|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How successful is Caepio's plan for raising a new army?
2. Where does Marius imprison Saturninus?
3. What oath does Saturninus make the senators take?
4. What idea does Sulla propose to Marius?
5. Who does Caepio believe should be in command of a united army?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Caepio when the German's defeat the divided army?
2. What do the senators believe will happen to Marius and whose behavior compounds this issue further?
3. What steps does Marius take which he hopes will help his case and how does the election turn out?
4. What realization does Caepio come to one day when he is fishing on the lake and what does he find?
5. What is Marius's plan for ending the war in Africa for once and all?
6. What path does Marius decide to take and why does he decide to take this path?
7. What happens when both Caepio and Mallius return to the senate to tell their side of the story and what is the senate's decision as to how to protect themselves?
8. What kind of triumphal march does Marius want and why does he want this kind?
9. What has happened with the two kings who survived the battle in Africa?
10. Why does King Bocchus become involved in the war in Africa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you believe the senate distrusts and dislikes Marius so much? Are their beliefs founded or unfounded? Why ?
Essay Topic 2
What happened to friendships throughout this novel? Were there any real friendships? If so, how did they survive? If not, why weren't there any?
Essay Topic 3
From the beginning of the novel, Marius believes he is destined for greatness. How do you think this belief about himself has helped him to achieve what he has at the end of the novel? What do you think would have happened had he not had this belief?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)