|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Maud hate about her gloves?
(a) the fingers are too short for her
(b) when they get dirty or stained
(c) the color
(d) they go up to her elbow
2. When Sue awakens the first morning at Briar, she notices that ___________.
(a) There is evidence of water damage on the ceilings and walls.
(b) Coffee and doughnuts are on her bedside table.
(c) Everyone is outside watching the Queen arrive.
(d) No one has reset the clock to daylight savings time.
3. Mr. Ibbs deals in
(a) stolen goods
(c) poker games
4. What bewilders Maud when she arrives at Briar?
(a) the dirt and grime
(b) how to use the bath
(c) the stillness of the house
(d) the paintings in the foyer
5. How is Richard going to gain access to Maud's home?
(a) by pretending to be a workman
(b) through a secret entrance in the basement
(c) obtain a job mounting Maud's uncle's artwork
(d) by offering Mr. Lilly free pornography
6. What is the occupation of the alleged doctors who Richard calls in for a consultation?
7. What symbolic event happens just as Richard and Maud return to the home after painting out of doors?
(a) the church bells ring
(b) two turtle doves fly overhead
(c) a storm
(d) fog moves in from the bog
8. Mrs. Sucksby tells Sue that Sue's mother would be _________ of what Sue is going to do at the Lillys' house.
9. Maud wakes in the middle of the night and is ________________.
10. The train station is hung with black cloth because of the death of _______________.
(a) Prince Albert
(b) Queen Victoria
(c) Winston Churchill
(d) many Londoners due to a terriorist attack
11. Maud is ______________________when Sue goes in to her the next morning.
(a) talkative and curious
(b) excited and joyful
(c) seemingly out of place in her own skin
12. Why do the servants cut short their dinner?
(a) Mr. Lilly cannot afford to feed them any longer
(b) they must place sandbags to keep water out of the basement
(c) they learn it is poisoned
(d) an airraid occurs
13. What does Mr. Lilly require Maud to wear?
(a) a hat
(b) old-fashioned clothing
(c) a retainer
14. Sue compares Maud to __________.
(a) a worm
(b) Sue's mother
(c) fake diamonds
(d) a pearl
15. Maud continues to ask Sue to _________________.
(a) run errands into town
(b) steal cookies from the kitchen for her
(c) read Maud fairy tales
(d) sleep in the bed with her
Short Answer Questions
1. Richard Rivers upsets Maud by asking her about what?
2. The staff of Briar benefits from ________________.
3. Sue compares the warm kitchen of her home at Mrs. Sucksby's to that of ______________.
4. What does Sue do to encourage Maud to look favorably upon Richard?
5. Why does Sue teach Maud about some normal activities of life?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)