|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What weapons are used to threaten Alex?
2. Alex accepts what kind of a ride with a reporter?
3. Alex gets a letter from whom?
4. Who is Mike's fellow officer?
5. What does Alex's friend have that can help identify the companion on the ferry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What distressing realization does Alex have about Jed?
2. Describe Alex's interaction with Jed in the car.
3. What are the two clues that Mike shares with Alex about Jed?
4. Describe Johnny's defense.
5. What does David propose to do with Jed about which Alex is reluctant?
6. Describe Mickey.
7. How do Mike and Alex differ on Jed as a suspect?
8. Why is Alex angry at Mickey?
9. What does David reveal about Cordelia's knowledge of Isabella?
10. Why does Alex jump into Ellen's car?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of women in New York in the 1990s when the women in the stories are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do the have? What freedoms do they have that 21st century women do not have, if any?
Essay Topic 2
How does Ellen behave in order to develop her image as a high-society woman? Why does Ellen want to leave her middle-class neighborhood? What is appealing to her about the lifestyle of high society women? Describe.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of betrayal. Identify at least two themes about betrayal in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)