|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Percy hit in the head with a snowball?
2. The Ramsay family moved to the village from what country?
3. What subject does Dunny study in the library?
4. What is revealed in Europe as Dunstan's life long interest?
5. According to legend, what did St. Dunstan do to the devil?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the beginning of the story, what happens when the narrator leaves Percy to go home for dinner?
2. What does Dunstan, the narrator, tell the Headmaster of the school that he recently retired from, is the point of this book?
3. Boy gives stock tips to Dunstan that help him increase his wealth, but also cause Dunstan to feel what emotions towards Boy?
4. While in Europe searching for the statue he saw on the battlefield, what does Dunstan find that becomes a life-long study?
5. When he is presented the V.C. award by the King, what does Dunstable think about heroes?
6. When Dunstable awakens in the hospital, what has happened to his body?
7. What does Reverend Dempster pray about often?
8. Why does Dunstan kiss Leola during the celebration of war heroes in the village?
9. Why does Dunstan become a teacher?
10. What steps does Leola take in order to be the wife that Boy wants her to be?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing is the use of prior events in storytelling to give an indication of future events in the story. Using examples from the book, explain how is foreshadowing used in this book.
Essay Topic 2
The book covers the transition of three characters from boys to men: Paul Dempster, Percy Staunton, and Dunstan. Pick one of the characters and, using examples from the book, explain how he grew from a boy to a man and what events/people influenced him along the way.
Essay Topic 3
Deptford is a small village. It has been shown to have both a good and a bad side. Using examples from the book, please explain whether you believe Deptford is a village of good or bad morals based on how the villagers treated people from their village, and from other places.
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)