|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Diana's parents feel about Diana and Dunstan not marrying?
2. What does Dunstan give to Leola when he sees her next to Percy?
3. What does Dunstan do right after college?
4. What college is Percy sent away to?
5. How big was the population of Dunstan's home village at the beginning of the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dunny develop the habit of keeping secrets?
2. At the beginning of the story, what happens when the narrator leaves Percy to go home for dinner?
3. Why does Diana give Dunstable the name Dunstan?
4. Why is Dunstan unwilling to marry any woman?
5. Why do the Dempster's always take their stroll around town during the dinner hour?
6. How did Dunstan gain his nest egg?
7. While in Europe searching for the statue he saw on the battlefield, what does Dunstan find that becomes a life-long study?
8. When Dunstable awakens in the hospital, what has happened to his body?
9. What does Dunstable do when he finds the German snipers?
10. Boy wants Dunstan to drop his fixation with saints, but Dunstan feels differently about his path in life. Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The title of the book is "Fifth Business." What do you think this title is meant to describe? Where in the book is the title mentioned, and why would it be mentioned there? Please support your answer with examples and ideas from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing is the use of prior events in storytelling to give an indication of future events in the story. Using examples from the book, explain how is foreshadowing used in this book.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, how has Dunstan's personality and character changed throughout the story? When he was a child, how did he deal with his problems? How does he deal with them as an adult? What was important to him as a child, and what is important to him now? Why did Dunstan's character change?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)