|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator ask Marla about on the phone after talking to the bartender?
2. What does Marla say the Space Monkeys are doing at the Paper Street house?
3. What is the intended purpose of using liposuctioned fat found in medical waste dumps for soap production?
4. Referring to the magazine articles about human organs, what of "Joe's" does the narrator claim to be after seeing his boss's email?
5. What is one of the things the mechanic tells the narrator to buy as part of his assignment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the goal that Raymond Hessel has and how does the narrator ensure he will achieve that goal?
2. Why does the narrator tell Marla to keep him awake and, in the event that he does fall asleep, follow him and take note of everything he does?
3. What does the narrator tell the mechanic right before the car crash and why?
4. Why would the narrator rather see Raymond Hessel shot and dead than working in the convenience store?
5. Why is Marla's life in danger now that she has been following the narrator as his split personality, Tyler?
6. What is the purpose of the different committees within Project Mayhem?
7. What is the point of Tyler's initiation process into Project Mayhem?
8. How did Tyler anticipate the narrator's meddling with Project Mayhem and what did he do to take care of it?
9. What is the point of the mechanic's homework assignment to take four human lives?
10. How was Tyler able to set up the different Fight Clubs, give other people chemical kisses and start Project Mayhem without the narrator knowing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book, castration is a recurring theme. Discuss the meaning of castration in the novel in reference to society and its members, and explain how the term is used. Cite specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
The Narrator is assigned twelve human sacrifices and he starts with Raymond Hessel. What is the significance of the human sacrifices Project Mayhem assigns and how are they meant to function within Project Mayhem? Include your own opinion on whether or not you believe these sacrifices to be inherently good or bad (i.e., what does the narrator ultimately do for Raymond Hessel?). Support your answer with specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Marla Singer is meant to represent everything that is wrong within society. She is Tyler's argument for why society must be defied and uprooted back to zero. Would you agree or disagree? Why? Support your answer with specific examples from the text.
This section contains 1,211 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)