|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the children in the camp speak about the goings-on of the camp?
2. What was the "most tragic danger" for the sick in the camp?
3. What was the duty of the blocova's secretary?
4. How many prisoners were assigned to carry the 150-pound kettle for each meal?
5. What did Olga assume when she saw the pitiful women in the cages?
Short Essay Questions
1. What went on in the washroom during the rest hour?
2. Why did Olga run from the washroom when Tadek entered?
3. Why did Tadek give Olga a potato and a shawl?
4. Why did Olga blame herself for the deaths of her parents and children?
5. In what ways was Birkenau different from Auschwitz?
6. What details about their arrival offered the passengers hope that their conditions would be better at the camp?
7. Why did Olga relate the sensation of thirst to her memories of the concentration camp?
8. How did Olga come to work in the infirmary?
9. How did Olga become a "rich woman" in the camp?
10. What dilemma did Olga face whenever her companions argued about the existence of the crematories?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In spite of the horrible treatment that the prisoners received at the hands of the Nazis and the misdeeds toward one another, Olga describes some true kindnesses among the prisoners. Describe the kind acts that she experienced and observed, and analyze the value of these acts for those involved.
Essay Topic 2
How did the idea of medical care (in particular, the oath to "do no harm") become subverted in the Nazi concentration camps?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the problems presented to the author and others in the camp because of pregnancy and childbirth. How did they deal with the dilemma? Why did they take the risks?
This section contains 1,198 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)