|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vladimir help Zinaida do at her house?
2. Where does Zinaida invite Vladimir at the end of Chapter 9?
3. In Chapter 2, what does the man in the garden tease Vladimir about?
4. Where is the second lodge located?
5. Why does Zinaida say she will never love Count Malevsky?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the prologue, what does the host want to guests to discuss? Describe Nicolayevich's story.
2. What work does Vladimir do for Princess Zasyekin at the end of Chapter 8?
3. What are Vladimir's walks in the garden like?
4. Why does Zinaida like Count Malevsky? Does she love him? Why or why not?
5. What message does Vladimir deliver to Princess Zasyeki? What is her response?
6. Describe the conversation that Zinaida and Vladimir have while winding wool.
7. What is the game analogies? Whose analogy wins in Chapter 11?
8. Describe Zinaida and Vladimir's farewell.
9. Who gives Zinaida a kitten and why does he give her that gift?
10. What does Vladimir see when he spies on Zinaida in the garden in Chapter 17?
Essay Topic 1
What is the lesson that Turgenev is trying to teach the reader? Why is it significant that Zinaida is married at the end of the book to another man? What does this suggest about love?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Vladimir's relationship with Zinaida. How does the relationship change from beginning to end. How do each of the characters change because of this relationship?
Essay Topic 3
What is the central conflict of Turgenev's book and how does he support this conflict throughout the story? Choose three examples from the text and discuss how these examples demonstrate the conflict of the story.
This section contains 1,062 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)