|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Vladimir wear around his neck instead of a tie?
(a) A necklace.
(b) A piece of rope.
(c) Zinaida's ribbon.
2. Why does Vladimir not speak with Zinaida in Chapter 18?
(a) She is not home.
(b) Her mother is present.
(c) Her brother is present.
(d) She is busy.
3. What is Byelovzorov unable to find for Zinaida in Chapter 13?
(a) A cold drink.
(b) A quiet horse.
(c) A fan.
(d) An acceptable suitor.
4. After Zinaida receives Vladimir in Chapter 13, what does Vladimir realize?
(a) She loves him.
(b) She sees him as a child.
(c) She pities him.
(d) She hates him.
5. In Chapter 29, what does Vladimir promise Zinaida?
(a) That he will return for her.
(b) That he will always love her.
(c) That he will hate her.
(d) That he will ruin her life.
6. Who does Zinaida invite to go riding with her in Chapter 13?
(a) Count Malevsky, Byelovzorov and Vladimir.
(b) Dr. Looshin and Count Malevsky.
(c) Vladimir's mother.
(d) Dr. Looshin.
7. What is Zinaida doing at the start of Chapter 12?
8. At the end of Chapter 16, what does Vladimir wonder about?
(a) When he will see Zinaida next.
(b) Who the man in Zinaida's story is.
(c) Who will win the battle for Zinaida's heart.
(d) What the weather will be like tomorrow.
9. Where do the characters gather at the start of Chapter 16?
(a) The garden.
(b) The river.
(c) The lodge.
(d) The kitchen.
10. In Chapter 16, who does Zinaida ask to leave the party?
(a) Dr. Looshin.
(d) Count Malevsky.
11. In Chapter 14, who chases Zinaida on a horse?
(a) Princess Zasyekin.
(b) Count Malevsky.
(d) Vladimir's father.
12. Whose words of wisdom about sacrifice does Vladimir recall in Chapter 20?
(a) Dr. Looshin.
(b) Princess Zasyekin.
13. What is Vladimir's response the question Zinaida asks in the garden?
(a) That his father is married.
(b) That he no longer loves her.
(c) That she is pretty.
(d) That she has changed.
14. In Chapter 15, who no longer visits the lodge?
(c) Dr. Looshin.
15. How would Maidanov respond to the man in Zinadia's story?
(a) He would write a poem.
(b) He would challenge him to a duel.
(c) He would write a letter.
(d) He would cry.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Vladimir see riding horses with Zinaida in Chapter 14?
2. In Chapter 19, who does Vladimir eat dinner with?
3. What ailment is Vladimir suffering from at the start of Chapter 18?
4. Who did Vladimir's father have an affair with?
5. In Chapter 17 what does Vladimir carry in his pocket?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)