|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Senate do for Marius in absentia?
2. Who is forced to admit the law forcing the Senators to take an oath is invalid?
3. What does the message the senate sends to Caepio tell him to do?
4. When does Sulla find out that the German Army plans to attack Italy?
5. Which of the following characters beats a senator to death for ripping off his toga?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Caepio receives the orders that he must give up command to Mallius?
2. What message does Marius tell Sulla to deliver to King Bocchus?
3. What new bill does Saturninus introduce and what are the repercussions of this introduction?
4. What happens when Marius and his army meet the Cimbri army and why is this the case?
5. What happens to Caepio when the German's defeat the divided army?
6. What steps does Marius take which he hopes will help his case and how does the election turn out?
7. What realization does Caepio come to one day when he is fishing on the lake and what does he find?
8. What does Marius realize about the German's food supply?
9. What happens to the gold that Caepio has sent on its way to a city near Rome and how does he react?
10. What does Scaurus believe about the grain prices and what repercussions does this belief lead to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the beginning of the novel, Sulla murders numerous people. Why does he take these actions? How does he react to these situations? Are his actions justified? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the senate as it is described throughout the novel to the modern senate. In what ways do they act the same? In what ways are they different? Which do you think is better for its citizens? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you believe the senate distrusts and dislikes Marius so much? Are their beliefs founded or unfounded? Why ?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)