|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Eddie do for a living?
(a) He is a carnival clown.
(b) Performs maintenance at an amusement park.
(c) He is in the military.
(d) He is a handyman.
2. In the scene played out in Chapter Five, what does Joe do to make Eddie angry?
(a) He lies to Eddie.
(b) He steals Eddie's girl.
(c) He punches Eddie.
(d) He shares Eddie's news of marriage plans.
3. Where do Eddie and Marguerite have their first date?
(a) At the movies.
(b) At a dance at the Pier.
(c) At a concert.
(d) At a restaurant.
4. What does Eddie first ask the first person he meets in Heaven?
(a) Why is the Pier Heaven?
(b) How did Eddie die?
(c) How long will Eddie be at the Pier?
(d) How old is Eddie now?
5. From what does the Captain save his men?
(a) A landmine.
(b) Friendly fire.
(c) Burning tents.
(d) The coal mine.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the little girl that Eddie talks with on the platform of Freddie Fall?
2. What does Eddie discover he CANNOT do when he wakes up?
3. What promise did the Captain make?
4. What does Uncle Mickey give Eddie for his birthday?
5. When is Chapter Three set?
Short Essay Questions
1. Eddie no longer feels any pain. Why might his loss of pain be significant to being in Heaven?
2. Eddie's father saves Mickey Shea. Considering Mickey's actions, what does this rescue say about Eddie's father?
3. Discuss the foreshadowing of Uncle Mickey's character with regard to his actions towards Eddie on his fifth birthday.
4. What are the first images the reader gets of Ruby Pier?
5. What does Eddie learn about his leg injury in Chapter Six, and who shares with Eddie this revelation?
6. Why is the stranger Eddie meets in Chapter Eight so significant in his life?
7. What is the significance, or lack of significance, of time in Heaven?
8. How is Chapter Twelve used as the denouement?
9. How is the person whose key shredded the cable connected to the Pier?
10. The Pier serves as a home for the Blue Man, and as a place with many memories for Eddie, some fond, some unpleasant. Discuss the significance of the encounters at the Pier in Chapter Four as a place to confront damaged emotions.
This section contains 1,086 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)