|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters V through IX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the difference between the coffee that the prisoners were served and the tea that they were given?
(a) Coffee was only given to the higher-ranking prisoners.
(b) The coffee was a darker color than the tea.
(c) There was no real difference.
(d) The coffee gave off a much more foul odor.
2. How long had the blue-eyed man been in prison camps?
(a) Four years.
(b) Three years.
(c) Six years.
(d) Two years.
3. What response did the old inmate give Olga when she asked about the red brick building with the chimney?
(a) He said it was an ammunition factory.
(b) He told her that she did not want to know the truth.
(c) He said it was the camp bakery.
(d) He smiled and told her that she would find out soon enough.
4. How did the children in the camp speak about the goings-on of the camp?
(a) Calmly and realistically.
(b) Quietly and anxiously.
(c) Tearfully and sometimes hysterically.
(d) They did not speak about it.
5. What time did the infirmary begin to see patients each day?
(a) Five o'clock in the morning.
(b) Four o'clock in the morning.
(c) Seven o'clock in the morning.
(d) Six o'clock in the morning.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the German major who stayed with the Lengyel family, why did his family complain whenever he returned home?
2. What name was given to the barrack's "cages" into which the prisoners were divided?
3. What happened to the prisoners who drank stagnant water from the puddles?
4. What metaphor did the author use to describe the train cars at the beginning of Chapter 2?
5. What disease did Tadek's new girlfriend eventually contract?
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)