|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Captain receive from Eddie?
2. When was the freak show shut down?
3. Who is the second person Eddie meets in Heaven?
4. What causes the Blue Man to become blue?
5. What does Eddie learn from the Blue Man?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Eddie confused about the fact that he is still on Ruby Pier?
2. Discuss the meaning of the Captain's quote, "When you sacrifice something that is precious, you don't actually lose it. "
3. How does Eddie's time spent on the Pier save him during the war?
4. What is the symbolism of the water in Chapter Two?
5. Eddie tries to return to the burning tent to save a child. What does this action reveal about Eddie's character?
6. What does the reader learn about "Eddie Maintenance" in Chapter One?
7. How is Eddie feeling, now that he has awakened in Heaven?
8. Discuss the significance of the title of Chapter Three, "The Arrival".
9. What is the significance, or lack of significance, of time in Heaven?
10. Discuss the significance of the title of Chapter Two, "The Journey."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Albom introduces the reader to a little girl in Chapter One named Amy or Annie. Why is her name unspecified? Aside from the fact that Eddie tries to save her, what is her role in Eddie's life? What is Eddie's role in her life? How will the story continue to spin, even after the end of the novel, as outlined by the author?
Essay Topic 2
Albom includes the time Eddie serves in the war as an important part of Eddie's life. How is Eddie's emotional state similar to the physical destruction caused by war? How does Eddie finally make peace with himself throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Consider the fact that Eddie still worked at the Pier at age eighty-three. Next, recall Eddie's relationship with his father and his brother. Using facts from the novel, write an essay where Eddie's father and Eddie's brother are two of the people Eddie meets in Heaven. What lessons would they teach Eddie? How might their interactions play out?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)