|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the narrator's intended audience?
(a) The Headmaster of the school from which Dunstan Ramsay has retired.
(b) The Headmaster of the school where Percy Stanton graduated from.
(c) The Headmaster of the school where the narrator teaches.
(d) The Headmaster of the school from which Dunstan Ramsay was fired.
2. Where does Dunstan find Paul Dempster and a statue of Wilgefortis?
3. Who gives Dunny the name Dunstan?
(c) He gives it to himself.
4. Who cuts Dunstan's hair at the barbershop after his return to the village?
(a) Mike Popple.
(b) Milo Papple.
(c) Percy Staunton.
(d) Paul Dempster.
5. After passing out, unconscious from blood loss, where does Dunstable wake up?
(a) In a hospital in England.
(b) In a hospital in America.
(c) In a hospital in France.
(d) In a hospital in Canada.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nickname does Dunstable live down by performing a raunchy vaudevillian impersonation of Charlie Chaplain for the troops?
2. In an effort to find shelter during a night raid, what does Dunstable run into that saves his men from enemy fire?
3. Who is Percy caught in a sexual act with?
4. What does Percy's mother call him?
5. What type of damage did the snowball cause to the person it hit?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the beginning of the story, what happens when the narrator leaves Percy to go home for dinner?
2. Why does Diana give Dunstable the name Dunstan?
3. Why do the villagers decide that Mrs. Dempster is "simple?"
4. What does Dunstan, the narrator, tell the Headmaster of the school that he recently retired from, is the point of this book?
5. Why does Boy choose the Prince of Wales as his role model?
6. Why does Dunstan kiss Leola during the celebration of war heroes in the village?
7. Boy gives stock tips to Dunstan that help him increase his wealth, but also cause Dunstan to feel what emotions towards Boy?
8. What hampers Dunny from learning magic tricks?
9. Why does Dunstan become a teacher?
10. Why does Dunstan feel he can never love Diana?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)