albom introduce her as Eddie's last person, rather than using Marguerite, Eddie's great love?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)