Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes malfunction to the cable holding the Freddie Fall car in place?
2. What is the new ride at Ruby Pier?
3. What does Eddie hear once he dies?
4. How does Eddie feel about the safety of Ruby Pier?
5. What birthday does Eddie celebrate in Chapter Five?
Short Essay Questions
1. Eddie no longer feels any pain. Why might his loss of pain be significant to being in Heaven?
2. What is Eddie's role in the death of the Blue Man?
3. At this point, Albom has shown the reader a span of seventy-five years in only ten, short chapters. How is Albom's storytelling effective?
4. How does Eddie's time spent on the Pier save him during the war?
5. In Chapter Seven, how does Mitch Albom use suspense to propel the action?
6. What was Eddie's relationship like with his father?
7. What are the first images the reader gets of Ruby Pier?
8. Discuss the significance of Albom's use of color in Chapter Two?
9. Discuss the significance of the title of Chapter Three, "The Arrival".
10. Why does Ruby know all of the details of Eddie's father?
Essay Topic 1
THE FIVE PEOPLE YOU MEET IN HEAVEN is didactic in nature. Cite and discuss three lessons that resonate with you. First, identify their relevance in the novel. Then, discuss these lessons as they impacted you. If you do not have three particularly favorite lessons, identify the three lessons that would apply to most people in today's society.
Essay Topic 2
Albom introduces the reader to a little girl in Chapter One named Amy or Annie. Why is her name unspecified? Aside from the fact that Eddie tries to save her, what is her role in Eddie's life? What is Eddie's role in her life? How will the story continue to spin, even after the end of the novel, as outlined by the author?
Essay Topic 3
In most novels, minor characters are simply used to assist the plot. In THE FIVE PEOPLE YOU MEET IN HEAVEN, however, Albom uses minor characters to more profoundly impact his protagonist. Discuss how Mickey Shea, Eddie's father, and Ruby are essential to move the plot along.
This section contains 1,030 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)