|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How often does Lin Weeks deal with death?
(a) More often than she'd like.
(b) On a daily basis.
(c) As infrequently as she can.
(d) She avoids it at all costs.
2. What is Claire doing at the beginning of Chapter 21?
(a) Laying in a hospital bed, watching television.
(b) Preparing her unborn child's nursery.
(c) Rushing to the hospital.
(d) Cooking dinner for her husband.
3. What does Hazel want to avoid at the end of Chapter 11?
(a) Eliminating charity care.
(b) Another scandal.
(c) Bankruptcy for the hospital.
(d) Another situation like the Advanis.
4. What happened to the Advani family?
(a) Hermann was able to finance all of their care, and treat their son for free.
(b) Hermann had to cut them off and send them to another hospital.
(c) They held a fundraiser to help offset the costs of their son's care.
(d) Their son died because Hermann refused to finance his care.
5. When are Armando's negative emotions at their peak?
(a) When his doctors talk to him.
(b) During the day.
(c) When his family is around.
(d) At night.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to the board of trustees who were supposed to oversee the building of the hospital?
2. What is immediately noticeable about Landon when he is born?
3. Where does Teresa often see the Sparks?
4. Why does Lin Weeks step down from her position as chair of the ethics committee?
5. Why is it difficult for Landon to leave the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Norma tells Armando about his condition?
2. What happens to Claire and Kenny Sparks in Chapter 21?
3. What happens to Armando when he arrives at his new facility?
4. Why wasn't Hermann Hospital built right away?
5. How is Patrick's condition changing in Chapter 12?
6. What are the guidelines the Committee must follow regarding withdrawing life support, as set forth by Randy in Chapter 25?
7. What is the hospital's situation when the book was written in 1988?
8. What happened to Javier after he quit Hermann?
9. Who was the founder of Hermann Hospital, and how did he make his fortune?
10. What is Armando's mental state at the beginning of Chapter 9?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)