|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 7, whose image is in Vladimir's mind as he sleeps?
2. What does Vladimir watch from his window at the end of Chapter 7?
3. What does Zinaida learn in Chapter 9?
4. Who does Mme. Petrovich send to speak with Princess Zasyekin in Chapter 3?
5. What does Princess Zasyekin thank M. Petrovich for after dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Vladimir is asked to tell his story? Why?
2. What happens during Vladimir's father's first meeting with Zinaida? What is Vladimir's reaction?
3. Describe one guest's reaction to Zinaida's story in Chapter 16.
4. How does Zinaida treat her suitors in the garden?
5. What does Vladimir see when he spies on Zinaida in the garden in Chapter 17?
6. What is Vladimir's emotional state at the end of Chapter 7?
7. How does Zinaida treat Vladimir in Chapter 9?
8. Describe Zinaida's behavior during dinner at Vladimir's home.
9. On what subject would Zinaida write poetry about? What is Maidanov's response?
10. Describe Vladimir's parents as described in Chapter 1.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the central conflict of Turgenev's book and how does he support this conflict throughout the story? Choose three examples from the text and discuss how these examples demonstrate the conflict of the story.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Ivan Sergeevich Turgenev's biographical information and discuss how it relates to his construction of the book "First Love." What elements of his life does the author incorporate into his book?
Essay Topic 3
What is the theme of Turgenev's book? Provide the definition of theme and how Turgenev supports this theme throughout the book. Cite specific examples from the book to prove its overall theme.
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)