|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Eddie realize about his life as a maintenance worker, after speaking with Tala?
(a) That he saved many children by keeping them safe on the rides.
(b) That many people looked up to him.
(c) That it was mundane.
(d) That keeping the Pier clean was worthwhile.
2. What is the lesson in Chapter Eleven?
(a) Forgiveness comes easily with love.
(b) Lost love is still love; it just takes a different form.
(c) Life is short and there is no time for regret.
(d) It's better to have loved and lost than never loved at all.
3. In Chapter Eleven, where is the story set?
(a) The boardwalk.
(b) The Pier and Eddie's apartment.
(c) The ocean.
(d) The Pier and Eddie's car.
4. Who takes over Eddie's job?
(a) The tall man from the carnival.
(b) Eddie's assistant.
(d) Uncle Mickey.
5. Who tries to save Mickey Shea from drowning?
(a) Eddie's father.
(c) A carnival worker.
(d) An ocean lifeguard.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the reader learn about Eddie's character in Chapter Eight?
2. Of what does Marguerite assure Eddie in Chapter Eleven?
3. In Chapter Twelve, who beckons Eddie to come nearer?
4. How does Eddie feel about his life without Marguerite?
5. Why is Eddie envious of Joe?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the person whose key shredded the cable connected to the Pier?
2. Why does Ruby know all of the details of Eddie's father?
3. How does Eddie feel when he returns home from the VA hospital?
4. How does Eddie's father die?
5. Clearly, Chapter thirteen is used as the falling action for the reader. How is Tala's lesson a resolution for Eddie, as well?
6. How does the fifth person Eddie meets in Heaven reveal Eddie's character?
7. Explain Ruby's lesson to Eddie.
8. What does Marguerite teach Eddie in Heaven?
9. How does the estate attorney view Eddie's life?
10. Why is the stranger Eddie meets in Chapter Eight so significant in his life?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)