|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to legend, what did St. Dunstan do to the devil?
(a) Walked away when the devil tempted him.
(b) Twisted his nose with goldsmith's tongs.
(c) Spat in his face and didn't give in to temptation.
(d) Twisted his hand when the devil reached out in friendship.
2. What nickname does Dunstable live down by performing a raunchy vaudevillian impersonation of Charlie Chaplain for the troops?
3. What do Dunstan's commanding officers indoctrinate Dunstan and his fellow soldiers to believe?
(a) All Germans deserve to be killed.
(b) All Canadians are the best soldiers.
(c) All Germans are the devil incarnate.
(d) All Canadians who serve in the military are true men.
4. Who gives Dunny the name Dunstan?
(d) He gives it to himself.
5. At the beginning of his military service, what emotional ailment did Dunstable suffer from?
(d) Home sickness.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Amasa Dempster refuse to prosecute the man Mrs. Dempster was found with?
2. What does Dunstan do right after college?
3. What is the name of the narrator of the story?
4. What happened to Dunstan's family's house and newspaper business after he left for school?
5. What military division was Dunstable part of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Boy choose the Prince of Wales as his role model?
2. What does Reverend Dempster pray about often?
3. Why does Dunny develop the habit of keeping secrets?
4. Why does Dunstable carry around a Bible when he is a soldier?
5. What does Dunstan, the narrator, tell the Headmaster of the school that he recently retired from, is the point of this book?
6. Boy wants Dunstan to drop his fixation with saints, but Dunstan feels differently about his path in life. Why?
7. Why does Dunstan want to teach boys?
8. When Dunstable awakens in the hospital, what has happened to his body?
9. Why do the villagers judge Mrs. Dempster as lacking?
10. What is Boy's logic in thinking that he is not cheating on his fiancee, as told to Dunstan?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)