|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What lesson does Eddie learn in Chapter Seven?
2. What happens to Eddie at the end of Chapter One?
3. What does the young man at the Pier lose, causing havoc later?
4. How does Eddie feel when he wakes up?
5. In Chapter Three, where does Eddie stop at the Pier?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the foreshadowing of Uncle Mickey's character with regard to his actions towards Eddie on his fifth birthday.
2. How is Eddie feeling, now that he has awakened in Heaven?
3. What does Eddie feel from the Blue Man when the Blue Man hugs Eddie?
4. How does Eddie's time spent on the Pier save him during the war?
5. In Chapter Seven, how does Mitch Albom use suspense to propel the action?
6. Discuss the significance of Albom's use of color in Chapter Two?
7. What is Eddie's role in the death of the Blue Man?
8. What does Eddie learn about his leg injury in Chapter Six, and who shares with Eddie this revelation?
9. How does Albom reveal the relationship between Joe and Eddie in Chapter Four?
10. When the action returns to Ruby Pier, the reader finds the park closed. How does Eddie's death impact the Pier?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of childhood innocence clearly plays an essential role in this novel as related to the life of the protagonist. Identify several examples of how childhood innocence helps to teach Eddie about the importance of his own life.
Essay Topic 2
In most novels, minor characters are simply used to assist the plot. In THE FIVE PEOPLE YOU MEET IN HEAVEN, however, Albom uses minor characters to more profoundly impact his protagonist. Discuss how Mickey Shea, Eddie's father, and Ruby are essential to move the plot along.
Essay Topic 3
Eddie learns that his life has helped to save the lives of many others. How might the five people Eddie meets in Heaven be impacted if Eddie had NOT been involved in their lives? Discuss how the Blue Man, Tala, Amy or Annie, Marguerite, and Ruby might have entirely different lives if it were not for Eddie.
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)