|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vladimir's father do to him that almost makes him cry?
2. At the start of Chapter 4 where does Vonifaty lead Vladimir?
3. How many men are at Zinaida's party when Vladimir arrives?
4. What does Zinaida learn in Chapter 9?
5. What does Mme. Petrovich hope Princess Zasyekin doesn't want?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Zinaida say will get her a horse and why does this shock Vladimir?
2. Describe the poem that Vladimir writes for Zinaida.
3. What is the game analogies? Whose analogy wins in Chapter 11?
4. How does Zinaida love Vladimir?
5. What advice does Dr. Looshin give to Vladimir in Chapter 20?
6. In Chapter 15, what is Vladimir's opinion of Dr. Looshin? What revelation does Dr. Looshin have?
7. Why does Zinaida stop receiving guests in Chapter 15?
8. What is Vladimir's emotional state at the end of Chapter 7?
9. Describe Zinaida and Vladimir's farewell.
10. Describe one guest's reaction to Zinaida's story in Chapter 16.
Essay Topic 1
Symbolism is prevalent in Turgenev's story. Choose three times where Turgenev uses symbolism. Define symbolism and discuss how each item or event fits the definition of symbolic.
Essay Topic 2
How does Turgenev use this book to demonstrate his opinions on love, life and relationships? Site specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
One night in the lodge, Zinaida suggests that everyone should make up a story. Describe Zinaida's story and each suitors' reaction to it. What is relevant about her story and her suitors' reactions to it.
This section contains 1,056 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)