|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what does the Captain save his men?
2. What causes malfunction to the cable holding the Freddie Fall car in place?
3. What does Eddie wonder about in Chapter Seven?
4. What is the significance of the field in the opening of Chapter Seven?
5. What birthday does Eddie celebrate in Chapter Five?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Albom use Eddie's birthdays to pass time in Chapter Twelve?
2. How does the author traverse time and introduce the reader to different points in Eddie's life?
3. Who is the child Eddie meets in Heaven, and why is she significant?
4. Why is the stranger Eddie meets in Chapter Eight so significant in his life?
5. Discuss the significance of Albom's use of color in Chapter Two?
6. How do Eddie's actions on his thirty-ninth birthday contribute to Marguerite's accident?
7. What does Eddie feel from the Blue Man when the Blue Man hugs Eddie?
8. Discuss Eddie's encounter with the first character he meets in Heaven, the Blue Man.
9. Is the estate attorney's view of Eddie accurate? Why or why not?
10. What is the significance, or lack of significance, of time in Heaven?
Essay Topic 1
Tala is the fifth and most important person Eddie meets in Heaven. What does she teach Eddie? Why is Tala so important in Eddie's life? Why does Albom introduce her as Eddie's last person, rather than using Marguerite, Eddie's great love?
Essay Topic 2
Many themes are seen throughout the novel. Three that are most prevalent include: forgiveness, acceptance, and the importance of love in a person's life. Using the three aforementioned themes as points in your response, highlight what you have learned about these themes as used in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Mitch Albom introduces silence as an effective symbol several times throughout the novel. Identify three different instances where silence is employed, and explain why its use is so effective. Make sure to cite your references.
This section contains 1,838 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)