|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Zinaida receives Vladimir in Chapter 13, what does Vladimir realize?
(a) She hates him.
(b) She pities him.
(c) She loves him.
(d) She sees him as a child.
2. What is Byelovzorov unable to find for Zinaida in Chapter 13?
(a) An acceptable suitor.
(b) A cold drink.
(c) A quiet horse.
(d) A fan.
3. What does Princess Zasyekin ask her daughter about the horse?
(a) How old the horse is.
(b) What color the horse is.
(c) Where the money to pay for it will come from.
(d) If it is a thoroughbred.
4. How did Vladimir's mother learn of the affair?
(a) No one told her.
(b) A phone call.
(c) An anonymous letter.
(d) Gossip in town.
5. What does Zinaida yank from Vladimir?
(a) His watch.
(b) His hair.
(c) His tie.
(d) His necklace.
6. Which suitor begins to wait on Princess Zasyekin?
(a) Dr. Looshin.
(c) Count Malevsky.
7. How would Byelovzorov respond to the man in Zinadia's story?
(a) He would slap him.
(b) He would challenge him to a duel.
(c) He would congratulate him.
(d) He would stab him.
8. In Chapter 19, what does the pantry boy tell Vladimir?
(a) His parents are selling the house.
(b) He is quitting his job.
(c) Zinaida came looking for him.
(d) His parents had a fight.
9. How does Dr. Looshin's behavior change in Chapter 10?
(a) He becomes softer.
(b) He becomes more malicious.
(c) He becomes sappy.
(d) He becomes kinder.
10. Why does Zinaida chide Vladimir in Chapter 10?
(a) He spills his tea.
(b) He glares at her.
(c) He makes silly jokes.
(d) He looks sad.
11. What does Zinaida want everyone to share in Chapter 16?
(a) Their dreams.
(b) Their family tree.
(c) Their food.
(d) Their dessert.
12. While spying, what does Vladimir climb up on in the garden?
(a) The fountain.
(b) The bench.
(c) The roof of the stable.
(d) The roof of the greenhouse.
13. Who does Vladimir see while spying in the garden?
(a) His mother.
(b) His father.
(c) Dr. Looshin.
(d) Princess Zasyekin.
14. Where does Mme. Petrovich say she is going to move?
(a) Back to the town.
(b) To the country.
(c) Into the lodge.
(d) To America.
15. In Chapter 29, what does Vladimir promise Zinaida?
(a) That he will hate her.
(b) That he will always love her.
(c) That he will return for her.
(d) That he will ruin her life.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Vladimir know he is destined to see again?
2. How does Vladimir feel at the start of Chapter 13?
3. Why does Maidanov not like Zinaida's idea for a poem?
4. What does Vladimir accuse Zinaida of in Chapter 18?
5. Whose words of wisdom about sacrifice does Vladimir recall in Chapter 20?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)