Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character was born prematurely?
2. Who is the prettiest girl in the village?
3. When Dunny's mother makes him choose between Mrs. Dempster and her, what is Dunny's choice?
4. How big was the population of Dunstan's home village at the beginning of the story?
5. In the Fall of 1919, what school does Dunstan enter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Boy do when he is appointed Minister of Food in the Cabinet?
2. What are the two things that Dunstan gets the Board to agree to instead of naming him Headmaster?
3. Boy gives stock tips to Dunstan that help him increase his wealth, but also cause Dunstan to feel what emotions towards Boy?
4. Why does Dunstan kiss Leola during the celebration of war heroes in the village?
5. Who does the head, during a magic show, say killed Boy Staunton?
6. What does Dunstan think is suspicious about the way Leola died?
7. Why does Padre Blazon suggest that Dunstan put aside his guilt over Mary Dempster?
8. What memory has Boy suppressed from their childhood that shocks Dunstan when he learns Boy doesn't remember it?
9. What are Paul's hopes for the show after Mexico?
10. What is Boy Staunton's association with the Crown Prince?
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book, how has Dunstan's personality and character changed throughout the story? When he was a child, how did he deal with his problems? How does he deal with them as an adult? What was important to him as a child, and what is important to him now? Why did Dunstan's character change?
Essay Topic 2
Percy and Dunstan are two characters with a relationship throughout the book. How does their relationship benefit each of them when they are children? When they are in university? When they are adults? What kind of relationship does theirs resemble and why? Are they like competitors, or are they more like siblings? Please support your answer with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
The book covers the transition of three characters from boys to men: Paul Dempster, Percy Staunton, and Dunstan. Pick one of the characters and, using examples from the book, explain how he grew from a boy to a man and what events/people influenced him along the way.
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)