|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the town find Mrs. Dempster after she wanders off at night?
(a) In the bushes behind the church.
(b) In the gravel pits in a clump of bushes.
(c) In the bushes off the road.
(d) In the gravel pits behind a tree.
2. In the Fall of 1919, what school does Dunstan enter?
(a) University College.
(b) Colgate College.
(c) Quebec University.
(d) Edward University.
3. What does Mrs. Dempster do to bring Willie back to life?
(a) Prays over him.
(b) Prays and calls out his name.
(c) Breathes on him and calls his name.
4. Why does Rev. Dempster prohibit Dunny from speaking to his family?
(a) Because he corrupted Mrs. Dempster by making her laugh a lot.
(b) Because Rev. Dempster finds out that Dunny likes Paul and Mrs. Dempster.
(c) Because he corrupts the family by making them think they are accepted by the village.
(d) Because he corrupted Paul by teaching him magic and about the saints.
5. Which character was born prematurely?
(a) Paul Dempster.
(b) Leola Cruikshank.
(c) Percy Stanton.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dunny tell Diana he wants to do after the war?
2. After passing out, unconscious from blood loss, where does Dunstable wake up?
3. During his college years, who is Percy Staunton's role model?
4. What is the name of Dunstable's nurse in the hospital?
5. What does Dunstan give to Leola when he sees her next to Percy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dunstan want to teach boys?
2. What traits does Dunstable observe in the members of his units that are attributed to German officers?
3. Why does Boy choose the Prince of Wales as his role model?
4. Boy gives stock tips to Dunstan that help him increase his wealth, but also cause Dunstan to feel what emotions towards Boy?
5. Why does Dunstan kiss Leola during the celebration of war heroes in the village?
6. Why does Dunstan become a teacher?
7. At the beginning of the story, what happens when the narrator leaves Percy to go home for dinner?
8. Why do the Dempster's always take their stroll around town during the dinner hour?
9. What does Reverend Dempster pray about often?
10. Why does Dunstan feel he can never love Diana?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)