|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While traveling for business, what does the narrator ask the men he sees with beat-up faces?
2. What does the narrator take from Raymond Hessel?
3. In the Seattle hotel room, what does Tyler chastise the narrator for doing?
4. Who else does the narrator learn is involved in the plan with the Space Monkeys when the bus is stopped?
5. Who does Marla only recognize the narrator as?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is the character in the mental institution at the end of Fight Club? Tyler, or the narrator? Based on the struggle between the two characters for power, which character would make the most sense? Support your answer with specific examples from the text, presenting a clear and cohesive argument.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, the narrator talks about death and wanting to die. At the end of the book, he pulls the trigger but does not actually die and lives on in a mental institution. What is the significance of death to the narrator and the book? Does death take on a different meaning at the book's end? Does it not? Support your answer with specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Tyler uses lye to burn a kiss-shaped scar into the back of the narrator's hand. It eventually becomes the brand of Fight Club. Using the scene between Tyler and the narrator, explain what the chemical kiss is and what it means to Fight Club and its mission. Cite other moments in the text where the chemical kiss makes an appearance. Is its meaning the same in those instances? Explain the significance of the ritualistic branding in Fight Club.
This section contains 1,351 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)