|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the story end?
2. Who says, "You have peace when you make it with yourself."?
3. Why does Marguerite spend six months in the hospital?
4. Who is Tala?
5. How does Eddie feel about his father?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Eddie's and Marguerite's relationship impacted by the fallout from the track and Marguerite's accident?
2. Why is the stranger Eddie meets in Chapter Eight so significant in his life?
3. How does Albom use Eddie's birthdays to pass time in Chapter Twelve?
4. How will Amy or Annie's visit to Heaven be connected to Eddie?
5. How does the estate attorney view Eddie's life?
6. How do Eddie's actions on his thirty-ninth birthday contribute to Marguerite's accident?
7. Why does Ruby know all of the details of Eddie's father?
8. What symbols does the author use in Chapter Twelve?
9. For what was Eddie supposed to save his money, instead of gambling?
10. How does Eddie's father die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Captain tells Eddie, "When you sacrifice something that is precious, you don't actually lose it. " (Chapter 7) How is the Captain's statement relevant to Eddie's entire life, not just to his leg injury? Be sure to cite at least three examples.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the fact that Eddie still worked at the Pier at age eighty-three. Next, recall Eddie's relationship with his father and his brother. Using facts from the novel, write an essay where Eddie's father and Eddie's brother are two of the people Eddie meets in Heaven. What lessons would they teach Eddie? How might their interactions play out?
Essay Topic 3
Albom includes the time Eddie serves in the war as an important part of Eddie's life. How is Eddie's emotional state similar to the physical destruction caused by war? How does Eddie finally make peace with himself throughout the novel?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)