|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the king of Numidia, Jugurtha in the city?
(a) He wants to buy some goods.
(b) He wants to meet the new senators.
(c) He wants to witness the ceremony.
(d) He wants to buy votes.
2. What does Marius want to happen?
(a) He wants to marry a rich woman.
(b) He wants to become consul.
(c) He wants to hold a new election.
(d) He wants to be respected.
3. How do the senators respond to Marius's speech?
(a) They threaten to impeach him.
(b) They argue with him vehemently.
(c) They ignore him.
(d) They ask him to clarify his plans.
4. Which group of characters became friends in the army?
(a) Marius, Jugurtha, Rufus.
(b) Marius, Metellus, Sullus.
(c) Marius, Jugurtha, Sullus.
(d) Rufus, Sullus, Metellus.
5. Who did the Senate decide to try for treason?
6. What status might have affected Marius's ability to be elected consul?
(a) One man.
(b) Defined man.
(c) Open man.
(d) New man.
7. How does Marius feel when he leaves the senators?
8. How do Rufus and Marius feel about the way Metellus is handling the war?
(a) They are surprised.
(b) They are impressed.
(c) They are frustrated.
(d) They are disgusted.
9. Where is Marius inducted into the consulship?
(a) Floor of the Roman Senate.
(b) Battlefield in Africa.
(c) Temple of Jupiter.
(d) In the center of Rome.
10. How does Sulla fill his days?
(a) Governmental politics.
(b) Taking care of his sick mother.
(c) Drinking and sex.
(d) Learning a trade.
11. In what year does this novel begin?
(a) 150 A.D.
(b) 110 B.C.
(c) 500 B.C.
(d) 212 A.D.
12. What does Nicopolis die from?
(a) Kidney failure.
(c) Heart failure.
13. What was Metellus implicated in?
(a) Treason of an Italian ally.
(b) A plot to kill Jugurtha.
(c) Befriending the enemy.
(d) Being inept as a commander.
14. Why does Marius decide to marry this new girl?
(a) To stop an assassination attempt.
(b) To meet his own personal needs.
(c) To be connected to an important family.
(d) To prevent a senate overthrow.
15. What complications does Julia experience as she gives birth?
(a) She becomes unconscious.
(b) The baby is born dead.
(c) A great deal of bleeding.
(d) She dies during childbirth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of family is Marius's?
2. How many legions of new soldiers does Marius hope to raise?
3. What does Metellus claim to get Rufus and Marius to join him on the expedition to remove Jugurtha?
4. How does Marius begin his speech to the senators?
5. How are Marius and Gaius Julius Caesar related?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)