|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What oath does Saturninus make the senators take?
2. What does Marius recognize as being important to a military man?
3. Which of the following is not part of Caepio's punishment after he is convicted?
4. What two things does Publius find in the cave?
5. What is there a shortage of in Rome?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has happened with the two kings who survived the battle in Africa?
2. What happens when Marius and his army meet the Cimbri army and why is this the case?
3. How does Caepio spend his time once he deals with the few barbarians left in the area?
4. What new bill does Saturninus introduce and what are the repercussions of this introduction?
5. What message does Marius tell Sulla to deliver to King Bocchus?
6. What happens when Caepio receives the orders that he must give up command to Mallius?
7. What path does Marius decide to take and why does he decide to take this path?
8. What realization does Caepio come to one day when he is fishing on the lake and what does he find?
9. What do the senators believe will happen to Marius and whose behavior compounds this issue further?
10. Why does King Bocchus become involved in the war in Africa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From the beginning of the novel, Marius believes he is destined for greatness. How do you think this belief about himself has helped him to achieve what he has at the end of the novel? What do you think would have happened had he not had this belief?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways are Marius and the other New Men a threat to all the things the senators hold dear? Are these real threats or exaggerated?
Essay Topic 3
How does motivation play a part in the character's rise and fall from Roman society in this novel? Who has the purer motivations for the actions he takes? Why do you think this way?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)