|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the story end?
(a) In Heaven.
(b) In the past, at the Pier.
(c) In the future, at the Pier.
(d) In the present, at the Pier.
2. Who finally leads Eddie to Heaven?
(a) Marguerite; her love guides him to Heaven.
(b) Rabozzo; he shows Eddie that he is really okay.
(c) His father; he has to seek Eddie's forgiveness.
(d) Tala; her hands were in his.
3. Who says, "You have peace when you make it with yourself."?
(a) Eddie's mother.
(d) Eddie's wife.
4. How does Eddie's father treat his sons?
5. Who takes over Eddie's job?
(a) Eddie's assistant.
(b) Uncle Mickey.
(c) The tall man from the carnival.
6. What literary device is used when discussing the accident that occurs at another park?
7. What does Eddie learn about the last day he was alive?
(a) That the park had to close without him.
(b) That the little girl was killed by the cart and will meet him in Heaven.
(c) That he saves the little girl from the falling cart.
(d) That many people cried when he died.
8. Who tries to save Mickey Shea from drowning?
(b) A carnival worker.
(c) An ocean lifeguard.
(d) Eddie's father.
9. Chapter Fourteen serves as what part of the plot?
(a) The denouement, or resolution.
(b) The climax.
(c) The falling action.
(d) The introduction.
10. Who is Tala?
(a) The girl who dies in the tent in the Philippines.
(b) His daughter.
(c) A child Eddie kept safe by doing his job at the Pier.
(d) The girl Eddie saves from Freddy Fall.
11. What is the lesson in Chapter Eleven?
(a) Forgiveness comes easily with love.
(b) Lost love is still love; it just takes a different form.
(c) Life is short and there is no time for regret.
(d) It's better to have loved and lost than never loved at all.
12. How does Eddie feel when he returns home from the war?
(a) Depressed and helpless.
(b) Angry and hurt.
(c) Useless and used.
(d) Sad and resentful.
13. Who says, "Is where you were supposed to be, Eddie Main-ten-ance"?
(c) Annie or Amy.
(d) Eddie's boss.
14. From what had Tala been wounded?
(a) A ride.
(b) Fire, set by Eddie during the war.
(c) An accident.
(d) She had been beaten.
15. Where is Chapter Eight set?
(a) On a farm, hosting a carnival.
(b) On a mountain range, in a diner.
(c) In a field, in a car.
(d) In a helicopter, leaving a battle.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years of Eddie's life does the author reveal through this storyline?
2. How old is Marguerite when she dies?
3. What do Eddie and Marguerite discuss in Chapter Eleven?
4. For whom does Eddie's father cry when he is hospitalized?
5. Who will be one of Annie or Amy's people she meets in Heaven?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)