|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jonathan suspect about the parents of the boy who was killed in the war?
(a) That they are British.
(b) That they are French.
(c) That they are Tories.
(d) That they are Hessians.
2. When was the last time Jonathan was as far from home as he is on the way to the battle?
(a) Years ago.
(b) Many months ago.
(c) He has never been this far from home.
(d) Several weeks ago.
3. How do the enemy soldiers appear to Jonathan as they approach?
(b) Ordinary sized.
4. What does Jonathan do about the person who falls to the ground during battle?
(a) He drags him out of harm's way.
(b) He shakes him and tries to get him to speak.
(c) He ignores him.
(d) He kneels by his side.
5. What does Jonathan think as he and the Hessians begin walking on the road?
(a) That they have no destination in mind.
(b) That they plan to kill him.
(c) That they have a specific destination in mind.
(d) That the plan to use him for ransom.
6. What is Jonathan's father's attitude toward Jonathan going to war?
(a) He cautiously allows it.
(b) He forbids it.
(c) He is ambivalent about it.
(d) He wholly supports it.
7. What strikes Jonathan about the first Hessian he sees when he is alone after the battle?
(a) He seems young and inexperienced.
(b) He seems tall and powerful.
(c) He seems short and weak.
(d) He seems old and feeble.
8. How are the enemy soldiers arranged as they approach Rocktown?
(a) Four by four.
(b) Two by two.
(c) Three by three.
(d) Single file.
9. What does Jonathan do soon after the battle with the Hessians?
(a) He searches for the Hessians.
(b) He starts to cry.
(c) He cleans and reloads his gun.
(d) He searches for his comrades.
10. What does Jonathan hear on the morning of April 3rd?
(a) His father calling for him.
(b) A gun shot.
(c) A bell.
(d) A shout.
11. How does Jonathan's father's friend respond to Jonathan's questions on the way to the battle?
(a) He fills Jonathan in on the details of the battle.
(b) He tells Jonathan it's better if he doesn't know the details.
(c) He asks Jonathan whether he has his father's permission to fight.
(d) He refuses to speak to Jonathan.
12. From what country is the foreign man who is among the soldiers with Jonathan?
13. Why does the Corporal get angry when a soldier in Rocktown fires a shot into the air?
(a) The Corporal doesn't want to frighten the woman.
(b) The soldier is wasting ammunition.
(c) He's afraid they'll give away their location.
(d) The soldier used the Corporal's gun.
14. Who holds Alexandria, Fleming and Well's Ferry at the beginning of the story?
(a) The Americans.
(b) The Hessians.
(c) The British.
(d) The Tories.
15. What signals the soldier that the enemy is on their way?
(a) A bell tolling.
(b) A fife and drum.
(d) A battle call.
Short Answer Questions
1. What idea of the Corporal's for facing the enemy is met with resistance?
2. Where does Jonathan find himself soon after the battle with the Hessians?
3. How long is Jonathan's gun in comparison to Jonathan?
4. What facial feature does the tall Hessian have?
5. What does Jonathan do when the young Hessian stops to look at something on the road?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)