|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Saturninus decide to do when he decides that his change at election is futile?
2. Which other character rushes back to Rome to tell a different version of the story than the one Caepio plans on telling?
3. How long does it take Marius's army to defeat the entire Cimbri army?
4. What is there a shortage of in Rome?
5. What happens to the elder Gais Caesar in chapter six?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marius realize about the German's food supply?
2. How does Caepio feel about the orders he was given to give up command of his army and what does he do in return?
3. How do Caepio's end up finding men to fill their legions?
4. What happens when Caepio receives the orders that he must give up command to Mallius?
5. How does Sulla tell Volux he can prove his trustworthiness and what happens?
6. What realization does Caepio come to one day when he is fishing on the lake and what does he find?
7. What has happened with the two kings who survived the battle in Africa?
8. What happens when Marius and his army meet the Cimbri army and why is this the case?
9. Why does King Bocchus become involved in the war in Africa?
10. How does Caepio spend his time once he deals with the few barbarians left in the area?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At several points in the novel, Marius side steps the Senate. Do you think he was justified in this action? Why or why not? Could someone take these same steps today? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the senate as it is described throughout the novel to the modern senate. In what ways do they act the same? In what ways are they different? Which do you think is better for its citizens? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Which characters in the novel complete actions based on revenge? Is this an appropriate motivator? Why or why not?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)