|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What message does Marius send back to King Bocchus?
2. Why does Marius suggest a joint triumph?
3. What happens to Jugurtha?
4. What does Marius do that is expressly illegal?
5. What allows Saturninus to cast the deciding vote in Marius's land bill?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Sulla return with and what does this person share with both he and Marius?
2. How does Caepio feel about the orders he was given to give up command of his army and what does he do in return?
3. What happens when both Caepio and Mallius return to the senate to tell their side of the story and what is the senate's decision as to how to protect themselves?
4. How does Caepio's methods for creating an army differ from Marius's?
5. What is Publius an expert on and what does he hope to do some day?
6. What does Marius's wish about the march reveal about his origins?
7. What happens when Caepio receives the orders that he must give up command to Mallius?
8. What happens to Caepio when the German's defeat the divided army?
9. What happens when Marius and his army meet the Cimbri army and why is this the case?
10. What is Marius's argument to get more men to serve in the Roman legions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does luck play throughout the novel? How do the characters feel about the luck? Why do you think this is the case?
Essay Topic 2
At several points in the novel, Marius side steps the Senate. Do you think he was justified in this action? Why or why not? Could someone take these same steps today? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Write a comparison essay about Sulla and Marius. Consider how they behave? Which one makes the better leader? Which one seems most trustworthy? Why?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)