|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the handsome, blue-eyed man doing in Olga's barrack?
(a) He was a doctor on his rounds.
(b) He had sneaked in to see one of the women.
(c) He was hiding from the camp police.
(d) He was repairing the bunks.
2. What was the original purpose of the building that became Olga's new home?
(a) A munitions plant.
(b) A bakery.
(c) A hospital.
(d) A stable.
3. Why did Olga go into the washrooms at lunch?
(a) She wanted to find a place to be alone.
(b) She felt dirty and wanted to try to clean herself.
(c) She followed along with a friend.
(d) She had heard that the men sometimes shared their food with women in there.
4. What did Olga assume when she saw the pitiful women in the cages?
(a) They were isolated because they were insane.
(b) They must be under quarantine.
(c) This was a dream.
(d) This was her own future.
5. Which of Olga's friends was also chosen for selection at the same time?
Short Answer Questions
1. After they disembarked from the train, who was immediately sent to the left?
2. What was the occupation of the "Lageraelteste" in her life outside of the camp?
3. What did Olga pick up from the ground that helped her escape from the group of prisoners headed for the gas chamber?
4. What did the insignia on each train car indicate?
5. Which prisoners were most often chosen to clean the latrines?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Tadek give Olga a potato and a shawl?
2. Why did Olga blame herself for the deaths of her parents and children?
3. Why did Olga ask forgiveness from her mother and father while they waited in the train car?
4. How did Dr. and Mrs. Lengyel respond to the stories they heard about the cruelty of the Germans and their treatment of prisoners?
5. Why did the German guards intentionally assign prisoners to work for which they were unsuited?
6. How were the people on the train cars affected by the trip and the inhumane conditions?
7. Who was the "Lageraelteste" and why was she chosen for this position?
8. Why did Olga run from the washroom when Tadek entered?
9. What made the roll calls at the camp so difficult to endure?
10. From the author's point of view, how did nationality affect the treatment that inmates received in the camp?
This section contains 1,298 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)