|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people were usually taken from each barrack during a selection?
2. From where did the blue-eyed man come?
3. What was the irony in Dr. Lengyel's success in saving Olly's life?
4. Other than for eating, of what use were the twenty bowls issued to the prisoners in the barracks?
5. Why did the prisoners eat the soup even though it was repulsive to them?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the hierarchy of the prisoners in the camp.
2. How did Olga become a "rich woman" in the camp?
3. Why did Olga and her colleagues in the infirmary proceed with their work even though they did not have the proper resources?
4. Why did the Germans allow the prisoners to write postcards to their loved ones outside of the camps?
5. At what point did the deportees realize the true horror of their situation?
6. Why did the German guards intentionally assign prisoners to work for which they were unsuited?
7. Why did Olga run from the washroom when Tadek entered?
8. What were the conditions like in Olga's barracks?
9. How did Olga come to work in the infirmary?
10. How did Olga and her husband react to meeting each other within the camp?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How was the author able to maintain her positive perspective on human nature despite the horrific ordeals she had experienced and witnessed?
Essay Topic 2
According to the author, which of the S.S. members mentioned in the book were most responsible for the misery of the people in the camp? Rank the members from least responsible to most responsible and provide evidence to support your analysis.
Essay Topic 3
Both the Nazis and the author herself committed murders during this experience. Compare and contrast their crimes. How are these crimes different from one another? What makes the author's crimes more excusable, or at least understandable, than those of the Nazis?
This section contains 1,210 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)