|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the second person Eddie meets in Heaven?
(a) His girlfriend.
(c) The Captain.
(d) The girl whom Eddie tries to save at the Pier.
2. Whose philosophy reads, "When your time came, it came, and that was that"?
(a) A child's.
(b) Eddie's father.
3. With whom does Eddie first share the news that he found the girl he wishes to marry?
(a) His mother.
(c) His father.
(d) His best friend.
4. What causes malfunction to the cable holding the Freddie Fall car in place?
(a) A penny has lodged in the cable, causing it to stick.
(b) A teenager decides to hang on the cable as a dare.
(c) The young man's lost car key has shredded the cable.
(d) The cable has rusted after years of use and salt-water air.
5. In death, what step is Ruby Pier for the Blue Man?
(a) The final step.
(b) The third step.
(c) The second step.
(d) The first step.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "dying is not the end, it is only the beginning."?
2. What world event is happening in Chapter Five?
3. What causes the Blue Man to become blue?
4. What does the Blue Man find at Ruby Pier?
5. What does Eddie first ask the first person he meets in Heaven?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Eddie confused about the fact that he is still on Ruby Pier?
2. Eddie no longer feels any pain. Why might his loss of pain be significant to being in Heaven?
3. How does Eddie's time spent on the Pier save him during the war?
4. Eddie tries to return to the burning tent to save a child. What does this action reveal about Eddie's character?
5. What is the significance, or lack of significance, of time in Heaven?
6. What does Eddie learn about his leg injury in Chapter Six, and who shares with Eddie this revelation?
7. How is Eddie feeling, now that he has awakened in Heaven?
8. Discuss the meaning of the Captain's quote, "When you sacrifice something that is precious, you don't actually lose it. "
9. What happens in the plot when Eddie asks the Blue Man if he saves the little girl at the Pier?
10. The Pier serves as a home for the Blue Man, and as a place with many memories for Eddie, some fond, some unpleasant. Discuss the significance of the encounters at the Pier in Chapter Four as a place to confront damaged emotions.
This section contains 1,080 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)