|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ram Lal tell Raka they make in the factories?
2. What is Tara’s daughter’s name?
3. Where does Asha wish to send her daughter over the summer?
4. What is Tara’s daughter recovering from, according to the letter in Chapter 4?
5. When was Nanda’s house built?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 2, what does the year 1947 signify in regards to Carignano?
2. Why did Nanda move to Carignano?
3. What does Ram Lal tell Raka of the house that had burned in a forest fire in a the end of Part II, Chapter 6?
4. How does Nanda feel at the end of Part I about the possibility of Ila Das visiting Carignano?
5. What does the name Raka mean, and how does Nanda feel about that at the start of Part II?
6. What does Ram Lal tell Raka about the snake she tells him she saw in Part II, Chapter 6?
7. What does Ram Lal tell Raka about the Pasteur Institute and why she should not go there at night?
8. Describe Nanda’s feelings toward Ila Das based on their phone call in Part I, Chapter 6?
9. Why does Nanda send Ram Lal to the taxi stand to meet Raka when she first arrives rather than going herself?
10. What is Nanda reading in Part I, Chapter 8 and what does it say?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay discussing the author’s narrative tone and writing style. Use direct examples from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the Kasauli club’s purpose in Fire on the Mountain. What does the club symbolize or represent, and how do scenes which include the club help move the narrative forward?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay comparing Nanda’s life at the Vice Chancellor’s to her life in Carignano.
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)