|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 3, what is Princess Zasyekin involved in?
2. How many men are at Zinaida's party when Vladimir arrives?
3. What does Vladimir watch from his window at the end of Chapter 7?
4. How does Vladimir feel before dinner with Princess Zasyekin?
5. Why does Zinaida like Count Malevsky?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Byelovzorov act at Zinaida's party? What is her reaction to him?
2. Why does Zinaida call Vladimir to the garden in Chapter 15?
3. Describe the fight between Vladirmir's mother and father in Chapter 20. What was the cause of the fight? What was the result of the fight?
4. Why does Zinaida like Count Malevsky? Does she love him? Why or why not?
5. What does Vladimir realize at the end of Chapter 9? How does he come to this realization?
6. Why does Count Malevsky think Vladimir is a "bad page"?
7. Describe Vladimir's father's mood when he asks Vladimir to go for a ride.
8. Describe the poem that Vladimir writes for Zinaida.
9. Describe Zinaida and Vladimir's farewell.
10. What is Princess Zasyekin's reaction to Vladimir's family leaving? What does Vladimir's mother tell her the reason is?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the character of Vladimir's father. Describe him in relation to Vladimir. How do the two characters relate to each other? Is one character needed to have a deeper appreciation of the other? Choose one other character Vladimir's father interacts with and explain how he influences that character.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of poetry in Turgenev's book. How does Turgenev use poetry in his book? What is Turgenev's history with poetry. Discuss one time in the book that poetry plays a significant role in the story and why.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the love triangle between Vladimir, his father and Zinaida. What does each person seek emotionally from the relationship? What do they receive from the relationship?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)