|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what equipment does Dunny learn tricks that captivate Paul Dempster?
2. Dunstable's actions in battle won him what award?
3. Who presents Dunny with his military award?
4. Which church does Dunstan visit on his way out of town after his parents' funeral?
5. What does the Catholic priest say to Dunstan's comment that Mrs. Dempster is a saint?
Short Essay Questions
1. What words from Mrs. Dempster come back to Dunstable when he is lying wounded in the church?
2. Why does Dunstan feel he can never love Diana?
3. Boy wants Dunstan to drop his fixation with saints, but Dunstan feels differently about his path in life. Why?
4. Why does Boy choose the Prince of Wales as his role model?
5. When he is presented the V.C. award by the King, what does Dunstable think about heroes?
6. Why does Dunny develop the habit of keeping secrets?
7. Why does Dunstan want to teach boys?
8. Why does the narrator recall the date the story begins so clearly?
9. When Dunstable awakens in the hospital, what has happened to his body?
10. Why do the villagers judge Mrs. Dempster as lacking?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book covers the transition of three characters from boys to men: Paul Dempster, Percy Staunton, and Dunstan. Pick one of the characters and, using examples from the book, explain how he grew from a boy to a man and what events/people influenced him along the way.
Essay Topic 2
Pick one of the following, and write about how the new name does or does not support the character's persona. Use examples from the text.
1. Dunstan as the Saint.
2. Percy as Boy.
3. Paul as Eisengrim.
Essay Topic 3
Who is the hero of this story, or is there no hero to the story? What characteristics does that character possess that makes them a hero, or what characteristics are lacking in the characters that make none of them a hero? Please support your answer with evidence from the text.
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)