|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, what does the man in the garden tease Vladimir about?
2. Why does Zinaida say she will never love Count Malevsky?
3. How does M. Petrovich greet Zinaida when he meets her the first time?
4. What does Princess Zasyekin beg Mme. Petrovich for in Chapter 3 ?
5. What does Vladimir watch from his window at the end of Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Vladimir's mother's impression of Princess Zasyekin?
2. What is the nickname that Zinaida gives Vladimir?
3. What are Vladimir's walks in the garden like?
4. Describe the story Zinaida tells her guests in Chapter 16.
5. What advice does Vladimir's father give him while they walk through the garden?
6. Describe Vladimir's parents as described in Chapter 1.
7. Describe Zinaida and Vladimir's farewell.
8. Why does Zinaida stop receiving guests in Chapter 15?
9. What is Vladimir's reaction in Chapter 17 to what he sees in the garden?
10. Describe Princess Zasyekin. What does she want from Vladimir's family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the character of Vladimir's father. Describe him in relation to Vladimir. How do the two characters relate to each other? Is one character needed to have a deeper appreciation of the other? Choose one other character Vladimir's father interacts with and explain how he influences that character.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Ivan Sergeevich Turgenev's biographical information and discuss how it relates to his construction of the book "First Love." What elements of his life does the author incorporate into his book?
Essay Topic 3
Argue what you believe to be the climax of Turgenev's book. State specific examples from the book to make your argument.
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)