|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years of darkness did the ancient Mayans experience?
2. What are Mercator projections?
3. What type of weapon did the god of the Andes have?
4. What is "Ricinulei"?
5. What natural disasters accompany the Mayan myths?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Chapter 27, what happened to animals during the Ice Age?
2. In the Introduction, what was Hancock trying to determine?
3. What evidence is there that the Nazcan were astronomers?
4. Based on Chapter 26, what is currently known about the history of the Ice Age?
5. Why is it especially unusual that longitude could have been determined accurately long before the marine chronometer was invented?
6. What was Viracocha credited with bringing to Peru?
7. What tends to accompany stories of ice ages?
8. What evidence is there in Chapter 27 to indicate that the freeze was sudden?
9. What was the explanation for early maps showing widely separated parts of the Earth?
10. In Chapter 26, what is relayed about the history of modern man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how the Mayan calendar predicts the end of the world in 2012, and many other ancient myths contain a similar warning. What did Hancock think we should do with this information?
Essay Topic 2
Did the author believe most of the mysteries of changes in the Earth and ancient peoples have already been solved, or did he think that there is still a lot of work to be done in these areas?
Essay Topic 3
Is this book more about the Earth itself or the civilizations who have populated it? Is there a relationship between the two, or are they separate issues that the author explored in his quest to solve mysteries?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)