|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What subject does Dunny study in the library?
2. With what equipment does Dunny learn tricks that captivate Paul Dempster?
(d) Top Hat.
3. Who is Percy caught in a sexual act with?
(a) Leanna Dummster.
(b) Mabel Heighington.
(c) Leola Cruikshank.
(d) Denna Parcival.
4. What skills does Mrs. Dempster lack because she grew up with servants?
(a) Child-raising and book-keeping skills.
(b) Housekeeping and culinary skills.
(c) Culinary and child-raising skills.
(d) Housekeeping and book-keeping skills.
5. How old was the narrator on December 27, 1908?
(a) Ten years and seven months.
(b) Ten years and nine months.
(c) Ten years and eight months.
(d) Ten years and six months.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who presents Dunny with his military award?
2. Where does the town find Mrs. Dempster after she wanders off at night?
3. What were Percy and the narrator doing in the snow at the beginning of the story?
4. Who cuts Dunstan's hair at the barbershop after his return to the village?
5. Dunstan recognizes Joel Surgeoner as the tramp/vagrant who did what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Boy Staunton make a fortune during the Depression?
2. Why does Dunny develop the habit of keeping secrets?
3. Why is Dunstan deemed unacceptable to be Headmaster at the school by the Board?
4. How is Boy's second wife described in the book?
5. Why does Dunstable carry around a Bible when he is a soldier?
6. What does Dunstan, the narrator, tell the Headmaster of the school that he recently retired from, is the point of this book?
7. When it becomes evident to Dunstan that Paul does not want him back stage, what does he do?
8. What are Paul's hopes for the show after Mexico?
9. What does Reverend Dempster pray about often?
10. What does Boy do when he is appointed Minister of Food in the Cabinet?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)