|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Count Malevsky suggest Vladimir spy?
(a) In Moscow.
(b) At the lodge.
(c) At the stable.
(d) At the fountain.
2. What is Byelovzorov unable to find for Zinaida in Chapter 13?
(a) An acceptable suitor.
(b) A quiet horse.
(c) A cold drink.
(d) A fan.
3. What is Vladimir's response the question Zinaida asks in the garden?
(a) That she has changed.
(b) That she is pretty.
(c) That he no longer loves her.
(d) That his father is married.
4. How does Zinaida admit to loving Vladimir?
(a) She loves him like a wife loves a husband.
(b) She loves him like a child.
(c) She loves him like a pet.
(d) She loves him deeply.
5. What does Zinaida want everyone to share in Chapter 16?
(a) Their food.
(b) Their dreams.
(c) Their dessert.
(d) Their family tree.
6. In Chapter 15, what does Zinaida admit to Vladimir about her behavior?
(a) That she is playing hard to get.
(b) That she is sad.
(c) That she has been cold towards him.
(d) That she wants to marry him.
7. What does Vladimir hear while in the garden in Chapter 17, alerting him to another person's presence?
(a) A cough.
(b) A sneeze.
(c) A twig snap.
(d) A whisper.
8. Who visits Vladmir's house in Chapter 17?
(a) Count Malevsky.
(b) Dr. Looshin.
(c) Zinadia and Princess Zasyekin.
(d) Pyotr Petrovich.
9. What is the last line of the poem Vladimir writes?
(a) "My heart!"
(b) "Oh the agony!"
(c) "Be still my heart!"
(d) "Oh Zinaida! Zinaida!"
10. At the start of Chapter 18, what is Vladimir's emotional condition?
11. Who does Vladimir see riding horses with Zinaida in Chapter 14?
(a) His mother.
(b) Princess Zasyekin.
(c) Count Malevsky.
(d) His father.
12. What does Zinaida give Vladimir after he makes his promise?
(a) A passionate kiss.
(b) A piece of her hair.
(c) A necklace.
(d) A cold stare.
13. How did Vladimir's mother learn of the affair?
(a) No one told her.
(b) A phone call.
(c) An anonymous letter.
(d) Gossip in town.
14. Whose words of wisdom about sacrifice does Vladimir recall in Chapter 20?
(a) Princess Zasyekin.
(c) Dr. Looshin.
15. After Zinaida receives Vladimir in Chapter 13, what does Vladimir realize?
(a) She hates him.
(b) She loves him.
(c) She pities him.
(d) She sees him as a child.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mme. Petrovich say she is going to move?
2. What does Zinaida admit to doing to Vladimir in Chapter 20?
3. What must Vladimir do when he sees Zinaida in the window in Chapter 20?
4. How does Zinadia respond when Count Malevsky asks if her story is fiction?
5. What is Zinaida doing at the start of Chapter 12?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)