Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is "Flight of the Condor"?
2. Where did the story of Gilgamesh take place?
3. When was the Antarctic ice cap discovered?
4. According to Chapter 26, how many years ago did Ice Age glaciation begin?
5. What did the Piri Reis Map precisely locate?
Short Essay Questions
1. How were the findings of the Oronteus Finaeus Map verified?
2. How and why were the Nazca able to accomplish what they did with their lines?
3. What accounts for differing ideas of when the Sphinx was built?
4. What happened to the hardy, cold-adapted animals during the Ice Age?
5. Why is it believed that the Tiahuanaco culture was able to migrate after a catastrophe, whereas so many other cultures were wiped out by them?
6. Explain why seasons occur in different hemispheres.
7. What is the cycle of precession?
8. What explains the fluctuations in Egyptian agriculture, as explored in Chapter 46?
9. What evidence is there in Chapter 27 to indicate that the freeze was sudden?
10. Describe how the Andes viewed Viracocha.
Essay Topic 1
What role do deities play in the book? In what different places do you find deities that are similar in appearance and action? What do they tell us about ancient religion?
Essay Topic 2
What did Hancock learn about the Nazca people and their beliefs and values, based on the permanent drawings in the desert they left behind for posterity?
Essay Topic 3
Why were Hancock and others so concerned with the exact dates in which things occurred, and with challenging those dates when new evidence was brought forth?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)