|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the Hessians wearing as they approach the Americans?
(a) White leggings and red caps.
(b) Blue and white leggings and golden caps.
(c) Red and white leggings and golden caps.
(d) White leggins and blue caps.
2. What does Jonathan wish about the fife and drum players he hears as the Hessians approach?
(a) That they are friendly.
(b) That they are his age.
(c) That they are much younger than he is.
(d) That they are easy targets.
3. What does Jonathan want to be at the beginning of the story?
(a) A tavern keeper.
(b) A soldier.
(c) A farmer.
(d) A corporal.
4. What does Jonathan do when the young Hessian stops to look at something on the road?
(a) He slips and falls in the mud.
(b) He tries to communicate with the Hessians.
(c) He almost loses his footing.
(d) He escapes.
5. Why does Jonathan jump up and yell "Don't shoot!" to the Hessians.
(a) He wants to join their side.
(b) He wants to surrender as their prisoner.
(c) He doesn't understand their language.
(d) He heard them plotting to kill him.
6. How does Jonathan feel when he is alone after the battle?
(a) He is sad about his fallen comrades.
(b) He is proud of himself.
(c) He wishes he were dead and is scared of dying.
(d) He is happy to be alive.
7. What does the old Hessian take out while they rest?
(a) A handkerchief.
(b) A flask.
(c) A pipe.
(d) A cigarette.
8. What does the Corporal tell the men to do if it rains as they prepare to fight?
(a) Keep their pans covered and dry.
(b) Find a building for shelter.
(c) Take cover under a tree.
(d) Continue shooting.
9. How does the Corporal try to organize the men in Rocktown as the enemy approaches?
(a) Hiding behind rocks and bushes.
(b) In three lines.
(c) In one line.
(d) In two lines.
10. When was the last time Jonathan was as far from home as he is on the way to the battle?
(a) Several weeks ago.
(b) Years ago.
(c) Many months ago.
(d) He has never been this far from home.
11. Where is the first place Jonathan and the Hessians stop?
(a) Under a pine tree.
(b) By a stream.
(c) In a house.
(d) In a shed.
12. How do the enemy soldiers appear to Jonathan as they approach?
(c) Ordinary sized.
13. What is the tavern made of?
14. What do the American soldiers do as the Hessian soldiers come closer?
(a) Wait to fire until the Corporal gives the signal.
(b) Begin to shout.
(c) Scatter and run.
(d) Fire before the Corporal gives the signal.
15. What happens to Jonathan immediately following the battle with the Hessians?
(a) The American soldiers come back for him.
(b) Three Hessians come after him.
(c) He kills the remaining Hessians.
(d) He chases after the Hessians.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the tavern keeper encourage Jonathan to do?
2. Who are the Hessians in the story?
3. Who are the Hessians?
4. What does the Corporal do when the men ask about the soldiers from Snydertown?
5. What has happened to Jonathan's shoes as a result of the battle?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)