|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the Nazis do with all of the documents they removed from the "political bureau"?
(a) They burned them.
(b) They loaded them into briefcases and locked the latches.
(c) They threw them into boxes and then into the back of a truck.
(d) They dumped them into the latrine.
2. According to camp gossip, what was the purpose of the powder that was mixed into the inmates' food?
(a) To cause anemia.
(b) To slowly destroy the internal organs.
(c) To cause degeneration of the brain.
(d) To reduce or destroy the sexual appetite.
3. Why was Olga uneasy when the French internee came to the infirmary on August 26, 1944?
(a) Men were not supposed to come into the women's infirmary.
(b) She did not trust him.
(c) His wounds were too severe for her to help him.
(d) He seemed too happy, and she was afraid that he had gone mad.
4. Why did the German guard beat the woman he accused of not being a "correct" prisoner?
(a) She failed to avert her eyes when he walked by.
(b) She couldn't carry the load that he ordered her to carry.
(c) She seemed to carry her head too high.
(d) She had been in camp six months, but should have died three months before.
5. What did the young Czech boy trade in order to have one night with his lover from the other side of the fence?
(a) A diamond that he stole from "Canada".
(b) A bowl and a toothbrush.
(c) Eight days of bread and eight days of soup.
(d) A bottle of aspirin.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, how many corpses were burned each day at Bireknau between the crematory ovens and the death pits?
2. After the liberation of Auschwitz, what did the Moscow professor discover in his autopsies of female internees?
3. One day in June of 1944, where did Irma Griese send the 315 women who were "selected"?
4. What service did Irma Griese demand from the surgeon in the infirmary?
5. What did Irma Griese do to the handsome Georgian man?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the conditions in camp reveal a person's true nature?
2. How were the S.S. at Auschwitz affected by the news that Paris had been liberated?
3. What evidence suggested to Olga that Dr. Klein had some compassion?
4. How did the camp change as the end of the war neared?
5. What experiences did the author have with the commander-in-chief of the camp, Joseph Kramer?
6. Describe Olga's second, and last, meeting with her husband.
7. What metaphor did Olga use to describe the "scientific experiments" that the Nazis performed on prisoners?
8. How did the Russian, Dr. Mitrovna, save Olga's life?
9. What examples did Olga offer to illustrate the emotional strength of some prisoners?
10. Why did Olga and her colleagues begin to murder newborn babies?
This section contains 1,449 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)