|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Hessians' initial response when Jonathan asks for help burying the boy's parents?
2. How long is it after Jonathan leaves the house at night that he sees a light?
3. How is Jonathan feeling as he begins to carry out the Corporal's orders at the house?
4. What do the American soldiers do once Jonathan has shut himself inside the house?
5. How many American soldiers does Jonathan learn were killed or wounded in the battle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Jonathan choosing to find the Corporal instead of killing the sleeping Hessians?
2. What is the significance of Jonathan choosing to carry the boy and leave the gun in the house?
3. What is the significance of Jonathan's telling the Corporal that he wants to go home, and the Corporal telling him that he's needed?
4. When one of the soldiers urges Jonathan toward the house where the Hessians are sleeping, reassuring him that nothing will happen to him, what does this reveal about how Jonathan's experience has made him different from the other men?
5. Why does Jonathan think he sees himself from the day before when he returns home?
6. By using a language that the Hessians do not understand, does the Corporal really give them a chance to save their lives when he tells them to surrender?
7. Why is the task of milking the cow so comforting to Jonathan?
8. What does the Corporal's reaction to Jonathan and the boy's appearance at the campfire reveal about his character?
9. How do the reactions of the men differ from those of the Corporal when Jonathan appears at the campfire?
10. Why is it important to Jonathan to know whether the Hessians killed the boy's parents?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Trace Jonathan's thoughts, feelings and reactions toward the Corporal throughout the book. At what points does Jonathan trust him, and at what points does he exhibit doubt and uncertainty? What part does the Corporal play in Jonathan's ultimate character shift at the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
What event represents the climax of the novel? What is the significance of the choices Jonathan makes in this scene, in terms of his character development?
Essay Topic 3
Do the men's initial reactions to fighting Hessians rather than Redcoats foreshadow Jonathan's later experiences with Hessians, or do his experiences as their prisoner reveal another side of them in Jonathan's perception? What do the Hessians represent to the men, and what do they later come to represent for Jonathan?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)