|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Rev. Dempster prohibit Dunny from speaking to his family?
(a) Because he corrupted Mrs. Dempster by making her laugh a lot.
(b) Because he corrupts the family by making them think they are accepted by the village.
(c) Because Rev. Dempster finds out that Dunny likes Paul and Mrs. Dempster.
(d) Because he corrupted Paul by teaching him magic and about the saints.
2. What rank does Dunstable achieve before he is twenty years-old?
3. The night before Dunny departs from the village, what does Leola Cruikshank announce?
(a) That she will marry Dunny.
(b) That she wants to go with Dunny.
(c) That she still loves Percy.
(d) That Dunny has replaced Percy in her heart.
4. Why does Amasa Dempster refuse to prosecute the man Mrs. Dempster was found with?
(a) Because he does not want to bring more humiliation on Mrs. Dempster.
(b) Because he is afraid of the shame.
(c) Because Mrs. Dempster doesn't want him to.
(d) Because Mrs. Dempster was a willing participant.
5. What is the name of the lady who took Mary Dempster away from Deptford?
(a) Miss Belinda Shales.
(b) Miss Beth Sharky.
(c) Miss Becky Shavels.
(d) Miss Bertha Shanklin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What religion is Mrs. Ramsay?
2. Who is Percy caught in a sexual act with?
3. Where does Dunstan become a teacher?
4. How many years does Dunstan spend in college?
5. What subject does Percy study in college?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dunny develop the habit of keeping secrets?
2. Why was Dunstable relieved to hear the news of his mother's death?
3. Why do the Dempster's always take their stroll around town during the dinner hour?
4. What words from Mrs. Dempster come back to Dunstable when he is lying wounded in the church?
5. While in Europe searching for the statue he saw on the battlefield, what does Dunstan find that becomes a life-long study?
6. What does Reverend Dempster pray about often?
7. What does Dunstable do when he finds the German snipers?
8. Although Dunstan's family is not rich, why do they hold a position of privilege in the town?
9. Why does the narrator recall the date the story begins so clearly?
10. What is Boy's logic in thinking that he is not cheating on his fiancee, as told to Dunstan?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)