|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dunstan tour in Europe?
2. What do Percy and Leola name their first child?
3. Where does Dunstan find Paul Dempster and a statue of Wilgefortis?
4. What does Dunstan study in school after the war?
5. Where does Dunstan go in Europe after he graduates?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the beginning of the story, what happens when the narrator leaves Percy to go home for dinner?
2. Why was Dunstable relieved to hear the news of his mother's death?
3. Why do the Dempster's always take their stroll around town during the dinner hour?
4. Why does the narrator recall the date the story begins so clearly?
5. What does Dunstan, the narrator, tell the Headmaster of the school that he recently retired from, is the point of this book?
6. Why does Dunstan become a teacher?
7. Although Dunstan's family is not rich, why do they hold a position of privilege in the town?
8. How did Dunstan gain his nest egg?
9. What does Reverend Dempster pray about often?
10. What does Dunstable do when he finds the German snipers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Deptford is a small village. It has been shown to have both a good and a bad side. Using examples from the book, please explain whether you believe Deptford is a village of good or bad morals based on how the villagers treated people from their village, and from other places.
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing is the use of prior events in storytelling to give an indication of future events in the story. Using examples from the book, explain how is foreshadowing used in this book.
Essay Topic 3
What is the role that magic plays in the life of Paul Dempster? How and why does his interest in magic start? Does magic play any role in his decision to run away? What is Paul doing with magic as an adult? How does Paul describe his relationship with magic? Support your answer with examples from the book.
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)