|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Eddie at the end of Chapter One?
(a) He becomes crippled from an accident at the Pier.
(b) He dies in an accident at the Pier.
(c) He quits his job at the Pier.
(d) He celebrates his birthday.
2. What color is the sea that Eddie sees?
(a) Crystal clear.
(c) Yellow, and changing.
3. What does Eddie wonder about in Chapter Seven?
(a) Whether he will ever return to Ruby Pier.
(b) Whether Rabozzo went to Heaven.
(c) Whether he saves the girl at Ruby Pier.
(d) Whether the Captain felt any pain before he died.
4. What does the young man at the Pier lose, causing havoc later?
(a) A medal from the war.
(b) A vintage coin.
(c) His wallet.
(d) His car key.
5. Where does Eddie wind up on his journey through death in Chapter Two?
(a) In Heaven.
(b) At the Pier.
(c) In a field.
(d) Under water.
6. What color does Eddie see when he first dies?
(a) Sky blue.
(c) Bright white.
(d) Pumpkin color.
7. What does Eddie do, just because he can, in Chapter Three?
(a) Rides the rides.
(b) Breathes in the moment.
(c) Runs around the park.
(d) Yells in elation.
8. What does Eddie learn from the Blue Man?
(a) That one should appreciate what one has.
(b) That life is short.
(c) That everyone is connected.
(d) That Eddie has to pay for the role in his death.
9. What does Marguerite tell Eddie before he leaves for the war?
(a) That she will marry another man.
(b) That she loves him.
(c) That she will wait for him.
(d) That she cannot wait for him.
10. Where does the reader first meet Eddie?
(a) At a dance with Marguerite.
(b) In the hospital where he is first born.
(c) Ruby Pier.
(d) In his apartment.
11. What happens to the field where Chapter Seven opens?
(a) It burns up.
(b) It turns to a forest.
(c) It disappears.
(d) It becomes lush, green, and unscarred.
12. In the scene played out in Chapter Five, what does Joe do to make Eddie angry?
(a) He steals Eddie's girl.
(b) He lies to Eddie.
(c) He shares Eddie's news of marriage plans.
(d) He punches Eddie.
13. What does Eddie see when he dies?
(d) Different colors and changing landscape.
14. What lesson does Eddie learn in Chapter Seven?
(a) That forgiveness is easy.
(b) That love is painful.
(c) That war causes permanent damage.
(d) That sacrifice is essential.
15. How does Eddie celebrate his birthday in Chapter Two?
(a) With a pony ride.
(b) At a picnic at the Pier.
(c) With a nice dinner.
(d) With a party at home.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the Freddie Fall car?
2. What literary device does the author repetitively use to reveal clues about Eddie's life?
3. What is the significance of the day in Chapter One for Eddie?
4. What does Eddie learn about his voice in Heaven?
5. What promise did the Captain make?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)