|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sits in the corner during the party in Chapter 7?
2. Who preforms card tricks at the party at the lodge?
3. How much does Byelovzorov offer to pay Vladimir for his ticket?
4. Who does Mme. Petrovich ask for information about the new neighbor?
5. What does Zinaida ask Vladimir to read to her in the garden?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Vladimir catches his father doing during the horseback ride in Chapter 21.
2. Describe one guest's reaction to Zinaida's story in Chapter 16.
3. In the prologue, what does the host want to guests to discuss? Describe Nicolayevich's story.
4. What advice does Dr. Looshin give to Vladimir in Chapter 20?
5. At the end of Chapter 16, why can't Vladimir sleep?
6. What happens when Vladimir is asked to tell his story? Why?
7. Describe Vladimir's emotions at the start of Chapter 13 and why they change.
8. How does Zinaida love Vladimir?
9. How does Byelovzorov act at Zinaida's party? What is her reaction to him?
10. What are Vladimir's walks in the garden like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Argue what you believe to be the climax of Turgenev's book. State specific examples from the book to make your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Provide the definition of foreshadowing and explain how Turgenev uses this technique in his story. Provide two specific examples of foreshadowing and what events they predict.
Essay Topic 3
Which character is the voice of Turgenev's story. Why did Turgenev elect to tell the story in this character's voice? How would the story be different if it was told in other characters voice? Be sure to provide the definition of voice in your essay.
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)