|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was the Oronteus Finaeus Map drawn?
2. When could longitude first be determined?
3. What South American cataclysm is described in Chapter 25?
(a) Flooding and war.
(b) Ice and darkness.
(c) Famine and plague.
(d) Earthquakes and volcanoes.
4. How did Hancock view myths in Chapter 25?
(a) Memories man chooses to forget.
(b) Memories man can recall clearly.
(c) Made-up stories.
(d) Memories man cannot recall or forget.
5. How long was Queen Maud Land ice-free?
(a) 10,000 years.
(b) 5,000 years.
(c) 9,000 years.
(d) 1,000 years.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years of darkness did the ancient Mayans experience?
2. What did the Olmecs invent?
3. How is longitude defined?
4. Where are the mountains Hancock visited in The Mystery of the Maps?
5. What are Mercator projections?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it especially unusual that longitude could have been determined accurately long before the marine chronometer was invented?
2. What is the significance of the fact that so many things about the Earth seem to have been discovered long before modern man officially discovered them?
3. Why did the Ancient Mexican civilizations believe sacrificing children would delay the destruction of the world?
4. According to Chapter 27, what parts of the world were submerged by flooding during the Ice Age?
5. In Chapter 14, how is the god Quetzlcoatl characterized?
6. What was Viracocha credited with bringing to Peru?
7. In Chapter 17, how and why might these giant boulders have been moved?
8. Why are the Nazca lines so significant?
9. How did the ancients come upon their use of pi?
10. According to Chapter 27, what happened to animals during the Ice Age?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)