|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Senate do for Marius in absentia?
2. Why does Drusus write to Caepio?
3. What is there a shortage of in Rome?
4. What does Caepio do with all of the gold he finds?
5. Which other character rushes back to Rome to tell a different version of the story than the one Caepio plans on telling?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is happening to Gaius Caesar (elder) and what happens to his son?
2. How does Caepio's methods for creating an army differ from Marius's?
3. What new bill does Saturninus introduce and what are the repercussions of this introduction?
4. Why is the idea of two separate Triumphs repellent and what does Marius suggest instead?
5. What happens to the gold that Caepio has sent on its way to a city near Rome and how does he react?
6. How does Sulla tell Volux he can prove his trustworthiness and what happens?
7. What steps does Marius take which he hopes will help his case and how does the election turn out?
8. What happens when Caepio receives the orders that he must give up command to Mallius?
9. How do Caepio's end up finding men to fill their legions?
10. What realization does Caepio come to one day when he is fishing on the lake and what does he find?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the difference in character between Sulla and Marius. Which of the two demonstrates better character? Why do you feel this way?
Essay Topic 2
From the beginning of the novel, Marius believes he is destined for greatness. How do you think this belief about himself has helped him to achieve what he has at the end of the novel? What do you think would have happened had he not had this belief?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how there are two different kinds of Man of the People. Which characters represent each kind? Is this still the case in modern society? Why or why not?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)