|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vladimir's mother force him to wear to dinner with Princess Zasyekin and Zinaida?
2. At what time does Zinaida tell Vladimir to meet her the next evening?
3. What does Mme. Petrovich wish Vladimir would focus on?
4. What appears in the window of the second lodge?
5. Who does Mme. Petrovich send to speak with Princess Zasyekin in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe one guest's reaction to Zinaida's story in Chapter 16.
2. Why does Zinaida like Count Malevsky? Does she love him? Why or why not?
3. How does Zinaida want Vladimir to prove his love to her? What is her response?
4. What is the game analogies? Whose analogy wins in Chapter 11?
5. Describe Zinaida's behavior during dinner at Vladimir's home.
6. What work does Vladimir do for Princess Zasyekin at the end of Chapter 8?
7. How does having so many suitors effect Zinaida?
8. How does Count Malevsky trick Vladimir into spying on Zinaida?
9. Describe Vladimir's interaction with the young cadet and Zinaida.
10. What does Vladimir see when he spies on Zinaida in the garden in Chapter 17?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the theme of Turgenev's book? Provide the definition of theme and how Turgenev supports this theme throughout the book. Cite specific examples from the book to prove its overall theme.
Essay Topic 2
How does Turgenev use this book to demonstrate his opinions on love, life and relationships? Site specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Symbolism is prevalent in Turgenev's story. Choose three times where Turgenev uses symbolism. Define symbolism and discuss how each item or event fits the definition of symbolic.
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)