|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do many of the Roman citizens fear an invasion?
2. How doe the senators feel about the bill Marius has proposed?
3. Why were Cassius's troops defeated?
4. Why was Julilia starving herself?
5. How does Sulla ensure Hercules will not tell his part in the deception?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Marius and Rufus do because of their frustrations with Metellus's mishandling of the war in Africa?
2. Why did Marius have such a good turn out at the meeting of the Senators he called?
3. What attitude has Julilla adopted about Marius?
4. What happened to Metellus and his troops in Africa?
5. What happens when Marius goes to see Marth, the King's prophet?
6. What does Caesar confide to Marius privately about Sulla and how does Marius react?
7. What must Marius do in order to marry one of Caesar's daughters?
8. What bill did Marius introduce that the other Senators were not happy he introduced?
9. What does Marius ask of Sulla when the meet for the first time?
10. Why does Marius want to return to Rome and what does Metellus do about his request?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character demonstrates the greatest amount of Roman noble characteristics? Why do you think this way? Which one demonstrates the least amount of these characteristics? Why do you think this way?
Essay Topic 2
What kind of man is Sulla? Why do you think he was successful with Marius? What do you think will happen to him without the army and Marius?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the senate as it is described throughout the novel to the modern senate. In what ways do they act the same? In what ways are they different? Which do you think is better for its citizens? Why?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)