|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marius plan to bypass to have Metellus deposed as leader of the army in Africa?
2. What would the pletariat be able to get for enlisting?
3. Which word was used to describe the three army friends?
4. What happened right after Metellus brought his troops home from Africa?
(a) They were sent back to Africa.
(b) They needed to defend Rome from the Germans.
(c) They were ambushed and many lives were lost.
(d) They were sent to Germany.
5. Why did Marius propose the bill into the plebeian?
(a) To ensure its success.
(b) To gain the senators approval.
(c) It is the law-making house.
(d) It is a mandatory step.
6. What does Martha say Marius will do seven times?
(a) Leader of the troops.
(b) Have children.
(c) First Man in Rome and Consul.
7. In what year does this novel begin?
(a) 212 A.D.
(b) 150 A.D.
(c) 500 B.C.
(d) 110 B.C.
8. How does Marius begin his speech to the senators?
(a) By praising their efforts.
(b) By telling them that he expects to learn a great deal from them both.
(c) By recounting the losses of the army.
(d) By criticizing the way they have run the senate in the past.
9. What does Metellus claim to get Rufus and Marius to join him on the expedition to remove Jugurtha?
(a) They will be able to find great wealth.
(b) He will be able to ensure a higher place for them on the consul.
(c) That he has forgotten the harassment they did to him in the past.
(d) They can protect their friend, Jugurtha as part of a secret mission.
10. Why does Marius decide to marry this new girl?
(a) To stop an assassination attempt.
(b) To be connected to an important family.
(c) To prevent a senate overthrow.
(d) To meet his own personal needs.
11. What does Jugurtha want his half-brother to find for him?
(a) A wife.
(b) An assassin.
(c) A place to hide.
(d) A member of the senate who can be bribed.
12. After the two deaths, what has Sulla qualified for?
(a) A consul position.
(b) A senate seat.
(c) A knighthood.
(d) An army leadership position.
13. What status might have affected Marius's ability to be elected consul?
(a) Open man.
(b) One man.
(c) New man.
(d) Defined man.
14. What does Sulla tell Clitumna to do in eight days?
(a) Invite Atlas to a party.
(b) Sneak away and wait for him in the woods.
(c) Watch Julilia carefully and ensure she eats.
(d) Meet him in Africa.
15. What happens to the second child Marius and Julia have?
(a) He goes to live with his aunt.
(b) He is kidnapped.
(c) He is stolen.
(d) He dies shortly after birth.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the senators respond to Marius's speech?
2. Why were Cassius's troops defeated?
3. Why is the king of Numidia, Jugurtha in the city?
4. Where is Marius as chapter three opens?
5. What has to happen before Marius can marry?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)