|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What "rumor" did the woman in Olga's barrack share with Dr. Klein?
(a) Men and women met at lunch time in the washroom.
(b) The S.S. were poisoning the food that was served to the prisoners.
(c) Some people said that the sick were sent to the gas chamber.
(d) Russian troops were headed in the direction of the camp.
2. What was the handsome, blue-eyed man doing in Olga's barrack?
(a) He was repairing the bunks.
(b) He was a doctor on his rounds.
(c) He was hiding from the camp police.
(d) He had sneaked in to see one of the women.
3. What "presents" did Tadek, the blue-eyed man, give to Olga?
(a) Bits of twine in order to make herself a belt.
(b) A spoon and a tin cup.
(c) A potato and a shawl.
(d) A wooden knife and a handkerchief.
4. What was wrong with the young Greek girl who was brought into the infirmary from a neighboring barrack?
(a) She had pneumonia.
(b) She had dysentery.
(c) She was mentally ill.
(d) She was anemic.
5. According to the author, despite his handsome appearance, what characteristic of Dr. Mengele's made a person uneasy?
(a) A nasty scar running under his chin and up to his right ear.
(b) His smug grin.
(c) A wildness in his eyes.
(d) Nothing in particular; just something about his demeanor.
6. At each roll call, how many woman were lined up in front of each barrack?
7. What was Miklos Lengyel's profession?
(a) City adiministrator.
(d) Linguistics professor.
8. What advice did the handsome German prisoner have for Olga when she was looking for her son?
(a) "Pay one of the guards and he may tell you where to go."
(b) "Pretend to be German, and you might get kind treatment."
(c) "Forget him, and everyone else you knew, and just worry about yourself."
(d) "Don't give up looking, no matter what others tell you."
9. What was the first "tax" that was demanded of the passengers in the train car?
(a) Thirty wristwatches.
(b) All of their jewels.
(c) Twenty stocking hats and pairs of gloves.
(d) Twenty fountain pens.
10. Why did the elderly man not eat the potatoes in his soup?
(a) He was blind and could not see that there were potatoes in his soup.
(b) He had no teeth and the insides of the potatoes were uncooked.
(c) His mouth was wired shut, so he could only sip the broth.
(d) He wanted to exchange them for a "favor" from one of the women.
11. What disease did Tadek's new girlfriend eventually contract?
(b) Scarlet fever.
12. What response did the old inmate give Olga when she asked about the red brick building with the chimney?
(a) He told her that she did not want to know the truth.
(b) He smiled and told her that she would find out soon enough.
(c) He said it was an ammunition factory.
(d) He said it was the camp bakery.
13. According to the author, why was the male German prisoner, who saved her from the S.S., treated better than other prisoners?
(a) He was charming and handsome.
(b) He was a criminal, not a political prisoner.
(c) The German guards owed him favors.
(d) He had connections in the German military.
14. What metaphor did the author use to describe the train cars at the beginning of Chapter 2?
(a) Cattle barns.
(d) Hospital wards.
15. How many people were usually taken from each barrack during a selection?
(a) At least 100 people.
(b) Between 50 and 60 people.
(c) Between 20 and 40 people.
(d) Between 75 and 90 people.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long after their arrival did Olga and her fellow prisoners receive their first morning meal?
2. How many days did it take for the train that was carrying Olga and her family to arrive at its destination?
3. What did Olga hide in her boot?
4. What did Olga pick up from the ground that helped her escape from the group of prisoners headed for the gas chamber?
5. What illness afflicted the children who were lying near the door of the train car?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)