|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had been Tadek's profession before the war?
2. Through the underground, Olga discovered that her husband was working where?
3. Why was Olga uneasy when the French internee came to the infirmary on August 26, 1944?
4. What kind of music did Dr. Mengele prefer?
5. According to the author, how many corpses were burned each day at Bireknau between the crematory ovens and the death pits?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did L. give Olga a reason to live?
2. How did Olga and her friends escape from the ranks of prisoners during the march?
3. How did Olga's colleague, Dr. G, cope with the stress of living in camp?
4. Why did Olga still have faith in mankind, despite her tragic experience?
5. What steps did the Nazis take in order to reassure the newly arrived deportees that their lives in the camp would be bearable?
6. Describe Olga's second, and last, meeting with her husband.
7. What examples did Olga offer to illustrate the emotional strength of some prisoners?
8. How did prostitution emerge in the camp?
9. How did the Germans use work assignments to break the spirits of the prisoners?
10. How did the conditions in camp reveal a person's true nature?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the evolution of self-preservation among the prisoners, Olga included, and the extremes to which some people took this notion. At what point did caring only for oneself become necessary, and how did this influence the way in which some prisoners interacted with each other?
Essay Topic 2
According to the author, why is the entire world responsible for the atrocities that the Nazis committed? How does the blame of other countries compare to Germany's blame? What must the world do in order to make amends for its mistakes of World War II?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the role of choice versus luck in the author's ability to survive her ordeal. How much of her survival was a result of the choices that she made, and how much of her survival was the result of luck?
This section contains 1,482 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)