|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following characters did the three army friends insult?
2. Why do so many senators show up at the meeting Marius calls?
(a) They want to remove him from power.
(b) They want to welcome him.
(c) They want to undermine his authority.
(d) They want to keep an eye on him.
3. What does Marius hope his campaign will do?
(a) Get him elected.
(b) Save his wife and son.
(c) Expose Metellus's incompetence.
(d) End the war in Africa.
4. What does Marius do as he travels throughout Africa?
(a) He looks for Jugurtha.
(b) He promotes his letter writing campaign against Metellus.
(c) He searches for ways to help Gauda.
(d) He plots to kill Metellus.
5. Which of the following was a reason that Silanus was left behind?
(a) It was thought he lacked the talent to be in battle.
(b) He was the oldest and wisest of the senators.
(c) It was thought he would not survive the trip to Africa.
(d) He was the strongest consul member to protect the city.
Short Answer Questions
1. On which holiday does this novel begin?
2. How many legions of new soldiers does Marius hope to raise?
3. Why was Julilia starving herself?
4. What was Caesar appointed?
5. How does Marius feel when he leaves the senators?
Short Essay Questions
1. What bill did Marius introduce that the other Senators were not happy he introduced?
2. Why was Julilla starving herself and what was the response to this action?
3. Describe both of Caesar's daughters.
4. Where does Sulla find Clitumna when he returns and what does he do when he finds her?
5. What do Marius and Rufus do because of their frustrations with Metellus's mishandling of the war in Africa?
6. From who does the Julian clan claim to be descended from and what does this give them in society?
7. Why does Marius want to return to Rome and what does Metellus do about his request?
8. What happens when Marius goes to see Marth, the King's prophet?
9. How did Marius serve the army and what was the outcome of his service?
10. What does Gaius Caesar inform Sulla about Clitumna after her death?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)