|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who usually starts the workday at Ruby Pier?
(b) The ride operators.
(c) The owner.
(d) All of the maintenance workers.
2. What literary device does the author repetitively use to reveal clues about Eddie's life?
3. Who says, "the human spirit knows, deep down, that all lives intersect....death doesn't take someone, it misses someone else, and in the small distance between being taken and being missed, lives are changed."?
(a) The Blue Man.
(b) The priest.
(d) The funeral director.
4. Who is Uncle Mickey?
(a) An old friend of Marguerite's.
(b) He works with Eddie's dad at the Pier.
(c) Eddie's father's brother.
(d) Marguerite's brother.
5. How long has Eddie been at the Pier after he died?
(a) One minute.
(b) Time doesn't matter, infinity.
(c) One hour.
(d) One thousand years.
6. What does Eddie decide to do for a profession when he is young?
(a) He becomes an engineer.
(b) He enlists in the army.
(c) He becomes a maintenance worker.
(d) He becomes a teacher.
7. What happens to Eddie at the end of Chapter One?
(a) He dies in an accident at the Pier.
(b) He becomes crippled from an accident at the Pier.
(c) He quits his job at the Pier.
(d) He celebrates his birthday.
8. What causes the Blue Man's death?
(a) He fell from a ride.
(b) Bad medicine.
(c) An accident at the freak show.
(d) Eddie's baseball.
9. What dance does Eddie recall before the time he was crippled?
(a) "Starry Eyed-Hop."
(b) "I Finally Found You."
(c) "You Are the Love of My Life."
(d) "You Made Me Love You."
10. What does the young man at the Pier lose, causing havoc later?
(a) A medal from the war.
(b) His car key.
(c) A vintage coin.
(d) His wallet.
11. What does Uncle Mickey do to Eddie during his birthday?
(a) Gets into a fight with him.
(b) Kisses him.
(c) Bumps Eddie's head several times.
(d) Slaps Eddie's shoulders in congratulations.
12. Whose philosophy reads, "When your time came, it came, and that was that"?
(a) A child's.
(c) Eddie's father.
13. What does Eddie think the little girl's name is?
(b) Amy or Annie.
(d) Alice or Alexis.
14. What lesson does Eddie learn in Chapter Seven?
(a) That forgiveness is easy.
(b) That love is painful.
(c) That war causes permanent damage.
(d) That sacrifice is essential.
15. How does the author portray Uncle Mickey in Chapter Two?
(a) As kind.
(b) As oblivious.
(c) As insensitive to a child.
(d) As malicious.
Short Answer Questions
1. What talent does Eddie have that eventually helps him escape from prison during the war?
2. With whom does Eddie first share the news that he found the girl he wishes to marry?
3. What happens to Rabozzo when he becomes ill?
4. How does Eddie celebrate his birthday in Chapter Two?
5. What promise did the Captain make?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)