|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the boats on Suriqui Island resemble?
2. When was Machu Pichu discovered?
3. What did Quetzalcoatl's formulas provide?
4. When could longitude first be determined?
5. How many stories were discovered world-wide about mankind's near annihilation in Chapter 24?
Short Essay Questions
1. What evidence is there that the Nazcan were astronomers?
2. What happened to the hardy, cold-adapted animals during the Ice Age?
3. Why did the Ancient Mexican civilizations believe sacrificing children would delay the destruction of the world?
4. Describe how the Andes viewed Viracocha.
5. Describe the god Viracocha's appearance.
6. How and why were the Nazca able to accomplish what they did with their lines?
7. How could the same type of vessel used in the Nile also appear in Lake Titicaca?
8. Why is it especially unusual that longitude could have been determined accurately long before the marine chronometer was invented?
9. What is the god Quetzalcoatl known for?
10. How is the origin of the Mayan's advanced learning explained?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
According to the book, if modern civilization were to be wiped out and discovered in thousands of years, what artifacts would be found?
Essay Topic 2
How did Hancock think seemingly primitive peoples like the Nazcans managed to develop an understanding of astronomy, as evidenced by the spider drawing that parallels the Orion constellation?
Essay Topic 3
What was the author's main thesis statement, as summarized at the end of the book? What knowledge and experience did he use throughout the book to back up his assertions?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)