|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who were the party throwing owners of Carignano who lived there just prior to Nanda moving in?
2. What is Tara’s daughter recovering from, according to the letter in Chapter 4?
3. What is the main character of Fire on the Mountain’s name?
4. According to the description in Chapter 5, how did others view Nanda when she lived in the Vice Chancellor’s house?
5. Which of her children is Nanda’s letter from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ram Lal tell Raka of the house that had burned in a forest fire in a the end of Part II, Chapter 6?
2. What is Nanda reading in Part I, Chapter 8 and what does it say?
3. How does Nanda feel about Asha’s request to have Raka stay with her in Carignano for the summer?
4. How do Raka and Nanda behave toward one another when Raka first arrives as described in Part II, Chapter 4?
5. What about Ram Lal and the postman’s walk up the hill irritates Nanda?
6. Why does Nanda send Ram Lal to the taxi stand to meet Raka when she first arrives rather than going herself?
7. The end of Part I, Chapter 7 tells of the Vice Chancellor dropping off a guest at her home. What does this description hint at to the reader?
8. When Nanda receives the letter, how does she think she will respond regardless of the request?
9. Why did Nanda move to Carignano?
10. In Chapter 1, why does Nanda Kaul hope the postman does not stop at her house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay explaining how the title of the novel supports the overall narrative tone and themes.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the significance of the scene Raka witnesses at the Kasauli Club in Part II, Chapters 10 and 11.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the women who lived at Carignano before Nanda. What do the various people who inhabited Carignano before Nanda tell the reader about the history of the area?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)