|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the bartender show the narrator to confirm his answers to the narrator's questions?
2. How do the men with beat-up faces respond to the narrator's questions?
3. What does Tyler tell his boss to do after firing him?
4. Who is waiting for the narrator in the parking lot with a Cadillac?
5. Why did the police shoot and kill Bob while he was on his chill-and-drill assignment?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Marla's life in danger now that she has been following the narrator as his split personality, Tyler?
2. How does the narrator know that the police will be looking for him following the death of his boss?
3. Who does the narrator call following his discovery about himself and Tyler being the same person, receiving more confirmation that it is true?
4. Why do members of Project Mayhem understand it is better to be shot and killed, which is what happened to Bob, than to go to jail?
5. What does the narrator tell the mechanic right before the car crash and why?
6. What does one of the Space Monkeys do while the rest are trying to hold the narrator down for castration?
7. What is the narrator thinking about at the window of his exploded condominium and what stops him from stepping over the edge?
8. Why are the members of Project Mayhem called Space Monkeys?
9. How did Tyler anticipate the narrator's meddling with Project Mayhem and what did he do to take care of it?
10. What does the narrator do when his boss at the hotel attempts to fire him and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The narrator and/or Tyler are sexist: true, or false? Support your answer with a thesis that explains why you believe this, or why you don't. How do Tyler and the narrator view women in society? Why was Fight Club only for men? How was Marla treated by either of them? Support your thesis with specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, castration is a recurring theme. Discuss the meaning of castration in the novel in reference to society and its members, and explain how the term is used. Cite specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Who is the character in the mental institution at the end of Fight Club? Tyler, or the narrator? Based on the struggle between the two characters for power, which character would make the most sense? Support your answer with specific examples from the text, presenting a clear and cohesive argument.
This section contains 1,268 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)