|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the Mayans get a complex accurate calendar?
2. What overlooked a sunken temple in Chapter 10?
3. According to Chapter 27, what happened to the hardy, cold-adapted animals in Siberia during the Ice Age?
4. What is the Iranian cataclysm?
5. What did Quetzalcoatl forbid?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the explanation for early maps showing widely separated parts of the Earth?
2. Should the Olmecs' homeland have been destroyed by oil interests?
3. Why are Mercator-type maps especially notable?
4. According to Chapter 27, what happened to animals during the Ice Age?
5. Why is it especially unusual that longitude could have been determined accurately long before the marine chronometer was invented?
6. Is the theory of Earth-crust displacement plausible?
7. How is the origin of the Mayan's advanced learning explained?
8. Why are stories of floods so universal?
9. What is the significance of the fact that so many things about the Earth seem to have been discovered long before modern man officially discovered them?
10. What tends to accompany stories of ice ages?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how the Mayan calendar predicts the end of the world in 2012, and many other ancient myths contain a similar warning. What did Hancock think we should do with this information?
Essay Topic 2
How are historical and ancient maps used throughout the book? What information do they provide, and in what cases do they disprove earlier assumptions? What is a map, and what power can it possess beyond merely providing a picture of or directions to a place?
Essay Topic 3
How does this book treat the theory of evolution?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)