|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Princess Zasyekin beg Mme. Petrovich for in Chapter 3 ?
2. What is the only thing Vladimir can think of at the start of Chapter 9?
3. What does Dr. Looshin instruct Vladimir to do to Zinaida in Chapter 7?
4. How does Vladimir view his father?
5. Why does Zinaida like Count Malevsky?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Zinaida's behavior during dinner at Vladimir's home.
2. What does Vladimir realize at the end of Chapter 9? How does he come to this realization?
3. In the prologue, what does the host want to guests to discuss? Describe Nicolayevich's story.
4. What advice does Dr. Looshin give to Vladimir in Chapter 20?
5. How does Zinaida treat her suitors in the garden?
6. What does Vladimir accuse Zinaida of in Chapter 18? What is Zinaida's reaction?
7. Describe Vladimir's emotions at the start of Chapter 13 and why they change.
8. Why does Count Malevsky think Vladimir is a "bad page"?
9. Describe Princess Zasyekin. What does she want from Vladimir's family?
10. Who gives Zinaida a kitten and why does he give her that gift?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship between Vladimir and Dr. Looshin. What advice does Dr. Looshin give to Vladimir. Argue for or against that Dr. Looshin acts as a father figure to Vladimir.
Essay Topic 2
What is the theme of Turgenev's book? Provide the definition of theme and how Turgenev supports this theme throughout the book. Cite specific examples from the book to prove its overall theme.
Essay Topic 3
Argue what you believe to be the climax of Turgenev's book. State specific examples from the book to make your argument.
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)