|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the narrator wake up on after passing out on the bus full of Space Monkeys?
2. Why are members of Project Mayhem happier to be shot and killed than to be arrested?
3. What does the narrator's boss at the hotel say to the narrator when he comes into his office?
4. How do the men with beat-up faces respond to the narrator's questions?
5. What does Tyler tell his boss to do after firing him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the narrator thinking about at the window of his exploded condominium and what stops him from stepping over the edge?
2. Why do members of Project Mayhem understand it is better to be shot and killed, which is what happened to Bob, than to go to jail?
3. What is the purpose of the different committees within Project Mayhem?
4. How does the narrator realize that he is Tyler Durden?
5. What does the narrator realize following Bob's death?
6. Why does the narrator tell Marla to keep him awake and, in the event that he does fall asleep, follow him and take note of everything he does?
7. Who does the narrator call following his discovery about himself and Tyler being the same person, receiving more confirmation that it is true?
8. Why does the narrator go through Raymond Hessel's wallet during his homework assignment?
9. Why is Marla's life in danger now that she has been following the narrator as his split personality, Tyler?
10. What does one of the Space Monkeys do while the rest are trying to hold the narrator down for castration?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The narrator and/or Tyler are sexist: true, or false? Support your answer with a thesis that explains why you believe this, or why you don't. How do Tyler and the narrator view women in society? Why was Fight Club only for men? How was Marla treated by either of them? Support your thesis with specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
The Narrator is assigned twelve human sacrifices and he starts with Raymond Hessel. What is the significance of the human sacrifices Project Mayhem assigns and how are they meant to function within Project Mayhem? Include your own opinion on whether or not you believe these sacrifices to be inherently good or bad (i.e., what does the narrator ultimately do for Raymond Hessel?). Support your answer with specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Marla Singer is meant to represent everything that is wrong within society. She is Tyler's argument for why society must be defied and uprooted back to zero. Would you agree or disagree? Why? Support your answer with specific examples from the text.
This section contains 1,341 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)