|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sulks in the corner when he visits the lodge?
2. Which Shakespearean character is Vladimir compared to in Chapter 17?
3. Which of Zinaida's suitors disappears?
4. Who discovers Vladimir keeping a close eye on Zinaida?
5. What is Byelovzorov unable to find for Zinaida in Chapter 13?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Which character is the voice of Turgenev's story. Why did Turgenev elect to tell the story in this character's voice? How would the story be different if it was told in other characters voice? Be sure to provide the definition of voice in your essay.
Essay Topic 2Zinaida suggests a poetry topic to her suitors one night. Analyze the symbolism in Zinaida's suggestion. What does it suggest about her life?
Essay Topic 3Argue what you believe to be the climax of Turgenev's book. State specific examples from the book to make your argument.
This section contains 173 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)