|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many legions of new soldiers does Marius hope to raise?
2. What does Nicopolis find on her picnic with Sulla?
(c) A fountain.
(d) Salad greens.
3. Why does Sulla leave Rome for a month?
(a) He is tired of fighting with his stepmother's nephew.
(b) He has been contracted to assassinate Jugurtha.
(c) He takes his stepmother away for a holiday.
(d) He needs to offer citizenship to all Italians.
4. What does Marius do with those that surrendered when he took over the castle?
(a) He tortures them for their secrets.
(b) He drafts them into his army.
(c) He has them killed.
(d) He gives them amnesty.
5. How does Sulla ensure Hercules will not tell his part in the deception?
(a) He throws him off of a cliff.
(b) He threatens him.
(c) He poisons him.
(d) He stabs him.
6. What happened right after Metellus brought his troops home from Africa?
(a) They were ambushed and many lives were lost.
(b) They needed to defend Rome from the Germans.
(c) They were sent back to Africa.
(d) They were sent to Germany.
7. What does Marius want to happen?
(a) He wants to hold a new election.
(b) He wants to marry a rich woman.
(c) He wants to be respected.
(d) He wants to become consul.
8. Why do many of the senators automatically not like Marius?
(a) They do not trust his family.
(b) They do not accept the results of the election.
(c) They don't like a New Man being in this position.
(d) They do not approve of his treatment of Metellus.
9. What has to happen before Marius can marry?
(a) He must prevent Jugurtha from taking reign.
(b) He must divorce his current wife.
(c) He must be elected to the senate.
(d) He must apologize to Metellus.
10. Why did Marius stay up all night the night before his inauguration day?
(a) To draft a law he plans to pass without Senator's knowledge.
(b) To ensure there were no bad omens.
(c) To write out his inauguration speech.
(d) To protect his family from troublemakers.
11. How long before the election does Metellus release Marius?
(a) 12 days.
(b) 2 days.
(c) 5 days.
(d) 20 days.
12. What does Marius do as he travels throughout Africa?
(a) He promotes his letter writing campaign against Metellus.
(b) He plots to kill Metellus.
(c) He looks for Jugurtha.
(d) He searches for ways to help Gauda.
13. Which of the following is now an important senator?
14. How does Marius begin his speech to the senators?
(a) By criticizing the way they have run the senate in the past.
(b) By praising their efforts.
(c) By recounting the losses of the army.
(d) By telling them that he expects to learn a great deal from them both.
15. What kind of campaign does Marius get started?
(d) Letter writing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Marius inducted into the consulship?
2. Why does Marius decide to marry this new girl?
3. What happens at the party between Sulla and Hercules?
4. Which of the following is the best definition of the phrase "The First Man in Rome?"
5. What does Metellus claim to get Rufus and Marius to join him on the expedition to remove Jugurtha?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)