|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was inside the Second Pyramid?
2. What was displaced when the crust shifted?
3. What does the chart on page 472 show?
4. How many degrees are allocated on the elliptic for each constellation?
5. How frequently do the planets line up in the order, on the same date, that the Mayans predicted the Fifth Sun ends?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Hancock determine that the ancient Egyptians' astronomical observation and knowledge of solar system mechanics was clearer than assumed in Chapter 42?
2. What is eccentricity?
3. Was Hipparchus the first to know about precession?
4. What theory is the focus of Chapter 51?
5. What accounts for differing ideas of when the Sphinx was built?
6. What is the obliquity of the ecliptic?
7. In Chapter 36, which explanation for the pyramids with empty coffins is the most plausible?
8. What message did Hancock wish to send to mankind in Chapter 52?
9. What two aspects of the Great Pyramid remain a mystery?
10. In Chapter 39, why do you think the Egyptians didn't cut the limestone into smaller pieces to make it easier to move?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the ramifications of Hancock's discoveries about the history of Antarctica and the South Pole? How do they relate to contemporary environmental concerns?
Essay Topic 2
What was Hancock's view of the history of ancient civilizations' abilities, and what happened to these civilizations?
Essay Topic 3
Why is the Giza necropolis in Chapter 49 referred to as "a machine that stimulates questions"? How did the author test this theory?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)