|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator discover has happened when he returns home?
2. What is the narrator suffering from at the time he goes to this support group?
3. What does Tyler remind the narrator of while his hand is burning?
4. Who thwarts the narrator's attempts to find relief at the support groups?
5. What does Tyler do to the narrator's hand?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator take delight in thinking of himself and Tyler as "dinner party saboteurs"?
2. How does the narrator realize that the first two rules of Fight Club are being broken?
3. Why does the narrator start writing haikus to his coworkers?
4. What story does the narrator tell Marla to cheer her up when he finds a lump on her breast?
5. Why does Tyler urinate into the soup at the banquet for dignitaries?
6. What is the triangle that the narrator mentions in the opening scene? Why are anarchy, guns and an explosion used to represent that triangle?
7. What was Tyler's first civil disobedience act that the narrator recalls while in the stopped elevator?
8. How is Tyler's soap production another rebellion against society, specifically, women?
9. What did Tyler do to Marla's mother that the narrator was so upset about?
10. Why does Tyler tell the narrator not to talk about him to Marla?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The narrator and/or Tyler are sexist: true, or false? Support your answer with a thesis that explains why you believe this, or why you don't. How do Tyler and the narrator view women in society? Why was Fight Club only for men? How was Marla treated by either of them? Support your thesis with specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Tyler utilizes Space Monkeys in order to carry out the objectives for Project Mayhem - his plan for uprooting society and turning men back to their basic instincts within nature. Describe what Space Monkeys are, their initiation process into Project Mayhem, their homework assignments, their rules, etc. Do Space Monkeys and their tasks contradict the goal of Project Mayhem? Why, or why not? Cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
When the reader first meets the narrator, he is struggling with ongoing insomnia. Eventually, Tyler Durden emerges when the narrator is asleep and causes chaos within the narrator's life and society at large. Would this have happened had the narrator not been an insomniac? Did the narrator always have Tyler within him and, therefore, would he have come out at some point no matter what? Why, or why not? Cite specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,091 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)