|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the significance of the field in the opening of Chapter Seven?
(a) It is the Captain's burial ground.
(b) The burnt tents used to rest here.
(c) Rabozzo dies here.
(d) Eddie gets rescued here.
2. What does Uncle Mickey do to Eddie during his birthday?
(a) Kisses him.
(b) Gets into a fight with him.
(c) Bumps Eddie's head several times.
(d) Slaps Eddie's shoulders in congratulations.
3. Where does the reader learn that Eddie and three other soldiers are being held?
(a) Under ground.
(b) In a steel box.
(c) Bamboo barracks.
(d) In a small hut.
4. What literary device does the author repetitively use to reveal clues about Eddie's life?
5. Where do Eddie and Marguerite have their first date?
(a) At a restaurant.
(b) At the movies.
(c) At a concert.
(d) At a dance at the Pier.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Eddie run for refuge from Uncle Mickey?
2. What world event is happening in Chapter Five?
3. What causes the Blue Man's death?
4. Who usually starts the workday at Ruby Pier?
5. According to the Blue Man, what is Heaven for?
Short Essay Questions
1. The Pier serves as a home for the Blue Man, and as a place with many memories for Eddie, some fond, some unpleasant. Discuss the significance of the encounters at the Pier in Chapter Four as a place to confront damaged emotions.
2. Eddie no longer feels any pain. Why might his loss of pain be significant to being in Heaven?
3. What does the reader learn about "Eddie Maintenance" in Chapter One?
4. Discuss the significance of the title of Chapter Three, "The Arrival".
5. How does Albom reveal the relationship between Joe and Eddie in Chapter Four?
6. Why is it significant that Eddie's body feels like that of a child when he first meets the Blue Man?
7. How does Eddie's time spent on the Pier save him during the war?
8. Discuss the significance of the title of Chapter Two, "The Journey."
9. What are the first images the reader gets of Ruby Pier?
10. When the action returns to Ruby Pier, the reader finds the park closed. How does Eddie's death impact the Pier?
This section contains 1,071 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)