|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Vladimir and his father walk in Chapter 8?
2. What does Vladimir's father say is the whole thing in life?
3. What does the girl do to the people she is speaking to in the garden?
4. Who is Fyodor?
5. What does Vladimir help Zinaida do at her house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Vladimir's character as described in Chapter 1.
2. What does Vladimir's mother think about her sons interactions with Zinaida?
3. What advice does Dr. Looshin give to Vladimir in Chapter 20?
4. In Chapter 2, what is the woman Vladimir encounters in the garden like?
5. In the prologue, what does the host want to guests to discuss? Describe Nicolayevich's story.
6. Describe the conversation that Zinaida and Vladimir have while winding wool.
7. What does Princess Zasyekin want Zinaida to stop drinking? What is Dr. Looshin's response?
8. What is Vladimir's mother's impression of Princess Zasyekin?
9. Describe the story Zinaida tells her guests in Chapter 16.
10. Describe what Vladimir catches his father doing during the horseback ride in Chapter 21.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Symbolism is prevalent in Turgenev's story. Choose three times where Turgenev uses symbolism. Define symbolism and discuss how each item or event fits the definition of symbolic.
Essay Topic 2
Zinaida's character effects the lives of several other character's in the book. Other than Vladimir, choose two characters who life she effects and how. Provide detailed examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Ivan Sergeevich Turgenev's biographical information and discuss how it relates to his construction of the book "First Love." What elements of his life does the author incorporate into his book?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)