|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says, "When you sacrifice something that is precious, he says, you don't actually lose it."?
(a) The Captain.
2. Who says, "you can no more separate one life from another than you can separate a breeze from the wind."?
(b) The Blue Man.
(c) Uncle Mickey.
(d) Eddie's father.
3. What causes the Blue Man to become blue?
(a) He wants to join the carnival, so he swallows pills.
(b) An overdose of silver nitrate.
(c) Eating too many blueberries.
(d) Drinking poisonous cleaning fluid.
4. How does Eddie feel about the safety of Ruby Pier?
(a) He is proud that it has a perfect safety record.
(b) He feels happy that it is one of the last small amusement parks still open.
(c) He is worried that it will be closed due to safety hazards.
(d) He is concerned that it is old and the rides are worn.
5. What is the last thing Eddie remembers physically feeling before he dies?
(a) The little girl's hands in his own.
Short Answer Questions
1. What birthday does Eddie celebrate in Chapter Five?
2. When was the freak show shut down?
3. What is Eddie's last memory of being alive?
4. What happens to the Freddie Fall car?
5. What does Eddie learn about Heaven in Chapter Four?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Eddie's time spent on the Pier save him during the war?
2. In Chapter Six, what do the readers learn of Eddie's expectations of himself and from his life? Are these expectations met?
3. Discuss the significance of the title of Chapter Three, "The Arrival".
4. What is the significance, or lack of significance, of time in Heaven?
5. How does the author traverse time and introduce the reader to different points in Eddie's life?
6. Discuss the foreshadowing of Uncle Mickey's character with regard to his actions towards Eddie on his fifth birthday.
7. Before Eddie speaks to the little girl at the park, about what/whom was he daydreaming?
8. What is the symbolism of the water in Chapter Two?
9. The readers learn that today is Eddie's birthday. What is his mood as the little girl approaches him in Chapter One?
10. Eddie no longer feels any pain. Why might his loss of pain be significant to being in Heaven?
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)