|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the girl do to the people she is speaking to in the garden?
2. How does Vladimir feel before dinner with Princess Zasyekin?
3. In Chapter 7, what does Zinaida instruct Count Malevsky to do for Vladimir?
4. How does Vladimir's father treat him?
5. What does Byelovzorov claim Zinaida's word is in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Vladimir see when he spies on Zinaida in the garden in Chapter 17?
2. What advice does Dr. Looshin give to Vladimir in Chapter 20?
3. What is the nickname that Zinaida gives Vladimir?
4. Describe the fight between Vladirmir's mother and father in Chapter 20. What was the cause of the fight? What was the result of the fight?
5. What does Vladimir realize at the end of Chapter 9? How does he come to this realization?
6. What does Vladimir accuse Zinaida of in Chapter 18? What is Zinaida's reaction?
7. Describe what you learn about Vladimir's relationship with his father in Chapter 8.
8. At the start of Chapter 7, Vladimir walks into a party at Zinaida's house. What does he see when he first arrives?
9. Describe Princess Zasyekin's husband.
10. On what subject would Zinaida write poetry about? What is Maidanov's response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe briefly, the history of Russian princesses. Does Princess Zasyekin fit this description? Why or why not? Why is Princess Zasyekin an important character in Turgenev's book?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of poetry in Turgenev's book. How does Turgenev use poetry in his book? What is Turgenev's history with poetry. Discuss one time in the book that poetry plays a significant role in the story and why.
Essay Topic 3
Define the word protagonist and supply the protagonist(s) for Turgenev's book . Describe the protagonist and how he or she fits the definition of the word.
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)