|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eddie see when he dies?
2. Who restores peace to Eddie's household in Chapter Five?
3. What birthday does Eddie celebrate in Chapter Five?
4. What does Eddie hear once he dies?
5. What happens to Eddie at the end of Chapter One?
Short Essay Questions
1. Eddie tries to return to the burning tent to save a child. What does this action reveal about Eddie's character?
2. Before Eddie speaks to the little girl at the park, about what/whom was he daydreaming?
3. In Chapter Seven, how does Mitch Albom use suspense to propel the action?
4. The Pier serves as a home for the Blue Man, and as a place with many memories for Eddie, some fond, some unpleasant. Discuss the significance of the encounters at the Pier in Chapter Four as a place to confront damaged emotions.
5. What does Eddie feel from the Blue Man when the Blue Man hugs Eddie?
6. Discuss the meaning of the Captain's quote, "When you sacrifice something that is precious, you don't actually lose it. "
7. How does Eddie's time spent on the Pier save him during the war?
8. Why is Eddie confused about the fact that he is still on Ruby Pier?
9. Discuss the foreshadowing of Uncle Mickey's character with regard to his actions towards Eddie on his fifth birthday.
10. What does the reader learn about "Eddie Maintenance" in Chapter One?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Albom introduces the reader to a little girl in Chapter One named Amy or Annie. Why is her name unspecified? Aside from the fact that Eddie tries to save her, what is her role in Eddie's life? What is Eddie's role in her life? How will the story continue to spin, even after the end of the novel, as outlined by the author?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the concept of Heaven. What is your idea of Heaven? What was Eddie's expectation, before meeting the Blue Man? How does Eddie's actual journey through Heaven compare to your own thoughts of such a place?
Essay Topic 3
Mitch Albom effectively uses his own experiences with relatives to create Eddie and his other characters. Draw connections between the people in Albom's life and those in Eddie's life. Write an essay paralleling the similarities and contrasting the differences.
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)