|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Gaius Julius Caesar concerned about his daughter giving birth?
2. Why do so many senators show up at the meeting Marius calls?
3. What status might have affected Marius's ability to be elected consul?
4. Which of the following is the best definition of the phrase "The First Man in Rome?"
5. What would the pletariat be able to get for enlisting?
Short Essay Questions
1. What attitude has Julilla adopted about Marius?
2. What happens when Marius goes to see Marth, the King's prophet?
3. How does Marius respond to the complaints and issues the Senators bring up about his proposed bill?
4. From who does the Julian clan claim to be descended from and what does this give them in society?
5. What does Marius ask of Sulla when the meet for the first time?
6. What must Marius do in order to marry one of Caesar's daughters?
7. How did Marius serve the army and what was the outcome of his service?
8. How did Sulla find out that the mushroom Nicopolis was picking was poisonous and what did he do about it?
9. What changes does Marius make to the legions he takes with him back to Africa?
10. What does Gaius Caesar inform Sulla about Clitumna after her death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the beginning of the novel, Sulla murders numerous people. Why does he take these actions? How does he react to these situations? Are his actions justified? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the difference in character between Sulla and Marius. Which of the two demonstrates better character? Why do you feel this way?
Essay Topic 3
At several points in the novel, Marius side steps the Senate. Do you think he was justified in this action? Why or why not? Could someone take these same steps today? Why or why not?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)