|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Olga usually do during the camp's "dance soirees"?
(a) She was asleep in her bunk.
(b) She watched from the doorway of her barrack.
(c) She was working in the infirmary.
(d) She played the music on the phonograph.
2. What service did Irma Griese demand from the surgeon in the infirmary?
(a) An abortion.
(b) The removal of a bunion.
(c) An appendectomy.
(d) The removal of a mole.
3. What did L. say that he and Olga must both do after the war?
(a) See to it that the Nazis were punished for their crimes.
(b) Write down everything they had seen so that the world would know the truth.
(c) Search for their family members.
(d) Reunite and get to know each other outside of war.
4. How many of the crematory buildings were destroyed in the explosion that the resistance set off?
(a) All four buildings.
(b) Two out of the four.
(c) Only one of the four.
(d) Three out of the four.
5. How did Olga get across the icy river to reach the safe village?
(a) A farmer offered to carry her across on his boat.
(b) She crossed a treacherous bridge.
(c) She swam.
(d) She found an abandoned raft and rowed across.
Short Answer Questions
1. What standard did the Germans use to determine which children in the men's camp would be exterminated?
2. One day in June of 1944, where did Irma Griese send the 315 women who were "selected"?
3. How long did the roll calls last on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays?
4. How much did Olga pay in order to buy a piece of cloth and have a nurse's blouse made?
5. What kind of music did Dr. Mengele prefer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What steps did the Nazis take in order to reassure the newly arrived deportees that their lives in the camp would be bearable?
2. How were the S.S. at Auschwitz affected by the news that Paris had been liberated?
3. What metaphor did Olga use to describe the "scientific experiments" that the Nazis performed on prisoners?
4. Describe Olga's second, and last, meeting with her husband.
5. What experiences did the author have with the commander-in-chief of the camp, Joseph Kramer?
6. How did prostitution emerge in the camp?
7. How did Dr. Mengele differ from Dr. Klein?
8. Why did some prisoners throw themselves into the electrified wire?
9. What purpose did the building known as "Canada" serve, both for the Germans and for the inmates?
10. How did the Germans react to an unusually low report of pregnancies among the women inmates?
This section contains 1,361 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)