|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Eddie feel when he returns home from the war?
(a) Useless and used.
(b) Depressed and helpless.
(c) Sad and resentful.
(d) Angry and hurt.
2. Who tries to save Mickey Shea from drowning?
(a) Eddie's father.
(b) An ocean lifeguard.
(c) A carnival worker.
3. What does Eddie say to Marguerite about the war?
(a) "It was unbearable."
(b) "Too much bloodshed caused too much pain."
(c) "I killed ten men."
(d) "I lost myself."
4. Where does the story end?
(a) In the present, at the Pier.
(b) In Heaven.
(c) In the future, at the Pier.
(d) In the past, at the Pier.
5. Who is Tala?
(a) The girl who dies in the tent in the Philippines.
(b) A child Eddie kept safe by doing his job at the Pier.
(c) The girl Eddie saves from Freddy Fall.
(d) His daughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eddie tell Marguerite?
2. Who mentally hurts Eddie in Chapter Eight?
3. What does Eddie tell his father at the diner?
4. What does Eddie realize about his life as a maintenance worker, after speaking with Tala?
5. How does Eddie help to make Tala whole again?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Eddie's and Marguerite's relationship impacted by the fallout from the track and Marguerite's accident?
2. How does the fifth person Eddie meets in Heaven reveal Eddie's character?
3. How does the estate attorney view Eddie's life?
4. For what was Eddie supposed to save his money, instead of gambling?
5. What does Marguerite teach Eddie in Heaven?
6. What does the reader learn about Eddie through the short snippets describing his various birthdays?
7. How will Amy or Annie's visit to Heaven be connected to Eddie?
8. What was Eddie's relationship like with his father?
9. How is the person whose key shredded the cable connected to the Pier?
10. Who is the child Eddie meets in Heaven, and why is she significant?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)