|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Scaurus suspect has been happening in regard to the grain?
2. What does Sulla suspect the Germans will do before they begin the invasion?
3. What does Marius have constructed to help the army get into the fortress?
4. Who does the senate give complete dictator powers to?
5. What does Caepio find when he arrives in Gaul?
Short Essay Questions
1. What path does Marius decide to take and why does he decide to take this path?
2. What is Marius's argument to get more men to serve in the Roman legions?
3. What does Marius realize about the German's food supply?
4. What new bill does Saturninus introduce and what are the repercussions of this introduction?
5. What happens when both Caepio and Mallius return to the senate to tell their side of the story and what is the senate's decision as to how to protect themselves?
6. What happens when Caepio receives the orders that he must give up command to Mallius?
7. What is Marius's plan for ending the war in Africa for once and all?
8. How do Caepio's end up finding men to fill their legions?
9. Why is the idea of two separate Triumphs repellent and what does Marius suggest instead?
10. What kind of triumphal march does Marius want and why does he want this kind?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the difference in character between Caepio and Marius. Which of the two demonstrates better character? Why do you feel this way?
Essay Topic 2
Which character demonstrates the greatest amount of Roman noble characteristics? Why do you think this way? Which one demonstrates the least amount of these characteristics? Why do you think this way?
Essay Topic 3
At several points in the novel, Marius side steps the Senate. Do you think he was justified in this action? Why or why not? Could someone take these same steps today? Why or why not?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)