|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to legend, what did St. Dunstan do to the devil?
(a) Twisted his nose with goldsmith's tongs.
(b) Walked away when the devil tempted him.
(c) Twisted his hand when the devil reached out in friendship.
(d) Spat in his face and didn't give in to temptation.
2. The Ramsay family moved to the village from what country?
3. What do Percy and Leola name their first child?
(a) Charles Edward.
(b) David Edward.
(c) Edward David.
(d) Edward Charles.
4. What is the name of the lady who took Mary Dempster away from Deptford?
(a) Miss Beth Sharky.
(b) Miss Becky Shavels.
(c) Miss Bertha Shanklin.
(d) Miss Belinda Shales.
5. What book does Dunstable carry around in his pocket while he is serving at the front?
(a) A book of jokes.
(b) A book of magic tricks.
(c) A Bible.
(d) A book of prayers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the prettiest girl in the village?
2. What book does Dunny read often to Paul in order to have Paul watch him perform tricks?
3. What name does Milo Papple give to the Dempster's house?
4. During his college years, who is Percy Staunton's role model?
5. What is the title of Dunstan's first published book?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dunstan become a teacher?
2. Why is Dunstan unwilling to marry any woman?
3. At the beginning of the story, what happens when the narrator leaves Percy to go home for dinner?
4. Why does Dunstan want to teach boys?
5. When Dunstable awakens in the hospital, what has happened to his body?
6. Why does Dunstan feel he can never love Diana?
7. Why does Dunny develop the habit of keeping secrets?
8. What hampers Dunny from learning magic tricks?
9. What does Dunstable do when he finds the German snipers?
10. Why does Boy choose the Prince of Wales as his role model?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)