|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How successful is Caepio's plan for raising a new army?
2. Who does Caepio believe should be in command of a united army?
3. Why do Caepio and his son race back to Rome after the battle?
4. What new controversial law does Marius want to pass?
5. What does Caepio find when he arrives in Gaul?
Short Essay Questions
1. What steps does Marius take which he hopes will help his case and how does the election turn out?
2. How does Caepio spend his time once he deals with the few barbarians left in the area?
3. What do the senators believe will happen to Marius and whose behavior compounds this issue further?
4. Who does Sulla return with and what does this person share with both he and Marius?
5. Why is the idea of two separate Triumphs repellent and what does Marius suggest instead?
6. What realization does Caepio come to one day when he is fishing on the lake and what does he find?
7. How does Sulla tell Volux he can prove his trustworthiness and what happens?
8. What kind of triumphal march does Marius want and why does he want this kind?
9. What does Marius's wish about the march reveal about his origins?
10. What has happened with the two kings who survived the battle in Africa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a comparison essay about Sulla and Marius. Consider how they behave? Which one makes the better leader? Which one seems most trustworthy? Why?
Essay Topic 2
How does motivation play a part in the character's rise and fall from Roman society in this novel? Who has the purer motivations for the actions he takes? Why do you think this way?
Essay Topic 3
Why is Marius so concerned about securing land for the head-count soldiers? Is this a selfish or selfless act? Why?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)