|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Caepio order his men to do to verify if there is gold and silver present?
2. What happens to Jugurtha?
3. What happens when Sulla goes to see King Bocchus and deliver Marius's message?
4. Why do Caepio and his son race back to Rome after the battle?
5. Why does Marius ensure that his position is heavily fortified?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does King Bocchus become involved in the war in Africa?
2. What message does Marius tell Sulla to deliver to King Bocchus?
3. What steps does Marius take which he hopes will help his case and how does the election turn out?
4. How do Caepio's end up finding men to fill their legions?
5. What do the senators believe will happen to Marius and whose behavior compounds this issue further?
6. What realization does Caepio come to one day when he is fishing on the lake and what does he find?
7. How does Sulla tell Volux he can prove his trustworthiness and what happens?
8. What is Publius an expert on and what does he hope to do some day?
9. What has happened with the two kings who survived the battle in Africa?
10. What does Marius realize about the German's food supply?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Marius so concerned about securing land for the head-count soldiers? Is this a selfish or selfless act? Why?
Essay Topic 2
At the beginning of the novel, Sulla murders numerous people. Why does he take these actions? How does he react to these situations? Are his actions justified? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how there are two different kinds of Man of the People. Which characters represent each kind? Is this still the case in modern society? Why or why not?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)