|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Dunny's parents were killed by what?
(a) The flu epidemic of 1919.
(b) The flu epidemic of 1920.
(c) The flu epidemic of 1918.
(d) The flu epidemic of 1917.
2. Who is the narrator's intended audience?
(a) The Headmaster of the school from which Dunstan Ramsay has retired.
(b) The Headmaster of the school where Percy Stanton graduated from.
(c) The Headmaster of the school where the narrator teaches.
(d) The Headmaster of the school from which Dunstan Ramsay was fired.
3. What does Dunstan do when he visits his parents' now empty house?
(a) Clean the house and put it up for sale.
(b) Clear out a few things.
(c) Leave it as is and put it up for sale.
(d) Take everything out to the dump.
4. When Dunny's mother makes him choose between Mrs. Dempster and her, what is Dunny's choice?
(a) To enlist in the military.
(b) Mrs. Dempster.
(c) To leave town to go to college.
(d) His mother.
5. Who introduces Dunstan to the concept of a "fool-saint?"
(a) The Catholic priest.
(b) The Protestant priest.
(c) The Anglican priest.
(d) The Baptist priest.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Percy, Leola and Dunstan meet after Percy and Leola's wedding?
2. In what country is Dunstable stationed at the Front?
3. What were Percy and the narrator doing in the snow at the beginning of the story?
4. What skills does Mrs. Dempster lack because she grew up with servants?
5. Where does Dunstan go in Europe after he graduates?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Dunstan unwilling to marry any woman?
2. Why does Padre Blazon suggest that Dunstan put aside his guilt over Mary Dempster?
3. What are Paul's hopes for the show after Mexico?
4. Why does Dunstable carry around a Bible when he is a soldier?
5. Who does the head, during a magic show, say killed Boy Staunton?
6. Why does the narrator recall the date the story begins so clearly?
7. Why, at Leona's funeral, does Dunstan feel ashamed after speaking with Milo Papple?
8. Why is Dunstan deemed unacceptable to be Headmaster at the school by the Board?
9. How is Boy's second wife described in the book?
10. Why does Dunstan feel that Boy is using him in his entourage?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)