|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who suggests discussing the removal of Taylor's ventilator with the ethics committee?
2. What is the Total Life Care Center also called?
3. How often does Lin Weeks deal with death?
4. Who is Landon's attending surgeon?
5. What happens to Landon, as the result of a high fever?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Norma tells Armando about his condition?
2. What are the guidelines the Committee must follow regarding withdrawing life support, as set forth by Randy in Chapter 25?
3. How does Hermann fit in with the other two hospitals in Houston?
4. What are the other two hospitals in Houston?
5. What condition does Landon have, and why?
6. What is the Committee's decision regarding Taylor, in Chapter 16?
7. Who is Cindy Walker?
8. What is the hospital's situation when the book was written in 1988?
9. What is Armando's condition, as described in the Epilogue?
10. What happens to Armando when he arrives at his new facility?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The founder of Hermann Hospital stipulated that he wanted a large portion of the hospital's funding to be dedicated to charity care. Why was the amount of charity care decreased over time? How do you think Hermann's family felt about these changes? Do you think Hermann would have agreed with the decision to decrease charity care, in order to keep the hospital up and running? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Armando grew up poor, knowing little English, and eventually his drunken brawls resulted in him getting shot. Did his lower-class upbringing influence the course of his life, which later resulted in his getting shot? Why or why not? Do you think that his injury still would have happened if he had a proper education and lived in a better area? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the personality and actions of Oria Dismuke. Do you feel that she is a bad mother, as many of the hospital staff do, for not being more involved in her son's life? Or is she, as she claims, simply exhausted by working so much, and giving her son's care over to people who are more capable, and know him better than she does? Do you think her reaction to her son's death is normal and healthy? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)