|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What status is Patrick given by the committee?
2. When does the ethics committee usually meet?
3. How does Sharon react to discussing Taylor's treatment?
4. Which patient is the subject of the June chapter, Chapter 2?
5. How old is Patrick Dismuke?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Poarches feel about the doctor they receive when they first arrive at Hermann?
2. What is Oria Dismuke's relationship with Patrick?
3. What is the situation of the Poarch family at the end of Chapter 2?
4. What does Patrick admit to doing in Chapter 7?
5. What is the purpose of the Ethics Committee?
6. What happens to Taylor at the end of Chapter 6?
7. Who is attending the meeting at the beginning of Chapter 3?
8. What happened on the night that Armando was shot?
9. How does Javier feel about Patrick?
10. What are Jake and Taylor's conditions when they are born?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the personality and actions of Patrick Dismuke. Why was he so close to the hospital staff? How did he endear himself to them? How did they handle his death? Did their emotional attachment to him affect the way they treated his condition? Why or why not? Why did he go to such lengths to return to Hermann? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Think about the debate over the purpose of medical care. What are the different views presented in the book? Which one do you agree with? Why? At what point does medical care change from improving the quality of a person's life, to simply sustaining that life? Is it selfish to keep someone alive when they have no hope of recovery? Or is it "playing God" to let someone die? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Belkin mentions that elder care is a great burden on the medical system, and some have suggested that care be rationed to the elderly. How do you feel about this suggestion? Is it a financially practical option for the health care system? Why or why not? Why is it such a controversial idea? What would the benefits and drawbacks of such a system be? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)