* In Chapter 1, the reader meets the protagonist, Eddie, an injured war veteran and maintenance worker at Ruby Pier who is unhappy with his life's accomplishments.
* He hoped to achieve more grandiose things and feels lonely and unfulfilled.
* Ruby Pier has served an important role in Eddie's life; it is where he spent his childhood, he met his wife, Marguerite, there and spent his entire adult life working there.
* Today is Eddie's eighty-third birthday and through the author's use of flashback, the reader learns about other birthdays and milestones in Eddie's life, beginning with his birth in 1920.
* Eddie is unaware of his last moments on earth, when he tries to save a little girl from a falling cart at the Pier; rather, his last memory is of feeling her tiny hands in his.
* This chapter is the beginning of Eddie's journey through and to Heaven, signified by...
This section contains 1,914 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)