|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What birthday does Eddie celebrate in Chapter Five?
2. Why can't Eddie play with the erector set he received for his eighth birthday?
(a) He misbehaved.
(b) He has to attend a funeral.
(c) It breaks before he can use it.
(d) His father takes it away.
3. Who is Uncle Mickey?
(a) Eddie's father's brother.
(b) Marguerite's brother.
(c) An old friend of Marguerite's.
(d) He works with Eddie's dad at the Pier.
4. What promise did the Captain make?
(a) To leave none of his men behind.
(b) To come home from the war soon.
(c) To return Rabozzo's body to his home.
(d) To save many lives.
5. What is Eddie's last memory of being alive?
(b) Working at the Pier.
(c) The cart falling on the little girl.
(d) The war.
Short Answer Questions
1. What world event is happening in Chapter Five?
2. In death, what step is Ruby Pier for the Blue Man?
3. Who is the first person Eddie meets in Heaven?
4. What causes malfunction to the cable holding the Freddie Fall car in place?
5. Why is Ruby Pier closed in Chapter Seven?
Short Essay Questions
1. Eddie tries to return to the burning tent to save a child. What does this action reveal about Eddie's character?
2. The Pier serves as a home for the Blue Man, and as a place with many memories for Eddie, some fond, some unpleasant. Discuss the significance of the encounters at the Pier in Chapter Four as a place to confront damaged emotions.
3. Discuss the meaning of the Captain's quote, "When you sacrifice something that is precious, you don't actually lose it. "
4. What does the reader learn about "Eddie Maintenance" in Chapter One?
5. Discuss Eddie's encounter with the first character he meets in Heaven, the Blue Man.
6. What happens when Eddie realizes the danger is not over at the Freddy Free Fall?
7. Why is it significant that Eddie's body feels like that of a child when he first meets the Blue Man?
8. What is Eddie's role in the death of the Blue Man?
9. Why is Eddie confused about the fact that he is still on Ruby Pier?
10. What is the significance, or lack of significance, of time in Heaven?
This section contains 1,145 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)