|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joe do for a living?
2. For whom does Eddie's father cry when he is hospitalized?
3. How does Eddie feel about his father?
4. Who is Tala?
5. In Chapter Eleven, where is the story set?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what was Eddie supposed to save his money, instead of gambling?
2. What was Eddie's relationship like with his father?
3. Who is the child Eddie meets in Heaven, and why is she significant?
4. How does the reader know that Eddie's memory will be kept alive at the Pier?
5. How does Eddie's father die?
6. Why does Ruby know all of the details of Eddie's father?
7. Is the estate attorney's view of Eddie accurate? Why or why not?
8. What does the reader learn about Eddie through the short snippets describing his various birthdays?
9. Eddie's father saves Mickey Shea. Considering Mickey's actions, what does this rescue say about Eddie's father?
10. How does the estate attorney view Eddie's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The estate attorney at the end of the novel comments on what a "poor slob" Eddie is because he has no material possessions. How is Eddie actually rich, without consideration of material possessions?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the concept of Heaven. What is your idea of Heaven? What was Eddie's expectation, before meeting the Blue Man? How does Eddie's actual journey through Heaven compare to your own thoughts of such a place?
Essay Topic 3
The reader first meets Eddie as an eighty-three year old man who performs maintenance at Ruby Pier. As the story unfolds, the reader learns of Eddie's younger years, and the action takes the reader back to the moment of his death when Eddie finally comes "home" to Heaven. Discuss how the novel comes full circle, being sure to reference several main points from Eddie's life.
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)