|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was the narrator on December 27, 1908?
2. What does Percy's mother call him?
3. What does Mrs. Dempster do to bring Willie back to life?
4. Who is the leader of the circus Paul belongs to?
5. What does Dunstan study in school after the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. Boy wants Dunstan to drop his fixation with saints, but Dunstan feels differently about his path in life. Why?
2. What steps does Leola take in order to be the wife that Boy wants her to be?
3. Why does Dunstable carry around a Bible when he is a soldier?
4. Why does Dunstan become a teacher?
5. Why does the narrator recall the date the story begins so clearly?
6. At the beginning of the story, what happens when the narrator leaves Percy to go home for dinner?
7. How did Dunstan gain his nest egg?
8. Why does Diana give Dunstable the name Dunstan?
9. Although Dunstan's family is not rich, why do they hold a position of privilege in the town?
10. Boy gives stock tips to Dunstan that help him increase his wealth, but also cause Dunstan to feel what emotions towards Boy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the definition of a conscience, and can someone be a conscience for someone else? Does Dunstan act as Boy/Percy Staunton's conscience? Please support your answers with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
The title of the book is "Fifth Business." What do you think this title is meant to describe? Where in the book is the title mentioned, and why would it be mentioned there? Please support your answer with examples and ideas from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, what misperceptions did the villagers of Deptford have about Mrs. Dempster that caused them to label her a fool? What ideas and actions did the villagers value that Mrs. Dempster appeared not to value? Why did Mrs. Dempster hold different values?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)