|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Zinaida give Vladimir after he makes his promise?
2. What does Vladimir accuse Zinaida of in Chapter 18?
3. How does Zinaida admit to loving Vladimir?
4. Who has Vladimir not seen at the start of Chapter 15?
5. Where does Vladimir find his father after he sees Zinaida on the horse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the lesson that Turgenev is trying to teach the reader? Why is it significant that Zinaida is married at the end of the book to another man? What does this suggest about love?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the love triangle between Vladimir, his father and Zinaida. What does each person seek emotionally from the relationship? What do they receive from the relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Symbolism is prevalent in Turgenev's story. Choose three times where Turgenev uses symbolism. Define symbolism and discuss how each item or event fits the definition of symbolic.
This section contains 214 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)