|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What illness afflicted the children who were lying near the door of the train car?
(a) Small pox.
(b) Scarlet fever.
2. How many patients did the hospital in the infirmary hold?
(a) Two hundred and fifty.
(b) Almost one hundred.
(c) From four to five hundred people.
(d) Twenty to thirty.
3. How often were the prisoners allowed to go to the latrines?
(a) Four times each day.
(b) Once a day.
(c) Three times, once after each meal.
(d) Twice each day.
4. How many people within the barracks had to share a single blanket?
5. What was the handsome, blue-eyed man doing in Olga's barrack?
(a) He was a doctor on his rounds.
(b) He had sneaked in to see one of the women.
(c) He was repairing the bunks.
(d) He was hiding from the camp police.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Olga and her fellow prisoners use as a mop?
2. According to the author, despite his handsome appearance, what characteristic of Dr. Mengele's made a person uneasy?
3. Why did Olga go into the washrooms at lunch?
4. What name was given to the barrack's "cages" into which the prisoners were divided?
5. What name was given to the internee who was chosen as barrack chief?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Olga blame herself for the deaths of her parents and children?
2. How were the people on the train cars affected by the trip and the inhumane conditions?
3. Describe the hierarchy of the prisoners in the camp.
4. Why did Olga ask forgiveness from her mother and father while they waited in the train car?
5. What were the conditions like in Olga's barracks?
6. How did Olga become a "rich woman" in the camp?
7. In what ways was Birkenau different from Auschwitz?
8. What struck Olga about the treatment of the young girls in the camp?
9. How did the Germans attempt to create animosity among the prisoners?
10. What details about their arrival offered the passengers hope that their conditions would be better at the camp?
This section contains 1,343 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)