|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Princess Zasyekin beg Mme. Petrovich for in Chapter 3 ?
2. In Chapter 7, what does Zinaida instruct Count Malevsky to do for Vladimir?
3. In what month do the shutters of the second lodge open?
4. Why does Mme. Petrovich believe the Princess is poor?
5. What does Vladimir watch from his window at the end of Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Vladimir's mother's impression of Princess Zasyekin?
2. Why does Zinaida like Count Malevsky? Does she love him? Why or why not?
3. How does Count Malevsky trick Vladimir into spying on Zinaida?
4. At the end of Chapter 16, why can't Vladimir sleep?
5. Describe Zinaida and Vladimir's farewell.
6. What does Princess Zasyekin want Zinaida to stop drinking? What is Dr. Looshin's response?
7. In Chapter 15, what is Vladimir's opinion of Dr. Looshin? What revelation does Dr. Looshin have?
8. Describe one guest's reaction to Zinaida's story in Chapter 16.
9. In Chapter 2, what is the woman Vladimir encounters in the garden like?
10. Describe Vladimir's parents as described in Chapter 1.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe briefly, the history of Russian princesses. Does Princess Zasyekin fit this description? Why or why not? Why is Princess Zasyekin an important character in Turgenev's book?
Essay Topic 2
What is the lesson that Turgenev is trying to teach the reader? Why is it significant that Zinaida is married at the end of the book to another man? What does this suggest about love?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationship between Vladimir and Dr. Looshin. What advice does Dr. Looshin give to Vladimir. Argue for or against that Dr. Looshin acts as a father figure to Vladimir.
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)