|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marius believe will be of greater incentive to the head-count army?
2. Why does Drusus write to Caepio?
3. What does Marius seem to seek out?
4. What comforts Caepio after the situation with the gold?
5. Why does Saturninus leave Rome?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is happening to Gaius Caesar (elder) and what happens to his son?
2. What has happened with the two kings who survived the battle in Africa?
3. What happens when Caepio receives the orders that he must give up command to Mallius?
4. Who does Sulla return with and what does this person share with both he and Marius?
5. What message does Marius tell Sulla to deliver to King Bocchus?
6. What kind of triumphal march does Marius want and why does he want this kind?
7. What happens when Marius and his army meet the Cimbri army and why is this the case?
8. How does Caepio feel about the orders he was given to give up command of his army and what does he do in return?
9. What is Marius's plan for ending the war in Africa for once and all?
10. What does Marius realize about the German's food supply?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What kind of man is Sulla? Why do you think he was successful with Marius? What do you think will happen to him without the army and Marius?
Essay Topic 2
Which characters in the novel complete actions based on revenge? Is this an appropriate motivator? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How does motivation play a part in the character's rise and fall from Roman society in this novel? Who has the purer motivations for the actions he takes? Why do you think this way?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)