|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tyler doing when the narrator first sees him?
2. What did the telegram that Tyler sent Marla's mother say?
3. After the narrator calls Tyler for the first time, what do the two of them decide to do?
4. What is in the narrator's mouth when the book opens?
5. What does Marla ask the narrator to do for her at the Regent Hotel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator feel secretly relieved about his condominium exploding?
2. Why does Tyler tell the narrator not to talk about him to Marla?
3. Why does the narrator take delight in thinking of himself and Tyler as "dinner party saboteurs"?
4. Why can't the narrator cry when Marla is at the same support groups as him?
5. What is the triangle that the narrator mentions in the opening scene? Why are anarchy, guns and an explosion used to represent that triangle?
6. How is the chemical kiss that Tyler gives the narrator also a symbol for Fight Club?
7. What does the chemical kiss that Tyler burns into the narrator's hand mean?
8. What does the narrator's comment about his boss's tie and the day of the week signify?
9. What was Tyler's first civil disobedience act that the narrator recalls while in the stopped elevator?
10. What story does the narrator tell Marla to cheer her up when he finds a lump on her breast?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character would prevail in our society: Tyler or the narrator? Why? Present your choice in a logical and clear thesis with supporting evidence from the text. Remember to use our society as the context and not the society in the book. Cite specific examples from the text. Bear in mind the character you do not choose and include a sound counter-argument to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
At the Paper Street house, the narrator finds magazine articles about human organs talking in the first person. What significance do these articles have to the narrator? Society? What is the meaning of Palahniuk's inclusion of these articles in Fight Club? Cite specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Tyler utilizes Space Monkeys in order to carry out the objectives for Project Mayhem - his plan for uprooting society and turning men back to their basic instincts within nature. Describe what Space Monkeys are, their initiation process into Project Mayhem, their homework assignments, their rules, etc. Do Space Monkeys and their tasks contradict the goal of Project Mayhem? Why, or why not? Cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,131 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)