|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What service did Irma Griese demand from the surgeon in the infirmary?
2. Why were pregnancies sometimes hard to catch in the initial selection at the station?
3. Why did L. insist that Olga give out all of the news that he delivered to her?
4. What happened when a woman gave birth in the concentration camp?
5. What did Dr. Klein bring for Olga while she and the other inmates were kneeling in the mud?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways were the inmates in the Czech camp given preferential treatment?
2. How were the internees at Auschwitz affected by the news that Paris had been liberated?
3. Why did Olga and her colleagues begin to murder newborn babies?
4. How did Olga and her companions find renewed energy by stealing bread from the warehouse?
5. Why did Olga still have faith in mankind, despite her tragic experience?
6. How did the conditions in camp reveal a person's true nature?
7. How did the Germans use work assignments to break the spirits of the prisoners?
8. Why did some prisoners throw themselves into the electrified wire?
9. What experiences did the author have with the commander-in-chief of the camp, Joseph Kramer?
10. How did the camp change as the end of the war neared?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the social structure and hierarchy (both formal and informal) among the prisoners in the concentration camp. How was this structure different from their previous lives, and how did this subversion of their lives create ironic situations?
Essay Topic 2
Why did the author find the treatment of the children in the Nazi camps particularly disturbing? What made the treatment and the murder of the children more horrific in her mind?
Essay Topic 3
Why did some prisoners survive while others did not? What qualities seemed to enable some prisoners to survive? To what extremes did some inmates resort, and how did these actions affect them?
This section contains 1,295 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)