|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which group of characters became friends in the army?
(a) Rufus, Sullus, Metellus.
(b) Marius, Jugurtha, Sullus.
(c) Marius, Jugurtha, Rufus.
(d) Marius, Metellus, Sullus.
2. Why does Sulla leave Rome for a month?
(a) He takes his stepmother away for a holiday.
(b) He needs to offer citizenship to all Italians.
(c) He is tired of fighting with his stepmother's nephew.
(d) He has been contracted to assassinate Jugurtha.
3. What kills Stichus?
(a) He was stabbed.
(b) He is hung as a traitor.
(c) He was poisoned.
(d) He died of natural causes.
4. Why does Marius want to return to Rome?
(a) To help defend Rome against the Germans.
(b) To visit his son and wife.
(c) To further undermine Metellus.
(d) To stand for election.
5. What does Marius hope his campaign will do?
(a) End the war in Africa.
(b) Save his wife and son.
(c) Get him elected.
(d) Expose Metellus's incompetence.
6. What was Caesar appointed?
(c) Army captain.
7. What does Jugurtha want his half-brother to find for him?
(a) A member of the senate who can be bribed.
(b) A wife.
(c) An assassin.
(d) A place to hide.
8. Why is the king of Numidia, Jugurtha in the city?
(a) He wants to meet the new senators.
(b) He wants to buy some goods.
(c) He wants to witness the ceremony.
(d) He wants to buy votes.
9. What military campaign is the new counsel planning on beginning?
(a) To trap their enemies outside of the city.
(b) To assassinate another senator.
(c) To remove Jugurtha from the throne.
(d) To take over more lands.
10. What type of family is Marius's?
11. What has happened to Metellus's credibility in Rome?
(a) It has been undermined.
(b) It has been exaggerated.
(c) It has been restored.
(d) It has been relieved.
12. What request does Marius make of Metellus?
(a) To all Jugurtha to remain the king.
(b) To resign as consul.
(c) To let him be in charge of the battle.
(d) To allow him to return to Rome.
13. How does Jugurtha find out who the traitor is?
(a) He sends a message to Marius.
(b) He tortures a man.
(c) Metellus lets this information slip out.
(d) Rufus warns him.
14. How do the senators respond to Marius's speech?
(a) They argue with him vehemently.
(b) They ignore him.
(c) They threaten to impeach him.
(d) They ask him to clarify his plans.
15. On which holiday does this novel begin?
(d) New Year's Day.
Short Answer Questions
1. How doe the senators feel about the bill Marius has proposed?
2. Where do Metellus, Rufus and Marius travel?
3. Who is Gauda?
4. How many Roman soldiers does Marius share have been killed over the past fifteen years?
5. Why does Metellus refuse Marius's request?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)