|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Boy tells Eisengrim that he doesn't remember the Dempsters. What reason does Boy give?
2. Instead of using his own name as the author when he publishes the autobiography of Magnus Eisengrim, Dunstan uses what?
3. Since the former Headmaster died, what has Dunstan been doing?
4. When does Boy return for good from his war efforts in Europe?
5. Before being able to write Boy's autobiography, Dunstan suffers from what health issue?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Boy to take a walk by himself during the Christmas season of 1936?
2. What is Boy Staunton's association with the Crown Prince?
3. Before Dunstan leaves to return to Colborne college, what does he convince Paul to do?
4. Why does Padre Blazon suggest that Dunstan put aside his guilt over Mary Dempster?
5. When it becomes evident to Dunstan that Paul does not want him back stage, what does he do?
6. Why, at Leona's funeral, does Dunstan feel ashamed after speaking with Milo Papple?
7. Why does Mary Dempster meet Dunstan when he visits her with her coat and jacket on?
8. Why does Dunstan enjoy writing the autobiography of Magnus Eisengrim?
9. When Dunstan is in the shrine of the Virgin of Guadalupe, what is he pondering?
10. What are some of the options that Dunstan thinks of while he is in the shrine of the Virgin of Guadalupe for why people believe in miracles and have faith?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Deptford is a small village. It has been shown to have both a good and a bad side. Using examples from the book, please explain whether you believe Deptford is a village of good or bad morals based on how the villagers treated people from their village, and from other places.
Essay Topic 2
Percy and Dunstan are two characters with a relationship throughout the book. How does their relationship benefit each of them when they are children? When they are in university? When they are adults? What kind of relationship does theirs resemble and why? Are they like competitors, or are they more like siblings? Please support your answer with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
If you had to pick one theme that is present throughout the book, what theme would that be? Support your reasoning with examples from the book.
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)