|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Space Monkeys on the bus try to do to the narrator?
2. Why does Marla slap the narrator in the face when they meet after the Space Monkeys attempted to castrate him?
3. What is the mechanic holding while on the bus with the narrator?
4. What does the narrator ask Raymond Hessel when he finds his student I.D.?
5. How does the narrator know the members of Project Mayhem are keeping track of him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator discover when he reaches his company's building following Bob's death and how does he know this?
2. What is the objective of Project Mayhem?
3. Why do members of Project Mayhem understand it is better to be shot and killed, which is what happened to Bob, than to go to jail?
4. Why are the members of Project Mayhem called Space Monkeys?
5. How does Tyler say he settled the problem with the Seattle police and their cracking down on Fight Club?
6. What is the point of Tyler's initiation process into Project Mayhem?
7. What does the narrator find out is going on at home when he returns to the Paper Street house from the bar in Seattle?
8. Why does Tyler blackmail his boss at the film projectionists union?
9. How does the narrator realize that he is Tyler Durden?
10. What does one of the Space Monkeys do while the rest are trying to hold the narrator down for castration?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Marla Singer is meant to represent everything that is wrong within society. She is Tyler's argument for why society must be defied and uprooted back to zero. Would you agree or disagree? Why? Support your answer with specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Which character would prevail in our society: Tyler or the narrator? Why? Present your choice in a logical and clear thesis with supporting evidence from the text. Remember to use our society as the context and not the society in the book. Cite specific examples from the text. Bear in mind the character you do not choose and include a sound counter-argument to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
In order to generate monetary funds for Project Mayhem, Tyler makes soap from liposuctioned fat and sells it to the local department store. What is the significance of the soap production's irony? How does the soap production mirror Tyler's acts of civil disobedience. What is he trying to do to society? Cite specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,180 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)