|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character was born prematurely?
2. Who is the prettiest girl in the village?
3. When Dunny's mother makes him choose between Mrs. Dempster and her, what is Dunny's choice?
4. How big was the population of Dunstan's home village at the beginning of the story?
5. In the Fall of 1919, what school does Dunstan enter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Boy do when he is appointed Minister of Food in the Cabinet?
2. What are the two things that Dunstan gets the Board to agree to instead of naming him Headmaster?
3. Boy gives stock tips to Dunstan that help him increase his wealth, but also cause Dunstan to feel what emotions towards Boy?
4. Why does Dunstan kiss Leola during the celebration of war heroes in the village?
5. Who does the head, during a magic show, say killed Boy Staunton?
6. What does Dunstan think is suspicious about the way Leola died?
7. Why does Padre Blazon suggest that Dunstan put aside his guilt over Mary Dempster?
8. What memory has Boy suppressed from their childhood that shocks Dunstan when he learns Boy doesn't remember it?
9. What are Paul's hopes for the show after Mexico?
10. What is Boy Staunton's association with the Crown Prince?
Essay Topic 1
Dunstan kept the stone that was in the snowball Percy threw when they were boys. Why did Dunstan keep the stone? Please discuss the themes of consciousness, remembrance, and learning from the past in relation to the loaded snowball event.
Essay Topic 2
Who is the hero of this story, or is there no hero to the story? What characteristics does that character possess that makes them a hero, or what characteristics are lacking in the characters that make none of them a hero? Please support your answer with evidence from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Dunstan's father dies when he is young, and it is not clear, from the book, who Dunstan uses as his role model. Who do you think Dunstan uses as a father-figure and a role-model and why? Are these types of relationships even important to Dunstan? Please support your answer with examples from the text.
This section contains 1,407 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)