|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is revealed in Europe as Dunstan's life long interest?
2. What military division was Dunstable part of?
3. Who introduces Dunstan to the concept of a "fool-saint?"
4. With what equipment does Dunny learn tricks that captivate Paul Dempster?
5. What college is Percy sent away to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Boy's second wife described in the book?
2. How did Dunstan gain his nest egg?
3. Before Dunstan leaves to return to Colborne college, what does he convince Paul to do?
4. Although Dunstan's family is not rich, why do they hold a position of privilege in the town?
5. Why is Dunstan unwilling to marry any woman?
6. What words from Mrs. Dempster come back to Dunstable when he is lying wounded in the church?
7. How does Boy Staunton make a fortune during the Depression?
8. Why is Dunstan furious at Boy when Boy gives him the roll of film to develop?
9. What steps does Leola take in order to be the wife that Boy wants her to be?
10. Why do the villagers decide that Mrs. Dempster is "simple?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using the descriptions of saints that are provided in the book, which saint most resembles Dunstan and why?
Essay Topic 2
If you had to pick one theme that is present throughout the book, what theme would that be? Support your reasoning with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
The book covers the transition of three characters from boys to men: Paul Dempster, Percy Staunton, and Dunstan. Pick one of the characters and, using examples from the book, explain how he grew from a boy to a man and what events/people influenced him along the way.
This section contains 1,369 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)