|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator's boss not allow him to do what he was planning to do?
2. Who are Tyler and the narrator serving at the banquet?
3. What did Tyler do to the hostess the first time he sabotaged a dinner party?
4. What is in the narrator's mouth when the book opens?
5. Who are on the floors below Tyler and the narrator in the opening scene of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does The Narrator do when he learns that he killed Patrick Madden?
2. What did Tyler do to Marla's mother that the narrator was so upset about?
3. How was Tyler able to set up the different Fight Clubs, give other people chemical kisses and start Project Mayhem without the narrator knowing?
4. What was Tyler's first civil disobedience act that the narrator recalls while in the stopped elevator?
5. What does the narrator mean when he is in the mental institution and says, "You can't teach God anything"?
6. What does the narrator notice on Marla's body besides the lump on her breast?
7. Why is Fight Club a males-only club?
8. What is the triangle that the narrator mentions in the opening scene? Why are anarchy, guns and an explosion used to represent that triangle?
9. How does the narrator know that Fight Club is living on outside of the mental institution?
10. When Tyler and the narrator first meet, how do their lives and personalities differ?
Essay Topic 1
The society that the narrator lives in is extremely similar to, if not the same, as the society that we live in today. True or false? Support your answer with specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Tyler uses lye to burn a kiss-shaped scar into the back of the narrator's hand. It eventually becomes the brand of Fight Club. Using the scene between Tyler and the narrator, explain what the chemical kiss is and what it means to Fight Club and its mission. Cite other moments in the text where the chemical kiss makes an appearance. Is its meaning the same in those instances? Explain the significance of the ritualistic branding in Fight Club.
Essay Topic 3
At the Paper Street house, the narrator finds magazine articles about human organs talking in the first person. What significance do these articles have to the narrator? Society? What is the meaning of Palahniuk's inclusion of these articles in Fight Club? Cite specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 2,191 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)