|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sulla make his proposal to Marius?
2. When Marius returns to Rome, what doe she immediately want to focus on?
3. What oath does Saturninus make the senators take?
4. Which other character rushes back to Rome to tell a different version of the story than the one Caepio plans on telling?
5. How does Caepio feel about what happened to the gold?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Publius an expert on and what does he hope to do some day?
2. What new bill does Saturninus introduce and what are the repercussions of this introduction?
3. What steps does Marius take which he hopes will help his case and how does the election turn out?
4. How does Caepio spend his time once he deals with the few barbarians left in the area?
5. What happens when Caepio receives the orders that he must give up command to Mallius?
6. What does Marius's wish about the march reveal about his origins?
7. What does Marius realize about the German's food supply?
8. What is happening to Gaius Caesar (elder) and what happens to his son?
9. What path does Marius decide to take and why does he decide to take this path?
10. What happens when Marius and his army meet the Cimbri army and why is this the case?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the senate as it is described throughout the novel to the modern senate. In what ways do they act the same? In what ways are they different? Which do you think is better for its citizens? Why?
Essay Topic 2
At the beginning of the novel, Sulla murders numerous people. Why does he take these actions? How does he react to these situations? Are his actions justified? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
A key principle in republican Rome was the importance of a citizen army. Why is this the case? Does this remain as important today? Why or why not?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)