|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what month do the shutters of the second lodge open?
2. What does Zinaida ask Vladimir when he finds her in the garden?
3. What does the girl do to the people she is speaking to in the garden?
4. What is the name of the poem Maidanov recites at the party at the lodge?
5. What does Mme. Petrovich wish Vladimir would focus on?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Count Malevsky think Vladimir is a "bad page"?
2. At the start of Chapter 7, Vladimir walks into a party at Zinaida's house. What does he see when he first arrives?
3. How does Byelovzorov act at Zinaida's party? What is her reaction to him?
4. What does Vladimir see when he spies on Zinaida in the garden in Chapter 17?
5. What advice does Dr. Looshin give to Vladimir in Chapter 20?
6. Describe Vladimir's emotions at the start of Chapter 13 and why they change.
7. Describe Zinaida and Vladimir's farewell.
8. What work does Vladimir do for Princess Zasyekin at the end of Chapter 8?
9. What does Vladimir accuse Zinaida of in Chapter 18? What is Zinaida's reaction?
10. Why does Zinaida call Vladimir to the garden in Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship between Vladimir and Dr. Looshin. What advice does Dr. Looshin give to Vladimir. Argue for or against that Dr. Looshin acts as a father figure to Vladimir.
Essay Topic 2
Zinaida suggests a poetry topic to her suitors one night. Analyze the symbolism in Zinaida's suggestion. What does it suggest about her life?
Essay Topic 3
Provide the definition of foreshadowing and explain how Turgenev uses this technique in his story. Provide two specific examples of foreshadowing and what events they predict.
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)