|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the significance of the day in Chapter One for Eddie?
(a) It is the opening day of the season at Ruby Pier.
(b) It is his birthday.
(c) It is Christmas day.
(d) It is his co-worker's wife's birthday.
2. What is Eddie's last memory of being alive?
(b) The war.
(c) The cart falling on the little girl.
(d) Working at the Pier.
3. As discovered in Chapter Six, for what is Eddie saving his money?
(a) To attend school to become a teacher.
(b) To attend school to become a construction worker.
(c) To attend school for engineering.
(d) To attend school to become a mathematician.
4. What does Eddie see when he dies?
(d) Different colors and changing landscape.
5. What does Eddie remember thinking, right after he dies?
(a) Did he live a good life?
(b) Did he save the little girl?
(c) Will he see his father?
(d) Will he have a chance to redo anything in life?
6. What causes the Blue Man to become blue?
(a) Drinking poisonous cleaning fluid.
(b) He wants to join the carnival, so he swallows pills.
(c) Eating too many blueberries.
(d) An overdose of silver nitrate.
7. What is the last thing Eddie remembers physically feeling before he dies?
(d) The little girl's hands in his own.
8. What does Eddie first ask the first person he meets in Heaven?
(a) How did Eddie die?
(b) How long will Eddie be at the Pier?
(c) Why is the Pier Heaven?
(d) How old is Eddie now?
9. Why can't Eddie play with the erector set he received for his eighth birthday?
(a) His father takes it away.
(b) He misbehaved.
(c) He has to attend a funeral.
(d) It breaks before he can use it.
10. What literary device does the author repetitively use to reveal clues about Eddie's life?
11. What causes the Blue Man's death?
(a) He fell from a ride.
(b) Bad medicine.
(c) An accident at the freak show.
(d) Eddie's baseball.
12. Who says, "dying is not the end, it is only the beginning."?
(a) The enemy soldier.
(b) The Captain.
13. How does Eddie's leg become crippled?
(a) From a car accident.
(b) Getting it caught in a ride.
(c) From an accident at the Pier.
(d) From the war.
14. What does Eddie do for a living?
(a) He is a carnival clown.
(b) He is in the military.
(c) He is a handyman.
(d) Performs maintenance at an amusement park.
15. When was the freak show shut down?
(a) Five years ago.
(b) Fifty years ago.
(c) Eighty years ago.
(d) Twenty-five years ago.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the field where Chapter Seven opens?
2. What does Eddie wonder about in Chapter Seven?
3. What causes malfunction to the cable holding the Freddie Fall car in place?
4. Who usually starts the workday at Ruby Pier?
5. Who says, "the human spirit knows, deep down, that all lives intersect....death doesn't take someone, it misses someone else, and in the small distance between being taken and being missed, lives are changed."?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)