|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Dunstan visits Mary Dempster, after his return from Europe, what is she wearing each time he comes?
2. The Board of the school where Dunstan is teaching wants its new Headmaster to be what?
3. Dunstan and his priest friend travel by train to what European city?
4. Where does Dunstan place Mary Dempster for care after her aunt dies?
5. When Dunstan goes out to eat with his priest friend, he pays the bill in exchange for what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the two things that Dunstan gets the Board to agree to instead of naming him Headmaster?
2. What does Dunstan think is suspicious about the way Leola died?
3. Why is Dunstan deemed unacceptable to be Headmaster at the school by the Board?
4. Why does Dunstan feel that Boy is using him in his entourage?
5. When it becomes evident to Dunstan that Paul does not want him back stage, what does he do?
6. How is Boy's second wife described in the book?
7. Why, at Leona's funeral, does Dunstan feel ashamed after speaking with Milo Papple?
8. Why does Padre Blazon, after hearing about Mary Dempster's life and death from Dunstan, believe she is a hero in God's cause?
9. What is Boy Staunton's association with the Crown Prince?
10. What are some of the options that Dunstan thinks of while he is in the shrine of the Virgin of Guadalupe for why people believe in miracles and have faith?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Percy and Dunstan are two characters with a relationship throughout the book. How does their relationship benefit each of them when they are children? When they are in university? When they are adults? What kind of relationship does theirs resemble and why? Are they like competitors, or are they more like siblings? Please support your answer with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
The book covers the transition of three characters from boys to men: Paul Dempster, Percy Staunton, and Dunstan. Pick one of the characters and, using examples from the book, explain how he grew from a boy to a man and what events/people influenced him along the way.
Essay Topic 3
What is the role that magic plays in the life of Paul Dempster? How and why does his interest in magic start? Does magic play any role in his decision to run away? What is Paul doing with magic as an adult? How does Paul describe his relationship with magic? Support your answer with examples from the book.
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)