|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Caepio being sent?
2. What does Marius believe will be of greater incentive to the head-count army?
3. What information does the prince who returns with Sulla share with Marius?
4. What does Caepio do about the final orders?
5. Who sneaks in to kill the leaders of the coup?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marius's wish about the march reveal about his origins?
2. What new bill does Saturninus introduce and what are the repercussions of this introduction?
3. What realization does Caepio come to one day when he is fishing on the lake and what does he find?
4. What has happened with the two kings who survived the battle in Africa?
5. How does Caepio's methods for creating an army differ from Marius's?
6. How does Caepio spend his time once he deals with the few barbarians left in the area?
7. What kind of triumphal march does Marius want and why does he want this kind?
8. What does Marius realize about the German's food supply?
9. What path does Marius decide to take and why does he decide to take this path?
10. What happens when Marius and his army meet the Cimbri army and why is this the case?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Marius so concerned about securing land for the head-count soldiers? Is this a selfish or selfless act? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the difference in character between Sulla and Marius. Which of the two demonstrates better character? Why do you feel this way?
Essay Topic 3
Which characters in the novel complete actions based on revenge? Is this an appropriate motivator? Why or why not?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)