|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does the narrator meet at this support group?
2. What does the narrator describe as anarchy, guns and an explosion?
3. What does Tyler remind the narrator of while his hand is burning?
4. What does the narrator start faxing to his coworkers?
5. When the narrator recalls calling Marla to ask if she was going to a meeting, which support group was he asking about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Fight Club a males-only club?
2. What is the meaning of a single-serving life that the narrator refers to as his own?
3. Why does the narrator feel secretly relieved about his condominium exploding?
4. How is the chemical kiss that Tyler gives the narrator also a symbol for Fight Club?
5. Why does airport security stop the narrator at the airport after one of his business trips?
6. Why does Tyler urinate into the soup at the banquet for dignitaries?
7. What story does the narrator tell Marla to cheer her up when he finds a lump on her breast?
8. What did Tyler do to Marla's mother that the narrator was so upset about?
9. What is the triangle that the narrator mentions in the opening scene? Why are anarchy, guns and an explosion used to represent that triangle?
10. What does the narrator notice when the detective calls him and lists some of the materials there were used in his condo explosion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Narrator likes Marla despite Tyler's denunciations of everything wrong that she represents. If Tyler and the narrator are the same person and Tyler wants to eradicate society, how can the narrator like Marla? Resolve this contradiction by using specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
The narrator and/or Tyler are sexist: true, or false? Support your answer with a thesis that explains why you believe this, or why you don't. How do Tyler and the narrator view women in society? Why was Fight Club only for men? How was Marla treated by either of them? Support your thesis with specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
The Narrator is assigned twelve human sacrifices and he starts with Raymond Hessel. What is the significance of the human sacrifices Project Mayhem assigns and how are they meant to function within Project Mayhem? Include your own opinion on whether or not you believe these sacrifices to be inherently good or bad (i.e., what does the narrator ultimately do for Raymond Hessel?). Support your answer with specific examples from the text.
This section contains 1,092 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)