|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much debt does Hermann have?
2. Hermann was caught up in scandals until when?
3. According to Belkin, what is "First, Do No Harm" about?
4. Who is the financial administrator at Hermann?
5. Why does Patrick choose the treatment option he does, in Chapter 20?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the courts revise Hermann's will after his death?
2. What happens to Claire and Kenny Sparks in Chapter 21?
3. What are the other two hospitals in Houston?
4. What does Dr. Butler tell Kenny, in Chapter 23, regarding Landon's condition and treatment?
5. What happens to Armando when he arrives at his new facility?
6. Who was the founder of Hermann Hospital, and how did he make his fortune?
7. How does Armando behave with his nurses at Hermann?
8. Who is Cindy Walker?
9. What condition does Landon have, and why?
10. How is Patrick's condition changing in Chapter 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the hospital staff develop personal relationships with their patients. Do these personal relationships affect the way the staff treats their patients? Why or why not? Do you think that doctors are really able to set aside their personal feelings, and avoid favoritism among their patients? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the individuals on the Ethics Committee. What are their respective opinions about medical care, and life support? How do their opinions clash with one another, at times? Do you think that their level of comfort with one another is detrimental to their ability to work as a team to help patients? Why or why not? If they met more often, and not so sporadically, would they get along better? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Claire Sparks blames herself for Landon's condition, because he was conceived as the result of years of fertility treatments. Are fertility treatments safe for mother and baby? Do you think that the fertility treatments had an adverse effect on Landon's health? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)