|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tyler tell the narrator he will be one step closer to by realizing his mortality?
2. What is in the narrator's mouth when the book opens?
3. Why does the narrator wonder if Tyler and Marla are the same person?
4. Why is one of the narrator's bags delayed at the airport?
5. Who starts calling the Paper Street house and asking the narrator questions?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tyler urinate into the soup at the banquet for dignitaries?
2. When the reader first encounters Bob, what does he look like and what does he represent?
3. Why does airport security stop the narrator at the airport after one of his business trips?
4. After the narrator's boss finds the Fight Club rules, he and the narrator have a conversation. What does this conversation signify about the narrator?
5. What story does the narrator tell Marla to cheer her up when he finds a lump on her breast?
6. What did Tyler do to Marla's mother that the narrator was so upset about?
7. Why is Fight Club a males-only club?
8. What does the narrator's comment about his boss's tie and the day of the week signify?
9. How is Tyler's soap production another rebellion against society, specifically, women?
10. Why does the narrator start writing haikus to his coworkers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character would prevail in our society: Tyler or the narrator? Why? Present your choice in a logical and clear thesis with supporting evidence from the text. Remember to use our society as the context and not the society in the book. Cite specific examples from the text. Bear in mind the character you do not choose and include a sound counter-argument to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Why was Fight Club created in the first place? What was the narrator's and Tyler's intention and meaning for Fight Club when it first started - in its purest form. What role was it meant to play within society? How did it morph into Project Mayhem, a complete eradication of society? Describe Fight Club's chronology within the book with specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
When the reader first meets the narrator, he is struggling with ongoing insomnia. Eventually, Tyler Durden emerges when the narrator is asleep and causes chaos within the narrator's life and society at large. Would this have happened had the narrator not been an insomniac? Did the narrator always have Tyler within him and, therefore, would he have come out at some point no matter what? Why, or why not? Cite specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,072 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)