|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dunstan give to Leola when he sees her next to Percy?
2. What college is Percy sent away to?
3. The Ramsay family moved to the village from what country?
4. What skills does Mrs. Dempster lack because she grew up with servants?
5. Who gives Dunny the name Dunstan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dunstable do when he finds the German snipers?
2. How did Dunstan gain his nest egg?
3. What does Reverend Dempster pray about often?
4. At the beginning of the story, what happens when the narrator leaves Percy to go home for dinner?
5. What hampers Dunny from learning magic tricks?
6. Boy gives stock tips to Dunstan that help him increase his wealth, but also cause Dunstan to feel what emotions towards Boy?
7. Why does Diana give Dunstable the name Dunstan?
8. What steps does Leola take in order to be the wife that Boy wants her to be?
9. While in Europe searching for the statue he saw on the battlefield, what does Dunstan find that becomes a life-long study?
10. Why does Dunstan become a teacher?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Liesl calls Dunstan one of the "twice-born." What does this mean? Do you agree or disagree with Liesl's characterization of Dunstan? Please support your answer with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, Fate is discussed as a character. Please pick one of the following characters and use examples from the book to describe how Fate works with, or on, that character.
Essay Topic 3
If you had to pick one theme that is present throughout the book, what theme would that be? Support your reasoning with examples from the book.
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)