|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the story end?
(a) In Heaven.
(b) In the past, at the Pier.
(c) In the future, at the Pier.
(d) In the present, at the Pier.
2. Why does Marguerite spend six months in the hospital?
(a) She is a nurse.
(b) She is pregnant and on bed rest.
(c) She is in a car accident.
(d) She has pneumonia.
3. Why does Eddie's father forgive Mickey Shea?
(a) Eddie's father owes Mickey Shea money.
(b) Eddie's father does not love his wife.
(c) Mickey Shea saved Eddie's father once.
(d) Mickey has a drinking problem and does not act out on purpose.
4. What does Eddie say to Marguerite about the war?
(a) "I killed ten men."
(b) "I lost myself."
(c) "It was unbearable."
(d) "Too much bloodshed caused too much pain."
5. With whom does Eddie's father die?
(b) No one.
(c) His wife.
6. How does Eddie help to make Tala whole again?
(a) He washes her with the stone.
(b) He washes her with water from his canteen.
(c) He kisses her forehead.
(d) He listens to her story.
7. How does Eddie feel about his life without Marguerite?
(c) Unhappy and unfulfilled.
8. Who is the fourth person Eddie meets in Heaven?
(b) Ruby's husband.
(c) Amy or Annie.
(d) Eddie's father.
9. What was Eddie's promotion?
(b) Ticket taker.
(d) Head of maintenance.
10. Of what does Marguerite assure Eddie in Chapter Eleven?
(a) That she always forgave him.
(b) His love has remained with her, and hers, with him.
(c) That she felt no pain when she died.
(d) That Heaven is a good place to be.
11. From what had Tala been wounded?
(a) An accident.
(b) She had been beaten.
(c) Fire, set by Eddie during the war.
(d) A ride.
12. How does Eddie's father help Eddie?
(a) He makes Eddie get a job.
(b) He forgives Eddie.
(c) He gives Eddie money.
(d) He gives Eddie the apartment.
13. Eddie and Marguerite save money for what big event?
(a) A new apartment.
(b) Adoption of a child.
(c) New car.
(d) Wedding anniversary party.
14. What does Eddie feel that ultimately brings him peace?
(a) Being washed and cleansed from his hurts.
(b) Being under water, as if being reborn.
(c) He rides the Freddie Fall ride without fear of its disrepair.
(d) Flying through the clouds, freely.
15. On what does Eddie reflect during his last birthday?
(a) The war.
(b) His job.
(c) His life.
(d) The times he spent with Marguerite.
Short Answer Questions
1. What lesson does Tala teach Eddie?
2. How does Eddie spend his first birthday after Marguerite's death?
3. How does the book end?
4. When is the story set in Chapter Eleven, after the author reveals the fourth person Eddie meets in Heaven?
5. How does Eddie feel when he returns home from the war?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)