|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who cuts Dunstan's hair at the barbershop after his return to the village?
(a) Mike Popple.
(b) Paul Dempster.
(c) Milo Papple.
(d) Percy Staunton.
2. After Amasa Dempster gives his resignation to his congregation, what does rumor say he does with Mrs. Dempster?
(a) Mrs. Dempster is killed by her husband.
(b) Mrs. Dempster is sent to live with someone else.
(c) Mrs. Dempster is tied up to a rope in the house.
(d) Mrs. Dempster is committed to an institution for crazy people.
3. What is the name for someone who is a know it all?
4. What book does Dunstable carry around in his pocket while he is serving at the front?
(a) A Bible.
(b) A book of magic tricks.
(c) A book of jokes.
(d) A book of prayers.
5. What does Dunstan do when he visits his parents' now empty house?
(a) Clean the house and put it up for sale.
(b) Leave it as is and put it up for sale.
(c) Take everything out to the dump.
(d) Clear out a few things.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the narrator of the story?
2. What is the name of Dunstan's home village?
3. The "fool-saint" comes from which religious tradition?
4. Dunstable's actions in battle won him what award?
5. Who presents Dunny with his military award?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Diana give Dunstable the name Dunstan?
2. Why does Dunstable carry around a Bible when he is a soldier?
3. Although Dunstan's family is not rich, why do they hold a position of privilege in the town?
4. When he is presented the V.C. award by the King, what does Dunstable think about heroes?
5. What traits does Dunstable observe in the members of his units that are attributed to German officers?
6. Why does Dunstan want to teach boys?
7. Why does Boy choose the Prince of Wales as his role model?
8. Why do the Dempster's always take their stroll around town during the dinner hour?
9. How did Dunstan gain his nest egg?
10. What words from Mrs. Dempster come back to Dunstable when he is lying wounded in the church?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)