|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 17 what does Vladimir carry in his pocket?
2. Who does Zinaida invite to go riding with her in Chapter 13?
3. Whose words of wisdom about sacrifice does Vladimir recall in Chapter 20?
4. Who did Vladimir's father have an affair with?
5. In Chapter 17, what does Vladimir see when he looks at Zinaida's window?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the central conflict of Turgenev's book and how does he support this conflict throughout the story? Choose three examples from the text and discuss how these examples demonstrate the conflict of the story.
Essay Topic 2
Zinaida suggests a poetry topic to her suitors one night. Analyze the symbolism in Zinaida's suggestion. What does it suggest about her life?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationship between Vladimir and Dr. Looshin. What advice does Dr. Looshin give to Vladimir. Argue for or against that Dr. Looshin acts as a father figure to Vladimir.
This section contains 194 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)