|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Taylor's appearance described?
(a) She looks stronger every day.
(b) She looks like a normal baby.
(c) She is tiny, and covered with tubes and electrodes.
(d) She looks healthy, despite all of the equipment surrounding her.
2. What is Patrick's home like?
(a) He lives with his grandmother in a small, dark house in the poorest part of town.
(b) He lives with his aunt and uncle, in a large house with a big yard.
(c) He lives with his parents, in a comfortable home.
(d) He lives in a foster home.
3. Who debates the question of Patrick's surgery and medical status?
(a) Specialists from other hospitals.
(b) His doctor and parents.
(c) The ethics committee.
(d) His doctor and nurses.
4. What ethical issue does the Committee debate focus on?
(a) Whether Patrick should stay at the hospital, or go somewhere else.
(b) Whether withdrawing Patrick's life support is "giving up," or letting nature take its course.
(c) Whether it is right to withdraw life support if Patrick's mother can't pay, considering the hospital's already massive debt.
(d) How Patrick should be told that his mother has decided to withdraw his life support.
5. What does Fran's obstetrician do for her at her last check-up?
(a) She gives Fran drugs, and sends her home.
(b) She tells Fran not to worry, the problem is not as serious as she thinks.
(c) She recommends a Caesarian section.
(d) She admits her to the hospital for observation.
6. What is the significance of Patrick's medical chart?
(a) It tracks his life as a series of medical events.
(b) It shows how little involvement his parents have had in his care.
(c) It details the rarity of his illness, and the many doctors who have attempted to cure him.
(d) It shows that the hospital has tried every treatment available, without success.
7. When Sharon is rotated out, who is Taylor's new doctor?
(a) Richard Wright.
(b) Eugene Adcock.
(c) Virginia Lennox.
(d) Lin Weeks.
8. When does the ethics committee usually meet?
(a) Once per week.
(b) When an end-of-life issue arises.
(c) When a patient's family asks them for help.
(d) At the beginning of each fiscal year.
9. What is Teresa's profession?
10. How does Fran get to the hospital?
(a) By car.
(b) On foot.
(c) By helicopter.
(d) By ambulance.
11. What do the doctors think Armando's chances of recovery are?
(a) Very high.
(b) Very low.
(c) Fairly high.
12. How does Patrick feel about the hospital?
(a) He despises it.
(b) He doesn't like it, but tolerates it well.
(c) He sees it as a second home.
(d) He prefers it to his home.
13. What does Sally claim to be able to do?
(a) Speak to the ghosts of her deceased patients.
(b) Diagnose patients just by looking at them.
(c) Establish relationships that get patients to confide in her.
(d) Anticipate the deaths of her patients.
14. Why do Fran and Carey dislike Sharon Crandell?
(a) Because they disagree with her diagnosis, and treatment suggestions.
(b) They think that she is too emotionally involved to make good decisions.
(c) Because of her cold and businesslike demeanor.
(d) Because they don't think she has the required experience.
15. What happens to Taylor?
(a) She gets pneumonia.
(b) She goes home with Fran and Carey.
(c) She dies.
(d) She lives, but must remain on the ventilator in the hospital.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Fran's obstetrician?
2. What is Patrick's central IV line for?
3. How does Javier feel about Patrick?
4. How does Sharon react to discussing Taylor's treatment?
5. Which patient is the subject of the June chapter, Chapter 2?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)