|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened right after Metellus brought his troops home from Africa?
2. What has happened to Metellus's credibility in Rome?
3. What type of family is Marius's?
4. What happens to the second child Marius and Julia have?
5. Why do so many senators show up at the meeting Marius calls?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the gold that Caepio has sent on its way to a city near Rome and how does he react?
2. What does Gaius Caesar inform Sulla about Clitumna after her death?
3. How does Sulla tell Volux he can prove his trustworthiness and what happens?
4. What kind of triumphal march does Marius want and why does he want this kind?
5. What is Marius's argument to get more men to serve in the Roman legions?
6. What has happened with the two kings who survived the battle in Africa?
7. What path does Marius decide to take and why does he decide to take this path?
8. What do the senators believe will happen to Marius and whose behavior compounds this issue further?
9. What is Publius an expert on and what does he hope to do some day?
10. How did Marius serve the army and what was the outcome of his service?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character demonstrates the greatest amount of Roman noble characteristics? Why do you think this way? Which one demonstrates the least amount of these characteristics? Why do you think this way?
Essay Topic 2
At several points in the novel, Marius side steps the Senate. Do you think he was justified in this action? Why or why not? Could someone take these same steps today? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What happened to friendships throughout this novel? Were there any real friendships? If so, how did they survive? If not, why weren't there any?
This section contains 1,177 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)