|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Tyler use the chill-and-drill technique before?
2. How does the narrator convince Marla that he is not Tyler Durden?
3. What is the objective of the different committees in Fight Club's project?
4. What is the name that is given to Fight Club's side project?
5. What was Patrick doing for the mayor that caused him to be killed?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator know that the police will be looking for him following the death of his boss?
2. What does the narrator discover when he reaches his company's building following Bob's death and how does he know this?
3. Why is Marla's life in danger now that she has been following the narrator as his split personality, Tyler?
4. How was Tyler able to set up the different Fight Clubs, give other people chemical kisses and start Project Mayhem without the narrator knowing?
5. What is the objective of Project Mayhem?
6. What does the narrator do when his boss at the hotel attempts to fire him and why?
7. What is the point of the mechanic's homework assignment to take four human lives?
8. What does the narrator tell the mechanic he wishes he had done before he died and why?
9. What does the narrator realize following Bob's death?
10. What does The Narrator do when he learns that he killed Patrick Madden?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tyler uses lye to burn a kiss-shaped scar into the back of the narrator's hand. It eventually becomes the brand of Fight Club. Using the scene between Tyler and the narrator, explain what the chemical kiss is and what it means to Fight Club and its mission. Cite other moments in the text where the chemical kiss makes an appearance. Is its meaning the same in those instances? Explain the significance of the ritualistic branding in Fight Club.
Essay Topic 2
The society that the narrator lives in is extremely similar to, if not the same, as the society that we live in today. True or false? Support your answer with specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Which character would prevail in our society: Tyler or the narrator? Why? Present your choice in a logical and clear thesis with supporting evidence from the text. Remember to use our society as the context and not the society in the book. Cite specific examples from the text. Bear in mind the character you do not choose and include a sound counter-argument to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,197 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)