Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the start of Chapter 4 where does Vonifaty lead Vladimir?
2. When Vladimir runs from the garden in Chapter 2, where does he run to?
3. What did M. Petrovich hear about Zinaida?
4. What nickname does Zinaida call Vladimir throughout the book?
5. Where is the second lodge located?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Vladimir see when he spies on Zinaida in the garden in Chapter 17?
2. What information is in the anonymous letter Vladimir's mother receives? Who do you think sent the letter?
3. Who does Zinaida say will get her a horse and why does this shock Vladimir?
4. How does Zinaida want Vladimir to prove his love to her? What is her response?
5. Who gives Zinaida a kitten and why does he give her that gift?
6. How does Zinaida treat her suitors in the garden?
7. How does Byelovzorov act at Zinaida's party? What is her reaction to him?
8. What is Vladimir's emotional state at the end of Chapter 7?
9. Describe the poem that Vladimir writes for Zinaida.
10. At the end of Chapter 16, why can't Vladimir sleep?
Essay Topic 1
What is the theme of Turgenev's book? Provide the definition of theme and how Turgenev supports this theme throughout the book. Cite specific examples from the book to prove its overall theme.
Essay Topic 2
Argue what you believe to be the climax of Turgenev's book. State specific examples from the book to make your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Symbolism is prevalent in Turgenev's story. Choose three times where Turgenev uses symbolism. Define symbolism and discuss how each item or event fits the definition of symbolic.
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)