|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes the Blue Man's death?
2. What does Eddie remember thinking, right after he dies?
3. What does Eddie learn from the Blue Man?
4. How old is Eddie in Chapter Two?
5. What dance does Eddie recall before the time he was crippled?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Eddie realizes the danger is not over at the Freddy Free Fall?
2. What are the first images the reader gets of Ruby Pier?
3. The Blue Man tells Eddie, "there are no random acts...we are all connected..." Explain this quote as it relates to the Blue Man and Eddie.
4. Discuss the foreshadowing of Uncle Mickey's character with regard to his actions towards Eddie on his fifth birthday.
5. The Captain tells Eddie that dying is only the beginning. What could the Captain mean by this statement?
6. Discuss the meaning of the Captain's quote, "When you sacrifice something that is precious, you don't actually lose it. "
7. How does Albom reveal the relationship between Joe and Eddie in Chapter Four?
8. What does Eddie learn about his leg injury in Chapter Six, and who shares with Eddie this revelation?
9. Eddie tries to return to the burning tent to save a child. What does this action reveal about Eddie's character?
10. How is Eddie feeling, now that he has awakened in Heaven?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The reader first meets Eddie as an eighty-three year old man who performs maintenance at Ruby Pier. As the story unfolds, the reader learns of Eddie's younger years, and the action takes the reader back to the moment of his death when Eddie finally comes "home" to Heaven. Discuss how the novel comes full circle, being sure to reference several main points from Eddie's life.
Essay Topic 2
Albom changes the setting many times throughout the novel, but Ruby Pier remains as the main focus. Discuss how the Ruby Pier of Eddie's childhood, the Ruby Pier of the past, and the Ruby Pier of the present serve as effective settings for the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Eddie learns that his life has helped to save the lives of many others. How might the five people Eddie meets in Heaven be impacted if Eddie had NOT been involved in their lives? Discuss how the Blue Man, Tala, Amy or Annie, Marguerite, and Ruby might have entirely different lives if it were not for Eddie.
This section contains 1,138 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)