|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Raymond Hessel say he wanted to become?
2. What was Patrick doing for the mayor that caused him to be killed?
3. What does the narrator ask Marla about on the phone after talking to the bartender?
4. What does the narrator ask the mechanic while he is driving the Cadillac?
5. What do the members of Project Mayhem do in remembrance of Bob?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of the different committees within Project Mayhem?
2. Why does Tyler blackmail his boss at the film projectionists union?
3. How did Tyler anticipate the narrator's meddling with Project Mayhem and what did he do to take care of it?
4. What does the narrator realize following Bob's death?
5. What does the narrator find out is going on at home when he returns to the Paper Street house from the bar in Seattle?
6. Why does the narrator tell Marla to keep him awake and, in the event that he does fall asleep, follow him and take note of everything he does?
7. How was Tyler able to set up the different Fight Clubs, give other people chemical kisses and start Project Mayhem without the narrator knowing?
8. What does the narrator tell the mechanic right before the car crash and why?
9. What is the goal that Raymond Hessel has and how does the narrator ensure he will achieve that goal?
10. Who does the narrator call following his discovery about himself and Tyler being the same person, receiving more confirmation that it is true?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The narrator and/or Tyler are sexist: true, or false? Support your answer with a thesis that explains why you believe this, or why you don't. How do Tyler and the narrator view women in society? Why was Fight Club only for men? How was Marla treated by either of them? Support your thesis with specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
At the Paper Street house, the narrator finds magazine articles about human organs talking in the first person. What significance do these articles have to the narrator? Society? What is the meaning of Palahniuk's inclusion of these articles in Fight Club? Cite specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Tyler uses lye to burn a kiss-shaped scar into the back of the narrator's hand. It eventually becomes the brand of Fight Club. Using the scene between Tyler and the narrator, explain what the chemical kiss is and what it means to Fight Club and its mission. Cite other moments in the text where the chemical kiss makes an appearance. Is its meaning the same in those instances? Explain the significance of the ritualistic branding in Fight Club.
This section contains 1,196 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)