|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Sue's main job at Briar?
(a) To cook and serve meals.
(b) To read to Maud several hours each day.
(c) To exercise Maud's horse.
(d) To sit awake all night and be ready to help Maud.
2. Sue compares the warm kitchen of her home at Mrs. Sucksby's to that of ______________.
(a) Oliver Twist's home
(b) her childhood home
3. What will Richard offer Sue for her agreement to participate in his and Maud's scheme?
(a) a job in their household for better pay
(b) a small portion of Maud's inheritance
(c) twenty pounds a month for life
(d) half of the money they gain
4. Mr. Ibbs deals in
(b) poker games
(c) stolen goods
5. What does Sue realize about Maud's feelings for Richard?
(a) that Maud is deeply in love with him
(b) that Maud is afraid of him
(c) that Maud feels contemptuous of Richard
(d) that Maud is indifferent to Richard
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reason Maud believes her uncles will not allow her to marry Richard?
2. What symbolic event happens just as Richard and Maud return to the home after painting out of doors?
3. What is the main subject of the books in Maud's uncle's library?
4. Why does Maud relate the story of her early life to the reader?
5. Richard Rivers upsets Maud by asking her about what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Maud do after dinner?
2. Describe the effect of her uncle's training upon Maud.
3. What does Richard know about Maud and tells her when he climbs up to her room?
4. What does Sue do to introduce Maud to some normal activities and why does she do so?
5. How does Maud feel about this plan and what does she ultimately decide to do?
6. What are the circumstances of Sue's mother's death?
7. What is Sue's reaction to the play OLIVER TWIST and what does Mrs. Sucksby do?
8. What happens in this chapter that foreshadows what happens at the insane asylum?
9. What does the reader learn about the people Gentleman plans to swindle?
10. How does Richard prepare for committing Maud to the insane asylum?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)