|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes malfunction to the cable holding the Freddie Fall car in place?
2. Where does Eddie wind up on his journey through death in Chapter Two?
3. Who says, "you can no more separate one life from another than you can separate a breeze from the wind."?
4. How does Eddie's leg become crippled?
5. What is the last thing Eddie remembers physically feeling before he dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Eddie realizes the danger is not over at the Freddy Free Fall?
2. Eddie no longer feels any pain. Why might his loss of pain be significant to being in Heaven?
3. What happens in the plot when Eddie asks the Blue Man if he saves the little girl at the Pier?
4. What does Eddie feel from the Blue Man when the Blue Man hugs Eddie?
5. The Captain tells Eddie that dying is only the beginning. What could the Captain mean by this statement?
6. When the action returns to Ruby Pier, the reader finds the park closed. How does Eddie's death impact the Pier?
7. What is Eddie's role in the death of the Blue Man?
8. Discuss Eddie's encounter with the first character he meets in Heaven, the Blue Man.
9. How does the author traverse time and introduce the reader to different points in Eddie's life?
10. The Pier serves as a home for the Blue Man, and as a place with many memories for Eddie, some fond, some unpleasant. Discuss the significance of the encounters at the Pier in Chapter Four as a place to confront damaged emotions.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Captain tells Eddie, "When you sacrifice something that is precious, you don't actually lose it. " (Chapter 7) How is the Captain's statement relevant to Eddie's entire life, not just to his leg injury? Be sure to cite at least three examples.
Essay Topic 2
Mitch Albom effectively uses his own experiences with relatives to create Eddie and his other characters. Draw connections between the people in Albom's life and those in Eddie's life. Write an essay paralleling the similarities and contrasting the differences.
Essay Topic 3
Albom introduces the reader to a little girl in Chapter One named Amy or Annie. Why is her name unspecified? Aside from the fact that Eddie tries to save her, what is her role in Eddie's life? What is Eddie's role in her life? How will the story continue to spin, even after the end of the novel, as outlined by the author?
This section contains 1,163 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)