|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Corporal have Jonathan do for the men as they approach the house?
2. How long is it after Jonathan leaves the house at night that he sees a light?
3. What does Jonathan decide to do while the Hessians are asleep in the house?
4. When does the Corporal want the soldiers to arrive at the house where the Hessians are?
5. What is surprising about the Corporal's voice when he awakens Jonathan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jonathan feel a sense of comaraderie with his enemy captor, just because he winks at him?
2. In what way does untying himself from the sleeping Hessian represent a change in Jonathan?
3. Why is the task of milking the cow so comforting to Jonathan?
4. According to the Corporal, how do the boy's dead parents fit into the story as a whole?
5. What event causes Jonathan to reassess whether the Hessians are his friends or his enemies as he milks the cow?
6. What is the significance of Jonathan choosing to find the Corporal instead of killing the sleeping Hessians?
7. What is the significance of Jonathan choosing to carry the boy and leave the gun in the house?
8. What connection does Jonathan make between the death of his father's friend in battle and the death of the boy's parents at the hands of the Corporal?
9. What is the significance of Jonathan's telling the Corporal that he wants to go home, and the Corporal telling him that he's needed?
10. In what way does Jonathan begin to see the Corporal differently when the man wakes him up at the campfire?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What event represents the climax of the novel? What is the significance of the choices Jonathan makes in this scene, in terms of his character development?
Essay Topic 2
Trace Jonathan's thoughts, feelings and reactions toward the Corporal throughout the book. At what points does Jonathan trust him, and at what points does he exhibit doubt and uncertainty? What part does the Corporal play in Jonathan's ultimate character shift at the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Name at least two points in the story when Jonathan finds it difficult to see because some type of fog (natural or manufactured) is clouding the air. What does this fog symbolize in terms of the realities of war and Jonathan's discoveries about it?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)