|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Jonathan feeling as he begins to carry out the Corporal's orders at the house?
2. What are the Hessians doing when Jonathan brings the boy to the house after finding his dead parents?
(d) Preparing for battle.
3. What does Jonathan learn at the campfire about the boy's family?
(a) That he had an older brother who escaped.
(b) That he had a younger brother who was killed.
(c) That he had a younger brother who was taken prisoner.
(d) That he had an older brother who went to war.
4. What does Jonathan decide to do with his own gun before leaving the house while the Hessians are asleep?
(a) Leave it behind.
(b) Take it with him.
(c) Hide it from the Hessians.
(d) Use it to kill them.
5. What does the Corporal have Jonathan do for the men as they approach the house?
(a) Come up with strategies.
(b) Describe the Hessians.
(c) Describe the house.
(d) Give them assignments.
6. What do the men at the campfire want to do when they hear Jonathan's story?
(a) Take Jonathan home.
(b) Find the boy's relatives.
(c) Take the Hessians prisoner.
(d) Kill the Hessians at the house.
7. What does the old Hessian do to Jonathan in response to Jonathan's advice about the soldiers outside?
(a) He gives Jonathan a gun to use against his own men.
(b) He grabs Jonathan and uses him as a shield.
(c) He tries to push Jonathan out the door.
(d) He shoots at Jonathan.
8. What request does Jonathan make of the Corporal when he wakes up?
(a) To continue fighting.
(b) To be taught fighting techniques.
(c) To take the boy to find his brother.
(d) To go home.
9. Why does the Corporal tell Jonathan to retrieve his gun after the battle with the Hessians at the house?
(a) Because he needs it to fight.
(b) Because there may be more enemy soldiers in the area.
(c) Because he needs to return it to its owner.
(d) Because the Corporal wants to use it.
10. How long is it after Jonathan leaves the house at night that he sees a light?
(a) One-half hour.
(b) Three hours.
(c) One hour.
(d) Two hours.
11. What does Jonathan do before leaving the house while the Hessians are asleep?
(a) He takes their food.
(b) He takes the boy.
(c) He ties them up.
(d) He steals a gun.
12. How were the boy's parents buried?
(a) In a single grave, the man first.
(b) In a single grave, the woman first.
(c) In two adjacent graves.
(d) In two graves some distance apart.
13. What type of house do Jonathan and the Hessians discover?
(a) A small log house.
(b) A large log house.
(c) A small brick house.
(d) A broken down shack.
14. What does the old Hessian do to Jonathan in the house at night time?
(a) Ties Jonathan's ankle to his own.
(b) Ties Jonathan's wrists.
(c) Ties Jonathan's ankle to a chair.
(d) Ties Jonathan's wrist to his own.
15. What do the Hessians force Jonathan to do when they first find the house?
(a) Lock himself in the shed.
(b) Hide under the porch.
(c) Stay outside as a guard.
(d) Go inside first.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is surprising about the Corporal's voice when he awakens Jonathan?
2. Where is the Corporal's clothing torn when he awakens Jonathan?
3. What does Jonathan fear when he sees the light after leaving the house?
4. What does the Corporal at the campfire know that surprises Jonathan?
5. Who takes the small boy to his home?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)