|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters beats a senator to death for ripping off his toga?
2. What new controversial law does Marius want to pass?
3. What two things does Publius find in the cave?
4. How does King Bocchus respond to giving Sulla Jugurtha?
5. How has Sulla been able to learn how to speak German?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the idea of two separate Triumphs repellent and what does Marius suggest instead?
2. Who does Sulla return with and what does this person share with both he and Marius?
3. What path does Marius decide to take and why does he decide to take this path?
4. What kind of triumphal march does Marius want and why does he want this kind?
5. What happens when both Caepio and Mallius return to the senate to tell their side of the story and what is the senate's decision as to how to protect themselves?
6. What happens when Marius and his army meet the Cimbri army and why is this the case?
7. What is Marius's argument to get more men to serve in the Roman legions?
8. What happens when Caepio receives the orders that he must give up command to Mallius?
9. What message does Marius tell Sulla to deliver to King Bocchus?
10. What does Marius's wish about the march reveal about his origins?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you believe the senate distrusts and dislikes Marius so much? Are their beliefs founded or unfounded? Why ?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the difference in character between Sulla and Marius. Which of the two demonstrates better character? Why do you feel this way?
Essay Topic 3
Why is Marius so concerned about securing land for the head-count soldiers? Is this a selfish or selfless act? Why?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)