|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why won't Jugurtha make Bomilcar the regent of the kingdom?
2. What ambition has Sulla lost?
3. Why is Gaius Julius Caesar concerned about his daughter giving birth?
4. How does Marius begin his speech to the senators?
5. With whom is Gauda unhappy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Jugurtha currently in Rome?
2. How did Marius serve the army and what was the outcome of his service?
3. How does Marius respond to the complaints and issues the Senators bring up about his proposed bill?
4. Why was Silanus intentionally left behind while the others left for the mission in Africa?
5. What do Marius and Rufus do because of their frustrations with Metellus's mishandling of the war in Africa?
6. What complications happened to Julia during the birth and how did the situation end?
7. What has been happening to the Roman army lately and what has this caused?
8. What happened to Metellus and his troops in Africa?
9. Describe both of Caesar's daughters.
10. What is Sulla's heritage and how does he currently live?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From the beginning of the novel, Marius believes he is destined for greatness. How do you think this belief about himself has helped him to achieve what he has at the end of the novel? What do you think would have happened had he not had this belief?
Essay Topic 2
At several points in the novel, Marius side steps the Senate. Do you think he was justified in this action? Why or why not? Could someone take these same steps today? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Several characters in the novel committed treason. Which characters committed treason? How were their betrayals handled? Were these just punishments? Why or why not?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)