|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the boy respond the first time Jonathan asks about his parents?
(a) He reveals their location.
(b) He cries.
(c) He is silent.
(d) He says he doesn't know where they are.
2. What question does the Corporal ask Jonathan when he awakens him?
(a) How old he is.
(b) Whether he wants to continue fighting.
(c) Where he lives.
(d) How long he has been a soldier.
3. How is Jonathan feeling as he begins to carry out the Corporal's orders at the house?
4. What does Jonathan understand about the cow near the house he and the Hessians discover?
(a) It has recently been milked.
(b) It is dying.
(c) It needs to be millked.
(d) It is hungry.
5. What happens to the Hessians on the porch?
(a) They are unscathed and taken prisoner.
(b) They shoot their way past the Americans.
(c) They are killed by the Americans.
(d) They are wounded and taken prisoner.
6. What helps Jonathan when he has trouble digging up the soil to bury the boy's parents?
(a) Remembering his work on his father's fields.
(b) Thinking about the boy.
(c) Wetting it down.
(d) His determination to do the right thing.
7. What do the Hessians force Jonathan to do when they first find the house?
(a) Go inside first.
(b) Stay outside as a guard.
(c) Lock himself in the shed.
(d) Hide under the porch.
8. How does the soldier who helps Jonathan react to Jonathan's grave-digging?
(a) With disgust.
(b) With praise.
(c) With pity.
(d) With compassion.
9. What does the Corporal reveal about the boy's parents' deaths?
(a) They were killed in the crossfire of a battle.
(b) The Tories killed them.
(c) The Hessians killed them.
(d) He killed them.
10. What do the men at the campfire want to do when they hear Jonathan's story?
(a) Take the Hessians prisoner.
(b) Take Jonathan home.
(c) Kill the Hessians at the house.
(d) Find the boy's relatives.
11. What does Jonathan fear when he sees the light after leaving the house?
(a) That he is lost.
(b) That the Hessians have followed him.
(c) That it is not real.
(d) That it is the enemy's camp.
12. What does the Corporal at the campfire know that surprises Jonathan?
(a) Why Jonathan left his gun behind.
(b) The location of the house.
(c) How many Hessians took Jonathan prisoner.
(d) Where the boy's relatives live.
13. Why do the Hessians send Jonathan out of the house?
(a) To stand guard.
(b) To hunt for food.
(c) To milk the cow.
(d) To search for firewood.
14. What does Jonathan do when he gets inside the house where the Hessians have been sleeping?
(a) Tells them it's safe to come out.
(b) Ties them up.
(c) Shoots at them.
(d) Warns them about the Americans outside.
15. What does Jonathan learn at the campfire about the boy's family?
(a) That he had an older brother who escaped.
(b) That he had an older brother who went to war.
(c) That he had a younger brother who was taken prisoner.
(d) That he had a younger brother who was killed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jonathan feel upon returning home?
2. What food do the Hessians find in the house they discover?
3. What does Jonathan decide to do with his own gun before leaving the house while the Hessians are asleep?
4. What request does Jonathan make of the Corporal when he wakes up?
5. What is in the box that the boy points out to Jonathan in the house?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)