|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Paul Dempster do when he was 10 years old?
2. What book does Dunstable carry around in his pocket while he is serving at the front?
3. When Dunstan leaves the Mission, what does he give Surgeoner?
4. What happened to Dunstan's family's house and newspaper business after he left for school?
5. What does Dunstan do right after college?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Dunstable awakens in the hospital, what has happened to his body?
2. Although Dunstan's family is not rich, why do they hold a position of privilege in the town?
3. What does Reverend Dempster pray about often?
4. Why does Dunstable carry around a Bible when he is a soldier?
5. Why does Dunstan become a teacher?
6. How did Dunstan gain his nest egg?
7. Why was Dunstable relieved to hear the news of his mother's death?
8. Why does Boy choose the Prince of Wales as his role model?
9. Why does Dunstan kiss Leola during the celebration of war heroes in the village?
10. Why do the villagers judge Mrs. Dempster as lacking?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book covers the transition of three characters from boys to men: Paul Dempster, Percy Staunton, and Dunstan. Pick one of the characters and, using examples from the book, explain how he grew from a boy to a man and what events/people influenced him along the way.
Essay Topic 2
Liesl calls Dunstan one of the "twice-born." What does this mean? Do you agree or disagree with Liesl's characterization of Dunstan? Please support your answer with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Padre Blazon asks Dunstan who his devil is when Dunstan goes and visits him for the last time in Europe. How does Padre Blazon define a "devil," and, using that definition, is Liel really Dunstan's devil, or is it someone else? Why? Please explain your answer with examples from the text.
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)