|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How often do patients' families follow the advice of the ethics committee?
2. How old is Armando?
3. What ethical issue does the Committee debate focus on?
(a) Whether it is right to withdraw life support if Patrick's mother can't pay, considering the hospital's already massive debt.
(b) How Patrick should be told that his mother has decided to withdraw his life support.
(c) Whether Patrick should stay at the hospital, or go somewhere else.
(d) Whether withdrawing Patrick's life support is "giving up," or letting nature take its course.
4. What do the doctors have to do to Taylor and Jake?
(a) Put them into detox.
(b) Put them on a ventilator.
(c) Give them antibiotics.
(d) Give them steroids.
5. How does Fran get to the hospital?
(a) By car.
(b) By helicopter.
(c) On foot.
(d) By ambulance.
6. What is Taylor's biggest health problem?
(a) Cerebral palsy.
(c) Underdeveloped lungs.
7. Who is Victoria Dimas?
(a) The head nurse.
(b) Armando's doctor.
(c) A cafeteria worker.
(d) Armando's mother.
8. How do the members of the ethics committee feel about one another?
(a) They are suspicious of, and spread rumors about, one another.
(b) They are rarely together, and aren't comfortable with one another.
(c) They all know each other quite well, and are comfortable with speaking honestly and openly to each other.
(d) There are several members of the committee who refuse to work with some of the others.
9. How does Patrick feel about the hospital staff?
(a) He likes some, but not others.
(b) He likes them all.
(c) He is emotionally dependent on them.
(d) He likes very few of them.
10. What happened to Armando the night he left for Madisonville?
(a) He got into a bar fight.
(b) He was shot.
(c) His car was stolen.
(d) He had an argument with his parents.
11. How do Fran and Carey feel about Taylor's new doctor?
(a) They don't really care either way.
(b) They dislike him/her as much as they disliked Sharon.
(c) They want Sharon back.
(d) They connect much better.
12. What has gone wrong that might induce premature labor for Fran?
(a) She took too much aspirin.
(b) She gave herself a hernia lifting something heavy.
(c) Her cervix has thinned.
(d) She has diabetes.
13. What does Patrick's illness do to him?
(a) Waste stays in his intestines, and damages his intestinal tissue.
(b) It makes his intestines unable to extract the water from the food he eats.
(c) It makes him unable to absorb nutrition from the food he eats.
(d) It makes him unable to digest seeds and vegetable matter.
14. What happens on the last day of May?
(a) Fran undergoes a Caesarian section.
(b) Taylor and Jake are born.
(c) One of the twins dies.
(d) Fran goes in for her last prenatal check-up.
15. What system in Patrick's body is affected by his disease?
(a) His digestive tract.
(b) His immune system.
(c) His circulatory system.
(d) His central nervous system.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Oria want the medical team to tell Patrick about how serious his condition is?
2. Why doesn't Patrick's doctor want to give him surgery?
3. What is Teresa's profession?
4. Which of the babies is in worse health?
5. How does Patrick feel about his condition?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)