|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what does the Captain save his men?
(a) Friendly fire.
(b) A landmine.
(c) The coal mine.
(d) Burning tents.
2. What color does Eddie see when he first dies?
(a) Bright white.
(b) Pumpkin color.
(d) Sky blue.
3. Who is Uncle Mickey?
(a) Eddie's father's brother.
(b) He works with Eddie's dad at the Pier.
(c) An old friend of Marguerite's.
(d) Marguerite's brother.
4. What do Eddie and the other two soldiers decide to do before escaping?
(a) Take enemy soldiers captive.
(b) Steal from the enemy camps.
(c) Burn the barracks and blow up the mines.
(d) Have a funeral for Rabozzo.
5. What dance does Eddie recall before the time he was crippled?
(a) "Starry Eyed-Hop."
(b) "I Finally Found You."
(c) "You Are the Love of My Life."
(d) "You Made Me Love You."
6. As discovered in Chapter Six, for what is Eddie saving his money?
(a) To attend school to become a teacher.
(b) To attend school to become a construction worker.
(c) To attend school for engineering.
(d) To attend school to become a mathematician.
7. Why is Ruby Pier closed in Chapter Seven?
(a) The little girl's mom has brought a lawsuit against the park.
(b) Eddie's peers feel his loss.
(c) No one comes to visit after the accident.
(d) The rides have been condemned.
8. How does Eddie's leg become crippled?
(a) From a car accident.
(b) From an accident at the Pier.
(c) From the war.
(d) Getting it caught in a ride.
9. What does the author use as symbolism in Chapter Two?
(a) The Pier.
(b) The birthday song.
10. How old is Eddie in Chapter Two?
(c) Five years old.
11. What does Eddie discover he CANNOT do when he wakes up?
12. What does Uncle Mickey give Eddie for his birthday?
(a) A bottle of wine.
(b) A play pistol and cowboy hat.
(c) A silver dollar.
(d) A signed baseball.
13. In the scene played out in Chapter Five, what does Joe do to make Eddie angry?
(a) He punches Eddie.
(b) He lies to Eddie.
(c) He steals Eddie's girl.
(d) He shares Eddie's news of marriage plans.
14. Who says, "Hello, Edward. I have been waiting for you."?
(a) The man whose skin is blue.
(b) Eddie's father.
(d) One of the conjoined twins.
15. What talent does Eddie have that eventually helps him escape from prison during the war?
(a) He juggles.
(b) He sings.
(c) He does magic tricks.
(d) He's a comedian.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Eddie's last memory of being alive?
2. What literary device does the author repetitively use to reveal clues about Eddie's life?
3. What birthday does Eddie celebrate in Chapter Five?
4. To whom does Eddie run for refuge from Uncle Mickey?
5. What is different about Ruby Pier when Eddie wakes up?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)