|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what month do the shutters of the second lodge open?
2. What fear does Vladimir have about his father?
3. Where does Vladimir frequently walk?
4. What is Vladimir doing for Princess Zasyekin at the end of Chapter 8?
5. How old is Vladimir's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Zinaida stop receiving guests in Chapter 15?
2. Describe Zinaida and Vladimir's farewell.
3. Describe the fight between Vladirmir's mother and father in Chapter 20. What was the cause of the fight? What was the result of the fight?
4. What happens when Vladimir is asked to tell his story? Why?
5. Describe Princess Zasyekin's husband.
6. At the end of Chapter 16, why can't Vladimir sleep?
7. How does Zinaida love Vladimir?
8. How does Vladimir's father die? Where does Vladimir's mother send money to after his death? Who do you think received the money?
9. Describe Princess Zasyekin. What does she want from Vladimir's family?
10. Describe Vladimir's emotions at the start of Chapter 13 and why they change.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Argue what you believe to be the climax of Turgenev's book. State specific examples from the book to make your argument.
Essay Topic 2
What is the central conflict of Turgenev's book and how does he support this conflict throughout the story? Choose three examples from the text and discuss how these examples demonstrate the conflict of the story.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationship between Vladimir and Dr. Looshin. What advice does Dr. Looshin give to Vladimir. Argue for or against that Dr. Looshin acts as a father figure to Vladimir.
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)