|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the Mayans get a complex accurate calendar?
(a) Using geometry.
(b) Using sun-dials.
(c) Using astronomy.
(d) Using astrology.
2. According to Chapter 27, what happened to the sun during the Ice Age?
(a) Its light and heat were extinguished.
(b) It became blinding.
(c) It moved farther from the Earth.
(d) It moved closer to the Earth.
3. How long was the mysterious surface road on the coast and through the Andes?
(a) 25,000 kilometers.
(b) 25,000 miles.
(c) 15,000 kilometers.
(d) 15,000 miles.
4. What natural disasters accompany the Mayan myths?
(a) Darkness and pestilence.
(b) Volcanoes and earthquakes.
(c) Plague and famine.
(d) Ice and flooding.
5. What did the Piri Reis Map precisely locate?
(a) Longitudes of South America and Africa.
(b) Longitudes of Europe and Asia.
(c) Latitudes of Europe and Asia.
(d) Latitudes of South America and Africa.
Short Answer Questions
1. What overlooked a sunken temple in Chapter 10?
2. According to Chapter 27, during what years did the Ice Age animal extinctions occur?
3. When did the Orion constellation appear in Egyptian chant?
4. How large was the monolith that was moved to Machu Pichu?
5. How high was the man-made gate in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Chapter 27, what happened to animals during the Ice Age?
2. Describe the god Viracocha's appearance.
3. What was the explanation for early maps showing widely separated parts of the Earth?
4. Why is it especially unusual that longitude could have been determined accurately long before the marine chronometer was invented?
5. Why are Mercator-type maps especially notable?
6. What evidence is there in Chapter 27 to indicate that the freeze was sudden?
7. What is the god Quetzalcoatl known for?
8. What happened to the hardy, cold-adapted animals during the Ice Age?
9. Why did the Ancient Mexican civilizations believe sacrificing children would delay the destruction of the world?
10. Why are stories of floods so universal?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)