|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What talent does Eddie have that eventually helps him escape from prison during the war?
(a) He does magic tricks.
(b) He sings.
(c) He's a comedian.
(d) He juggles.
2. In the scene played out in Chapter Five, what does Joe do to make Eddie angry?
(a) He punches Eddie.
(b) He lies to Eddie.
(c) He steals Eddie's girl.
(d) He shares Eddie's news of marriage plans.
3. How does Eddie feel about the safety of Ruby Pier?
(a) He feels happy that it is one of the last small amusement parks still open.
(b) He is concerned that it is old and the rides are worn.
(c) He is proud that it has a perfect safety record.
(d) He is worried that it will be closed due to safety hazards.
4. What is Eddie's last memory of being alive?
(a) The cart falling on the little girl.
(b) The war.
(d) Working at the Pier.
5. Where does Eddie wind up on his journey through death in Chapter Two?
(a) In Heaven.
(b) At the Pier.
(c) In a field.
(d) Under water.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eddie hear once he dies?
2. What literary device does the author repetitively use to reveal clues about Eddie's life?
3. What is different about Ruby Pier when Eddie wakes up?
4. What color is the sea that Eddie sees?
5. What dance does Eddie recall before the time he was crippled?
Short Essay Questions
1. Eddie washes Tala with a stone. What is the significance of this action?
2. How is Eddie feeling, now that he has awakened in Heaven?
3. What does the reader learn about Eddie through the short snippets describing his various birthdays?
4. Clearly, Chapter thirteen is used as the falling action for the reader. How is Tala's lesson a resolution for Eddie, as well?
5. How does Eddie feel when he returns home from the VA hospital?
6. Eddie's father saves Mickey Shea. Considering Mickey's actions, what does this rescue say about Eddie's father?
7. How does the reader know that Eddie's memory will be kept alive at the Pier?
8. What does the reader learn about "Eddie Maintenance" in Chapter One?
9. What does Eddie learn about his leg injury in Chapter Six, and who shares with Eddie this revelation?
10. What does Tala teach Eddie?
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)