|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the hospital's founder get rich?
(a) He inherited a large sum of money.
(b) He got a high-paying executive job.
(c) He won the lottery.
(d) He invested in oil.
2. What has Armando's doctor kept from him?
(a) The fact that he needs an extremely risky surgery.
(b) The fact that he is going to need to be transferred to a nursing home.
(c) The fact that his condition is probably permanent.
(d) The fact that his family refuses to sign his consent forms.
3. What gives Fran and Carey solace, regarding their decision about Taylor?
(a) Knowing that ten years later, there is still no cure or treatment for what Taylor had.
(b) Knowing that the ethics committee agreed with their decision.
(c) Talking to other parents who had to make the same decision.
(d) A vision that Fran has, in which Taylor visits her.
4. What does Javier do after leaving Hermann?
(a) He heads up a pediatric service at a small hospital.
(b) He becomes the chairman of the ethics committee at another hospital.
(c) He begins working for the insurance company.
(d) He starts his own practice.
5. How much debt does Hermann have?
(a) $4 million.
(b) $10 million.
(c) $2 trillion.
(d) $6 million.
6. What happens to Landon, as the result of a high fever?
(a) He has a seizure.
(b) He dies.
(c) He goes blind.
(d) He gets brain damage.
7. Who is Armando's physical therapist?
(a) Cindy Walker.
(b) Norma McNair.
(c) Mary Coffey.
(d) Sharon Crandell.
8. How many more children do Fran and Carey have after Taylor and Jake?
9. What is Taylor's appearance like in Chapter 13?
(a) She is gaining weight, and appears healthier.
(b) She is turning blue around her lips and extremities.
(c) She is thin and delicate-looking.
(d) She is swollen, and her skin is stretching and splitting.
10. Why is it difficult for Landon to leave the house?
(a) He needs a special van to transport him.
(b) He has bedsores.
(c) He cannot walk right.
(d) He gets made fun of.
11. What is Sharon Crandell's argument against letting Landon die?
(a) They're still not sure that his condition isn't treatable.
(b) Financial concerns should not be the deciding factor in determining patient care.
(c) There is no guarantee that he will have the disabilities they are predicting.
(d) The committee can't make decisions about who lives and dies based on the quality of their life.
12. What happened to the Advani family?
(a) Hermann was able to finance all of their care, and treat their son for free.
(b) Their son died because Hermann refused to finance his care.
(c) They held a fundraiser to help offset the costs of their son's care.
(d) Hermann had to cut them off and send them to another hospital.
13. What is immediately noticeable about Landon when he is born?
(a) He has a large red mass on his back.
(b) He has difficulty breathing.
(c) His eyes remain closed.
(d) He is missing several fingers and toes.
14. How is Armando's social worker described?
(a) Neither emotionally invested nor competent.
(b) Not very competent, but emotionally invested in her clients.
(c) Both emotionally invested, and extremely competent.
(d) Not very emotional, but extremely competent.
15. Who is Landon's attending surgeon?
(a) Jose Garcia.
(b) Sharon Crandell.
(c) Richard Wright.
(d) Eugene Adcock.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main question debated by the committee in Chapter 14?
2. How does the Total Life Care Center keep its operating costs down?
3. Who is Armando's social worker?
4. Why is Armando able to find peace at Bart's?
5. Why is Armando's doctor frustrated with Armando's family?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)