|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the narrator's job title?
2. What does the narrator think about while Bob is reciting the rules of Fight Club?
3. What are the articles about that the narrator reads to distract himself?
4. Who did Marla say she thought the people calling her and not saying anything were?
5. What meeting does the narrator attend when his insomnia returns?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tyler blackmail his boss at the film projectionists union?
2. What is the triangle that the narrator mentions in the opening scene? Why are anarchy, guns and an explosion used to represent that triangle?
3. How does the narrator know that the police will be looking for him following the death of his boss?
4. Why does the narrator start writing haikus to his coworkers?
5. Why is Fight Club a males-only club?
6. What does the narrator do when his boss at the hotel attempts to fire him and why?
7. What does the narrator find out is going on at home when he returns to the Paper Street house from the bar in Seattle?
8. Why does the narrator take delight in thinking of himself and Tyler as "dinner party saboteurs"?
9. Where does the narrator's jealousy about Marla and Tyler come from?
10. When Tyler and the narrator first meet, how do their lives and personalities differ?
Essay Topic 1
The Narrator is assigned twelve human sacrifices and he starts with Raymond Hessel. What is the significance of the human sacrifices Project Mayhem assigns and how are they meant to function within Project Mayhem? Include your own opinion on whether or not you believe these sacrifices to be inherently good or bad (i.e., what does the narrator ultimately do for Raymond Hessel?). Support your answer with specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Tyler uses lye to burn a kiss-shaped scar into the back of the narrator's hand. It eventually becomes the brand of Fight Club. Using the scene between Tyler and the narrator, explain what the chemical kiss is and what it means to Fight Club and its mission. Cite other moments in the text where the chemical kiss makes an appearance. Is its meaning the same in those instances? Explain the significance of the ritualistic branding in Fight Club.
Essay Topic 3
In order to generate monetary funds for Project Mayhem, Tyler makes soap from liposuctioned fat and sells it to the local department store. What is the significance of the soap production's irony? How does the soap production mirror Tyler's acts of civil disobedience. What is he trying to do to society? Cite specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 2,233 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)