|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the town find Mrs. Dempster after she wanders off at night?
2. Who does Percy hit in the head with a snowball?
3. What is the name of Dunstan's home village?
4. Why does Rev. Dempster prohibit Dunny from speaking to his family?
5. Dunstan becomes victim of what rumors as a bachelor teacher?
Short Essay Questions
1. What steps does Leola take in order to be the wife that Boy wants her to be?
2. What traits does Dunstable observe in the members of his units that are attributed to German officers?
3. What does Dunstable do when he finds the German snipers?
4. Why does Boy choose the Prince of Wales as his role model?
5. When he is presented the V.C. award by the King, what does Dunstable think about heroes?
6. Why is Dunstan unwilling to marry any woman?
7. Why does Dunstan kiss Leola during the celebration of war heroes in the village?
8. Why does Diana give Dunstable the name Dunstan?
9. Although Dunstan's family is not rich, why do they hold a position of privilege in the town?
10. While in Europe searching for the statue he saw on the battlefield, what does Dunstan find that becomes a life-long study?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book, what misperceptions did the villagers of Deptford have about Mrs. Dempster that caused them to label her a fool? What ideas and actions did the villagers value that Mrs. Dempster appeared not to value? Why did Mrs. Dempster hold different values?
Essay Topic 2
Who is the hero of this story, or is there no hero to the story? What characteristics does that character possess that makes them a hero, or what characteristics are lacking in the characters that make none of them a hero? Please support your answer with evidence from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Dunstan's father dies when he is young, and it is not clear, from the book, who Dunstan uses as his role model. Who do you think Dunstan uses as a father-figure and a role-model and why? Are these types of relationships even important to Dunstan? Please support your answer with examples from the text.
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)