|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the theory of earth-crust displacement responsible for?
2. What could the First Men see?
3. Who was Quetzalcoatl?
4. How did the Mayans get a complex accurate calendar?
5. Where did the story of Utnapishtim take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. How could the same type of vessel used in the Nile also appear in Lake Titicaca?
2. In the Introduction, why did Hancock study the Admiral Piri Reis Map?
3. What happened to the hardy, cold-adapted animals during the Ice Age?
4. What is the god Quetzalcoatl known for?
5. Why are stories of floods so universal?
6. Describe the god Viracocha's appearance.
7. Describe how the Andes viewed Viracocha.
8. What was Viracocha credited with bringing to Peru?
9. According to Chapter 27, what happened to animals during the Ice Age?
10. Should the Olmecs' homeland have been destroyed by oil interests?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are historical and ancient maps used throughout the book? What information do they provide, and in what cases do they disprove earlier assumptions? What is a map, and what power can it possess beyond merely providing a picture of or directions to a place?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapters 33 through 39, the author seemed to have trouble understanding the mindset of a people (the ancient Egyptians) that would go to such extraordinary lengths to incorporate perfect engineering accuracy into their structures. What possibilities did he consider, and what did he ultimately conclude?
Essay Topic 3
What was Hancock's belief about the meaning ascribed to ancient myths and legends?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)