|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who presents Dunny with his military award?
2. What does Dunny tell Diana he wants to do after the war?
3. How old was the narrator on December 27, 1908?
4. What name does Milo Papple give to the Dempster's house?
5. What is revealed in Europe as Dunstan's life long interest?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Reverend Dempster pray about often?
2. What traits does Dunstable observe in the members of his units that are attributed to German officers?
3. Boy wants Dunstan to drop his fixation with saints, but Dunstan feels differently about his path in life. Why?
4. When Dunstable awakens in the hospital, what has happened to his body?
5. What does Dunstable do when he finds the German snipers?
6. At the beginning of the story, what happens when the narrator leaves Percy to go home for dinner?
7. Why does Dunstan kiss Leola during the celebration of war heroes in the village?
8. When he is presented the V.C. award by the King, what does Dunstable think about heroes?
9. Why does Dunstan feel he can never love Diana?
10. Why does the narrator recall the date the story begins so clearly?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Deptford is a small village. It has been shown to have both a good and a bad side. Using examples from the book, please explain whether you believe Deptford is a village of good or bad morals based on how the villagers treated people from their village, and from other places.
Essay Topic 2
Who is the hero of this story, or is there no hero to the story? What characteristics does that character possess that makes them a hero, or what characteristics are lacking in the characters that make none of them a hero? Please support your answer with evidence from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Dunstan kept the stone that was in the snowball Percy threw when they were boys. Why did Dunstan keep the stone? Please discuss the themes of consciousness, remembrance, and learning from the past in relation to the loaded snowball event.
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)