|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What position is Boy appointed to in the Cabinet?
2. What are the police puzzled to find in Boy's mouth?
3. What is Boy Staunton's best selling item?
4. In addition to caring for Mrs. Dempster, teaching, and being Boy's primary confidant, what publication is Dunstan doing a lot of writing for?
5. What is the name of the daughter of Boy Staunton's second wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Dunstan furious at Boy when Boy gives him the roll of film to develop?
2. Why does Padre Blazon suggest that Dunstan put aside his guilt over Mary Dempster?
3. What does Boy do when he is appointed Minister of Food in the Cabinet?
4. What are the two things that Dunstan gets the Board to agree to instead of naming him Headmaster?
5. Before Dunstan leaves to return to Colborne college, what does he convince Paul to do?
6. Why is Leola a failure as a wife in Boy's eyes?
7. Why does Mary Dempster meet Dunstan when he visits her with her coat and jacket on?
8. When Dunstan tries to remind Boy about the things he has done in his life, including the stone-in-the-snowball incident, Boy responds unpleasantly and accuses Dunstan of what?
9. What is unique about the magic show that Dunstan goes to see in Mexico?
10. How does Boy Staunton make a fortune during the Depression?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Deptford is a small village. It has been shown to have both a good and a bad side. Using examples from the book, please explain whether you believe Deptford is a village of good or bad morals based on how the villagers treated people from their village, and from other places.
Essay Topic 2
Padre Blazon asks Dunstan who his devil is when Dunstan goes and visits him for the last time in Europe. How does Padre Blazon define a "devil," and, using that definition, is Liel really Dunstan's devil, or is it someone else? Why? Please explain your answer with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, what misperceptions did the villagers of Deptford have about Mrs. Dempster that caused them to label her a fool? What ideas and actions did the villagers value that Mrs. Dempster appeared not to value? Why did Mrs. Dempster hold different values?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)