|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the main question debated by the committee in Chapter 14?
(a) Whether Taylor will be able to survive without the ventilator.
(b) Whether patients' needs should outweigh financial concerns.
(c) Whether the quantity or quality of life matters more.
(d) How doctors should weigh the risks of different treatments.
2. What happens to Armando when he leaves Bart's?
(a) His family cares for him at home.
(b) He goes to another long-term care facility.
(c) He goes to live in a halfway house.
(d) He goes back to Hermann.
3. Who is Javier's department chairman?
(a) Jan Van Eys.
(b) Richard Wright.
(c) Lin Weeks.
(d) Sally Olsen.
4. Who is Armando's physical therapist?
(a) Cindy Walker.
(b) Mary Coffey.
(c) Norma McNair.
(d) Sharon Crandell.
5. What happens to Patrick at the end of Chapter 12?
(a) He goes into remission.
(b) He goes in for surgery.
(c) He is diagnosed with cancer.
(d) He dies.
Short Answer Questions
1. What decision is made regarding Patrick at the end of Chapter 17?
2. How did Claire get pregnant?
3. What is an enormous burden on the medical system?
4. How many more children do Fran and Carey have after Taylor and Jake?
5. What is immediately noticeable about Landon when he is born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Oria Dismuke after Patrick's death?
2. According to the author, what does the debate over medical ethics boil down to?
3. What is the hospital's situation when the book was written in 1988?
4. Where does the Committee decide to send Armando in Chapter 18?
5. Why wasn't Hermann Hospital built right away?
6. Why did the courts revise Hermann's will after his death?
7. What happened to Javier after he quit Hermann?
8. What are Hazel Mitchell's responsibilities at Hermann?
9. What are the other two hospitals in Houston?
10. What does Dr. Butler tell Kenny, in Chapter 23, regarding Landon's condition and treatment?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)