|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Alex work?
2. Who does Mike accompany outside the house for more information?
3. What does Alex tell Mike that she wants removed from her because she does not feel that she needs it?
4. For whom is Alex waiting to return as she watches television?
5. Who says that Isabella had a male visitor?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Isabella meet Jed?
2. Why is Alex angry with Jed at the dinner?
3. Describe Richard.
4. Describe Ellen.
5. Why is Alex surprised to see a man in her office?
6. Describe Mike.
7. Describe Alex.
8. What is the importance of the game of Jeopardy?
9. Describe Johnny.
10. Why does Richard come to see Alex?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the book. Then cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Alex. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of women in New York in the 1990s when the women in the stories are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do the have? What freedoms do they have that 21st century women do not have, if any?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)