|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vladimir's father do to him that almost makes him cry?
2. Who restrained Vladimir's mother from fetching Vladimir from the party?
3. Why does Mme. Petrovich scold Vladimir when he returns home from Princess Zasyekin's house?
4. How does M. Petrovich greet Zinaida when he meets her the first time?
5. Who does Mme. Petrovich send to speak with Princess Zasyekin in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Zinaida stop receiving guests in Chapter 15?
2. Why does Count Malevsky think Vladimir is a "bad page"?
3. In Chapter 15, what is Vladimir's opinion of Dr. Looshin? What revelation does Dr. Looshin have?
4. At the start of Chapter 7, Vladimir walks into a party at Zinaida's house. What does he see when he first arrives?
5. How does Zinaida want Vladimir to prove his love to her? What is her response?
6. Describe Princess Zasyekin's husband.
7. What advice does Dr. Looshin give to Vladimir in Chapter 20?
8. How does Zinaida treat Vladimir in Chapter 9?
9. What is Vladimir's reaction in Chapter 17 to what he sees in the garden?
10. In Chapter 16, what does Zinaida suggest everyone share with each other in the lodge? What do they end up sharing instead?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship between Vladimir and Dr. Looshin. What advice does Dr. Looshin give to Vladimir. Argue for or against that Dr. Looshin acts as a father figure to Vladimir.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of poetry in Turgenev's book. How does Turgenev use poetry in his book? What is Turgenev's history with poetry. Discuss one time in the book that poetry plays a significant role in the story and why.
Essay Topic 3
What is the theme of Turgenev's book? Provide the definition of theme and how Turgenev supports this theme throughout the book. Cite specific examples from the book to prove its overall theme.
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)