|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What question does the Corporal ask Jonathan when he awakens him?
(a) How long he has been a soldier.
(b) How old he is.
(c) Where he lives.
(d) Whether he wants to continue fighting.
2. What does the soldier do after the boy's parents are buried?
(a) Spit on the ground.
(b) Recite a brief prayer.
(c) Walk away.
(d) Recite a long prayer.
3. What happens to the Hessians on the porch?
(a) They are killed by the Americans.
(b) They are wounded and taken prisoner.
(c) They shoot their way past the Americans.
(d) They are unscathed and taken prisoner.
4. What does Jonathan do with the gun he retrieves from the house?
(a) He cleans and loads it.
(b) He gives it to the Corporal.
(c) He takes it back to its owner.
(d) He smashes it to pieces.
5. What does Jonathan find interesting about the Corporal's yelling at the Hessians?
(a) The Corporal knows they don't speak English.
(b) The Corporal is trying to save his life.
(c) The Corporal is not trying to save his life.
(d) The Corporal is talking instead of shooting.
6. What does Jonathan tell the Hessians to do in response to the Corporal's shouts?
(a) To sacrifice his life for theirs.
(b) To spare his life.
(c) To give up.
(d) To fight.
7. What does Jonathan decide to do while the Hessians are asleep in the house?
(a) Steal from them.
(b) Return home.
(c) Kill them.
(d) Find the Corporal.
8. What challenge does Jonathan face when he leaves the house at night?
(a) Seeing in the dark.
(b) Getting past a bear.
(c) Avoiding enemy soldiers.
(d) Climbing a fence.
9. What does the interior of the house Jonathan and the Hessians find look like?
(a) One floor with several rooms.
(b) One room with a tile floor.
(c) One room with a dirt floor.
(d) Two stories with a decaying staircase.
10. What does the Corporal tell the men who ask what they're going to do with the Hessians?
(a) They're going to take them prisoner.
(b) They're going to kill them.
(c) He doesn't say.
(d) They're going to let them go free.
11. How long is it after Jonathan leaves the house at night that he sees a light?
(a) Three hours.
(b) One-half hour.
(c) Two hours.
(d) One hour.
12. Where is the Corporal's clothing torn when he awakens Jonathan?
(a) In the knee.
(b) In the shoulder.
(c) In the sleeve.
(d) In the collar.
13. What are the Hessians doing when Jonathan brings the boy to the house after finding his dead parents?
(b) Preparing for battle.
14. What does Jonathan consider doing when all the Hessians are asleep in the house?
(a) Killing them.
(c) Helping the boy.
(d) Stealing from them.
15. What is in the box that the boy points out to Jonathan in the house?
(a) A sack and a blanket.
(c) A gun.
(d) A toy.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people does Jonathan see around the campfire?
2. What does the Corporal yell to the Hessians from outside the house?
3. How does the young Hessian appear to Jonathan in the light of the burning stick at night?
4. What type of house do Jonathan and the Hessians discover?
5. What things does Jonathan discover in the house he and the Hessians find?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)