|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What book does Dunny read often to Paul in order to have Paul watch him perform tricks?
(a) A Child's Book of Saints.
(b) A Child's Book of the Church.
(c) A Child's Book of Magic Tricks.
(d) A Child's Book of Tricks.
2. Dunstan recognizes Joel Surgeoner as the tramp/vagrant who did what?
(a) Led Amsa Dempster to Mary Dempster.
(b) Ran away with Paul Dempster.
(c) Stole Mary Dempster from her house.
(d) Led Mary Dempster to her downfall.
3. Who is Percy caught in a sexual act with?
(a) Leola Cruikshank.
(b) Mabel Heighington.
(c) Denna Parcival.
(d) Leanna Dummster.
4. What part of Dunstable's body is amputated?
(a) His foot.
(b) His hand.
(c) His arm.
(d) His leg.
5. When Dunny's mother makes him choose between Mrs. Dempster and her, what is Dunny's choice?
(a) To enlist in the military.
(b) Mrs. Dempster.
(c) His mother.
(d) To leave town to go to college.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the leader of the circus Paul belongs to?
2. Who gives Dunny the name Dunstan?
3. What skills does Mrs. Dempster lack because she grew up with servants?
4. When Dunstan leaves the Mission, what does he give Surgeoner?
5. According to legend, what did St. Dunstan do to the devil?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Padre Blazon suggest that Dunstan put aside his guilt over Mary Dempster?
2. Why, at Leona's funeral, does Dunstan feel ashamed after speaking with Milo Papple?
3. What does Reverend Dempster pray about often?
4. Why does Dunstable carry around a Bible when he is a soldier?
5. Why does Dunstan feel that Boy is using him in his entourage?
6. Why does Dunstan not want to write Boy's memoir when Denyse asks him to?
7. What does Dunstan, the narrator, tell the Headmaster of the school that he recently retired from, is the point of this book?
8. Why does Dunstan feel he can never love Diana?
9. After Dunstan moves Mrs. Dempster to a private hospital, what is the major error he commits?
10. Why does Boy choose the Prince of Wales as his role model?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)