|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 8, what does Vladimir discuss with his father in the garden?
2. In Chapter 4, at what time does Princess Zasyekin say she will meet Mme. Petrovich?
3. Why does Zinaida like Count Malevsky?
4. How does Vladimir feel before dinner with Princess Zasyekin?
5. Why does Mme. Petrovich scold Vladimir when he returns home from Princess Zasyekin's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 15, what is Vladimir's opinion of Dr. Looshin? What revelation does Dr. Looshin have?
2. At the end of Chapter 16, why can't Vladimir sleep?
3. What happens during Vladimir's father's first meeting with Zinaida? What is Vladimir's reaction?
4. What is the game analogies? Whose analogy wins in Chapter 11?
5. What does Vladimir accuse Zinaida of in Chapter 18? What is Zinaida's reaction?
6. Describe Vladimir's interaction with the young cadet and Zinaida.
7. Describe Vladimir's parents as described in Chapter 1.
8. How does Byelovzorov act at Zinaida's party? What is her reaction to him?
9. Describe the fight between Vladirmir's mother and father in Chapter 20. What was the cause of the fight? What was the result of the fight?
10. In Chapter 16, what does Zinaida suggest everyone share with each other in the lodge? What do they end up sharing instead?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Zinaida's character effects the lives of several other character's in the book. Other than Vladimir, choose two characters who life she effects and how. Provide detailed examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of poetry in Turgenev's book. How does Turgenev use poetry in his book? What is Turgenev's history with poetry. Discuss one time in the book that poetry plays a significant role in the story and why.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationship between Vladimir and Dr. Looshin. What advice does Dr. Looshin give to Vladimir. Argue for or against that Dr. Looshin acts as a father figure to Vladimir.
This section contains 1,107 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)