|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 7, what game is being played at the party when Vladimir arrives?
2. What did M. Petrovich hear about Zinaida?
3. At what time does Zinaida tell Vladimir to meet her the next evening?
4. Who does Vladimir follow home in Chapter 4?
5. How does the girl in the garden react to Vladimir?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the fight between Vladirmir's mother and father in Chapter 20. What was the cause of the fight? What was the result of the fight?
2. Describe the story Zinaida tells her guests in Chapter 16.
3. What message does Vladimir deliver to Princess Zasyeki? What is her response?
4. What does Vladimir see when he spies on Zinaida in the garden in Chapter 17?
5. How does Byelovzorov act at Zinaida's party? What is her reaction to him?
6. Why does Zinaida call Vladimir to the garden in Chapter 15?
7. In the prologue, what does the host want to guests to discuss? Describe Nicolayevich's story.
8. What information is in the anonymous letter Vladimir's mother receives? Who do you think sent the letter?
9. Describe Vladimir's parents as described in Chapter 1.
10. Describe Princess Zasyekin. What does she want from Vladimir's family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Turgenev use this book to demonstrate his opinions on love, life and relationships? Site specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
One night in the lodge, Zinaida suggests that everyone should make up a story. Describe Zinaida's story and each suitors' reaction to it. What is relevant about her story and her suitors' reactions to it.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting of Turgenev's book and how it is important to the plot of the story.
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)