|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the intended purpose of using liposuctioned fat found in medical waste dumps for soap production?
2. What does Tyler tell the first young man who shows up on the Paper Street house porch?
3. The Narrator gets on a bus with twenty men who have shaved heads. What are the men holding in their hands?
4. What is the name of the mayor's envoy that The Narrator shot and killed?
5. What do Marla and the narrator decide to do to pass the time and keep him awake?
Essay Topic 1
In the initial scene of Fight Club, the narrator mentions anarchy, a gun and an explosion as representative of the triangle that links himself, Tyler and Marla. Based on your knowledge and understanding of the book, explain this triangle and why the narrator likens it to anarchy, a gun and an explosion. Who is what? Are either of the three characters supposed to represent one of these things at all? Would the book have been the same without one of the three? Cite specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, the narrator talks about death and wanting to die. At the end of the book, he pulls the trigger but does not actually die and lives on in a mental institution. What is the significance of death to the narrator and the book? Does death take on a different meaning at the book's end? Does it not? Support your answer with specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the narrator's concept of the single-serving life and its significance to his own life. What kind of social commentary does the narrator provide with this term? How are his feelings on wanting to die linked to the single-serving life? Support your answer with specific examples from the text.
This section contains 1,394 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)