|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Vladimir ask his father to join him at what after their walk?
2. What does the girl do to the people she is speaking to in the garden?
3. What does Zinaida learn in Chapter 9?
4. What does Byelovzorov ask for in exchange for his gift to Zinaida?
5. In Chapter 8, what does Vladimir discuss with his father in the garden?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Vladimir is asked to tell his story? Why?
2. Describe Princess Zasyekin. What does she want from Vladimir's family?
3. At the end of Chapter 16, why can't Vladimir sleep?
4. What is Vladimir's emotional state at the end of Chapter 7?
5. Describe Vladimir's character as described in Chapter 1.
6. Describe one guest's reaction to Zinaida's story in Chapter 16.
7. In Chapter 2, what is the woman Vladimir encounters in the garden like?
8. Describe the conversation that Zinaida and Vladimir have while winding wool.
9. How does having so many suitors effect Zinaida?
10. In Chapter 16, what does Zinaida suggest everyone share with each other in the lodge? What do they end up sharing instead?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the character of Vladimir's father. Describe him in relation to Vladimir. How do the two characters relate to each other? Is one character needed to have a deeper appreciation of the other? Choose one other character Vladimir's father interacts with and explain how he influences that character.
Essay Topic 2
Describe briefly, the history of Russian princesses. Does Princess Zasyekin fit this description? Why or why not? Why is Princess Zasyekin an important character in Turgenev's book?
Essay Topic 3
Zinaida's character effects the lives of several other character's in the book. Other than Vladimir, choose two characters who life she effects and how. Provide detailed examples from the book.
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)