|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Zinaida say she will never love Count Malevsky?
2. Where is the second lodge located?
3. What does Byelovzorov claim Zinaida's word is in Chapter 4?
4. What is Vladimir doing for Princess Zasyekin at the end of Chapter 8?
5. What does Dr. Looshin instruct Vladimir to do to Zinaida in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what you learn about Vladimir's relationship with his father in Chapter 8.
2. In Chapter 16, what does Zinaida suggest everyone share with each other in the lodge? What do they end up sharing instead?
3. What happens during Vladimir's father's first meeting with Zinaida? What is Vladimir's reaction?
4. At the start of Chapter 7, Vladimir walks into a party at Zinaida's house. What does he see when he first arrives?
5. Who does Zinaida say will get her a horse and why does this shock Vladimir?
6. What information is in the anonymous letter Vladimir's mother receives? Who do you think sent the letter?
7. How does Zinaida treat her suitors in the garden?
8. How does Count Malevsky trick Vladimir into spying on Zinaida?
9. In the prologue, what does the host want to guests to discuss? Describe Nicolayevich's story.
10. What does Vladimir see when he spies on Zinaida in the garden in Chapter 17?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the love triangle between Vladimir, his father and Zinaida. What does each person seek emotionally from the relationship? What do they receive from the relationship?
Essay Topic 2
One night in the lodge, Zinaida suggests that everyone should make up a story. Describe Zinaida's story and each suitors' reaction to it. What is relevant about her story and her suitors' reactions to it.
Essay Topic 3
Describe briefly, the history of Russian princesses. Does Princess Zasyekin fit this description? Why or why not? Why is Princess Zasyekin an important character in Turgenev's book?
This section contains 1,131 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)