|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Dunstan's commanding officers indoctrinate Dunstan and his fellow soldiers to believe?
2. The night before Dunny departs from the village, what does Leola Cruikshank announce?
3. Who is the prettiest girl in the village?
4. Where does the town find Mrs. Dempster after she wanders off at night?
5. What happened to Dunstan's family's house and newspaper business after he left for school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator recall the date the story begins so clearly?
2. Why does Dunstan kiss Leola during the celebration of war heroes in the village?
3. Why does Boy choose the Prince of Wales as his role model?
4. Why does Dunstan feel he can never love Diana?
5. Although Dunstan's family is not rich, why do they hold a position of privilege in the town?
6. Why does Dunstan want to teach boys?
7. Why was Dunstable relieved to hear the news of his mother's death?
8. Why do the Dempster's always take their stroll around town during the dinner hour?
9. Why does Dunstan become a teacher?
10. Why does Dunny develop the habit of keeping secrets?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Deptford is a small village. It has been shown to have both a good and a bad side. Using examples from the book, please explain whether you believe Deptford is a village of good or bad morals based on how the villagers treated people from their village, and from other places.
Essay Topic 2
Both the Catholic priest in Deptford and Padre Blazon refer to Mary Dempster as a fool-saint, whereas Dunstan thinks of her as a true saint. Please explain what a fool-saint and a saint are, what the differences are between the two, and whether you agree or disagree with the characterization of Mary Dempster as a fool-saint. Support your answer using examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Liesl calls Dunstan one of the "twice-born." What does this mean? Do you agree or disagree with Liesl's characterization of Dunstan? Please support your answer with examples from the text.
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)