|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jonathan have trouble doing as the enemy approaches in Rocktown?
(a) Raising his gun.
(b) Loading his gun.
(c) Fighting the urge to flee.
(d) Standing in place.
2. What does Jonathan see the enemy officer on the horse carrying as he gets closer?
(a) A musket.
(b) A bow.
(c) A rifle.
(d) A sword.
3. What does the old Hessian take out while they rest?
(a) A pipe.
(b) A cigarette.
(c) A handkerchief.
(d) A flask.
4. Why does the Corporal get angry when a soldier in Rocktown fires a shot into the air?
(a) He's afraid they'll give away their location.
(b) The soldier is wasting ammunition.
(c) The soldier used the Corporal's gun.
(d) The Corporal doesn't want to frighten the woman.
5. Where does Jonathan go to find out information about the ringing of the bell?
(a) The town meeting hall.
(b) The church.
(c) The school.
(d) The tavern.
6. What does Jonathan see as he prepares to run away when he is alone after the battle?
(a) A Hessian soldier coming toward him.
(b) Three Hessian soldiers standing nearby.
(c) Three Hessian soldiers coming toward him.
(d) A Hessian soldier standing nearby.
7. What does Jonathan notice about the enemy officer on the horse as he gets closer?
(a) He is wounded.
(b) He has a scar.
(c) He has a large moustache.
(d) He has a tattoo.
8. What is the tavern made of?
9. Why does Jonathan jump up and yell "Don't shoot!" to the Hessians.
(a) He heard them plotting to kill him.
(b) He wants to join their side.
(c) He wants to surrender as their prisoner.
(d) He doesn't understand their language.
10. What does Jonathan think he saw for an instant through the fog as he walks on the road with the Hessians?
(a) The Corporal.
(b) His father.
(c) A child.
(d) A wounded soldier.
11. Who falls to the ground as Jonathan finishes reloading his gun?
(a) The Corporal.
(b) Jonathan's father's friend.
(c) A young Hessian.
12. Why does Jonathan decide not to ask any more questions about the battle after talking to his father's friend?
(a) He doesn't trust any of the other men.
(b) He's so tired he no longer cares.
(c) He decides he'd rather not know.
(d) He's afraid of being sent home.
13. What does Jonathan hear when the Hessians wake him up from his rest?
(a) A lark.
(b) A warbler.
(c) A woodpecker.
(d) A hummingbird.
14. What promise does Jonathan make to the tavern keeper?
(a) That he'll return safely from battle.
(b) That he'll return the gun.
(c) That he'll pay him for the gun.
(d) That he'll get permission from his parents to fight.
15. What is Jonathan afraid of as he and the Hessians rest?
(a) That he will have to continue fighting battles.
(b) That he will never see home again.
(c) That they will abandon him.
(d) That they will harm him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who holds Pennington and Trenton at the beginning of the story?
2. What does Jonathan do about the person who falls to the ground during battle?
3. What happens to the Corporal when, after organizing the men to face the enemy, he first tries to get back on his horse?
4. What does Jonathan detect in the face of the man who accuses the Corporal of having a reputation?
5. What does Jonathan suspect about the parents of the boy who was killed in the war?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)