|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Vladimir view his father?
2. In Chapter 7, how does Zinaida say farewell to Vladimir after the party at her house?
3. How many men are at Zinaida's party when Vladimir arrives?
4. What does Princess Zasyekin thank M. Petrovich for after dinner?
5. What does Vladimir's father say will make a man free?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Vladimir's emotions at the start of Chapter 13 and why they change.
2. On what subject would Zinaida write poetry about? What is Maidanov's response?
3. How does Count Malevsky trick Vladimir into spying on Zinaida?
4. Who does Vladimir see riding together at the end of Chapter 14? Why is this significant?
5. What advice does Vladimir's father give him while they walk through the garden?
6. Why does Zinaida stop receiving guests in Chapter 15?
7. How does Zinaida treat her suitors in the garden?
8. Why does Zinaida like Count Malevsky? Does she love him? Why or why not?
9. How does Byelovzorov act at Zinaida's party? What is her reaction to him?
10. Why does Count Malevsky think Vladimir is a "bad page"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Ivan Sergeevich Turgenev's biographical information and discuss how it relates to his construction of the book "First Love." What elements of his life does the author incorporate into his book?
Essay Topic 2
Define the word protagonist and supply the protagonist(s) for Turgenev's book . Describe the protagonist and how he or she fits the definition of the word.
Essay Topic 3
What is the lesson that Turgenev is trying to teach the reader? Why is it significant that Zinaida is married at the end of the book to another man? What does this suggest about love?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)