|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What dance does Eddie recall before the time he was crippled?
2. How does Eddie feel when he wakes up?
3. In death, what step is Ruby Pier for the Blue Man?
4. What do Eddie and the other three soldiers have to do while imprisoned?
5. What does Eddie learn from the Blue Man?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens in the plot when Eddie asks the Blue Man if he saves the little girl at the Pier?
2. Discuss the significance of the title of Chapter Two, "The Journey."
3. How does Albom reveal the relationship between Joe and Eddie in Chapter Four?
4. Discuss the foreshadowing of Uncle Mickey's character with regard to his actions towards Eddie on his fifth birthday.
5. In Chapter Six, what do the readers learn of Eddie's expectations of himself and from his life? Are these expectations met?
6. What is the significance, or lack of significance, of time in Heaven?
7. Eddie no longer feels any pain. Why might his loss of pain be significant to being in Heaven?
8. The readers learn that today is Eddie's birthday. What is his mood as the little girl approaches him in Chapter One?
9. Discuss the significance of Albom's use of color in Chapter Two?
10. Before Eddie speaks to the little girl at the park, about what/whom was he daydreaming?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Albom includes the time Eddie serves in the war as an important part of Eddie's life. How is Eddie's emotional state similar to the physical destruction caused by war? How does Eddie finally make peace with himself throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 2
The reader first meets Eddie as an eighty-three year old man who performs maintenance at Ruby Pier. As the story unfolds, the reader learns of Eddie's younger years, and the action takes the reader back to the moment of his death when Eddie finally comes "home" to Heaven. Discuss how the novel comes full circle, being sure to reference several main points from Eddie's life.
Essay Topic 3
Tala is the fifth and most important person Eddie meets in Heaven. What does she teach Eddie? Why is Tala so important in Eddie's life? Why does Albom introduce her as Eddie's last person, rather than using Marguerite, Eddie's great love?
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)