|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the girl in the garden react to Vladimir?
2. What does Vladimir shoot on his walks?
3. What does Byelovzorov ask for in exchange for his gift to Zinaida?
4. In Chapter 4, at what time does Princess Zasyekin say she will meet Mme. Petrovich?
5. Who preforms card tricks at the party at the lodge?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the fight between Vladirmir's mother and father in Chapter 20. What was the cause of the fight? What was the result of the fight?
2. On what subject would Zinaida write poetry about? What is Maidanov's response?
3. Why does Zinaida call Vladimir to the garden in Chapter 15?
4. Describe the poem that Vladimir writes for Zinaida.
5. Describe Princess Zasyekin's husband.
6. How does Zinaida treat her suitors in the garden?
7. What does Princess Zasyekin want Zinaida to stop drinking? What is Dr. Looshin's response?
8. Who gives Zinaida a kitten and why does he give her that gift?
9. What work does Vladimir do for Princess Zasyekin at the end of Chapter 8?
10. What is Forfeits?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One night in the lodge, Zinaida suggests that everyone should make up a story. Describe Zinaida's story and each suitors' reaction to it. What is relevant about her story and her suitors' reactions to it.
Essay Topic 2
Argue what you believe to be the climax of Turgenev's book. State specific examples from the book to make your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the love triangle between Vladimir, his father and Zinaida. What does each person seek emotionally from the relationship? What do they receive from the relationship?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)