|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who usually starts the workday at Ruby Pier?
2. What does Eddie learn about Heaven in Chapter Four?
3. Who says, "the human spirit knows, deep down, that all lives intersect....death doesn't take someone, it misses someone else, and in the small distance between being taken and being missed, lives are changed."?
4. Where does the reader learn that Eddie and three other soldiers are being held?
5. When is Chapter Three set?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Eddie feel from the Blue Man when the Blue Man hugs Eddie?
2. Eddie tries to return to the burning tent to save a child. What does this action reveal about Eddie's character?
3. When the action returns to Ruby Pier, the reader finds the park closed. How does Eddie's death impact the Pier?
4. What is the significance, or lack of significance, of time in Heaven?
5. How does Albom reveal the relationship between Joe and Eddie in Chapter Four?
6. What does the reader learn about "Eddie Maintenance" in Chapter One?
7. The Pier serves as a home for the Blue Man, and as a place with many memories for Eddie, some fond, some unpleasant. Discuss the significance of the encounters at the Pier in Chapter Four as a place to confront damaged emotions.
8. Before Eddie speaks to the little girl at the park, about what/whom was he daydreaming?
9. What is the symbolism of the water in Chapter Two?
10. How does Eddie's time spent on the Pier save him during the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the concept of Heaven. What is your idea of Heaven? What was Eddie's expectation, before meeting the Blue Man? How does Eddie's actual journey through Heaven compare to your own thoughts of such a place?
Essay Topic 2
Mitch Albom tells the story of Eddie by using many effective literary devices. How does his use of flashback, foreshadowing, and suspense propel the novel?
Essay Topic 3
The estate attorney at the end of the novel comments on what a "poor slob" Eddie is because he has no material possessions. How is Eddie actually rich, without consideration of material possessions?
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)