|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sulla make his proposal to Marius?
2. Where is Caepio being sent?
3. What does Marius believe will be of greater incentive to the head-count army?
4. Why does Caepio decide to stay in Gaul for awhile?
5. Who does the senate give complete dictator powers to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Caepio feel about the orders he was given to give up command of his army and what does he do in return?
2. What is Marius's argument to get more men to serve in the Roman legions?
3. Why does King Bocchus become involved in the war in Africa?
4. What happens when Caepio receives the orders that he must give up command to Mallius?
5. How does Sulla tell Volux he can prove his trustworthiness and what happens?
6. What realization does Caepio come to one day when he is fishing on the lake and what does he find?
7. What is Publius an expert on and what does he hope to do some day?
8. What does Marius realize about the German's food supply?
9. What happens to Caepio when the German's defeat the divided army?
10. What is Marius's plan for ending the war in Africa for once and all?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how there are two different kinds of Man of the People. Which characters represent each kind? Is this still the case in modern society? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How does motivation play a part in the character's rise and fall from Roman society in this novel? Who has the purer motivations for the actions he takes? Why do you think this way?
Essay Topic 3
From the beginning of the novel, Marius believes he is destined for greatness. How do you think this belief about himself has helped him to achieve what he has at the end of the novel? What do you think would have happened had he not had this belief?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)