Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is "Flight of the Condor"?
2. Where did the story of Gilgamesh take place?
3. When was the Antarctic ice cap discovered?
4. According to Chapter 26, how many years ago did Ice Age glaciation begin?
5. What did the Piri Reis Map precisely locate?
Short Essay Questions
1. How were the findings of the Oronteus Finaeus Map verified?
2. How and why were the Nazca able to accomplish what they did with their lines?
3. What accounts for differing ideas of when the Sphinx was built?
4. What happened to the hardy, cold-adapted animals during the Ice Age?
5. Why is it believed that the Tiahuanaco culture was able to migrate after a catastrophe, whereas so many other cultures were wiped out by them?
6. Explain why seasons occur in different hemispheres.
7. What is the cycle of precession?
8. What explains the fluctuations in Egyptian agriculture, as explored in Chapter 46?
9. What evidence is there in Chapter 27 to indicate that the freeze was sudden?
10. Describe how the Andes viewed Viracocha.
Essay Topic 1
What unsolved mysteries did the author discuss in the book? How did he go about trying to solve them? What appears to be his motivation for uncovering information that might seem trivial to the average person?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapters 33 through 39, the author seemed to have trouble understanding the mindset of a people (the ancient Egyptians) that would go to such extraordinary lengths to incorporate perfect engineering accuracy into their structures. What possibilities did he consider, and what did he ultimately conclude?
Essay Topic 3
What did Hancock learn about the Nazca people and their beliefs and values, based on the permanent drawings in the desert they left behind for posterity?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)