|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news did Dunny's parents receive before they died?
2. What name does Milo Papple give to the Dempster's house?
3. What is the name of the lady who took Mary Dempster away from Deptford?
4. At the age of thirteen, what job does Dunny get?
5. At the beginning of his military service, what emotional ailment did Dunstable suffer from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Boy choose the Prince of Wales as his role model?
2. When he is presented the V.C. award by the King, what does Dunstable think about heroes?
3. What is Boy's logic in thinking that he is not cheating on his fiancee, as told to Dunstan?
4. Why does Dunstan want to teach boys?
5. When Dunstable awakens in the hospital, what has happened to his body?
6. Boy gives stock tips to Dunstan that help him increase his wealth, but also cause Dunstan to feel what emotions towards Boy?
7. Why does Dunny develop the habit of keeping secrets?
8. Why does Dunstable carry around a Bible when he is a soldier?
9. Why do the villagers judge Mrs. Dempster as lacking?
10. At the beginning of the story, what happens when the narrator leaves Percy to go home for dinner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dunstan's father dies when he is young, and it is not clear, from the book, who Dunstan uses as his role model. Who do you think Dunstan uses as a father-figure and a role-model and why? Are these types of relationships even important to Dunstan? Please support your answer with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Dunstan kept the stone that was in the snowball Percy threw when they were boys. Why did Dunstan keep the stone? Please discuss the themes of consciousness, remembrance, and learning from the past in relation to the loaded snowball event.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, what misperceptions did the villagers of Deptford have about Mrs. Dempster that caused them to label her a fool? What ideas and actions did the villagers value that Mrs. Dempster appeared not to value? Why did Mrs. Dempster hold different values?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)