|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter Twelve, who beckons Eddie to come nearer?
(b) A small girl.
(d) His father.
2. For what are Eddie's co-worker and estate attorney looking?
(a) The deed to Eddie's apartment.
(c) Bank statement or other valuables.
(d) The keys to Ruby Pier.
3. For whom does Eddie's father cry when he is hospitalized?
(a) His mother.
(b) Mickey Shea
(d) His wife, Joe, and Eddie.
4. Who will be one of Annie or Amy's people she meets in Heaven?
(c) Her spouse.
(d) Her mom.
5. What does Eddie tell his father at the diner?
(a) That he loves him.
(b) That he is letting go of his anger.
(c) That he was foolish for trying to save Mickey.
(d) That he is angry with him.
6. How does Eddie feel about his life without Marguerite?
(c) Unhappy and unfulfilled.
7. Who tries to save Mickey Shea from drowning?
(a) An ocean lifeguard.
(b) Eddie's father.
(c) A carnival worker.
8. What does Eddie say to Marguerite about the war?
(a) "I killed ten men."
(b) "It was unbearable."
(c) "Too much bloodshed caused too much pain."
(d) "I lost myself."
9. How does Eddie's father help Eddie?
(a) He forgives Eddie.
(b) He gives Eddie the apartment.
(c) He makes Eddie get a job.
(d) He gives Eddie money.
10. What is the result of Marguerite's hospitalization?
(a) More bills for Eddie.
(b) Estranged marriage between Eddie and Marguerite.
(c) Permanent injury.
(d) They lost the chance to adopt the baby.
11. In Chapter Eleven, where is the story set?
(a) The Pier and Eddie's apartment.
(b) The Pier and Eddie's car.
(c) The ocean.
(d) The boardwalk.
12. How old was Eddie's father when he died?
13. What does Eddie see?
(a) Devastation of war.
(c) Brown-skinned children playing in a river.
(d) Marguerite, beckoning him.
14. What does Eddie learn about the last day he was alive?
(a) That the little girl was killed by the cart and will meet him in Heaven.
(b) That many people cried when he died.
(c) That he saves the little girl from the falling cart.
(d) That the park had to close without him.
15. Where does the story end?
(a) In the past, at the Pier.
(b) In the present, at the Pier.
(c) In the future, at the Pier.
(d) In Heaven.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Eddie's father treat his sons?
2. Who is Eddie's father's hospital roommate?
3. What does Eddie feel that ultimately brings him peace?
4. Where is Chapter Eight set?
5. What does Eddie realize about his life as a maintenance worker, after speaking with Tala?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)