|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The train station is hung with black cloth because of the death of _______________.
2. How does Richard describe Sue?
3. What does Maud hate about her gloves?
4. What is Richard's real plan to do with Sue after the hoax is complete?
5. Sue was ___________ by the movie in question 8.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sue think of Maud while they are outside by Maud's mother's grave?
2. How is Maud the morning after her wedding night?
3. How does Maud feel about this plan and what does she ultimately decide to do?
4. What does Maud ask of Sue and how does Sue respond?
5. What happens when Richard, Sue and Maud arrive at the insane asylum?
6. What does Sue do to introduce Maud to some normal activities and why does she do so?
7. Briefly describe Sue's trip and arrival at Briar.
8. What is Sue's reaction to the play OLIVER TWIST and what does Mrs. Sucksby do?
9. What is the result of the lovemaking between Sue and Maud?
10. How does Gentleman prepare Sue for her part in the swindle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sue's journey back to Briar is made in the light. Maud has scraped the paint from the windows of the library to let in the light. In the light of the fire, truth has at last conquered the darkness and fog of ignorance.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think the truth will always come out in life? Why or why not?
3. Do you think light and truth will always conquer darkness? Does good always triumph? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
She remains silent, realizing that she cannot reject Richard's plan lest she lose everything, including Sue, and spend the rest of her life at Briar. She convinces herself that it is love that makes her move ahead with the plan that will harm Sue.
1. Why do you think Maud believes she is carrying out Richard's plan because of love? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Maud is lying to herself, convincing herself that what she does is better for Sue. What do you think is the differences in consequences between lying to yourself and lying to others? Use examples from the book and your life to support your answer.
3. Do you think the fact that Maud has to rationalize her behavior means she's not a bad person? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Sue feels sorry for Maud, and the future that awaits her in the madhouse. Yet Sue remains resolute in her plan to assist Gentleman in his plot to destroy her.
1. Why do you think Sue is still planning to destroy Maud even though she feels sorry for her?
2. Do you think that destroying Maud will make Sue a totally bad person? Why or why not?
3. Do you think if you were poor you could do what Sue plans to do? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,185 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)