|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the Opera stages of Europe, what kind of voice usually plays the odd man out?
2. Dunstan's habit is to visit Mary Dempster and her aunt when?
3. What is the tour in Mexico supposed to do for the show?
4. Who is Orpheus Wettenhall?
5. Who is the keeper of Mrs. Dempster's ashes?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Dunstan is in the shrine of the Virgin of Guadalupe, what is he pondering?
2. What is Padre Blazon's personal theory about what will happen when Jesus returns?
3. Why is Dunstan furious at Boy when Boy gives him the roll of film to develop?
4. Why does Mary Dempster meet Dunstan when he visits her with her coat and jacket on?
5. Why does Dunstan not want to write Boy's memoir when Denyse asks him to?
6. What does Boy do when he is appointed Minister of Food in the Cabinet?
7. What are some of the options that Dunstan thinks of while he is in the shrine of the Virgin of Guadalupe for why people believe in miracles and have faith?
8. Who does the head, during a magic show, say killed Boy Staunton?
9. Why does Dunstan feel that Boy is using him in his entourage?
10. What are the two things that Dunstan gets the Board to agree to instead of naming him Headmaster?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The title of the book is "Fifth Business." What do you think this title is meant to describe? Where in the book is the title mentioned, and why would it be mentioned there? Please support your answer with examples and ideas from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Both the Catholic priest in Deptford and Padre Blazon refer to Mary Dempster as a fool-saint, whereas Dunstan thinks of her as a true saint. Please explain what a fool-saint and a saint are, what the differences are between the two, and whether you agree or disagree with the characterization of Mary Dempster as a fool-saint. Support your answer using examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing is the use of prior events in storytelling to give an indication of future events in the story. Using examples from the book, explain how is foreshadowing used in this book.
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)