|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tyler sell that he makes using homemade ingredients?
2. What does the narrator infer when he sees what is in the toilet at the Paper Street house?
3. What does Tyler urinate into in the stopped elevator?
4. What does the narrator's boss find in the copy machine that he reads to the narrator?
5. What does Tyler tell the narrator about how he met Maria?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story does the narrator tell Marla to cheer her up when he finds a lump on her breast?
2. How is Tyler's soap production another rebellion against society, specifically, women?
3. Why does Tyler tell the narrator not to talk about him to Marla?
4. Why does the narrator take delight in thinking of himself and Tyler as "dinner party saboteurs"?
5. What does the chemical kiss that Tyler burns into the narrator's hand mean?
6. What does Marla tell the narrator was her reason for not wanting to know about her breast cancer when she found the first lump?
7. What does the narrator's comment about his boss's tie and the day of the week signify?
8. What did Tyler do to Marla's mother that the narrator was so upset about?
9. Why is Fight Club a males-only club?
10. What is the triangle that the narrator mentions in the opening scene? Why are anarchy, guns and an explosion used to represent that triangle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The society that the narrator lives in is extremely similar to, if not the same, as the society that we live in today. True or false? Support your answer with specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
What was Palahniuk's intention in making the narrator a schizophrenic? What are the implications of the narrator having this disorder? What does the reader's eventual discovery of the narrator's condition do for the reader? Support your answer with specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
At the Paper Street house, the narrator finds magazine articles about human organs talking in the first person. What significance do these articles have to the narrator? Society? What is the meaning of Palahniuk's inclusion of these articles in Fight Club? Cite specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,097 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)