|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the tour in Mexico supposed to do for the show?
2. What is the name of the woman Boy Staunton marries after the death of his first wife?
3. Boy takes a lot of heat for what characteristic?
4. Who tells David of his mother's death?
5. What happens after Liesl explains the role of the Fifth Business?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Boy Staunton make a fortune during the Depression?
2. Why is Denyse's plan of getting Boy appointed Lieutenant-Governor described as a complicated plan?
3. What does Boy do when he is appointed Minister of Food in the Cabinet?
4. What are some of the options that Dunstan thinks of while he is in the shrine of the Virgin of Guadalupe for why people believe in miracles and have faith?
5. When Dunstan tries to remind Boy about the things he has done in his life, including the stone-in-the-snowball incident, Boy responds unpleasantly and accuses Dunstan of what?
6. What are the two things that Dunstan gets the Board to agree to instead of naming him Headmaster?
7. What does Dunstan think is suspicious about the way Leola died?
8. Why is Dunstan deemed unacceptable to be Headmaster at the school by the Board?
9. What are Paul's hopes for the show after Mexico?
10. How is Boy's second wife described in the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing is the use of prior events in storytelling to give an indication of future events in the story. Using examples from the book, explain how is foreshadowing used in this book.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, how has Dunstan's personality and character changed throughout the story? When he was a child, how did he deal with his problems? How does he deal with them as an adult? What was important to him as a child, and what is important to him now? Why did Dunstan's character change?
Essay Topic 3
Percy and Dunstan are two characters with a relationship throughout the book. How does their relationship benefit each of them when they are children? When they are in university? When they are adults? What kind of relationship does theirs resemble and why? Are they like competitors, or are they more like siblings? Please support your answer with examples from the book.
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)