|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In addition to caring for Mrs. Dempster, teaching, and being Boy's primary confidant, what publication is Dunstan doing a lot of writing for?
2. Who tells David of his mother's death?
3. Who asks Dunstan to write the official autobiography of Boy's life?
4. Liesl wants to incorporate a thought-reading act into the show called what?
5. In relation to Destiny, what does Dunstan see himself as?
Short Essay Questions
1. When it becomes evident to Dunstan that Paul does not want him back stage, what does he do?
2. What does Boy do when he is appointed Minister of Food in the Cabinet?
3. Why is Dunstan deemed unacceptable to be Headmaster at the school by the Board?
4. What causes Boy to take a walk by himself during the Christmas season of 1936?
5. What are the two things that Dunstan gets the Board to agree to instead of naming him Headmaster?
6. What are some of the options that Dunstan thinks of while he is in the shrine of the Virgin of Guadalupe for why people believe in miracles and have faith?
7. Why does Padre Blazon, after hearing about Mary Dempster's life and death from Dunstan, believe she is a hero in God's cause?
8. Why does Padre Blazon suggest that Dunstan put aside his guilt over Mary Dempster?
9. Why is Leola a failure as a wife in Boy's eyes?
10. How does Boy Staunton make a fortune during the Depression?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is the hero of this story, or is there no hero to the story? What characteristics does that character possess that makes them a hero, or what characteristics are lacking in the characters that make none of them a hero? Please support your answer with evidence from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Dunstan's father dies when he is young, and it is not clear, from the book, who Dunstan uses as his role model. Who do you think Dunstan uses as a father-figure and a role-model and why? Are these types of relationships even important to Dunstan? Please support your answer with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
What is the role that magic plays in the life of Paul Dempster? How and why does his interest in magic start? Does magic play any role in his decision to run away? What is Paul doing with magic as an adult? How does Paul describe his relationship with magic? Support your answer with examples from the book.
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)