|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Fran's obstetrician?
(a) Sally Olsen.
(b) Sharon Crandell.
(c) Eugene Adcock.
(d) Jane Reed.
2. What does Patrick's illness do to him?
(a) Waste stays in his intestines, and damages his intestinal tissue.
(b) It makes him unable to digest seeds and vegetable matter.
(c) It makes him unable to absorb nutrition from the food he eats.
(d) It makes his intestines unable to extract the water from the food he eats.
3. Who are the people at the meeting in Chapter 3?
(a) Specialists who are consulting about Patrick's treatment.
(b) Renowned pediatricians from other hospitals.
(c) Financial administrators at the hospital.
(d) People who know Patrick best.
4. What does Sally claim to be able to do?
(a) Anticipate the deaths of her patients.
(b) Establish relationships that get patients to confide in her.
(c) Diagnose patients just by looking at them.
(d) Speak to the ghosts of her deceased patients.
5. What happened to Armando as a result of this misfortune?
(a) He eventually died.
(b) His left side was paralyzed.
(c) He had both legs amputated.
(d) He was paralyzed from the chin down.
6. How many members are on the ethics committee at Hermann?
7. Why doesn't Patrick's doctor want to give him surgery?
(a) It is expensive, and his insurance won't cover it.
(b) He's not sure it's completely necessary.
(c) It is risky, and will only lead to a new infection.
(d) He isn't sure that he is qualified to do it.
8. What ethical issue does the Committee debate focus on?
(a) Whether it is right to withdraw life support if Patrick's mother can't pay, considering the hospital's already massive debt.
(b) Whether withdrawing Patrick's life support is "giving up," or letting nature take its course.
(c) How Patrick should be told that his mother has decided to withdraw his life support.
(d) Whether Patrick should stay at the hospital, or go somewhere else.
9. Who is Victoria Dimas?
(a) Armando's mother.
(b) Armando's doctor.
(c) A cafeteria worker.
(d) The head nurse.
10. What is the main focus of the Ethics Committee?
(a) Finding ways to help patients' families.
(b) The withdrawal of life support.
(c) Handling malpractice complaints.
(d) Ensuring the ethical practices of doctors.
11. What did Armando do when he was 17?
(a) Got a girl pregnant.
(b) Crashed his car.
(c) Dropped out of high school.
(d) Left his family to look for odd jobs.
12. What do Fran and Carey want to do with Taylor at the end of Chapter 6?
(a) They want to take her off the ventilator and see how she does.
(b) They want to move her to another hospital.
(c) They want to put her on a DNR.
(d) They want to bring her home and let her die in peace.
13. What happens when Oria tries to broach the subject of death with Patrick?
(a) He gets so upset, he is almost inconsolable.
(b) He doesn't seem as concerned as she thinks he should be.
(c) He speaks in a mature, matter-of-fact manner about what he thinks will happen.
(d) He refuses to talk about it, and she never brings it up again.
14. Who is Virginia Lennox?
(a) Taylor's aunt.
(b) One of the nurses in the NICU.
(c) Taylor's doctor.
(d) Taylor's social worker.
15. What happens on the last day of May?
(a) Fran undergoes a Caesarian section.
(b) Fran goes in for her last prenatal check-up.
(c) One of the twins dies.
(d) Taylor and Jake are born.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Fran and Carey feel about Taylor's new doctor?
2. How many people are at the meeting in Chapter 3?
3. How is Taylor's appearance described?
4. What happens to Patrick's line, as a result of his tampering?
5. What is the significance of Patrick's medical chart?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)