Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What support group does the narrator attend several months prior to the opening scene?
2. Who thwarts the narrator's attempts to find relief at the support groups?
3. What does the narrator discover has happened when he returns home?
4. What does the narrator describe as anarchy, guns and an explosion?
5. What does the narrator take delight in calling himself and Tyler at the banquet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does the narrator's jealousy about Marla and Tyler come from?
2. When the narrator confronts Marla about being a "tourist" at the support groups, how does Marla respond?
3. Why does the narrator take delight in thinking of himself and Tyler as "dinner party saboteurs"?
4. What does the narrator's comment about his boss's tie and the day of the week signify?
5. What is the goal that Raymond Hessel has and how does the narrator ensure he will achieve that goal?
6. What does the narrator realize following Bob's death?
7. What does the narrator do when his boss at the hotel attempts to fire him and why?
8. What is the triangle that the narrator mentions in the opening scene? Why are anarchy, guns and an explosion used to represent that triangle?
9. How does the narrator realize that the Parker-Morris building, the building he and Tyler are in at the beginning and end of the novel, is not going to explode?
10. Why does the narrator frequent support group meetings to rid himself of insomnia?
Essay Topic 1
When the reader first meets the narrator, he is struggling with ongoing insomnia. Eventually, Tyler Durden emerges when the narrator is asleep and causes chaos within the narrator's life and society at large. Would this have happened had the narrator not been an insomniac? Did the narrator always have Tyler within him and, therefore, would he have come out at some point no matter what? Why, or why not? Cite specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Tyler utilizes Space Monkeys in order to carry out the objectives for Project Mayhem - his plan for uprooting society and turning men back to their basic instincts within nature. Describe what Space Monkeys are, their initiation process into Project Mayhem, their homework assignments, their rules, etc. Do Space Monkeys and their tasks contradict the goal of Project Mayhem? Why, or why not? Cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, the narrator talks about death and wanting to die. At the end of the book, he pulls the trigger but does not actually die and lives on in a mental institution. What is the significance of death to the narrator and the book? Does death take on a different meaning at the book's end? Does it not? Support your answer with specific examples from the text.
This section contains 1,171 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)