|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Teresa's profession?
2. Why does Patrick do things to his IV line?
3. Why are the doctors reluctant to install a new line for Patrick?
4. What doctor do Fran and Carey meet when they get to the hospital?
5. What happens to Patrick's line, as a result of his tampering?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the treatment for Patrick's condition?
2. What is the situation of Armando's family?
3. What is the situation of the Poarch family at the end of Chapter 2?
4. What is the composition of the Ethics Committee?
5. Why did Armando leave Fort Worth to go to Madisonville?
6. What does Patrick admit to doing in Chapter 7?
7. How does Patrick feel about the hospital and its staff, compared to his home and family?
8. How do the Poarches feel about the doctor they receive when they first arrive at Hermann?
9. What happens to Taylor at the end of Chapter 6?
10. What is Teresa's family situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Belkin states that the book is about "making choices, and living with them." How well do you think the book conveys this message? Why? Is there anything that Belkin could have done differently to convey the message better? If so, what? Who has to live with the decisions that are made in the book? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Armando grew up poor, knowing little English, and eventually his drunken brawls resulted in him getting shot. Did his lower-class upbringing influence the course of his life, which later resulted in his getting shot? Why or why not? Do you think that his injury still would have happened if he had a proper education and lived in a better area? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Compare Hermann Hospital to the other major hospitals in Houston, Ben Taub and Methodist. How does Hermann fit in with the other two? What sort of experience do Hermann's patients get in comparison to the other hospitals' patients? Why? Should Hermann strive to become more like one of the other hospitals? If so, which one? If not, why? Why does Belkin compare Hermann to these other hospitals? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)