|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Boy return for good from his war efforts in Europe?
2. What is the name of the woman who plays Gretchen and Venus in the show Dunstan sees in Mexico?
3. Dunstan's priest friend is tolerated by the other Jesuits because he is what?
4. If Dunstan says anything negative about Boy to Leona, what does Leona do?
5. Dunstan and his priest friend travel by train to what European city?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Padre Blazon, after hearing about Mary Dempster's life and death from Dunstan, believe she is a hero in God's cause?
2. Why is Dunstan deemed unacceptable to be Headmaster at the school by the Board?
3. What is Padre Blazon's personal theory about what will happen when Jesus returns?
4. Why does Padre Blazon suggest that Dunstan put aside his guilt over Mary Dempster?
5. What happens to the young men that Boy takes under his wing in his company as prodigies?
6. What does Dunstan think is suspicious about the way Leola died?
7. Why does Dunstan feel that Boy is using him in his entourage?
8. What are the two things that Dunstan gets the Board to agree to instead of naming him Headmaster?
9. What is unique about the magic show that Dunstan goes to see in Mexico?
10. How is Boy's second wife described in the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Padre Blazon asks Dunstan who his devil is when Dunstan goes and visits him for the last time in Europe. How does Padre Blazon define a "devil," and, using that definition, is Liel really Dunstan's devil, or is it someone else? Why? Please explain your answer with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, Fate is discussed as a character. Please pick one of the following characters and use examples from the book to describe how Fate works with, or on, that character.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, how has Dunstan's personality and character changed throughout the story? When he was a child, how did he deal with his problems? How does he deal with them as an adult? What was important to him as a child, and what is important to him now? Why did Dunstan's character change?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)