|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened right after Metellus brought his troops home from Africa?
(a) They were ambushed and many lives were lost.
(b) They needed to defend Rome from the Germans.
(c) They were sent to Germany.
(d) They were sent back to Africa.
2. How does Sulla fill his days?
(a) Drinking and sex.
(b) Taking care of his sick mother.
(c) Learning a trade.
(d) Governmental politics.
3. How much time has passed from the end of chapter one to the beginning of chapter two?
(a) One week.
(b) One day.
(c) One year.
(d) One month.
4. On which holiday does this novel begin?
(c) New Year's Day.
5. Why won't Jugurtha make Bomilcar the regent of the kingdom?
(a) Because he doesn't have royal blood.
(b) Because Bomilcar does not follow orders.
(c) Because he is too important as an advisor.
(d) Because Bomilcar betrayed him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Gauda?
2. What happens to Jugurtha after he has the traitor killed?
3. Which of the following is the best definition of the phrase "The First Man in Rome?"
4. What does Metellus claim to get Rufus and Marius to join him on the expedition to remove Jugurtha?
5. Why does Metellus refuse Marius's request?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Metellus finally releases Marius from his African service what does he believe will happen and w hat does actually happen?
2. What does Caesar confide to Marius privately about Sulla and how does Marius react?
3. What is Sulla's heritage and how does he currently live?
4. Why is Jugurtha currently in Rome?
5. What attitude has Julilla adopted about Marius?
6. Why does Marius want to return to Rome and what does Metellus do about his request?
7. Why was Julilla starving herself and what was the response to this action?
8. How did Sulla find out that the mushroom Nicopolis was picking was poisonous and what did he do about it?
9. Why is Bomilcar unhappy with Jugurtha?
10. What changes does Marius make to the legions he takes with him back to Africa?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)