|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the senate begin to fear Marius?
2. Why does Marius ensure that his position is heavily fortified?
3. Who does Sulla take with him on his adventure?
4. Why does Marius have his men repair roads and bridges when he arrives in Gaul?
5. How has Sulla been able to learn how to speak German?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Caepio's methods for creating an army differ from Marius's?
2. How do Caepio's end up finding men to fill their legions?
3. What message does Marius tell Sulla to deliver to King Bocchus?
4. What happens when Caepio receives the orders that he must give up command to Mallius?
5. What happens to Caepio when the German's defeat the divided army?
6. What happens when both Caepio and Mallius return to the senate to tell their side of the story and what is the senate's decision as to how to protect themselves?
7. What steps does Marius take which he hopes will help his case and how does the election turn out?
8. What does Scaurus believe about the grain prices and what repercussions does this belief lead to?
9. What is Publius an expert on and what does he hope to do some day?
10. Who does Sulla return with and what does this person share with both he and Marius?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the difference in character between Sulla and Marius. Which of the two demonstrates better character? Why do you feel this way?
Essay Topic 2
Write a comparison essay about Sulla and Marius. Consider how they behave? Which one makes the better leader? Which one seems most trustworthy? Why?
Essay Topic 3
How does motivation play a part in the character's rise and fall from Roman society in this novel? Who has the purer motivations for the actions he takes? Why do you think this way?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)