|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Marius suggest a joint triumph?
2. What does Saturninus decide to do when he decides that his change at election is futile?
3. When Marius returns to Rome, what doe she immediately want to focus on?
4. What does Sulla suspect the Germans will do before they begin the invasion?
5. What information does Marius share with the crowd that makes everyone happy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Marius and his army meet the Cimbri army and why is this the case?
2. What does Marius's wish about the march reveal about his origins?
3. What happens when both Caepio and Mallius return to the senate to tell their side of the story and what is the senate's decision as to how to protect themselves?
4. What do the senators believe will happen to Marius and whose behavior compounds this issue further?
5. How does Caepio spend his time once he deals with the few barbarians left in the area?
6. What does Marius realize about the German's food supply?
7. What is happening to Gaius Caesar (elder) and what happens to his son?
8. What is Marius's argument to get more men to serve in the Roman legions?
9. What happens when Caepio receives the orders that he must give up command to Mallius?
10. What is Marius's plan for ending the war in Africa for once and all?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does motivation play a part in the character's rise and fall from Roman society in this novel? Who has the purer motivations for the actions he takes? Why do you think this way?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you believe the senate distrusts and dislikes Marius so much? Are their beliefs founded or unfounded? Why ?
Essay Topic 3
From the beginning of the novel, Marius believes he is destined for greatness. How do you think this belief about himself has helped him to achieve what he has at the end of the novel? What do you think would have happened had he not had this belief?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)