|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Princess Zasyekin's husband like?
2. How old is Vladimir's father?
3. What does Vladimir realize at the end of Chapter 9?
4. How does the girl in the garden react to Vladimir?
5. Vladimir ask his father to join him at what after their walk?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Vladimir see riding together at the end of Chapter 14? Why is this significant?
2. Describe the story Zinaida tells her guests in Chapter 16.
3. Why does Count Malevsky think Vladimir is a "bad page"?
4. What happens during Vladimir's father's first meeting with Zinaida? What is Vladimir's reaction?
5. What work does Vladimir do for Princess Zasyekin at the end of Chapter 8?
6. What advice does Dr. Looshin give to Vladimir in Chapter 20?
7. What is Forfeits?
8. Describe Zinaida's behavior during dinner at Vladimir's home.
9. At the end of Chapter 16, why can't Vladimir sleep?
10. How does having so many suitors effect Zinaida?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of poetry in Turgenev's book. How does Turgenev use poetry in his book? What is Turgenev's history with poetry. Discuss one time in the book that poetry plays a significant role in the story and why.
Essay Topic 2
Symbolism is prevalent in Turgenev's story. Choose three times where Turgenev uses symbolism. Define symbolism and discuss how each item or event fits the definition of symbolic.
Essay Topic 3
Argue what you believe to be the climax of Turgenev's book. State specific examples from the book to make your argument.
This section contains 1,063 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)