|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Liesl tell Dunstan his obsession with Mary Dempster is about?
2. When Dunston arrives home after refusing to kiss Leola and calls the Staunton household, who answers the phone?
3. When does Mrs. Dempster die?
4. When Boy gets upset during the Christmas season of 1936, what does Leola find in his coat pocket?
5. What is the name of the woman Boy Staunton marries after the death of his first wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Denyse's plan of getting Boy appointed Lieutenant-Governor described as a complicated plan?
2. How is Boy's second wife described in the book?
3. What causes Boy to take a walk by himself during the Christmas season of 1936?
4. When it becomes evident to Dunstan that Paul does not want him back stage, what does he do?
5. Why does Mary Dempster meet Dunstan when he visits her with her coat and jacket on?
6. What does Boy do when he is appointed Minister of Food in the Cabinet?
7. What are the two things that Dunstan gets the Board to agree to instead of naming him Headmaster?
8. What memory has Boy suppressed from their childhood that shocks Dunstan when he learns Boy doesn't remember it?
9. What happens to the young men that Boy takes under his wing in his company as prodigies?
10. What is unique about the magic show that Dunstan goes to see in Mexico?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Percy and Dunstan are two characters with a relationship throughout the book. How does their relationship benefit each of them when they are children? When they are in university? When they are adults? What kind of relationship does theirs resemble and why? Are they like competitors, or are they more like siblings? Please support your answer with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
What is the role that magic plays in the life of Paul Dempster? How and why does his interest in magic start? Does magic play any role in his decision to run away? What is Paul doing with magic as an adult? How does Paul describe his relationship with magic? Support your answer with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, Fate is discussed as a character. Please pick one of the following characters and use examples from the book to describe how Fate works with, or on, that character.
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)