|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hermann was caught up in scandals until when?
(a) The 1970s.
(b) The 1980s.
(c) The 1950s.
(d) The 1960s.
2. How does the Total Life Care Center keep its operating costs down?
(a) By purchasing used equipment from other hospitals.
(b) By reducing the number of nurses needed.
(c) By only accepting patients whose families can afford their care.
(d) By hiring student doctors and nurses.
3. Why does Claire get rushed to the hospital in Chapter 21?
(a) She can't feel the baby kicking.
(b) Her water breaks.
(c) She is having difficulty breathing.
(d) She is bleeding from her womb.
4. Why does Fran want to remove Taylor's ventilator?
(a) She doesn't want Taylor to live because she will have too many health problems.
(b) It appears to make Taylor uncomfortable.
(c) She wants to see if Taylor can breathe on her own.
(d) Their insurance won't cover it any longer.
5. What does Mary try to procure for Armando?
(a) A better bed.
(b) A better wheelchair.
(c) Better food.
(d) A walker.
6. What is Taylor's appearance like in Chapter 13?
(a) She is thin and delicate-looking.
(b) She is gaining weight, and appears healthier.
(c) She is turning blue around her lips and extremities.
(d) She is swollen, and her skin is stretching and splitting.
7. Who is Javier's department chairman?
(a) Jan Van Eys.
(b) Richard Wright.
(c) Sally Olsen.
(d) Lin Weeks.
8. How does Armando respond when asked if he wants to be placed on a DNR?
(a) He agrees.
(b) He wants more information before deciding.
(c) He strongly declines.
(d) He says he needs time to think about it.
9. What disease does Landon have?
(a) Spina bifida.
(b) Muscular dystrophy.
(c) Cerebral palsy.
(d) Spinal meningitis.
10. What device helps Armando to talk?
(a) A text-to-speech device.
(b) A TTY machine.
(c) None; he still can't talk.
(d) A talking trach.
11. What happened to the Advani family?
(a) Hermann had to cut them off and send them to another hospital.
(b) Their son died because Hermann refused to finance his care.
(c) They held a fundraiser to help offset the costs of their son's care.
(d) Hermann was able to finance all of their care, and treat their son for free.
12. What is the main question debated by the committee in Chapter 14?
(a) Whether patients' needs should outweigh financial concerns.
(b) Whether Taylor will be able to survive without the ventilator.
(c) Whether the quantity or quality of life matters more.
(d) How doctors should weigh the risks of different treatments.
13. Why does Lin Weeks step down from her position as chair of the ethics committee?
(a) She disagreed with the other members' opinions too often.
(b) She ran out of time and enthusiasm.
(c) She wanted to try something new.
(d) She didn't like the committee's work.
14. Who founded Hermann Hospital?
(a) Hermann von Glick.
(b) Jeffrey Hermann Wilcox.
(c) George Henry Hermann.
(d) Hermann Muenster.
15. How many more children do Fran and Carey have after Taylor and Jake?
Short Answer Questions
1. What initially happened to the money that the founder left behind for the construction of the hospital?
2. Who is Armando's physical therapist?
3. What gives Fran and Carey solace, regarding their decision about Taylor?
4. Why is Armando able to find peace at Bart's?
5. Who is Armando's doctor?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)