|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who devised the entire scheme about the inheritance?
(a) Sue's aunt
(b) John Vroom
(c) the Gentleman
(d) Mrs. Sucksby
2. Who does Maud decide to turn to for help?
(a) the Queen
(b) Charles the knife boy
(c) Mr. Lilly
(d) Mr. Hawtrey
3. What card falls out when Sue is telling Maud her fortune?
(a) queen of hearts
(b) two of hearts
(c) jack of clubs
(d) ace of spades
4. Where does Maud run to when she escapes Mrs. Sucksby's house?
(a) to find Mr. Hawtrey on Holywell Street
(b) to the insane asylum to get Sue
(c) to the police
(d) back to her uncle's house
5. After Richard's arrival, Maud resumes her ___________________.
(a) riding lessons
(b) reading to her uncle
(c) grieving for her mother
(d) painting lessons
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maud give Charles for Sue when Charles comes to the door of Mrs. Sucksby's house?
2. What does Maud steal from her uncle's bedroom while he is asleep?
3. How does Sue use her playing cards?
4. What does Maud decide to do about her situation?
5. What is Agnes' parting admonishment to Maud?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Richard, Maud and Sue are out on the grounds and Richard observes Maud watching Sue sleep?
2. What does Sue say to Maud the first night she is in the bed with Maud and what is Maud's reaction?
3. Why is it ironic that Maud eats and drinks at Mrs. Sucksby's house?
4. What happens when Maud finally escapes?
5. How does Sue feel about Maud, who was partially responsible for Sue being in the asylum?
6. How is Sue's experience at the insane asylum similar to that of Maud at her uncle's house?
7. What changes Maud during the night after the outing and what does Maud do about it?
8. When Richard returns from London, what must Maud commit herself to doing in the time left before her escape?
9. What does Maud think about as she readies for her escape from Briar?
10. How does Maud react to being at the house on Lant Street and how does Richard react to Maud's accusations?
This section contains 1,118 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)