|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Jonathan's father's attitude toward Jonathan going to war?
(a) He wholly supports it.
(b) He cautiously allows it.
(c) He forbids it.
(d) He is ambivalent about it.
2. What does Jonathan see as he prepares to run away when he is alone after the battle?
(a) A Hessian soldier coming toward him.
(b) A Hessian soldier standing nearby.
(c) Three Hessian soldiers standing nearby.
(d) Three Hessian soldiers coming toward him.
3. Who holds Alexandria, Fleming and Well's Ferry at the beginning of the story?
(a) The Americans.
(b) The Tories.
(c) The British.
(d) The Hessians.
4. What is Jonathan's older brother?
(a) A farmer.
(b) A blacksmith.
(c) A tailor.
(d) A soldier.
5. What signals the soldier that the enemy is on their way?
(b) A fife and drum.
(c) A bell tolling.
(d) A battle call.
6. What do the New Jersey soldier uniforms look like?
(a) Red jackets with white leggings.
(b) Blue jackets with white leggings.
(c) White jackets with red leggings.
(d) White jackets with blue leggings.
7. What type of gun does the tavern keeper give Jonathan?
(a) A hand gun.
(b) A six-gauge shotgun.
(c) A musket.
(d) A rifle.
8. What do the soldiers accuse the Corporal of after asking him about the men from Snydertown?
(a) Being a traitor.
(b) Being overly fond of killing.
(c) Being overly cautious.
(d) Being a liar.
9. What stories has Jonathan heard about what Hessians do to prisoners?
(a) Death by starvation.
(b) Hanging, jailing and enslavement.
(c) Death by firing squad.
(d) Torture and beheading.
10. How are the enemy soldiers arranged as they approach Rocktown?
(a) Three by three.
(b) Single file.
(c) Four by four.
(d) Two by two.
11. Who falls on top of Jonathan's gun in the midst of the battle?
(a) Jonathan's father's friend.
(b) The Frenchman.
(c) A Hessian.
(d) The Corporal.
12. What happens when Jonathan tries to stand up when is alone after the battle?
(a) He gets dizzy.
(b) He stands easily.
(c) He can only put his weight on one foot.
(d) He falls down.
13. What does Jonathan detect in the face of the man who accuses the Corporal of having a reputation?
14. How do the men respond when the Corporal tries to organize them to face the enemy?
(a) They argue with him.
(b) With chaotic pushing and shoving.
(c) They run away.
(d) They immediately step into place.
15. What are the Hessians wearing as they approach the Americans?
(a) White leggings and red caps.
(b) White leggins and blue caps.
(c) Blue and white leggings and golden caps.
(d) Red and white leggings and golden caps.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Jonathan feeling when the group of soldiers reaches the crest south of Rocktown?
2. What is Jonathan afraid of as he and the Hessians rest?
3. What does Jonathan think about the town being called Rocktown?
4. Where does Jonathan go to find out information about the ringing of the bell?
5. What happens to Jonathan immediately following the battle with the Hessians?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)