|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the mayor's envoy that The Narrator shot and killed?
2. What do Marla and the narrator decide to do to pass the time and keep him awake?
3. What does the narrator ask Marla to do so that Tyler cannot accomplish his goals?
4. Following Tyler's admittance of the young man into the Paper Street house, where does the narrator finally fall asleep?
5. When does Marla say she saw the narrator shoot a man?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator do when his boss at the hotel attempts to fire him and why?
2. What does the narrator discover when he reaches his company's building following Bob's death and how does he know this?
3. Who does the narrator call following his discovery about himself and Tyler being the same person, receiving more confirmation that it is true?
4. What does the narrator tell the mechanic he wishes he had done before he died and why?
5. What is the narrator thinking about at the window of his exploded condominium and what stops him from stepping over the edge?
6. What is the objective of Project Mayhem?
7. Why do members of Project Mayhem understand it is better to be shot and killed, which is what happened to Bob, than to go to jail?
8. What is the point of the mechanic's homework assignment to take four human lives?
9. What is the point of Tyler's initiation process into Project Mayhem?
10. What is the purpose of the different committees within Project Mayhem?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is the character in the mental institution at the end of Fight Club? Tyler, or the narrator? Based on the struggle between the two characters for power, which character would make the most sense? Support your answer with specific examples from the text, presenting a clear and cohesive argument.
Essay Topic 2
The narrator's and Marla's infatuation with death began much earlier than Fight Club. At one point in the narrator's life he thought he had cancer. The same goes for Marla, except she actually does have cancer. How is death significant to both of these characters' lives, but in different ways? How do they view death? Are their views similar, or different? Cite specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
When the reader first meets the narrator, he is struggling with ongoing insomnia. Eventually, Tyler Durden emerges when the narrator is asleep and causes chaos within the narrator's life and society at large. Would this have happened had the narrator not been an insomniac? Did the narrator always have Tyler within him and, therefore, would he have come out at some point no matter what? Why, or why not? Cite specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,254 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)