|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does Byelovzorov offer to pay Vladimir for his ticket?
2. How old is Vladimir's father?
3. How does M. Petrovich greet Zinaida when he meets her the first time?
4. Who is Fyodor?
5. What gift does Byelovzorov give Zinaida in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Zinaida's behavior during dinner at Vladimir's home.
2. What is Vladimir's emotional state at the end of Chapter 7?
3. Describe Princess Zasyekin's husband.
4. Describe Vladimir's emotions at the start of Chapter 13 and why they change.
5. In Chapter 2, what is the woman Vladimir encounters in the garden like?
6. Who does Vladimir see riding together at the end of Chapter 14? Why is this significant?
7. Describe the story Zinaida tells her guests in Chapter 16.
8. Who does Zinaida say will get her a horse and why does this shock Vladimir?
9. Why does Zinaida call Vladimir to the garden in Chapter 15?
10. What does Vladimir's mother think about her sons interactions with Zinaida?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting of Turgenev's book and how it is important to the plot of the story.
Essay Topic 2
Provide the definition of foreshadowing and explain how Turgenev uses this technique in his story. Provide two specific examples of foreshadowing and what events they predict.
Essay Topic 3
Zinaida suggests a poetry topic to her suitors one night. Analyze the symbolism in Zinaida's suggestion. What does it suggest about her life?
This section contains 1,031 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)