|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the author, which of the experimental stations was the "most jealously guarded" of them all?
(a) The vivisection station.
(b) The radiological station.
(c) The artificial insemination station.
(d) The psychiatric station.
2. How many days passed between Olga's arrival in the village and the arrival of the Russian troops?
(a) The Russians arrived five days later.
(b) The Russians arrived that same night.
(c) The Russians arrived three days later.
(d) The Russians arrived the next morning.
3. After June of 1943, how were most Aryans executed?
(a) Firing squad only.
(b) Shooting, hanging, or poison injections.
(c) Most were worked to death.
(d) The gas chamber or firing squad.
4. What was distributed to internees as they entered the gas chamber that helped to convince them that they were actually headed for the showers?
(a) Claim tickets for their clothing.
(b) Shower caps.
(c) Scrub brushes.
(d) Towels and soap.
5. How many women from the infirmary had the task of carrying corpses from the hospital to the morgue?
Short Answer Questions
1. What were Dr. Mengele's two favorite studies?
2. Where did Olga and the other women get bread for their journey?
3. What did the Germans plan to do with the patients who were left behind when the camp evacuated?
4. What happened when a woman gave birth in the concentration camp?
5. Why was Olga uneasy when the French internee came to the infirmary on August 26, 1944?
Short Essay Questions
1. What purpose did the building known as "Canada" serve, both for the Germans and for the inmates?
2. Why did Olga still have faith in mankind, despite her tragic experience?
3. How did the conditions in camp reveal a person's true nature?
4. How did the Germans react to an unusually low report of pregnancies among the women inmates?
5. Why does Olga say, "I could never decide whether it was harder to dig ditches next to the crematory or work near the railroad station..."?
6. How were the S.S. at Auschwitz affected by the news that Paris had been liberated?
7. What steps did the Nazis take in order to reassure the newly arrived deportees that their lives in the camp would be bearable?
8. How did L. give Olga a reason to live?
9. How did prostitution emerge in the camp?
10. In what ways were the inmates in the Czech camp given preferential treatment?
This section contains 1,514 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)