|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator make sure Raymond Hessel will do as he says?
2. What is the name of the mayor's envoy that The Narrator shot and killed?
3. The Narrator gets on a bus with twenty men who have shaved heads. What are the men holding in their hands?
4. What does the narrator ask Raymond Hessel when he finds his student I.D.?
5. How many days does the young man stand on the Paper Street house porch until Tyler lets him in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator discover when he reaches his company's building following Bob's death and how does he know this?
2. What does the narrator find out is going on at home when he returns to the Paper Street house from the bar in Seattle?
3. How did Tyler anticipate the narrator's meddling with Project Mayhem and what did he do to take care of it?
4. Why does Tyler blackmail his boss at the film projectionists union?
5. How was Tyler able to set up the different Fight Clubs, give other people chemical kisses and start Project Mayhem without the narrator knowing?
6. Why is Marla's life in danger now that she has been following the narrator as his split personality, Tyler?
7. How does the narrator know that the police will be looking for him following the death of his boss?
8. What is the narrator thinking about at the window of his exploded condominium and what stops him from stepping over the edge?
9. Why are the members of Project Mayhem called Space Monkeys?
10. What is the purpose of the different committees within Project Mayhem?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book, the narrator talks about death and wanting to die. At the end of the book, he pulls the trigger but does not actually die and lives on in a mental institution. What is the significance of death to the narrator and the book? Does death take on a different meaning at the book's end? Does it not? Support your answer with specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the narrator's concept of the single-serving life and its significance to his own life. What kind of social commentary does the narrator provide with this term? How are his feelings on wanting to die linked to the single-serving life? Support your answer with specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
The Narrator is assigned twelve human sacrifices and he starts with Raymond Hessel. What is the significance of the human sacrifices Project Mayhem assigns and how are they meant to function within Project Mayhem? Include your own opinion on whether or not you believe these sacrifices to be inherently good or bad (i.e., what does the narrator ultimately do for Raymond Hessel?). Support your answer with specific examples from the text.
This section contains 1,193 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)