|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Vladimir's mother learn of the affair?
2. What ailment is Vladimir suffering from at the start of Chapter 18?
3. Whose words of wisdom about sacrifice does Vladimir recall in Chapter 20?
4. What does the young cadet make with Vladimir's knife?
5. Who does Zinaida invite to go riding with her in Chapter 13?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Symbolism is prevalent in Turgenev's story. Choose three times where Turgenev uses symbolism. Define symbolism and discuss how each item or event fits the definition of symbolic.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Vladimir's relationship with Zinaida. How does the relationship change from beginning to end. How do each of the characters change because of this relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting of Turgenev's book and how it is important to the plot of the story.
This section contains 175 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)