|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The night before Dunny departs from the village, what does Leola Cruikshank announce?
2. What does the narrator remember from his war experience?
3. Where does the village gather to celebrate Dunstan's return?
4. At the age of thirteen, what job does Dunny get?
5. What do Diana's parents feel about Diana and Dunstan not marrying?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Dempster's always take their stroll around town during the dinner hour?
2. When he is presented the V.C. award by the King, what does Dunstable think about heroes?
3. How did Dunstan gain his nest egg?
4. Why does Diana give Dunstable the name Dunstan?
5. Boy wants Dunstan to drop his fixation with saints, but Dunstan feels differently about his path in life. Why?
6. Why does Boy choose the Prince of Wales as his role model?
7. Why does the narrator recall the date the story begins so clearly?
8. Why does Dunstan feel he can never love Diana?
9. What steps does Leola take in order to be the wife that Boy wants her to be?
10. Why do the villagers decide that Mrs. Dempster is "simple?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
If you had to pick one theme that is present throughout the book, what theme would that be? Support your reasoning with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
What is the role that magic plays in the life of Paul Dempster? How and why does his interest in magic start? Does magic play any role in his decision to run away? What is Paul doing with magic as an adult? How does Paul describe his relationship with magic? Support your answer with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Dunstan kept the stone that was in the snowball Percy threw when they were boys. Why did Dunstan keep the stone? Please discuss the themes of consciousness, remembrance, and learning from the past in relation to the loaded snowball event.
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)