|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marius do with those that surrendered when he took over the castle?
2. What kills Stichus?
3. How does Marius feel when he leaves the senators?
4. Why is the king of Numidia, Jugurtha in the city?
5. On which holiday does this novel begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marius ask of Sulla when the meet for the first time?
2. What bill did Marius introduce that the other Senators were not happy he introduced?
3. Why did Marius have such a good turn out at the meeting of the Senators he called?
4. What attitude has Julilla adopted about Marius?
5. Why is Bomilcar unhappy with Jugurtha?
6. How did Sulla find out that the mushroom Nicopolis was picking was poisonous and what did he do about it?
7. What does Mariuus want and what stops him from achieving this goal?
8. Why was Julilla starving herself and what was the response to this action?
9. Where does Sulla find Clitumna when he returns and what does he do when he finds her?
10. What do Marius and Rufus do because of their frustrations with Metellus's mishandling of the war in Africa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A key principle in republican Rome was the importance of a citizen army. Why is this the case? Does this remain as important today? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
At the beginning of the novel, Sulla murders numerous people. Why does he take these actions? How does he react to these situations? Are his actions justified? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how there are two different kinds of Man of the People. Which characters represent each kind? Is this still the case in modern society? Why or why not?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)