|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the founder's stipulation for the funding he left to build a hospital?
(a) A minimum number of jobs had to be created in the hospital.
(b) A large portion of the hospital was to be used for charity care.
(c) It had to be a teaching hospital.
(d) The hospital had to be built in a certain area of town.
2. What point does Cindy make, regarding Armando, at the end of Chapter 16?
(a) If he doesn't live, it will be bad press for the hospital.
(b) His rude behavior toward the nurses shouldn't be tolerated.
(c) He will almost definitely live, and therefore he is a liability to the hospital.
(d) His condition is worsening fairly rapidly.
3. What is the main question debated by the committee in Chapter 14?
(a) Whether patients' needs should outweigh financial concerns.
(b) Whether Taylor will be able to survive without the ventilator.
(c) How doctors should weigh the risks of different treatments.
(d) Whether the quantity or quality of life matters more.
4. What happened to the board of trustees who were supposed to oversee the building of the hospital?
(a) Several quit, and the board fell apart.
(b) They were unable to work with one another.
(c) They were constantly embroiled in controversy.
(d) They were unable to come to a consensus about any important issues.
5. Why does Claire get rushed to the hospital in Chapter 21?
(a) She is bleeding from her womb.
(b) Her water breaks.
(c) She can't feel the baby kicking.
(d) She is having difficulty breathing.
6. Hermann was caught up in scandals until when?
(a) The 1970s.
(b) The 1950s.
(c) The 1960s.
(d) The 1980s.
7. What has Armando's doctor kept from him?
(a) The fact that his condition is probably permanent.
(b) The fact that his family refuses to sign his consent forms.
(c) The fact that he needs an extremely risky surgery.
(d) The fact that he is going to need to be transferred to a nursing home.
8. What happens to Armando when he leaves Bart's?
(a) His family cares for him at home.
(b) He goes to live in a halfway house.
(c) He goes back to Hermann.
(d) He goes to another long-term care facility.
9. Who is Javier's department chairman?
(a) Richard Wright.
(b) Lin Weeks.
(c) Jan Van Eys.
(d) Sally Olsen.
10. Why is Armando able to find peace at Bart's?
(a) Because Bart helps him come to terms with his condition.
(b) Because he feels that there was a reason for what happened to him.
(c) Because he decided not to waste the rest of his life being bitter.
(d) Because he knew that if he hadn't been shot, he would have died at some other time.
11. Who is Dahlia?
(a) Armando's sister.
(b) Armando's niece.
(c) Armando's speech therapist.
(d) Armando's occupational therapist.
12. What happens to Javier as a result of cases like Patrick's?
(a) They make him wonder if he entered the wrong profession.
(b) They make him wish that there was more that he could do.
(c) They demoralize him, and worry his wife.
(d) They make him question whether he can handle the stress of his job.
13. How much time elapsed between the events, and the book being written?
(a) Three years.
(b) Seven years.
(c) Four years.
(d) Ten years.
14. What emotions is Armando experiencing in Chapter 9?
(a) Peace and acceptance.
(b) Panic and despair.
(c) Resignation and depression.
(d) Cautious hope and optimism.
15. Why does Fran want to remove Taylor's ventilator?
(a) She doesn't want Taylor to live because she will have too many health problems.
(b) She wants to see if Taylor can breathe on her own.
(c) It appears to make Taylor uncomfortable.
(d) Their insurance won't cover it any longer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What changed as a result of the courts' revisions to the founder's will?
2. How much is Armando's bill to date?
3. What is Claire doing at the beginning of Chapter 21?
4. What is expected to happen to Hermann's financial situation?
5. Why does Lin Weeks step down from her position as chair of the ethics committee?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)