|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do so many senators show up at the meeting Marius calls?
(a) They want to keep an eye on him.
(b) They want to welcome him.
(c) They want to remove him from power.
(d) They want to undermine his authority.
2. Why do many of the Roman citizens fear an invasion?
(a) They remember a previous invasion.
(b) They have heard that the Germans are relentless.
(c) They know the protection forces are not in Rome.
(d) They do not trust the new consul members.
3. What was Caesar appointed?
(b) Army captain.
4. What does Marius do as he travels throughout Africa?
(a) He plots to kill Metellus.
(b) He searches for ways to help Gauda.
(c) He looks for Jugurtha.
(d) He promotes his letter writing campaign against Metellus.
5. Which of the Roman senators is particularly wary of Jugurtha?
6. What does Marius claim he does not need with his new bill proposal?
(a) Senate approval.
(c) The plebeian approval.
(d) Majority approval.
7. How much time has passed from the end of chapter one to the beginning of chapter two?
(a) One week.
(b) One month.
(c) One year.
(d) One day.
8. What happens at the party between Sulla and Hercules?
(a) Sulla takes him aside and gets him drunk so that he destroys the party.
(b) Sulla convinces him to seek out Clitumna and kill her.
(c) Sulla confronts him and Hercules drags him back to his home.
(d) Sulla attacks and kills Hercules.
9. What is Marius's current position in the army?
(a) Leader of a legion.
(b) Spy searching for Jugurtha.
(c) Troop commander.
(d) Aide to Metellus's young son.
10. What does Nicopolis find on her picnic with Sulla?
(a) A fountain.
(d) Salad greens.
11. How does Sulla fill his days?
(a) Drinking and sex.
(b) Taking care of his sick mother.
(c) Learning a trade.
(d) Governmental politics.
12. After the two deaths, what has Sulla qualified for?
(a) A senate seat.
(b) A consul position.
(c) A knighthood.
(d) An army leadership position.
13. Which of the following is now an important senator?
14. Why is Gaius Julius Caesar concerned about his daughter giving birth?
(a) He believes her noble blood will cause complications.
(b) He believes there is a plot against her.
(c) He is afraid the child does not belong to her husband.
(d) He suspects that Marius is treating her unfairly.
15. Why does Marius decide to marry this new girl?
(a) To be connected to an important family.
(b) To meet his own personal needs.
(c) To prevent a senate overthrow.
(d) To stop an assassination attempt.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom is Gauda unhappy?
2. Where is Marius as chapter three opens?
3. What happens to the second child Marius and Julia have?
4. Which of the following is the best definition of the phrase "The First Man in Rome?"
5. Why was Julilia starving herself?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)