|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vladimir's father say is the whole thing in life?
2. In Chapter 8, what does Vladimir discuss with his father in the garden?
3. What does Vladimir realize at the end of Chapter 9?
4. In Chapter 2, what does the man in the garden tease Vladimir about?
5. Why does Zinaida like Count Malevsky?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nickname that Zinaida gives Vladimir?
2. Describe Princess Zasyekin. What does she want from Vladimir's family?
3. What work does Vladimir do for Princess Zasyekin at the end of Chapter 8?
4. What is Princess Zasyekin's reaction to Vladimir's family leaving? What does Vladimir's mother tell her the reason is?
5. What advice does Vladimir's father give him while they walk through the garden?
6. In Chapter 2, what is the woman Vladimir encounters in the garden like?
7. Describe what Vladimir catches his father doing during the horseback ride in Chapter 21.
8. Why does Zinaida call Vladimir to the garden in Chapter 15?
9. What does Vladimir accuse Zinaida of in Chapter 18? What is Zinaida's reaction?
10. Who does Zinaida say will get her a horse and why does this shock Vladimir?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Provide the definition of foreshadowing and explain how Turgenev uses this technique in his story. Provide two specific examples of foreshadowing and what events they predict.
Essay Topic 2
Define the word protagonist and supply the protagonist(s) for Turgenev's book . Describe the protagonist and how he or she fits the definition of the word.
Essay Topic 3
Argue what you believe to be the climax of Turgenev's book. State specific examples from the book to make your argument.
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)