|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What message does Marius send back to King Bocchus?
2. Why does Marius suggest a joint triumph?
3. Why does Marius have his men repair roads and bridges when he arrives in Gaul?
4. How has Sulla been able to learn how to speak German?
5. What does Marius have constructed to help the army get into the fortress?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the gold that Caepio has sent on its way to a city near Rome and how does he react?
2. How does Sulla tell Volux he can prove his trustworthiness and what happens?
3. What does Scaurus believe about the grain prices and what repercussions does this belief lead to?
4. What is happening to Gaius Caesar (elder) and what happens to his son?
5. What new bill does Saturninus introduce and what are the repercussions of this introduction?
6. Why is the idea of two separate Triumphs repellent and what does Marius suggest instead?
7. What happens when Caepio receives the orders that he must give up command to Mallius?
8. What is Marius's plan for ending the war in Africa for once and all?
9. How does Caepio feel about the orders he was given to give up command of his army and what does he do in return?
10. What is Publius an expert on and what does he hope to do some day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character demonstrates the greatest amount of Roman noble characteristics? Why do you think this way? Which one demonstrates the least amount of these characteristics? Why do you think this way?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the difference in character between Caepio and Marius. Which of the two demonstrates better character? Why do you feel this way?
Essay Topic 3
From the beginning of the novel, Marius believes he is destined for greatness. How do you think this belief about himself has helped him to achieve what he has at the end of the novel? What do you think would have happened had he not had this belief?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)