|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Caepio want to give up his command?
2. Where is Caepio being sent?
3. What happens to Jugurtha?
4. Why do Caepio and his son race back to Rome after the battle?
5. What comforts Caepio after the situation with the gold?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the gold that Caepio has sent on its way to a city near Rome and how does he react?
2. What has happened with the two kings who survived the battle in Africa?
3. What is Marius's argument to get more men to serve in the Roman legions?
4. What does Scaurus believe about the grain prices and what repercussions does this belief lead to?
5. What is happening to Gaius Caesar (elder) and what happens to his son?
6. How does Sulla tell Volux he can prove his trustworthiness and what happens?
7. What happens when Marius and his army meet the Cimbri army and why is this the case?
8. What path does Marius decide to take and why does he decide to take this path?
9. What steps does Marius take which he hopes will help his case and how does the election turn out?
10. How does Caepio spend his time once he deals with the few barbarians left in the area?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character demonstrates the greatest amount of Roman noble characteristics? Why do you think this way? Which one demonstrates the least amount of these characteristics? Why do you think this way?
Essay Topic 2
How does motivation play a part in the character's rise and fall from Roman society in this novel? Who has the purer motivations for the actions he takes? Why do you think this way?
Essay Topic 3
At several points in the novel, Marius side steps the Senate. Do you think he was justified in this action? Why or why not? Could someone take these same steps today? Why or why not?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)