Part 1, Chapter 1
• Part One of FINGERSMITH is comprised of Sue's memory of the events related in the book. It is written in Sue's voice and from her point of view.
• Sue relates her memory of a series of events that occurred when she was 5 or 6 years old. She had been taken by a thief to beg at a local theater.
• Mrs. Sucksby was particularly fond of Sue and protected her from much of the harshness and risk of a petty thief's life in the Borough.
• Pregnant, Sue's mother came to the house of Mrs. Sucksby and Mr. Ibbs seeking a safe haven in which she could give birth to her child.
• About a month after Sue's birth her mother went on one last job that went badly. She was caught and hanged.
• Life in the slums of the Borough in London is related through the eyes of a...
This section contains 3,649 words
(approx. 13 pages at 300 words per page)