|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Sally Olsen?
(a) Patrick's doctor.
(b) The hospital's financial administrator.
(c) Patrick's social worker.
(d) Javier's assistant.
2. How old is Patrick Dismuke?
3. What status is the committee considering giving to Patrick?
(a) Priority status on the list of potential organ recipients.
(b) High-priority care status.
(c) DNR, or "Do Not Resuscitate."
(d) A recipient of pro bono charity care.
4. What happened to Matthew?
(a) He died after two days.
(b) He was healthy.
(c) He had cerebral palsy.
(d) He was stillborn.
5. Why does Sharon Crandell act the way she does with her patients and their families?
(a) She emphasizes the positive side of things, to encourage optimism in her patients.
(b) She gets emotionally involved to avoid seeing her patients in an impersonal and scientific way.
(c) She became a doctor because enjoyed the science, not because she truly wanted to help people.
(d) She thinks she is treating her patients with respect by being so honest.
6. What do the doctors think Armando's chances of recovery are?
(b) Fairly high.
(c) Very low.
(d) Very high.
7. Why do Fran and Carey dislike Sharon Crandell?
(a) Because they disagree with her diagnosis, and treatment suggestions.
(b) Because they don't think she has the required experience.
(c) They think that she is too emotionally involved to make good decisions.
(d) Because of her cold and businesslike demeanor.
8. What is wrong with Taylor and Jake?
(a) They have a congenital birth defect.
(b) They are conjoined.
(c) Their lungs are underdeveloped.
(d) They have a genetic disorder.
9. What system in Patrick's body is affected by his disease?
(a) His digestive tract.
(b) His circulatory system.
(c) His central nervous system.
(d) His immune system.
10. How is Oria Dismuke described?
(a) Exhausted by her work, and depressed about her son.
(b) Compassionate, but not very intelligent.
(c) A good mother, who does everything she can for her son.
(d) Oblivious of her son's suffering, caring only about herself.
11. How does Javier feel about Patrick?
(a) He thinks he is too demanding, and at times paranoid about his condition.
(b) He is not sure if he thinks Patrick is spoiled, or simply attention-starved.
(c) He is attached to Patrick, and this burdens him because he is also responsible for all of the other children at the hospital.
(d) He is more attached to him than the other hospital staff.
12. What happens on the last day of May?
(a) Fran goes in for her last prenatal check-up.
(b) One of the twins dies.
(c) Fran undergoes a Caesarian section.
(d) Taylor and Jake are born.
13. How does Sharon react to discussing Taylor's treatment?
(a) She is resistant to discussing it.
(b) She gets emotional, and has difficulty answering the Poarchs' questions.
(c) She refuses to discuss it.
(d) She is warm and caring when answering the Poarchs' questions.
14. Who is looking at the note at the beginning of Chapter 5?
(a) Sharon Crandell.
(b) Eugene Adcock.
(c) Javier and Sally.
(d) Lin Weeks and her secretary.
15. What is Taylor's biggest health problem?
(b) Cerebral palsy.
(c) Underdeveloped lungs.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Taylor's appearance described?
2. What doctor do Fran and Carey meet when they get to the hospital?
3. How do the members of the ethics committee feel about one another?
4. What is the most important criterion of Patrick's status?
5. How long has Patrick been in and out of the hospital?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)