|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Eisengrim say was his first magic teacher?
2. When Dunstan finds the Bollandists, where does he find Padre Blazon?
3. Who plays the heroine on the Opera stages of Europe?
4. Boy's second wife believes she can get him appointed to what position?
5. Boy makes a fortune during what time period because he specializes in providing bulky, comforting and cheap food?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the options that Dunstan thinks of while he is in the shrine of the Virgin of Guadalupe for why people believe in miracles and have faith?
2. Why does Dunstan feel that Boy is using him in his entourage?
3. Why is Dunstan furious at Boy when Boy gives him the roll of film to develop?
4. What happens to the young men that Boy takes under his wing in his company as prodigies?
5. Before Dunstan leaves to return to Colborne college, what does he convince Paul to do?
6. What are the two things that Dunstan gets the Board to agree to instead of naming him Headmaster?
7. Why, at Leona's funeral, does Dunstan feel ashamed after speaking with Milo Papple?
8. What does Boy do when he is appointed Minister of Food in the Cabinet?
9. What are Paul's hopes for the show after Mexico?
10. Why does Mary Dempster meet Dunstan when he visits her with her coat and jacket on?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing is the use of prior events in storytelling to give an indication of future events in the story. Using examples from the book, explain how is foreshadowing used in this book.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, what misperceptions did the villagers of Deptford have about Mrs. Dempster that caused them to label her a fool? What ideas and actions did the villagers value that Mrs. Dempster appeared not to value? Why did Mrs. Dempster hold different values?
Essay Topic 3
Liesl calls Dunstan one of the "twice-born." What does this mean? Do you agree or disagree with Liesl's characterization of Dunstan? Please support your answer with examples from the text.
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)