|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who debates the question of Patrick's surgery and medical status?
(a) Specialists from other hospitals.
(b) His doctor and parents.
(c) The ethics committee.
(d) His doctor and nurses.
2. What happened to Armando?
(a) He was driving a car, and hit a tree.
(b) He was walking, and was hit by a car.
(c) He fell off of a ladder.
(d) He was shot.
3. How does Javier feel about Patrick?
(a) He is attached to Patrick, and this burdens him because he is also responsible for all of the other children at the hospital.
(b) He thinks he is too demanding, and at times paranoid about his condition.
(c) He is more attached to him than the other hospital staff.
(d) He is not sure if he thinks Patrick is spoiled, or simply attention-starved.
4. What do the doctors have to do to Taylor and Jake?
(a) Put them on a ventilator.
(b) Put them into detox.
(c) Give them steroids.
(d) Give them antibiotics.
5. How old is Patrick Dismuke?
6. Who is Virginia Lennox?
(a) Taylor's aunt.
(b) Taylor's social worker.
(c) One of the nurses in the NICU.
(d) Taylor's doctor.
7. How does Patrick feel about his condition?
(a) He doesn't really understand the severity of his condition.
(b) He tries not to focus on it, and just wants to be normal.
(c) He hates living the way he does, and is, at times, suicidal.
(d) He is hyper-aware of his condition, to the point of being a hypochondriac.
8. What does Teresa want to do?
(a) Cut funding for uninsured or underinsured patient care.
(b) Establish new guidelines for withdrawing life support from patients.
(c) Donate money to the pediatric wing of the hospital.
(d) Participate in the ethics committee at Hermann.
9. What is Taylor's biggest health problem?
(b) Cerebral palsy.
(d) Underdeveloped lungs.
10. What system in Patrick's body is affected by his disease?
(a) His central nervous system.
(b) His digestive tract.
(c) His circulatory system.
(d) His immune system.
11. What is wrong with Taylor and Jake?
(a) They are conjoined.
(b) Their lungs are underdeveloped.
(c) They have a congenital birth defect.
(d) They have a genetic disorder.
12. What ethical issue does the Committee debate focus on?
(a) How Patrick should be told that his mother has decided to withdraw his life support.
(b) Whether it is right to withdraw life support if Patrick's mother can't pay, considering the hospital's already massive debt.
(c) Whether withdrawing Patrick's life support is "giving up," or letting nature take its course.
(d) Whether Patrick should stay at the hospital, or go somewhere else.
13. What happens to Jake?
(a) He is baptized, and dies soon after.
(b) He is put on the list for a lung transplant.
(c) He undergoes several surgeries.
(d) He contracts meningitis.
14. How does Armando's family feel about his condition?
(a) Due to a language barrier, they are unable to fully understand it.
(b) He is much worse than they had imagined.
(c) They are relieved that it isn't as bad as they feared.
(d) They are unaware of his condition.
15. What is the main focus of the Ethics Committee?
(a) Handling malpractice complaints.
(b) Finding ways to help patients' families.
(c) Ensuring the ethical practices of doctors.
(d) The withdrawal of life support.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who raises the question of whether to withdraw Patrick's IV line?
2. Why doesn't Oria want the medical team to tell Patrick about how serious his condition is?
3. What happened to Mark?
4. How does Patrick feel about the hospital?
5. How many members are on the ethics committee at Hermann?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)