|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is the best definition of the phrase "The First Man in Rome?"
2. Which of the following characters did the three army friends insult?
3. Who is Gauda?
4. Which of the following is now an important senator?
5. What happened after the Germans defeated Silanus's army?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Jugurtha currently in Rome?
2. What changes does Marius make to the legions he takes with him back to Africa?
3. What complications happened to Julia during the birth and how did the situation end?
4. From who does the Julian clan claim to be descended from and what does this give them in society?
5. What does Marius ask of Sulla when the meet for the first time?
6. Why did Marius have such a good turn out at the meeting of the Senators he called?
7. Why is Bomilcar unhappy with Jugurtha?
8. What has been happening to the Roman army lately and what has this caused?
9. Why does Marius want to return to Rome and what does Metellus do about his request?
10. To what was Metellus elected and with this election what was he given?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What happened to friendships throughout this novel? Were there any real friendships? If so, how did they survive? If not, why weren't there any?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways are Marius and the other New Men a threat to all the things the senators hold dear? Are these real threats or exaggerated?
Essay Topic 3
What role does luck play throughout the novel? How do the characters feel about the luck? Why do you think this is the case?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)