|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In which month does Chapter 11 end?
2. Why does Fran want to remove Taylor's ventilator?
(a) Their insurance won't cover it any longer.
(b) She doesn't want Taylor to live because she will have too many health problems.
(c) She wants to see if Taylor can breathe on her own.
(d) It appears to make Taylor uncomfortable.
3. How is Armando's social worker described?
(a) Not very emotional, but extremely competent.
(b) Neither emotionally invested nor competent.
(c) Not very competent, but emotionally invested in her clients.
(d) Both emotionally invested, and extremely competent.
4. How does the Total Life Care Center keep its operating costs down?
(a) By reducing the number of nurses needed.
(b) By only accepting patients whose families can afford their care.
(c) By hiring student doctors and nurses.
(d) By purchasing used equipment from other hospitals.
5. What happens to Patrick at the end of Chapter 12?
(a) He goes in for surgery.
(b) He dies.
(c) He goes into remission.
(d) He is diagnosed with cancer.
6. Who is Hermann's chief pediatric surgeon?
(a) Lin Weeks.
(b) Richard Andrussy.
(c) Hazel Mitchell.
(d) David MacDougall.
7. How is Ben Taub described?
(a) A large, well-funded private hospital.
(b) A very small, exclusive private hospital that caters only to those who can pay cash for their care.
(c) A small, well-funded private hospital, that deals with uninsured patients.
(d) A poorer, publicly-funded hospital that deals with uninsured patients.
8. What disease does Landon have?
(a) Cerebral palsy.
(b) Spina bifida.
(c) Muscular dystrophy.
(d) Spinal meningitis.
9. Why is Armando able to find peace at Bart's?
(a) Because Bart helps him come to terms with his condition.
(b) Because he feels that there was a reason for what happened to him.
(c) Because he decided not to waste the rest of his life being bitter.
(d) Because he knew that if he hadn't been shot, he would have died at some other time.
10. In what year did the hospital finally open?
11. What is immediately noticeable about Landon when he is born?
(a) His eyes remain closed.
(b) He has a large red mass on his back.
(c) He has difficulty breathing.
(d) He is missing several fingers and toes.
12. What part of Taylor's body is continuing to weaken in Chapter 13?
13. What fact must the ethics committee face?
(a) They must cut the jobs of approximately 100 staff.
(b) The hospital is going to go bankrupt.
(c) The hospital must go from privately-funded to publicly-funded.
(d) They cannot afford to give everyone the care they need.
14. Who is Lee Zacharias?
(a) Director of pediatric medicine.
(b) Director of social work.
(c) The hospital's lawyer.
(d) Financial administrator.
15. How does Armando respond when asked if he wants to be placed on a DNR?
(a) He wants more information before deciding.
(b) He strongly declines.
(c) He says he needs time to think about it.
(d) He agrees.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Landon's attending surgeon?
2. Who suggests discussing the removal of Taylor's ventilator with the ethics committee?
3. What does Mary try to procure for Armando?
4. What is Methodist Hospital?
5. How did the hospital's founder get rich?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)