|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Liesl wants to incorporate a thought-reading act into the show called what?
2. Boy describes sex as if it were what sporting event?
3. While Dunstan is in Latin America, what kind of show does he go see?
4. What health problem led to Mary Dempster's death?
5. Who does Eisengrim say was his first magic teacher?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dunstan enjoy writing the autobiography of Magnus Eisengrim?
2. Why does Dunstan feel that Boy is using him in his entourage?
3. What is Boy Staunton's association with the Crown Prince?
4. What is Padre Blazon's personal theory about what will happen when Jesus returns?
5. Who does the head, during a magic show, say killed Boy Staunton?
6. What are the two things that Dunstan gets the Board to agree to instead of naming him Headmaster?
7. After Dunstan moves Mrs. Dempster to a private hospital, what is the major error he commits?
8. Why is Denyse's plan of getting Boy appointed Lieutenant-Governor described as a complicated plan?
9. What are Paul's hopes for the show after Mexico?
10. Why does Dunstan not want to write Boy's memoir when Denyse asks him to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The title of the book is "Fifth Business." What do you think this title is meant to describe? Where in the book is the title mentioned, and why would it be mentioned there? Please support your answer with examples and ideas from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Percy and Dunstan are two characters with a relationship throughout the book. How does their relationship benefit each of them when they are children? When they are in university? When they are adults? What kind of relationship does theirs resemble and why? Are they like competitors, or are they more like siblings? Please support your answer with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Dunstan kept the stone that was in the snowball Percy threw when they were boys. Why did Dunstan keep the stone? Please discuss the themes of consciousness, remembrance, and learning from the past in relation to the loaded snowball event.
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)