|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Lake Titicaca located?
2. What could the First Men see?
3. When was the Admiral Piri Reis map drawn?
4. Who invented the tool enabling longitude to be determined?
5. According to the Aztecs, which cycle are we currently in now?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the god Viracocha's appearance.
2. How were the findings of the Oronteus Finaeus Map verified?
3. How and why were the Nazca able to accomplish what they did with their lines?
4. Why is it especially unusual that longitude could have been determined accurately long before the marine chronometer was invented?
5. Why is it believed that the Tiahuanaco culture was able to migrate after a catastrophe, whereas so many other cultures were wiped out by them?
6. What is the god Quetzalcoatl known for?
7. According to Chapter 27, what happened to animals during the Ice Age?
8. Is the theory of Earth-crust displacement plausible?
9. Describe how the Andes viewed Viracocha.
10. According to Chapter 27, what parts of the world were submerged by flooding during the Ice Age?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does it mean that the ancient Egyptians were using pi in their architectural structures long before it was officially discovered? Does this notion support the possibility that many ancient peoples had skills or technology that were officially invented later, or is a mathematical construct a different type of ability?
Essay Topic 2
How are historical and ancient maps used throughout the book? What information do they provide, and in what cases do they disprove earlier assumptions? What is a map, and what power can it possess beyond merely providing a picture of or directions to a place?
Essay Topic 3
What was the author's main thesis statement, as summarized at the end of the book? What knowledge and experience did he use throughout the book to back up his assertions?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)