|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name for someone who is a know it all?
2. What book does Dunstable carry around in his pocket while he is serving at the front?
3. How old was the narrator on December 27, 1908?
4. What were Percy and the narrator doing in the snow at the beginning of the story?
5. What rank does Dunstable achieve before he is twenty years-old?
Short Essay Questions
1. What words from Mrs. Dempster come back to Dunstable when he is lying wounded in the church?
2. Although Dunstan's family is not rich, why do they hold a position of privilege in the town?
3. Why is Dunstan unwilling to marry any woman?
4. What does Reverend Dempster pray about often?
5. While in Europe searching for the statue he saw on the battlefield, what does Dunstan find that becomes a life-long study?
6. What steps does Leola take in order to be the wife that Boy wants her to be?
7. Why does Dunstable carry around a Bible when he is a soldier?
8. At the beginning of the story, what happens when the narrator leaves Percy to go home for dinner?
9. Why do the villagers judge Mrs. Dempster as lacking?
10. Why does Dunstan want to teach boys?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Deptford is a small village. It has been shown to have both a good and a bad side. Using examples from the book, please explain whether you believe Deptford is a village of good or bad morals based on how the villagers treated people from their village, and from other places.
Essay Topic 2
Dunstan's father dies when he is young, and it is not clear, from the book, who Dunstan uses as his role model. Who do you think Dunstan uses as a father-figure and a role-model and why? Are these types of relationships even important to Dunstan? Please support your answer with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, what misperceptions did the villagers of Deptford have about Mrs. Dempster that caused them to label her a fool? What ideas and actions did the villagers value that Mrs. Dempster appeared not to value? Why did Mrs. Dempster hold different values?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)