|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What illness afflicted the children who were lying near the door of the train car?
(a) Small pox.
(d) Scarlet fever.
2. How many prisoners were assigned to carry the 150-pound kettle for each meal?
3. What was the "most tragic danger" for the sick in the camp?
4. Other than for eating, of what use were the twenty bowls issued to the prisoners in the barracks?
(a) Digging latrines.
(b) Weapons during fights.
(c) Collecting rain water.
(d) Chamber pots.
5. Of what was Dr. Lengyel accused when he was questioned by the S.S.?
(a) Hiding Jewish families in his hospital.
(b) Distributing anti-Nazi propaganda.
(c) Providing free medical services to Gypsies.
(d) Boycotting the use of German pharmeceuticals in his clinic.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which prisoners were most often chosen to clean the latrines?
2. Why did Tadek, the blue-eyed man, stop bringing gifts for Olga?
3. What was the name of the building that became Olga's home while she was in Auschwitz?
4. From where did the blue-eyed man come?
5. How long had the Polish woman, Irka, been in the camp?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the conditions in the "koias" affect the prisoners?
2. How did Olga come to work in the infirmary?
3. How did Olga and her husband react to meeting each other within the camp?
4. How did the German soldiers react to the passengers on the train cars?
5. In what ways was Birkenau different from Auschwitz?
6. Why did the German guards intentionally assign prisoners to work for which they were unsuited?
7. How did Olga's life in the infirmary compare to the life she was previously leading in the camp?
8. Describe the hierarchy of the prisoners in the camp.
9. Why did Tadek give Olga a potato and a shawl?
10. What did the barrack chief, Irka, explain after Olga suggested that she had hope for survival?
This section contains 1,245 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)