|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Percy's mother call him?
2. Where does Dunstan become a teacher?
3. What does the narrator remember from his war experience?
4. With what equipment does Dunny learn tricks that captivate Paul Dempster?
5. What do Diana's parents feel about Diana and Dunstan not marrying?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dunstan feel he can never love Diana?
2. Why does Dunstan become a teacher?
3. How did Dunstan gain his nest egg?
4. Why do the villagers decide that Mrs. Dempster is "simple?"
5. Why was Dunstable relieved to hear the news of his mother's death?
6. Why does Dunny develop the habit of keeping secrets?
7. What does Dunstable do when he finds the German snipers?
8. At the beginning of the story, what happens when the narrator leaves Percy to go home for dinner?
9. Why is Dunstan unwilling to marry any woman?
10. What steps does Leola take in order to be the wife that Boy wants her to be?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book, what misperceptions did the villagers of Deptford have about Mrs. Dempster that caused them to label her a fool? What ideas and actions did the villagers value that Mrs. Dempster appeared not to value? Why did Mrs. Dempster hold different values?
Essay Topic 2
Who is the hero of this story, or is there no hero to the story? What characteristics does that character possess that makes them a hero, or what characteristics are lacking in the characters that make none of them a hero? Please support your answer with evidence from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Dunstan kept the stone that was in the snowball Percy threw when they were boys. Why did Dunstan keep the stone? Please discuss the themes of consciousness, remembrance, and learning from the past in relation to the loaded snowball event.
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)