|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jonathan find the child?
2. What question does the Corporal ask Jonathan when he awakens him?
3. What does Jonathan do when he gets inside the house where the Hessians have been sleeping?
4. How does the young Hessian appear to Jonathan in the light of the burning stick at night?
5. What is Jonathan's notion about the inhabitants of the house he and the Hessians find?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the task of milking the cow so comforting to Jonathan?
2. By using a language that the Hessians do not understand, does the Corporal really give them a chance to save their lives when he tells them to surrender?
3. Why is the Corporal being kind to Jonathan after he wakes him up?
4. Why does the young Hessian recite a prayer over the grave of two Americans?
5. Why is it important to Jonathan to know whether the Hessians killed the boy's parents?
6. What does the Corporal's reaction to Jonathan and the boy's appearance at the campfire reveal about his character?
7. What is the significance of Jonathan smashing the borrowed gun to pieces in a fit of rage?
8. Why does Jonathan have confusing reactions to the men's assessment at the campfire of the result of the battle?
9. What is the significance of Jonathan choosing to carry the boy and leave the gun in the house?
10. According to the Corporal, how do the boy's dead parents fit into the story as a whole?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Trace Jonathan's thoughts, feelings and reactions toward the Corporal throughout the book. At what points does Jonathan trust him, and at what points does he exhibit doubt and uncertainty? What part does the Corporal play in Jonathan's ultimate character shift at the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
What is the author's view of war? How does he use the murder of the child's parents to advance this view? What does the Corporal symbolize in regard to the author's view of war?
Essay Topic 3
Who is more treasonous--the Tory spies killed by the Corporal or the young American (Jonathan) who tries to protect the Hessian enemy? What does this tell us about the author's definition of treason?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)