|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who believes the psychiatrist is a fraud?
2. Who is shot and taken into custody?
3. Who is Mike's fellow officer?
4. What makes Alex angry with the judge?
5. Who reveals a great deal about the crimes at the police station?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mike's approach to confronting Jed?
2. Describe Cordelia.
3. Describe Mickey.
4. What is Jed worried about with Alex?
5. Describe David.
6. Why did Ellen commit the murder?
7. How do Mike and Alex differ on Jed as a suspect?
8. What could be a motive for Richard to murder Isabella?
9. Describe Harold.
10. How does Alex confront Jed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Alex and Mike are important characters.
Part 1) Compare Alex to Mike. How are these two characters similar and how are they different?
Part 2) What psychological purpose or insight does Alex offer? Elaborate on this.
Part 3) Alex offers to examine the past of the murder suspects. What is implied in this decision and how does it reveal that the murder motive is connected to the past of the murderer and not the present circumstances alone?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the motif of life-death-life. Identify at least two motifs about life-death-life in the book. Then cite an example to support each answer.
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)