|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What status might have affected Marius's ability to be elected consul?
(a) Defined man.
(b) One man.
(c) New man.
(d) Open man.
2. Why does Sulla leave Rome for a month?
(a) He takes his stepmother away for a holiday.
(b) He needs to offer citizenship to all Italians.
(c) He has been contracted to assassinate Jugurtha.
(d) He is tired of fighting with his stepmother's nephew.
3. How is Clitumna killed?
(a) She is poisoned.
(b) She commits suicide.
(c) She is stabbed.
(d) Her neck is broken.
4. How do the senators respond to Marius's speech?
(a) They ignore him.
(b) They ask him to clarify his plans.
(c) They argue with him vehemently.
(d) They threaten to impeach him.
5. What does Marius do with those that surrendered when he took over the castle?
(a) He drafts them into his army.
(b) He gives them amnesty.
(c) He tortures them for their secrets.
(d) He has them killed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who lets Marius know of the news of what has been happening in Rome?
2. Why did Marius stay up all night the night before his inauguration day?
3. What ambition has Sulla lost?
4. Why does Marius want to return to Rome?
5. What is another name for the pletariat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Marius and Rufus do because of their frustrations with Metellus's mishandling of the war in Africa?
2. How did Sulla find out that the mushroom Nicopolis was picking was poisonous and what did he do about it?
3. What does Gaius Caesar inform Sulla about Clitumna after her death?
4. What happens when Jugurtha finds out who has betrayed him?
5. What must Marius do in order to marry one of Caesar's daughters?
6. How did Marius serve the army and what was the outcome of his service?
7. What does Caesar ask Marius when he invites him over for dinner?
8. From who does the Julian clan claim to be descended from and what does this give them in society?
9. Who had prepared Nicopolis's will and what were the terms of the will?
10. When Metellus finally releases Marius from his African service what does he believe will happen and w hat does actually happen?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)