|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the lady who took Mary Dempster away from Deptford?
(a) Miss Beth Sharky.
(b) Miss Belinda Shales.
(c) Miss Becky Shavels.
(d) Miss Bertha Shanklin.
2. Where does the town find Mrs. Dempster after she wanders off at night?
(a) In the bushes behind the church.
(b) In the bushes off the road.
(c) In the gravel pits in a clump of bushes.
(d) In the gravel pits behind a tree.
3. Why does Rev. Dempster prohibit Dunny from speaking to his family?
(a) Because he corrupted Mrs. Dempster by making her laugh a lot.
(b) Because he corrupts the family by making them think they are accepted by the village.
(c) Because he corrupted Paul by teaching him magic and about the saints.
(d) Because Rev. Dempster finds out that Dunny likes Paul and Mrs. Dempster.
4. What were Percy and the narrator doing in the snow at the beginning of the story?
(b) Making snowmen.
(d) Making forts.
5. What subject does Dunny study in the library?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Percy and Leola name their first child?
2. Dunstan becomes victim of what rumors as a bachelor teacher?
3. Dunny's parents were killed by what?
4. During his college years, Percy Staunton renamed himself what?
5. What part of Dunstable's body is amputated?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Boy choose the Prince of Wales as his role model?
2. Why do the villagers decide that Mrs. Dempster is "simple?"
3. Why does Dunstan feel he can never love Diana?
4. Why does Dunny develop the habit of keeping secrets?
5. Boy gives stock tips to Dunstan that help him increase his wealth, but also cause Dunstan to feel what emotions towards Boy?
6. What words from Mrs. Dempster come back to Dunstable when he is lying wounded in the church?
7. Why does Dunstable carry around a Bible when he is a soldier?
8. What does Dunstan, the narrator, tell the Headmaster of the school that he recently retired from, is the point of this book?
9. What does Reverend Dempster pray about often?
10. Why does Dunstan kiss Leola during the celebration of war heroes in the village?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)