|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the woman Boy Staunton marries after the death of his first wife?
2. Liesl was raised in what religion?
3. Who is Magnus Eisengrim?
4. What is the relationship between Faustina and Eisengrim?
5. Who shows up at Leona's funeral and remarks that it must be hard for Dunstan to lose her a second time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the options that Dunstan thinks of while he is in the shrine of the Virgin of Guadalupe for why people believe in miracles and have faith?
2. When Dunstan tries to remind Boy about the things he has done in his life, including the stone-in-the-snowball incident, Boy responds unpleasantly and accuses Dunstan of what?
3. What are the two things that Dunstan gets the Board to agree to instead of naming him Headmaster?
4. Why is Leola a failure as a wife in Boy's eyes?
5. What causes Boy to take a walk by himself during the Christmas season of 1936?
6. What is unique about the magic show that Dunstan goes to see in Mexico?
7. What memory has Boy suppressed from their childhood that shocks Dunstan when he learns Boy doesn't remember it?
8. What does Dunstan think is suspicious about the way Leola died?
9. Why does Dunstan not want to write Boy's memoir when Denyse asks him to?
10. Why is Dunstan furious at Boy when Boy gives him the roll of film to develop?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dunstan kept the stone that was in the snowball Percy threw when they were boys. Why did Dunstan keep the stone? Please discuss the themes of consciousness, remembrance, and learning from the past in relation to the loaded snowball event.
Essay Topic 2
Dunstan's father dies when he is young, and it is not clear, from the book, who Dunstan uses as his role model. Who do you think Dunstan uses as a father-figure and a role-model and why? Are these types of relationships even important to Dunstan? Please support your answer with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Deptford is a small village. It has been shown to have both a good and a bad side. Using examples from the book, please explain whether you believe Deptford is a village of good or bad morals based on how the villagers treated people from their village, and from other places.
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)