|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marla ask the narrator to do for her at the Regent Hotel?
2. What did Marla decide about cancer after finding her first lump?
3. What is the first rule of Fight Club?
4. How does the narrator finally meet Marla Singer?
5. The narrator tells his boss to be careful who he shows the piece of paper to. What reason does he give for this?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Tyler do to Marla's mother that the narrator was so upset about?
2. What was Tyler's first civil disobedience act that the narrator recalls while in the stopped elevator?
3. What does Marla tell the narrator was her reason for not wanting to know about her breast cancer when she found the first lump?
4. Why does airport security stop the narrator at the airport after one of his business trips?
5. After the narrator's boss finds the Fight Club rules, he and the narrator have a conversation. What does this conversation signify about the narrator?
6. Why does Tyler urinate into the soup at the banquet for dignitaries?
7. What is the triangle that the narrator mentions in the opening scene? Why are anarchy, guns and an explosion used to represent that triangle?
8. When the reader first encounters Bob, what does he look like and what does he represent?
9. How is Tyler's soap production another rebellion against society, specifically, women?
10. What does the narrator notice when the detective calls him and lists some of the materials there were used in his condo explosion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tyler uses lye to burn a kiss-shaped scar into the back of the narrator's hand. It eventually becomes the brand of Fight Club. Using the scene between Tyler and the narrator, explain what the chemical kiss is and what it means to Fight Club and its mission. Cite other moments in the text where the chemical kiss makes an appearance. Is its meaning the same in those instances? Explain the significance of the ritualistic branding in Fight Club.
Essay Topic 2
In order to generate monetary funds for Project Mayhem, Tyler makes soap from liposuctioned fat and sells it to the local department store. What is the significance of the soap production's irony? How does the soap production mirror Tyler's acts of civil disobedience. What is he trying to do to society? Cite specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The narrator and/or Tyler are sexist: true, or false? Support your answer with a thesis that explains why you believe this, or why you don't. How do Tyler and the narrator view women in society? Why was Fight Club only for men? How was Marla treated by either of them? Support your thesis with specific examples from the text.
This section contains 1,160 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)