|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Eddie's father die?
2. In Chapter Eleven, where is the story set?
3. How old is Marguerite when she dies?
4. What is Eddie's first birthday after Marguerite's death?
5. Who says, "Is where you were supposed to be, Eddie Main-ten-ance"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the reader know that Eddie's memory will be kept alive at the Pier?
2. How is Eddie's and Marguerite's relationship impacted by the fallout from the track and Marguerite's accident?
3. How does Eddie's father die?
4. Describe Eddie's relationship with Joe.
5. Explain Ruby's lesson to Eddie.
6. How will Amy or Annie's visit to Heaven be connected to Eddie?
7. At this point, Albom has shown the reader a span of seventy-five years in only ten, short chapters. How is Albom's storytelling effective?
8. How does Eddie feel when he returns home from the VA hospital?
9. Is the estate attorney's view of Eddie accurate? Why or why not?
10. How does Albom use Eddie's birthdays to pass time in Chapter Twelve?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mitch Albom effectively uses symbolism throughout the novel. Discuss why his use of color as a symbol works to help deliver the impact of the rising action.
Essay Topic 2
Mitch Albom tells the story of Eddie by using many effective literary devices. How does his use of flashback, foreshadowing, and suspense propel the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Albom changes the setting many times throughout the novel, but Ruby Pier remains as the main focus. Discuss how the Ruby Pier of Eddie's childhood, the Ruby Pier of the past, and the Ruby Pier of the present serve as effective settings for the novel.
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)