|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What idea does Sulla propose to Marius?
2. What is there a shortage of in Rome?
3. What information does the prince who returns with Sulla share with Marius?
4. Who does Caepio believe should be in command of a united army?
5. What allows Saturninus to cast the deciding vote in Marius's land bill?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the gold that Caepio has sent on its way to a city near Rome and how does he react?
2. How does Sulla tell Volux he can prove his trustworthiness and what happens?
3. What is happening to Gaius Caesar (elder) and what happens to his son?
4. What happens when Marius and his army meet the Cimbri army and why is this the case?
5. What do the senators believe will happen to Marius and whose behavior compounds this issue further?
6. What has happened with the two kings who survived the battle in Africa?
7. What message does Marius tell Sulla to deliver to King Bocchus?
8. What does Marius's wish about the march reveal about his origins?
9. What happens when Caepio receives the orders that he must give up command to Mallius?
10. Who does Sulla return with and what does this person share with both he and Marius?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does luck play throughout the novel? How do the characters feel about the luck? Why do you think this is the case?
Essay Topic 2
A key principle in republican Rome was the importance of a citizen army. Why is this the case? Does this remain as important today? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Which characters in the novel complete actions based on revenge? Is this an appropriate motivator? Why or why not?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)