|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the last thing Eddie remembers physically feeling before he dies?
2. Who prevents a fatal accident at the Freddie Fall?
3. What is the new ride at Ruby Pier?
4. What birthday does Eddie celebrate in Chapter Five?
5. What dance does Eddie recall before the time he was crippled?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Eddie realizes the danger is not over at the Freddy Free Fall?
2. What happens at Freddy Free Fall to cause Eddie to reevaluate the safety of this ride?
3. Discuss Eddie's encounter with the first character he meets in Heaven, the Blue Man.
4. What happens in the plot when Eddie asks the Blue Man if he saves the little girl at the Pier?
5. How does Albom reveal the relationship between Joe and Eddie in Chapter Four?
6. Eddie tries to return to the burning tent to save a child. What does this action reveal about Eddie's character?
7. Discuss the meaning of the Captain's quote, "When you sacrifice something that is precious, you don't actually lose it. "
8. What are the first images the reader gets of Ruby Pier?
9. In Chapter Six, what do the readers learn of Eddie's expectations of himself and from his life? Are these expectations met?
10. In Chapter Seven, how does Mitch Albom use suspense to propel the action?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In most novels, minor characters are simply used to assist the plot. In THE FIVE PEOPLE YOU MEET IN HEAVEN, however, Albom uses minor characters to more profoundly impact his protagonist. Discuss how Mickey Shea, Eddie's father, and Ruby are essential to move the plot along.
Essay Topic 2
Many themes are seen throughout the novel. Three that are most prevalent include: forgiveness, acceptance, and the importance of love in a person's life. Using the three aforementioned themes as points in your response, highlight what you have learned about these themes as used in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Albom introduces the reader to a little girl in Chapter One named Amy or Annie. Why is her name unspecified? Aside from the fact that Eddie tries to save her, what is her role in Eddie's life? What is Eddie's role in her life? How will the story continue to spin, even after the end of the novel, as outlined by the author?
This section contains 1,005 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)