|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much does Byelovzorov offer to pay Vladimir for his ticket?
(a) 20 dollars.
(b) 50 rubles.
(c) 75 dollars.
(d) 100 rubles.
2. What does Vladimir's father do to him that almost makes him cry?
(a) Hits him.
(b) Caresses him tenderly.
(c) Calls him names.
(d) Shakes his hand.
3. What does Princess Zasyekin beg Mme. Petrovich for in Chapter 3 ?
(b) A chance to visit.
(d) A place to stay.
4. What does Mme. Petrovich think of Princess Zasyekin?
(a) She is ugly.
(b) She is tedious.
(c) She is exciting.
(d) She is mean.
5. Who is the girl in the garden talking to?
(a) Four old men.
(b) Four young men.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her father.
6. In what month do the shutters of the second lodge open?
7. How old is Vladimir in the summer of 1833?
8. What fear does Vladimir have about his father?
(a) That he will go bankrupt.
(b) That he will hit him.
(c) That his father will abandon him.
(d) That he will die.
9. At the end of Chapter 7, whose image is in Vladimir's mind as he sleeps?
(a) Princess Zasyekin.
(b) Count Malevsky.
(d) Dr. Looshin.
10. What gift does Byelovzorov give Zinaida in Chapter 4?
(a) A kitten.
(b) A necklace.
(c) A puppy.
11. What does Vladimir watch from his window at the end of Chapter 7?
(a) Dr. Looshin.
(b) A storm.
(d) The ocean.
12. Who is Byelovzorov?
(a) A baker.
(b) A farmer.
(c) A young officer.
(d) A writer.
13. What is Vladimir doing for Princess Zasyekin at the end of Chapter 8?
(a) Yard work.
(b) Reading to her.
(c) Cleaning her house.
(d) Copying a petition.
14. What does Vladimir's father say will make a man free?
(b) One's own will.
15. What does Vladimir help Zinaida do at her house?
(a) Cook dinner.
(b) Comb her hair.
(c) Wind wool.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Vladimir react when he sees the girl in the garden for the first time?
2. At what time does Zinaida tell Vladimir to meet her the next evening?
3. What nickname does Zinaida call Vladimir throughout the book?
4. What appears in the window of the second lodge?
5. How does the girl in the garden react to Vladimir?
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)