|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news did Dunny's parents receive before they died?
2. What were Percy and the narrator doing in the snow at the beginning of the story?
3. What does Dunstan give to Leola when he sees her next to Percy?
4. When Dunny's mother makes him choose between Mrs. Dempster and her, what is Dunny's choice?
5. Joel Surgeoner is the head of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dunny develop the habit of keeping secrets?
2. What does Dunstable do when he finds the German snipers?
3. Why does Diana give Dunstable the name Dunstan?
4. At the beginning of the story, what happens when the narrator leaves Percy to go home for dinner?
5. Why do the Dempster's always take their stroll around town during the dinner hour?
6. What does Reverend Dempster pray about often?
7. How did Dunstan gain his nest egg?
8. Although Dunstan's family is not rich, why do they hold a position of privilege in the town?
9. Why is Dunstan unwilling to marry any woman?
10. Why was Dunstable relieved to hear the news of his mother's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The title of the book is "Fifth Business." What do you think this title is meant to describe? Where in the book is the title mentioned, and why would it be mentioned there? Please support your answer with examples and ideas from the book.
Essay Topic 2
The book covers the transition of three characters from boys to men: Paul Dempster, Percy Staunton, and Dunstan. Pick one of the characters and, using examples from the book, explain how he grew from a boy to a man and what events/people influenced him along the way.
Essay Topic 3
If you had to pick one theme that is present throughout the book, what theme would that be? Support your reasoning with examples from the book.
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)