|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the young cadet make with Vladimir's knife?
(b) A whistle.
(c) A carving.
(d) A sculpture.
2. Which of Zinaida's suitors does Vladimir consider the most dangerous?
(a) Dr. Looshin.
(b) The butler.
(c) Count Malevsky.
3. What does Princess Zasyekin ask her daughter about the horse?
(a) If it is a thoroughbred.
(b) Where the money to pay for it will come from.
(c) What color the horse is.
(d) How old the horse is.
4. Why does Vladimir not speak with Zinaida in Chapter 18?
(a) Her mother is present.
(b) Her brother is present.
(c) She is not home.
(d) She is busy.
5. Who has Vladimir not seen at the start of Chapter 15?
(a) His father.
(c) His mother.
6. At the start of Chapter 18, what is Vladimir's emotional condition?
7. Why does Mme. Petrovich tell Princess Zasyekin she must leave suddenly?
(a) A family emergency.
(b) A wedding.
(c) A family death.
8. In what style will Maidanov rewrite Zinaida's poem?
(d) Byronic style.
9. In Chapter 16 what game do the characters play?
10. Where do the characters gather at the start of Chapter 16?
(a) The garden.
(b) The river.
(c) The kitchen.
(d) The lodge.
11. How would Maidanov respond to the man in Zinadia's story?
(a) He would cry.
(b) He would write a poem.
(c) He would write a letter.
(d) He would challenge him to a duel.
12. How did Vladimir's mother learn of the affair?
(a) No one told her.
(b) A phone call.
(c) An anonymous letter.
(d) Gossip in town.
13. Why does Maidanov not like Zinaida's idea for a poem?
(a) It is gruesome.
(b) It is too short.
(c) It is too long.
(d) It does not rhyme.
14. Who does Vladimir see while spying in the garden?
(a) Dr. Looshin.
(b) His mother.
(c) His father.
(d) Princess Zasyekin.
15. Where does Vladimir find his father after he sees Zinaida on the horse?
(a) In the garden.
(b) At dinner with his mother.
(c) At the beach.
(d) In the stable.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Zinaida say will deliver her a horse for her to ride?
2. How would Byelovzorov respond to the man in Zinadia's story?
3. How does Dr. Looshin's behavior change in Chapter 10?
4. Where does Count Malevsky suggest Vladimir spy?
5. How does Vladimir's mother behave at lunch?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)