|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Dunstan believe Eisengrim is in love with?
2. Who introduces Eisengrim to Boy?
3. Boy's second wife believes she can get him appointed to what position?
4. The papers reported Boy Staunton was found in his car in the bottom of what harbor?
5. Liesl suggests that Eisengrim set up an automatic payment at the bank to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Paul's hopes for the show after Mexico?
2. What are some of the options that Dunstan thinks of while he is in the shrine of the Virgin of Guadalupe for why people believe in miracles and have faith?
3. Why, at Leona's funeral, does Dunstan feel ashamed after speaking with Milo Papple?
4. Before Dunstan leaves to return to Colborne college, what does he convince Paul to do?
5. When Dunstan is in the shrine of the Virgin of Guadalupe, what is he pondering?
6. Why is Denyse's plan of getting Boy appointed Lieutenant-Governor described as a complicated plan?
7. Why does Dunstan feel that Boy is using him in his entourage?
8. How is Boy's second wife described in the book?
9. After Dunstan moves Mrs. Dempster to a private hospital, what is the major error he commits?
10. Why does Mary Dempster meet Dunstan when he visits her with her coat and jacket on?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing is the use of prior events in storytelling to give an indication of future events in the story. Using examples from the book, explain how is foreshadowing used in this book.
Essay Topic 2
The book covers the transition of three characters from boys to men: Paul Dempster, Percy Staunton, and Dunstan. Pick one of the characters and, using examples from the book, explain how he grew from a boy to a man and what events/people influenced him along the way.
Essay Topic 3
Deptford is a small village. It has been shown to have both a good and a bad side. Using examples from the book, please explain whether you believe Deptford is a village of good or bad morals based on how the villagers treated people from their village, and from other places.
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)