|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dunstan and his priest friend travel by train to what European city?
2. What is the name of the woman Boy Staunton marries after the death of his first wife?
3. Wettenhall lost all his money in what event?
4. Who asks Dunstan to write the official autobiography of Boy's life?
5. On what day does Padre Blazon say that Dunstan should honor Mary Dempster in his prayers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the two things that Dunstan gets the Board to agree to instead of naming him Headmaster?
2. What is unique about the magic show that Dunstan goes to see in Mexico?
3. What causes Boy to take a walk by himself during the Christmas season of 1936?
4. When Dunstan is in the shrine of the Virgin of Guadalupe, what is he pondering?
5. Why is Denyse's plan of getting Boy appointed Lieutenant-Governor described as a complicated plan?
6. What does Dunstan think is suspicious about the way Leola died?
7. Why does Padre Blazon suggest that Dunstan put aside his guilt over Mary Dempster?
8. Before Dunstan leaves to return to Colborne college, what does he convince Paul to do?
9. What does Boy do when he is appointed Minister of Food in the Cabinet?
10. After Dunstan moves Mrs. Dempster to a private hospital, what is the major error he commits?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book covers the transition of three characters from boys to men: Paul Dempster, Percy Staunton, and Dunstan. Pick one of the characters and, using examples from the book, explain how he grew from a boy to a man and what events/people influenced him along the way.
Essay Topic 2
Padre Blazon asks Dunstan who his devil is when Dunstan goes and visits him for the last time in Europe. How does Padre Blazon define a "devil," and, using that definition, is Liel really Dunstan's devil, or is it someone else? Why? Please explain your answer with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Dunstan kept the stone that was in the snowball Percy threw when they were boys. Why did Dunstan keep the stone? Please discuss the themes of consciousness, remembrance, and learning from the past in relation to the loaded snowball event.
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)