|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Vladimir's father do to him that almost makes him cry?
(a) Calls him names.
(b) Caresses him tenderly.
(c) Hits him.
(d) Shakes his hand.
2. Who is the girl in the garden talking to?
(a) Four young men.
(b) Four old men.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her father.
3. Why does Mme. Petrovich scold Vladimir when he returns home from Princess Zasyekin's house?
(a) He was late.
(b) He did not clean his room.
(c) He yelled at her.
(d) He lost his shoes.
4. When Vladimir runs from the garden in Chapter 2, where does he run to?
(a) The bathroom.
(b) His room.
(c) The boat house.
(d) The kitchen.
5. What appears in the window of the second lodge?
(a) A woman's face.
(b) A dog.
(c) A ghost.
(d) A man's face.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Vladimir's summer home?
2. What does Vladimir shoot on his walks?
3. How does Zinaida feel about all of her suitors.
4. What gift does Byelovzorov give Zinaida in Chapter 4?
5. What does Vladimir's father say is the whole thing in life?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Zinaida stop receiving guests in Chapter 15?
2. What is Forfeits?
3. Describe one guest's reaction to Zinaida's story in Chapter 16.
4. What does the pantry boy tell Vladimir about his parent's fight?
5. In Chapter 16, what does Zinaida suggest everyone share with each other in the lodge? What do they end up sharing instead?
6. What does Princess Zasyekin want Zinaida to stop drinking? What is Dr. Looshin's response?
7. How does Zinaida love Vladimir?
8. Describe what you learn about Vladimir's relationship with his father in Chapter 8.
9. At the end of Chapter 16, why can't Vladimir sleep?
10. Describe Vladimir's interaction with the young cadet and Zinaida.
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)