|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What things does Jonathan discover in the house he and the Hessians find?
(a) Two tables and four chairs.
(b) A soft bed and a hearth.
(c) A cup, a plate, and a candle.
(d) A broom, a shovel, and an ax.
2. What does the Corporal tell the men who ask what they're going to do with the Hessians?
(a) He doesn't say.
(b) They're going to kill them.
(c) They're going to let them go free.
(d) They're going to take them prisoner.
3. What is the Hessians' initial response when Jonathan asks for help burying the boy's parents?
(a) They ignore him.
(b) They tie him up.
(c) They throw him out of the house.
(d) They yell at him.
4. What helps Jonathan when he has trouble digging up the soil to bury the boy's parents?
(a) Thinking about the boy.
(b) Wetting it down.
(c) Remembering his work on his father's fields.
(d) His determination to do the right thing.
5. What does Jonathan decide to do with his own gun before leaving the house while the Hessians are asleep?
(a) Take it with him.
(b) Leave it behind.
(c) Use it to kill them.
(d) Hide it from the Hessians.
6. What does Jonathan decide to do while the Hessians are asleep in the house?
(a) Steal from them.
(b) Return home.
(c) Find the Corporal.
(d) Kill them.
7. How is Jonathan feeling as he begins to carry out the Corporal's orders at the house?
8. What challenge does Jonathan face when he leaves the house at night?
(a) Avoiding enemy soldiers.
(b) Climbing a fence.
(c) Seeing in the dark.
(d) Getting past a bear.
9. What does the Corporal have Jonathan do for the men as they approach the house?
(a) Come up with strategies.
(b) Give them assignments.
(c) Describe the Hessians.
(d) Describe the house.
10. How do the Hessians react to the discovery of the boy's dead parents?
(a) With annoyance and impatience.
(b) They look more closely.
(c) With sympathy and compassion.
(d) They try to pull the boy away from the scene.
11. What does Jonathan do when he gets inside the house where the Hessians have been sleeping?
(a) Ties them up.
(b) Warns them about the Americans outside.
(c) Shoots at them.
(d) Tells them it's safe to come out.
12. What does Jonathan fear when he sees the light after leaving the house?
(a) That it is not real.
(b) That the Hessians have followed him.
(c) That it is the enemy's camp.
(d) That he is lost.
13. What do the American soldiers do once Jonathan has shut himself inside the house?
(a) Yell for him to come out.
(b) Run away.
(c) Run inside shooting.
(d) Begin shooting from outside.
14. Where does Jonathan find the child?
(a) Under the porch.
(b) In the woods.
(c) In the shed.
(d) In the cellar.
15. How do the Hessians react to the Corporal's shouts?
(a) They prepare to use Jonathan as a hostage.
(b) They prepare to fight their way out.
(c) They prepare to surrender.
(d) They hit the floor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What information surprises Jonathan at the campfire?
2. How does the soldier who helps Jonathan react to Jonathan's grave-digging?
3. What is Jonathan's notion about the inhabitants of the house he and the Hessians find?
4. What food do the Hessians find in the house they discover?
5. How do the men react to the Corporal at the campfire?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)