|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Dunstan does not get the job as the new Headmaster, he insists on a paid leave of absence to go where?
2. What does Dunstan find in a local cathedral in Salzburg?
3. In addition to caring for Mrs. Dempster, teaching, and being Boy's primary confidant, what publication is Dunstan doing a lot of writing for?
4. What does Eisengrim tell Boy that he called him during Eisengrim's days in Deptford?
5. What health problem led to Mary Dempster's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Dunstan tries to remind Boy about the things he has done in his life, including the stone-in-the-snowball incident, Boy responds unpleasantly and accuses Dunstan of what?
2. What is unique about the magic show that Dunstan goes to see in Mexico?
3. What are the two things that Dunstan gets the Board to agree to instead of naming him Headmaster?
4. After Dunstan moves Mrs. Dempster to a private hospital, what is the major error he commits?
5. When Dunstan is in the shrine of the Virgin of Guadalupe, what is he pondering?
6. How is Boy's second wife described in the book?
7. Why does Mary Dempster meet Dunstan when he visits her with her coat and jacket on?
8. Why does Padre Blazon suggest that Dunstan put aside his guilt over Mary Dempster?
9. Why is Denyse's plan of getting Boy appointed Lieutenant-Governor described as a complicated plan?
10. Why does Dunstan feel that Boy is using him in his entourage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dunstan's father dies when he is young, and it is not clear, from the book, who Dunstan uses as his role model. Who do you think Dunstan uses as a father-figure and a role-model and why? Are these types of relationships even important to Dunstan? Please support your answer with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
The title of the book is "Fifth Business." What do you think this title is meant to describe? Where in the book is the title mentioned, and why would it be mentioned there? Please support your answer with examples and ideas from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Deptford is a small village. It has been shown to have both a good and a bad side. Using examples from the book, please explain whether you believe Deptford is a village of good or bad morals based on how the villagers treated people from their village, and from other places.
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)