|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Chapter 31, how did the embedding in the Osiris myth occur?
(c) Through early writing.
(d) Through early migration.
2. What is described in Chapter 51?
(a) The effects of the Ice Age on the continents.
(b) The effects of ocean displacement on the continents.
(c) The effects of evolution on the continents.
(d) The effect of Earth-crust displacement on the continents.
3. What did Hancock wonder about the Great Pyramid in Chapter 37?
(a) Why the builders used such precision on a tomb.
(b) Why the pyramid was not used to bury a pharaoh.
(c) Why the builders used such imprecision on a tomb.
(d) Why the pharaoh was buried in a pyramid.
4. What is a third element of the author's thesis in Chapter 52?
(a) The need to mobilize resources to preserve a remnant for ancestry.
(b) The need to mobilize resources to rebuild ancient civilizations.
(c) The need to bulldoze modern structures so only old ones remain.
(d) The need to protect future generations from knowledge of the past.
5. Who was Ramesses II?
(a) The pharaoh buried in the Seti I Temple.
(b) The father of Seti I.
(c) A Pharaoh before the time of the Biblical Exodus.
(d) The pharaoh during the time of the Biblical Exodus.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many miles per hour does the Earth revolve around the sun?
2. What did the Sun God, Ra, do?
3. What did Hipparchus discover?
4. How many years does it take for the sun to shift 60 degrees?
5. How many years is one complete precessional cycle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Bauval's discovery that Orion's three belt stars are not in a straight line significant?
2. What theory is the focus of Chapter 51?
3. What did the founder of modern Egyptology mean in Chapter 34 when he said that the Great Pyramid's builders "thought like men 100 feet tall"?
4. Was Hipparchus the first to know about precession?
5. In Chapter 36, which explanation for the pyramids with empty coffins is the most plausible?
6. What accounts for differing ideas of when the Sphinx was built?
7. What did the ancient Egyptians mean when they believed the Sphinx guarded the "Splendid Place at the Beginning of All Time"?
8. What did the author mean in Chapter 33 when he referred to the boats at the base of the Great Pyramid as seeming to be of a quality exceeding the presumed need to transport a dead king to heaven?
9. What is eccentricity?
10. In Chapter 39, why do you think the Egyptians didn't cut the limestone into smaller pieces to make it easier to move?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)