|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the new ride at Ruby Pier?
2. What happens to the little girl that Eddie talks with on the platform of Freddie Fall?
3. What causes malfunction to the cable holding the Freddie Fall car in place?
4. What birthday does Eddie celebrate in Chapter Five?
5. What world event is happening in Chapter Five?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the foreshadowing of Uncle Mickey's character with regard to his actions towards Eddie on his fifth birthday.
2. Discuss Eddie's encounter with the first character he meets in Heaven, the Blue Man.
3. Discuss the significance of Albom's use of color in Chapter Two?
4. In Chapter Six, what do the readers learn of Eddie's expectations of himself and from his life? Are these expectations met?
5. What is the symbolism of the water in Chapter Two?
6. How does the author traverse time and introduce the reader to different points in Eddie's life?
7. What does Eddie feel from the Blue Man when the Blue Man hugs Eddie?
8. Discuss the significance of the title of Chapter Two, "The Journey."
9. Why is Eddie confused about the fact that he is still on Ruby Pier?
10. What happens in the plot when Eddie asks the Blue Man if he saves the little girl at the Pier?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The reader first meets Eddie as an eighty-three year old man who performs maintenance at Ruby Pier. As the story unfolds, the reader learns of Eddie's younger years, and the action takes the reader back to the moment of his death when Eddie finally comes "home" to Heaven. Discuss how the novel comes full circle, being sure to reference several main points from Eddie's life.
Essay Topic 2
Mitch Albom effectively uses his own experiences with relatives to create Eddie and his other characters. Draw connections between the people in Albom's life and those in Eddie's life. Write an essay paralleling the similarities and contrasting the differences.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the fact that Eddie still worked at the Pier at age eighty-three. Next, recall Eddie's relationship with his father and his brother. Using facts from the novel, write an essay where Eddie's father and Eddie's brother are two of the people Eddie meets in Heaven. What lessons would they teach Eddie? How might their interactions play out?
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)