|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Alex learns who was near Martha's Vineyard on the day of the murder?
2. What could have been the catalyst for murder?
3. Alex does not want what to be taken of the arrested man?
4. Who is shot and taken into custody?
5. How does Alex feel about Jed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What could be a motive for Richard to murder Isabella?
2. Paul feels that Alex is punishing herself for what?
3. Describe the letter Alex gets from Cordelia.
4. Describe David.
5. What does David reveal about Cordelia's knowledge of Isabella?
6. Describe Harold.
7. How is Mike concerned for Alex's safety?
8. What distressing realization does Alex have about Jed?
9. Describe Alex's interaction with Jed in the car.
10. Describe Mickey.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Alex. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the motif of life-death-life. Identify at least two motifs about life-death-life in the book. Then cite an example to support each answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the detecting techniques of the four sleuths of Alex, Mike, Paul, and David; cover how they each approach the murder and whether their intuitions are correct. Who actually solves the murders and how?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)