|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the reader learn that Eddie and three other soldiers are being held?
(a) In a steel box.
(b) In a small hut.
(c) Bamboo barracks.
(d) Under ground.
2. When was the freak show shut down?
(a) Eighty years ago.
(b) Twenty-five years ago.
(c) Fifty years ago.
(d) Five years ago.
3. Who does the author introduce in a flashback at the end of Chapter One?
(a) Eddie's brother.
(b) Eddie's girlfriend.
(c) Eddie's friend.
(d) Eddie's father.
4. Who usually starts the workday at Ruby Pier?
(a) The ride operators.
(c) All of the maintenance workers.
(d) The owner.
5. To whom does Eddie run for refuge from Uncle Mickey?
(b) His father.
(c) His brother.
(d) His mother.
6. From what does the Captain save his men?
(a) The coal mine.
(b) Burning tents.
(c) A landmine.
(d) Friendly fire.
7. When is Chapter Three set?
(a) Before Eddie was born.
(b) In the future.
(c) In Eddie's past.
(d) During the present.
8. Why can't Eddie play with the erector set he received for his eighth birthday?
(a) He has to attend a funeral.
(b) His father takes it away.
(c) He misbehaved.
(d) It breaks before he can use it.
9. What do Eddie and the other three soldiers have to do while imprisoned?
(a) Work in a coal mine.
(b) Build new enemy huts.
(c) Beat other inmates.
(d) Share military secrets.
10. Where do Eddie and Marguerite have their first date?
(a) At a restaurant.
(b) At the movies.
(c) At a concert.
(d) At a dance at the Pier.
11. What does Marguerite tell Eddie before he leaves for the war?
(a) That she will wait for him.
(b) That she will marry another man.
(c) That she cannot wait for him.
(d) That she loves him.
12. Who is the second person Eddie meets in Heaven?
(a) The Captain.
(b) His girlfriend.
(c) The girl whom Eddie tries to save at the Pier.
13. What color is the sea that Eddie sees?
(c) Crystal clear.
(d) Yellow, and changing.
14. What causes the Blue Man's death?
(a) Eddie's baseball.
(b) He fell from a ride.
(c) An accident at the freak show.
(d) Bad medicine.
15. What purpose does Amy or Annie serve in the story thus far?
(a) To build suspense.
(b) To foreshadow events.
(c) To give purpose to the setting.
(d) To shock the reader.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the significance of the field in the opening of Chapter Seven?
2. What happens to Eddie at the end of Chapter One?
3. Where does the reader first meet Eddie?
4. How does Eddie celebrate his birthday in Chapter Two?
5. Why is Ruby Pier closed in Chapter Seven?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)