|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes malfunction to the cable holding the Freddie Fall car in place?
(a) A penny has lodged in the cable, causing it to stick.
(b) A teenager decides to hang on the cable as a dare.
(c) The cable has rusted after years of use and salt-water air.
(d) The young man's lost car key has shredded the cable.
2. Who says, "you can no more separate one life from another than you can separate a breeze from the wind."?
(a) Uncle Mickey.
(b) Eddie's father.
(d) The Blue Man.
3. What does Uncle Mickey give Eddie for his birthday?
(a) A bottle of wine.
(b) A silver dollar.
(c) A signed baseball.
(d) A play pistol and cowboy hat.
4. Where do Eddie and Marguerite have their first date?
(a) At a concert.
(b) At a dance at the Pier.
(c) At the movies.
(d) At a restaurant.
5. What does Eddie learn about his voice in Heaven?
(a) It will come; silence helps people listen.
(b) It will change once Eddie learns his lessons.
(c) It is only permitted during urgent situations.
(d) It has disappeared forever.
6. What do Eddie and the other two soldiers decide to do before escaping?
(a) Burn the barracks and blow up the mines.
(b) Steal from the enemy camps.
(c) Have a funeral for Rabozzo.
(d) Take enemy soldiers captive.
7. What is the author doing in Chapter Three?
(a) Weaving together past with present.
(b) Weaving together present with future.
(c) Showing readers Eddie's future.
(d) Showing readers Eddie's weaknesses.
8. When was the freak show shut down?
(a) Fifty years ago.
(b) Five years ago.
(c) Eighty years ago.
(d) Twenty-five years ago.
9. What causes the Blue Man to become blue?
(a) An overdose of silver nitrate.
(b) He wants to join the carnival, so he swallows pills.
(c) Drinking poisonous cleaning fluid.
(d) Eating too many blueberries.
10. What does Eddie feel after he has died?
(d) Calm and no pain.
11. What does the author use as symbolism in Chapter Two?
(c) The Pier.
(d) The birthday song.
12. In the scene played out in Chapter Five, what does Joe do to make Eddie angry?
(a) He shares Eddie's news of marriage plans.
(b) He punches Eddie.
(c) He lies to Eddie.
(d) He steals Eddie's girl.
13. Who prevents a fatal accident at the Freddie Fall?
(b) The young man.
(d) A ride attendant.
14. Who is the second person Eddie meets in Heaven?
(a) His girlfriend.
(b) The Captain.
(c) The girl whom Eddie tries to save at the Pier.
15. What does Eddie first ask the first person he meets in Heaven?
(a) How old is Eddie now?
(b) Why is the Pier Heaven?
(c) How long will Eddie be at the Pier?
(d) How did Eddie die?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Eddie and the other three soldiers have to do while imprisoned?
2. What does Marguerite tell Eddie before he leaves for the war?
3. Where does Eddie meet the love of his life?
4. In Chapter Three, where does Eddie stop at the Pier?
5. Why is Ruby Pier closed in Chapter Seven?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)