|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Rev. Dempster prohibit Dunny from speaking to his family?
(a) Because he corrupts the family by making them think they are accepted by the village.
(b) Because he corrupted Mrs. Dempster by making her laugh a lot.
(c) Because he corrupted Paul by teaching him magic and about the saints.
(d) Because Rev. Dempster finds out that Dunny likes Paul and Mrs. Dempster.
2. What does Dunny tell Diana he wants to do after the war?
(a) Return to Canada and go to university.
(b) Stay where he is and marry Diana.
(c) Stay where he is an go to university.
(d) Return to Canada and marry Leola.
3. Who does Percy hit in the head with a snowball?
(a) Mr. Dempster.
(b) Mrs. Dempster.
(d) Mrs. Staunton.
4. After Amasa Dempster gives his resignation to his congregation, what does rumor say he does with Mrs. Dempster?
(a) Mrs. Dempster is tied up to a rope in the house.
(b) Mrs. Dempster is sent to live with someone else.
(c) Mrs. Dempster is killed by her husband.
(d) Mrs. Dempster is committed to an institution for crazy people.
5. Why does Amasa Dempster refuse to prosecute the man Mrs. Dempster was found with?
(a) Because he does not want to bring more humiliation on Mrs. Dempster.
(b) Because he is afraid of the shame.
(c) Because Mrs. Dempster was a willing participant.
(d) Because Mrs. Dempster doesn't want him to.
Short Answer Questions
1. During his college years, who is Percy Staunton's role model?
2. What does Mrs. Dempster do to bring Willie back to life?
3. According to legend, what did St. Dunstan do to the devil?
4. What religion is Mrs. Ramsay?
5. What does Dunstan tour in Europe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dunstan feel he can never love Diana?
2. Why does Dunstable carry around a Bible when he is a soldier?
3. Boy gives stock tips to Dunstan that help him increase his wealth, but also cause Dunstan to feel what emotions towards Boy?
4. Although Dunstan's family is not rich, why do they hold a position of privilege in the town?
5. Why do the Dempster's always take their stroll around town during the dinner hour?
6. What steps does Leola take in order to be the wife that Boy wants her to be?
7. Boy wants Dunstan to drop his fixation with saints, but Dunstan feels differently about his path in life. Why?
8. Why was Dunstable relieved to hear the news of his mother's death?
9. What traits does Dunstable observe in the members of his units that are attributed to German officers?
10. Why does Dunstan want to teach boys?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)