|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the girl in the garden react to Vladimir?
(a) She ignores him.
(b) She kisses him.
(c) She cries.
(d) She laughs at him.
2. Who does Vladimir follow home in Chapter 4?
(b) His niece.
(d) Mme. Petrovich.
3. What does Vladimir realize at the end of Chapter 9?
(a) That Zinaida is in love.
(b) That he doesn't like Zinaida.
(c) That Zinaida hates him.
(d) That he left his books in the garden.
4. What emotions does Vladimir feel at the end of Chapter 4?
(a) Joy and happiness.
(b) Excitement and fear.
(c) Sadness and sorrow.
(d) Jealousy and depression.
5. How does M. Petrovich greet Zinaida when he meets her the first time?
(a) He shakes her hand.
(b) He kisses her.
(c) He bows.
(d) He hugs her.
6. What does Vladimir's father say is the whole thing in life?
(d) Belonging to oneself.
7. What does Vladimir watch from his window at the end of Chapter 7?
(a) Dr. Looshin.
(b) A storm.
(c) The ocean.
8. At what time does Zinaida tell Vladimir to meet her the next evening?
9. In Chapter 4, at what time does Princess Zasyekin say she will meet Mme. Petrovich?
10. Who does Mme. Petrovich ask for information about the new neighbor?
(a) Her maid.
(b) Her butler.
(c) Her cook.
(d) Her friend.
11. When Vladimir runs from the garden in Chapter 2, where does he run to?
(a) The bathroom.
(b) The kitchen.
(c) The boat house.
(d) His room.
12. What is Vladimir afraid of his mother finding out in Chapter 9?
(a) That he broke a window.
(b) That he stole some food.
(c) That he wants to move out.
(d) That he loves Zinaida.
13. In the prologue, who is sitting with the host after the other guests leave?
(a) Sergey Nicolayevich.
(b) Sergey Nicolayevich and Vladimir Petrovich.
(c) Sergey Nicolayevich and Princess Zinaida Zasyekin.
(d) Vladimir Petrovich.
14. In Chapter 3, what is Princess Zasyekin involved in?
(a) The mob.
(b) Several lawsuits.
(d) Elite social circles.
15. What does Vladimir help Zinaida do at her house?
(a) Comb her hair.
(b) Cook dinner.
(c) Wind wool.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 7, whose image is in Vladimir's mind as he sleeps?
2. What does Princess Zasyekin thank M. Petrovich for after dinner?
3. In Chapter 8, what does Vladimir discuss with his father in the garden?
4. What nickname does Zinaida call Vladimir throughout the book?
5. What is the name of the poem Maidanov recites at the party at the lodge?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)