|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What idea does Sulla propose to Marius?
2. What does Marius have constructed to help the army get into the fortress?
3. Who sets up Gais Caesar the younger to marry Aurelia?
4. Which of the following characters is the newly elected consul?
5. How did Caepio's son survive the battle?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sulla tell Volux he can prove his trustworthiness and what happens?
2. How do Caepio's end up finding men to fill their legions?
3. What happens when both Caepio and Mallius return to the senate to tell their side of the story and what is the senate's decision as to how to protect themselves?
4. What steps does Marius take which he hopes will help his case and how does the election turn out?
5. What is Publius an expert on and what does he hope to do some day?
6. What is Marius's argument to get more men to serve in the Roman legions?
7. What does Marius realize about the German's food supply?
8. What kind of triumphal march does Marius want and why does he want this kind?
9. How does Caepio feel about the orders he was given to give up command of his army and what does he do in return?
10. What does Marius's wish about the march reveal about his origins?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which characters in the novel complete actions based on revenge? Is this an appropriate motivator? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you believe the senate distrusts and dislikes Marius so much? Are their beliefs founded or unfounded? Why ?
Essay Topic 3
Write a comparison essay about Sulla and Marius. Consider how they behave? Which one makes the better leader? Which one seems most trustworthy? Why?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)