|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Sharon Crandell act the way she does with her patients and their families?
(a) She gets emotionally involved to avoid seeing her patients in an impersonal and scientific way.
(b) She became a doctor because enjoyed the science, not because she truly wanted to help people.
(c) She emphasizes the positive side of things, to encourage optimism in her patients.
(d) She thinks she is treating her patients with respect by being so honest.
2. How do the hospital staff, except Javier, feel about Patrick?
(a) He has endeared himself to all of them.
(b) They think he is a spoiled brat.
(c) They feel that he is a nuisance, and makes unreasonable demands.
(d) They think he is sweet, but too emotionally dependent.
3. What does Fran's obstetrician do for her at her last check-up?
(a) She admits her to the hospital for observation.
(b) She gives Fran drugs, and sends her home.
(c) She tells Fran not to worry, the problem is not as serious as she thinks.
(d) She recommends a Caesarian section.
4. What did Armando do when he was 17?
(a) Got a girl pregnant.
(b) Dropped out of high school.
(c) Crashed his car.
(d) Left his family to look for odd jobs.
5. What does Patrick's illness do to him?
(a) It makes him unable to digest seeds and vegetable matter.
(b) It makes him unable to absorb nutrition from the food he eats.
(c) It makes his intestines unable to extract the water from the food he eats.
(d) Waste stays in his intestines, and damages his intestinal tissue.
6. Who raises the question of whether to withdraw Patrick's IV line?
7. What are Patrick's doctors supposed to do, given his status?
(a) They are required to stop treatment if he goes into cardiac arrest.
(b) They are required to do all they can to save his life.
(c) They are allowed to continue treatment under certain circumstances.
(d) They can do whatever they think is right, given the situation.
8. What happened to Armando?
(a) He was shot.
(b) He was walking, and was hit by a car.
(c) He fell off of a ladder.
(d) He was driving a car, and hit a tree.
9. Who wrote the note at the beginning of Chapter 5?
(a) Armando Dimas.
(b) Lin Weeks.
(c) Sally Olsen.
(d) Teresa Knapper.
10. What do Fran and Carey begin to worry about, as the weeks go on?
(a) When they will be able to bring Taylor home.
(b) Whether they should transfer Taylor to another hospital.
(c) How long they should keep Taylor on treatment.
(d) How they can pay Taylor's medical bills.
11. Why are the hospital staff concerned about Armando's care?
(a) They need special equipment to be able to care for him.
(b) They are unsure if they can provide the quality of care that he needs.
(c) They are not certain that their doctors are experienced enough to handle his case.
(d) With no prospect of recovery, they're not sure the cost of his care can be justified.
12. How does Patrick feel about the hospital?
(a) He sees it as a second home.
(b) He prefers it to his home.
(c) He despises it.
(d) He doesn't like it, but tolerates it well.
13. How much time has Patrick spent in the hospital?
(a) He has spent very little time in the hospital; most of his care is outpatient.
(b) He has spent a total of about one year in the hospital.
(c) He has spent a total of about five years in the hospital.
(d) He has spent more time in the hospital than out of it.
14. How does Patrick feel about his condition?
(a) He hates living the way he does, and is, at times, suicidal.
(b) He doesn't really understand the severity of his condition.
(c) He tries not to focus on it, and just wants to be normal.
(d) He is hyper-aware of his condition, to the point of being a hypochondriac.
15. What is the biggest risk involving Patrick's IV line?
(a) It can get infected.
(b) It needs to be closely monitored.
(c) It can interfere with his breathing.
(d) It is very expensive to maintain.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Oria Dismuke described?
2. How many members are on the ethics committee at Hermann?
3. Why doesn't Patrick's doctor want to give him surgery?
4. What is the main focus of the Ethics Committee?
5. How many people are at the meeting in Chapter 3?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)