|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the only restriction upon the Lageraelteste?
2. What reply did most prisoners in the concentration camp give to explain their imprisonment?
3. How many people were loaded into Olga's train car?
4. What name was given to the internee who was chosen as barrack chief?
5. How many women worked in the kitchen staff?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Olga ask forgiveness from her mother and father while they waited in the train car?
2. Who was the "Lageraelteste" and why was she chosen for this position?
3. Why did the German guards intentionally assign prisoners to work for which they were unsuited?
4. How were the people on the train cars affected by the trip and the inhumane conditions?
5. Describe the hierarchy of the prisoners in the camp.
6. How did Olga's life in the infirmary compare to the life she was previously leading in the camp?
7. What made the roll calls at the camp so difficult to endure?
8. What dilemma did Olga face whenever her companions argued about the existence of the crematories?
9. What did the barrack chief, Irka, explain after Olga suggested that she had hope for survival?
10. Describe the conditions of the work in the infirmary.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did having a purpose change the author's attitude toward her captivity? How did it contribute to her survival?
Essay Topic 2
According to the author, why is the entire world responsible for the atrocities that the Nazis committed? How does the blame of other countries compare to Germany's blame? What must the world do in order to make amends for its mistakes of World War II?
Essay Topic 3
How was the author able to maintain her positive perspective on human nature despite the horrific ordeals she had experienced and witnessed?
This section contains 1,299 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)