|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do many of the Roman citizens fear an invasion?
2. What type of family is Marius's?
3. How much time has passed from the end of chapter one to the beginning of chapter two?
4. What complications does Julia experience as she gives birth?
5. Which of the following is the best definition of the phrase "The First Man in Rome?"
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Sulla find Clitumna when he returns and what does he do when he finds her?
2. What does Gaius Caesar inform Sulla about Clitumna after her death?
3. What has been happening to the Roman army lately and what has this caused?
4. Who had prepared Nicopolis's will and what were the terms of the will?
5. Why was Julilla starving herself and what was the response to this action?
6. What is Sulla's heritage and how does he currently live?
7. What happened to Metellus and his troops in Africa?
8. What do Marius and Rufus do because of their frustrations with Metellus's mishandling of the war in Africa?
9. From who does the Julian clan claim to be descended from and what does this give them in society?
10. What must Marius do in order to marry one of Caesar's daughters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the beginning of the novel, Sulla murders numerous people. Why does he take these actions? How does he react to these situations? Are his actions justified? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how there are two different kinds of Man of the People. Which characters represent each kind? Is this still the case in modern society? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Which character demonstrates the greatest amount of Roman noble characteristics? Why do you think this way? Which one demonstrates the least amount of these characteristics? Why do you think this way?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)