|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Sharon Crandell act the way she does with her patients and their families?
(a) She thinks she is treating her patients with respect by being so honest.
(b) She gets emotionally involved to avoid seeing her patients in an impersonal and scientific way.
(c) She became a doctor because enjoyed the science, not because she truly wanted to help people.
(d) She emphasizes the positive side of things, to encourage optimism in her patients.
2. What happened to Armando?
(a) He was shot.
(b) He was driving a car, and hit a tree.
(c) He fell off of a ladder.
(d) He was walking, and was hit by a car.
3. Who is Virginia Lennox?
(a) Taylor's social worker.
(b) Taylor's doctor.
(c) Taylor's aunt.
(d) One of the nurses in the NICU.
4. What has gone wrong that might induce premature labor for Fran?
(a) Her cervix has thinned.
(b) She gave herself a hernia lifting something heavy.
(c) She has diabetes.
(d) She took too much aspirin.
5. What disease does Patrick have?
(a) Hirschsprung's disease.
(d) Lou Gehrig's disease.
6. What do the doctors have to do to Taylor and Jake?
(a) Put them into detox.
(b) Give them antibiotics.
(c) Put them on a ventilator.
(d) Give them steroids.
7. Which of the babies is in worse health?
(a) Both are about the same.
(d) Doctors aren't sure.
8. What happens to Taylor?
(a) She goes home with Fran and Carey.
(b) She lives, but must remain on the ventilator in the hospital.
(c) She gets pneumonia.
(d) She dies.
9. How do the hospital staff, except Javier, feel about Patrick?
(a) They feel that he is a nuisance, and makes unreasonable demands.
(b) He has endeared himself to all of them.
(c) They think he is sweet, but too emotionally dependent.
(d) They think he is a spoiled brat.
10. What is causing Patrick excess suffering?
(a) His family's interference.
(b) His antibiotics.
(c) His nurses' incompetence.
(d) His doctors' indecisiveness.
11. What is the most important criterion of Patrick's status?
(a) He must be allowed to participate in the discussion of his treatment options.
(b) He must be kept comfortable.
(c) He must be kept out of the treatment loop, so that he does not become upset.
(d) He must be given the least expensive treatment option.
12. What does Patrick sometimes do to his IV line?
(a) Pollutes it with feces and dirt.
(b) Cuts it open.
(c) Pulls it out.
(d) Blows air into it.
13. How many people are at the meeting in Chapter 3?
14. Who raises the question of whether to withdraw Patrick's IV line?
15. What do Fran and Carey want to do with Taylor at the end of Chapter 6?
(a) They want to bring her home and let her die in peace.
(b) They want to put her on a DNR.
(c) They want to take her off the ventilator and see how she does.
(d) They want to move her to another hospital.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is CHOSEN?
2. What happens to Patrick's line, as a result of his tampering?
3. How do the members of the ethics committee feel about one another?
4. What does Sally claim to be able to do?
5. How do Fran and Carey feel about Taylor's new doctor?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)